1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Mohammad Asif: 'I shook up the world (Cricinfo interview)

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by s_h_a_f, May 4, 2020.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Moderator

Dec 26, 2011
    https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/29129862/shook-world-to-think-about

How to find Mohammad Asif? How to find someone who doesn't care about being found, who doesn't care what the media say or write about him, who doesn't want to get his narrative out there? Who doesn't do social media?

Somewhere, recently, Kevin Pietersen had once again remarked that Asif was the most difficult bowler he faced in his career. Pietersen isn't alone in saying this but he has said it more than others. And no Pakistani cricketer is more lamented than Asif. So I decided to find him and ask him about it. The phone number I had for him was switched off and WhatsApp wasn't showing up anything either. I asked someone I suspected would have a contact for him - Salman Butt, with whom he will be forever linked - and sure enough, got a number. I was then told by others that Asif had moved to the US permanently (not true) and was stuck there at the moment because of the Covid-19 pandemic (true).

2. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    Read the whole thing - pretty good and interesting. Anyone know where to find him in NJ? :D

3. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Sep 22, 2012
    Wonderful read. Asif showed us glimpses of what could have been.

Unfortunately his lust for illegal activities was too much for his own self.

4. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Spot fixers are serving the bans or banished into oblivion whilst match fixers running the PCB.

5. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Sultan of Swing

Aug 31, 2011
    World Class Cricketer

Had a higher ceiling than even Wasim Akram.

The fact that he was a Third Class Insan ruined everything though. Numerous chances, numerous off field and disciplinary charges. He only has himself to blame.

I loved his dig at the king of all match fixers.

6. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    'Even Mohammad Abbas, who said to Wasim Akram publicly in an interview on YouTube that he learnt a lot from me - he should've actually said that it's you [Akram] who is my idol but instead he said it was me. Not a very smart move, because he didn't realise that if he wants to have a long career, he's better off saying Akram is his biggest influence and not me!'

Well which one is it, that he learnt a lot from Asif or that Asif was his idol? Because they are 2 different things.

Anyway, first class bowler, fourth class character.

7. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    I think he was on performance enhancement drugs all along - I mean, right from the beginning!
    And it was only a matter of when he gets caught? Obviously, he was a paindu and didn't have the brains to know how to play this game smartly - so it didn't take long.

And his jahaalut was to a point where a dressing room incident was shared by a few fellow team mate when Asif's drug test results came back, he was happy and jumping with joy and pleasure, announcing it proudly to everyone and thanking God that his results came "Positive".
    (He thought "Positive" must meant something "good".)

And from what I remember, soon as he was taken off of performance enhancement drugs, his bowling potency took a nose dive and he start picking up injuries after injuries.

All his records should be red flagged as IMO, there was a steroid factor behind it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Pessimistic Pessimistic x 1
    • List
  8. thair9999

thair9999 Emerging Player

Oct 17, 2010
    Losing him was biggest loss for world of cricket. He was master of his craft.

9. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    performance enhancing drugs might affect speed and stamina, but wont do jack for producing consistent swing and seam, he might have been a third-rate individual but his craft was second to none.

10. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010

As I said, that “craft” went down the crapper after he was taken off of steroids. There was no swing and movement left in his bowling.

by the way, is that your photo? You look like a rookie gangster.

• List
  11. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    lol

12. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Interesting check. His overall career bowling average in all 23 test matches he played was just 24.36 (excellent)

Average in first 17 tests 23.20

Average in last 6 tests 28.56

So a difference of over 5, which is still good but not as staggering as his overall career average. This might give credence to the notion that his wicket-taking ability slightly dissipated towards the end of his career.

13. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Or that he was more focused on money making during those last 6 tests instead of taking wickets.

14. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    Wow can't believe Asif only played 23 tests. Feels like he would've played a lot more.

15. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Dude was caught with opium at Dubai Airport. Hardly a criminal mastermind. Just effin stupid.

16. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Or maybe he gave it his all at the start and then when fixing crept in he would underperform more hence the worse figures

17. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    Does smoking weed count as performance enhancing drugs?

18. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    He was good, but the question remains would he have become one of the greatest (in Test cricket) if he was clean? Can't say anything for sure.

19. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    no, that was his daily regular breakfast

• List
  20. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    I see so he took actual performance enhancing drugs which is well, not fair.
    but he was an artist with the ball.

21. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    I see Asif rustled some feathers and they still rustling

22. Savak

Savak Emerging Player

Feb 26, 2013
    People talk as if Asif was the second coming of Malcolm Marshall. He was lethal on green tops but useless on flat pitches. He benefited a lot by playing most of his match on green wickets. He has a poor record in Australia. He played a lot of games in England, New Zealand but he was found wanting on Pakistani Wickets. He would have been exposed had he been forced to play on UAE wickets.

23. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    How exactly?

Don't try and support a guy like Asif. You are wasting your time. Really clever isn't it. Go out do drugs. Annoy your mates. Fix matches. He was just another cricketer - and this I do agree with Shoaib Akhtar, Asif has the mind of a criminal.

'Ruffled some feathers' - grow up.

24. MR__KHAN__JI

MR__KHAN__JI Talented

Sep 5, 2010
    No one in the history of cricket had as much control over a cricket ball than one Mohammad Asif.

The man would toy with batsmen.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

25. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    Not true.
    He had no idea how to outswing the ball.
    Watch his interviews.

He says something like this, "While playing a match, I thought to copy the bowling action of another bowler and to my surprise, all of a sudden the ball started to outswing. What control you are talking about?

26. MR__KHAN__JI

MR__KHAN__JI Talented

Sep 5, 2010
    I watch cricket... Not interviews. :)

He had a lot of fun with batsman.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk