Mohammad Irfan banned from cricket for a year

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Ahson8, Mar 29, 2017.

Mohammad Irfan banned from cricket for a year

by Ahson Afzal
Mar 29, 2017 at 12:52 PM
  1. Ahson8

Ahson8 Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2012
    For failing to report an approach from bookies.
    Also fined 1 million. If he shows good conduct, ban will be lifted after 6 months.

mohammad_irfan.jpg

The author is a medical student and an avid fan of Pakistan cricket.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

1. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
      Just a year only. That's just a slap on the wrist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
      Cant see him playing on the international stage again after this. Time is not on his side. These players all knew if they didnt report an approach it was an offence so i guess its a case of do the crime, do the time.

3. Mohsin

Mohsin Cricistani

Feb 21, 2010
      End of his international career.

Oh well. I've sympathy for his personal hardships/tragedies but meh

4. Red Devil

Red Devil Cricistani

Dec 15, 2013
      Effectively a 6 month ban if he pays the fine and follows a few other conditions.

5. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Cricistani

Aug 31, 2011
      Actually seems like a shareef and simple guy and sincerely doubt he fixed. Only person I feel sorry for is him

A case of picking on the easy target with no connection. Easy way for PCB to extort money from him

• Useful / Interesting Useful / Interesting x 1
      • List
    6. London_Lahori

London_Lahori Cricistani

Feb 18, 2014
      Seems like a good decision by the PCB tbh, we do need a deterrent to ensure approaches are reported.

7. Del

Del Cricistani

Dec 21, 2016
      Over the hill Irfan, who has already passed his best before date wouldn't be missed at all at any level. He wasn't even part of the plan. I'm not certain what will he has to offer after an year.

8. Ahson8

Ahson8 Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2012
      He probably won't ever play for Pakistan again but he can continue to make a living through domestic & leagues

9. Del

Del Cricistani

Dec 21, 2016
      Yes, he's already played for Pakistan I reckon. Still remember Mickey's reactions (which were self explanatory) when he was struggling to complete his quote of overs in ENG last year.

10. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
      At least he has the audacity to accept the charges openly and also apologize for his lack of actions.

His cooperation with PCB in this matter has been sensible so far and might have help him get away with a relatively lenient punishment.

11. Shaz130

Shaz130 Cricistani

Dec 29, 2016
      Looks like a nice time to earn some money

12. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2012
    13. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
      PRESS RELEASE

Lahore March 29, 2017: In furtherance to the PCB’s investigation intoviolations of the PCB’s Anti-Corruption Code for Participants 2015 (“the Code”), Mohammad Irfan, Cricketer, was issued a Notice of Charge by the PCB Vigilance and Security Department on 14th March 2017 wherein he was charged with two violations of Article 2.4.4 of the Code. It was alleged that Irfan had, on two occasions, failed to disclose to the PCB Vigilance and Security Department (without unnecessary delay) full details of the approaches and invitations received by him to engage in Corrupt Conduct.

On 23rd March 2017 Irfan approached the PCB to initiate proceedings under Article 5.1.12 of the PCB Code and requested for “Agreed Sanction” a meeting to hold discussions. Resultantly, PCB required Irfan to submit a written statement explaining his version of events; his response to the Notice of Charge; and any mitigating factors that he would like the PCB to consider, and thereafter appear before the PCB Vigilance and Security Department to answer their queries.

Irfan submitted his written statement on 27th March 2017 admitting the charges levelled against him by PCB and appeared for two subsequent meetings with PCB on 27th and 28th March 2017 to properly explain his case.

The following “Agreed Sanction” is being imposed on Irfan:

i. A period of ineligibility of one (01) year shall be imposed on Irfan, six (06) months of which may be suspended on the following additional conditions:

a. That there is no further/additional breach of the PCB Code by Irfan within one (01) year of the commencement of the period of Ineligibility; and no previous breach of the Code by Irfan comes to light. If any such breach(es) take place the PCB shall reserve the right to initiate separate and independent proceedings against Irfan under the Code;

b. Pay to the PCB a fine of PKR. 1,000,000/- (Pakistan Rupees One Million Only;

c. Irfan will provide Substantial Assistance (as described under the Code) to the PCB Vigilance and Security; and

d. Irfan will, over the next six months, participate under the auspices of PCB in programs of Anti- Corruption education, which may include amongst other things, delivering lectures on Anti-Corruption at such places and to such audiences as the PCB Vigilance and Security Department deems fit and appearing in any Anti-Corruption videos.

ii. During the period of ineligibility Irfan’s central contract executed with PCB shall stand suspended and no new contract shall be offered to him.

iii. In accordance with Article 6.4 of the Code, the period of Provisional Suspension imposed by the PCB in accordance with Article 4.7.1 (a) (starting on 14th March 2017, as detailed in the Notice of Charge dated 14th March 2017) shall be credited against the total period of ineligibility to be served.

Mian Shaharyar M. Khan, Chairman PCB and Mr. Najam Sethi, Chairman PSL reiterated that “It is important for all players to take note and be reminded of their responsibilities and obligations under the PCB Anti-Corruption Code and that no form of corrupt activity shall ever be tolerated by PCB.”

14. Patriot

Patriot Banned

Oct 8, 2014
      so if I talk to a bookie, I get 2 years ban even though I only talked. Didn't know talking to someone is a crime

15. Fireworks11

Sep 22, 2012
      You need to report it. That's where Irfan failed and now paying the price

16. Patriot

Patriot Banned

Oct 8, 2014
      still. he didn't commit any crime

17. Fireworks11

Sep 22, 2012
      Failure to report is considered a crime, albeit a low one hence the short sentence. Very strict rules now, cricketers need to be super alert

18. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Cricistani

Jul 24, 2012
      Sensible sentence given the crime. Good decision by PCB.

19. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Cricistani

May 4, 2010
      Good decision, the guy just got caught up in the mess that others were cultivating. He will likely provide testimony that will be key to the investigation as it didn't seem like PCB had retrieved the messages detailing the plot before deletion.

20. Savak

Savak Cricistani

Feb 26, 2013
      These bookies are connected with very dangerous Underworld people. I find it incredibly naive that people expect players to tell on these bookies who threaten and blackmail players with dire consequences for them, their family members, their connections if they dare to spill the beans.

21. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
      Irfan apologises to nation for mistakes

LAHORE: Fast bowler Muhammad Irfan, after being handed over a one-year ban from Pakistan Cricket Board, has apologised to the nation for his mistakes during the Pakistan Super League 2017.

"I accept my mistake," he told a press conference at the PCB's headquarters in Lahore. "I was asked to carry out fixes but I did not commit any such crime. My mistake was not reporting these offers.

"I confess and say sorry to the fans," he added.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/135983-Irfan-apologises-to-nation-for-mistakes