Misbah's century saves a disappointing day

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Jul 14, 2016.

Misbah's century saves a disappointing day

by Abdul Habib
Jul 14, 2016 at 8:37 PM
  1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    misbah-article.png

The build up to the match was all about Amir.

Should he play? Had he been punished enough? Was he still the same prodigy from 6 years ago? The rest of the Pakistan team seemed to be totally forgotten.

After winning the toss, Misbah opted to bat first. The Sun was out, the pitch was flat enough and Anderson wasn't playing. It was a good chance for Pakistan's batsmen to put a score on the board that their bowlers could defend. More importantly it would put Amir and his return on the backburner for a couple of days at least.

Hafeez and Shan opened together. Despite being the local boy, Shan struggled to score playing a far more defensive game than the standard of bowling and the lack of movement from the pitch warranted. At the other end, Hafeez took a few chances and started the scoreboard moving at a good pace.

Shan ended up putting too much pressure on himself and got out early, Hafeez took one chance too many and was out not long after leaving Azhar and Younis at the crease. Azhar ground out a typically slow start and got out not long after.

Pakistan were 77/3 in the 28th over and once again it was down to Younis and Misbah to steer the sinking ship back to the shore. At first they didn't disappoint putting on a half century partnership together.

Younis was looking good when he got out to Broad. Pakistan were in some serious trouble with 4 wickets down for 134 runs.

It was down to Shafiq to pick up where Younis had left off and support Misbah in building a defendable total. Pakistan were two wickets away from the tail and a disastrous start to the tour.

Misbah and Shafiq salvaged some pride for Pakistan with a century stand but they couldn't capitalise on it as Shafiq lost his wicket before the end of play. The night watchman Rahat Ali was out at the end of play and Pakistan ended up on 282/6.

Once again, Misbah managed to salvage some respect from yet another Pakistani batting collapse. His unbeaten century gives Pakistan some hope for Day 2. England will be happier with todays result. I'm sure they would have taken 282/6 at the start of the day on this flat pitch.

Habib conducts player interviews and writes articles for Cricistan.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

1. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
      I don't think it was a disappointing day. My only regret is it could have easily been 282/4 instead of 282/6.

2. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
      Not a disappointing day by any means...

Should get 320-350 from here, which is very good.

3. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      On this pitch against this bowling we didn't look in trouble at all. We just sat back and played too conservatively putting pressure on ourselves and losing silly wickets.

From a hindsight point of view it looks like we saved another collapse but from an England point of view they would take 282/6 after day 1. We're one wicket from the tail.

4. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
      At the start of the day if you had told me Pakistan could be 280-6 with Sarfraz still to come I'd have bitten your hand off.

The only thing that is nagging is me that I've yet to see Misbah cash in and get a daddy( he usually gets dismissed early aftwr being not out overnight) and Sarfraz is untested in England.

Also did Pakistan miss a trick by not sending Amir in as night watchman? Would have given him a quick entry and perhaps would have allowed him to quickly get over some nerves at crowd hostility?

5. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      I think they see Wahab and Amir as players who can bat a bit and didn't want to lose their wickets too easily.

6. Donal Cozzie

Donal Cozzie Tracer Bullet

Nov 4, 2014
    7. Fawad

Fawad Sultan of Swing

Sep 1, 2010
      Pitch is not as flat as it looked, you have to remember that England don't have a bowler who can take advantage of the swing. All their pacers rely on seam first. Woakes got some swing and was rewarded with 4 wickets.

A lot will depend on how we approach the first hour tmrw morning. With Sarfraz and Wahab still to come, if we can see off the first hour (and the new ball), Misbah will surely push for 370+. That to me will be a successful innings after choosing to bat first.

8. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      I haven't seen much of Rahat but I think Imran would have been better than Rahat on this pitch.

9. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
      Only thing I disagree with is disappointing. For a minnow team that couldn't win a series in Zimbabwe away, this is a fantastic day, meaning we won't be humiliated this test, at least. For a team of our stature, this is an amazing day, Misbah made an acceptable day much better

10. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
      CRUSHED AND DESTROYED

11. Markhor

Markhor Talented

May 9, 2010
      For me, on this slow pitch and with good weather forecasted, 370+ is necessary to put the pressure on the English batsmen.

The frustration is nearly all the wickets are self-inflicted wounds. Shan could've left the ball for his dismissal, no idea what Hafeez was attempting with his pull shot, Azhar was a bit unlucky with the decision but ate up so many deliveries for such little reward, Younis tamely gifted a catch to midwicket and Shafiq was caught in two minds whether to play or leave.

Rahat I'm not fussed about as he did his job as a night watchman and is as No.11 as it gets, a dispensable wicket really.

The onus tomorrow is on Misbah to kick on and get 150+, Sarfraz to produce a good cameo of 40 to 50 and for likes of Yasir and Riaz to add a 15-20 here and there.

Its a pitch that Sky found with their ball tracker only slightly faster than the one in Abu Dhabi last year. There are no demons in this wicket so Pakistan should play with confidence.

12. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
      I don't think it was a disappointing day at all. We are away to England and did pretty well with the bat today. Showed good grit and determination.

13. Renaissance

Renaissance Formerly Goliath

Apr 29, 2012
      I thought the same... was a decent performance with the bat

14. Saj

Saj Formerly Saj001

Jun 2, 2012
      England on top.

15. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
      Pakistan definitely need 400 but with 6 Down and nothing after Sarfraz to come really suggests otherwise.

Pakistan's openers failed especially Hafeez failed to cash in as he started off slow but once he gets in he does score quick and he showed that by making 40 off 59 balls before giving it away to Woakes.

Azhar was very unfortunate as Dharmasena made a blunder and gave it out with the ball hardly clipping the the legstump.

Younis missed out as he usually also scores a bit quicker once he gets set but today he couldn't find his feet and made an off colour 30 odd before clipping it to Moeen missing out on a big one.

This pitch is one which if you get in then it's good to make runs and that's what Misbah and Asad did then until Asad got in two minds and got a slight edge to get out for 73 when he deserved a 100 today.

I'd say it's quite even at the end of Day 1 as had it been 282-4 with Misbah and Asad in the middle it would've been very easy to say it's been Pakistan's day.

Misbah needs to concentrate back again tomorrow morning as he has the tendency of getting out very early when he's in and on a big score.

Sarfraz hopefully can get in and score the way he does as one of them two will have to get the maximum runs with the tail left.

16. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
      350+ and few quick early wickets will really put England under pressure.

17. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
      Merc is just living up the the parental age desi stereotype.

"Dad I got 93% in my maths test!"
      "What a disappointing son you are, Bilals kid got 95%!"

18. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    19. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
      Believe it or not that was deliberate :D :d

20. baqir

baqir Cornered Tiger

Sep 17, 2012
      A great day of cricket for Pakistan! Mashallah Misbah leading from the front. Another 50 to 100 runs would be fine and put England under immense pressure!

21. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
      lol I figuered

22. baqir

baqir Cornered Tiger

Sep 17, 2012
      We need at least 350. The average first innings score at Lords is 330

Bowl them out under 150 they'll follow on.

23. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
      If we can add 100 runs more then that's an acceptable score.

24. DONhill

DONhill Talented

Feb 4, 2015
      I think it was an ok day, of course, the highlight is that Misbah is now on the Lord's Honour's board. :)