Muhammad Ali Quotes - The most quotable sportsperson ever!!

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by Mercenary, Oct 23, 2012.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Never in the history of sports has there been an individual who consistently and repeatedly came out with so many witty and quotable lines.

Below is a list of quotes from the walking soundbite machine himself, the great Muhammad Ali.

1 It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

2 Prejudice comes from being in the dark; sunlight disinfects it.

3 Ain't no reason for me to kill nobody in the ring. - Ali after his fight with Jimmy Ellis in July 1971 was stopped by the referee in the 12th round.

4 The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.

5 I'm so fast that last night I turned of fthe light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark.

6 My toughest fight was with my first wife.

7 I don't always know what I'm talking about but I know I'm right.

8 People don't realise what they had till it's gone. Like President Kennedy - nobody like him. Like The Beatles, there will never be anything like them. Like my man, Elvis Presley - I was the Elvis of boxing.

9 Hating people because of their colour is wrong. And it doesn't matter which colour does the hating. It's just plain wrong.

10 That all you got, George? - what Ali whispered in George Foreman's ear in a clinch before knocking him out during the Rumble in the Jungle in 1974.

11 It's lack of faith that makes people afraid of meeting challenges, and I believed in myself.

12 Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them: a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill.

13 It's not bragging if you can back it up.

14 I am America. I am the part you won't recognise but get used to me. Black, confident, cocky. My name, not yours. My religion, not yours. My goals, my own. Get used to me.

The man who views the world at 50 the same he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

I'm a baaaadd man!

17 If they can make penicillin out of mouldy bread, they can sure make something out of you.

18 Eat your words! Eat your words! I am the greatest. - Ali shouting at reporters who had dismissed him as a loudmouth and a fake before the Liston fight in 1964.

19 I figured that if I said it enough, I would convince the world that I really was the greatest.

20 It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I just beat people up.

21 Boxing is just a lot of white men watching two black men beat each other up

22 I got nothing against no Vietcong, No Viatnamese ever called me a ni**er - explaining why he refused to be drafted into the US army during the Vietnam war in 1967.

23 I believe in the religion of Islam. I believe in Allah and peace

Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth.

The man who has no imagination, has no wings.

26 Be loud, be pretty and keep their black-hatin' ***** in their chairs.

27 Cassius Clay is a slave name. I didn't choose it and I didn't want it. I am Muhammad Ali, a free name - it means beloved of God - and I insist people use it when speaking to me and of me.

28 What's my name fool? What's my name? - what Ali kept yelling while winning a 1967 decision against Ernie Terrell, who had insisted on calling him Cassius Clay.

29 I wish people would love everybody else the way they love me. It would be a better world.

I don't have to be what you want me to be, I'm free to be who I want. - after beating Liston on February 25, 1964, to become world heavyweight champ.

31 God gave me this illness to remind me that I'm not Number One, he is. - Ali on his Parkinson's Disease.

I float like a butterfly, sting like a bee - goading Liston before the fight.

33 I shook up the world! I shook up the world! - after it.

34 How do you feel about Hitler sharing yours? - asked on a visit to the World Trade Center ruins how he felt about the suspects sharing his Islamic faith.

35 I am the greatest. Not only do I knock 'em out, I pick the round!

36 Rivers, ponds, lakes and streams. They all have different names but they all contain water. Just as religions do, they all contain truths.

I'm a Muslim. I've been a Muslim for 20 years... You know me. I'm a boxer. I've been called the greatest. People recognise me for being a boxer and a man of the truth.

I wouldn't be here representing Islam if it were terrorist... I think all people should know the truth, come to recognise the truth. Islam is peace. - Ali on the terrorist attacks

38 The crowd did not dream when they laid down their money, that they would see a total eclipse of the Sonny! - just before the 1964 Liston fight.

39 I'm so pretty. Mike Tyson is so ugly. A champion should be pretty.

40 I'm so mean, I make medicine sick.

41 IT will be a killer and a chiller and a thrilla, when I get the gorilla in Manila. - before fighting Frazier in 1975.

42 Ali's got a left, Ali's got a right. If he hits you once, you're asleep for the night.

43 If you want to be king, you have to beat me.

44 IF you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.

45 I AM the astronaut of boxing. Joe Louis and Dempsey were just jet pilots. I'm in a world of my own.

46 Get up sucker and fight. Get up and fight. - during the second Liston fight in 1965

47 Now you see me, now you don't, George thinks he will but i know he won't - on George Foreman.

48 I know I got it made while the masses of black people are catchin' hell but as long as they ain't free. I ain't free.

49 I'll beat him so bad he'll need a shoehorn to put his hat on.

50 I'm not the greatest; I'm the double greatest.

51 I'm the best. I just haven't played yet.

52 It's the repetition of affirmations that leads to belief. And once that belief becomes a deep conviction, things begin to happen.

53 Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters - some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just don't let yourself believe it will happen to you.

54 Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even.

Only the nose knows, where the nose goes, when the door close.

56 Superman don't need no seatbelt. - asked by an air hostess to fasten his seatbelt.

57 There are more pleasant things to do than beat up people.

58 There are no pleasures in a fight, but some of my fights have been a pleasure to win.

59 When you can whip any man in the world, you never know peace.

60 Boxing is dying because everybody is so quiet - what boxing needs is more Cassius Clays.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 17
    • List
  2. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Which quotes are your favourites?

3. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
  4. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    'If you dream of beating me, you'd better wake up and apologise.'

5. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Ali always came out with a poem dedicated to his opponent but the one for Frazier which he did on Parkinson is one of my favourites...

"Ding! Ali comes out to meet Frazier
    But Frazier starts to retreat
    If Frazier goes back any further
    He'll wind up in a ringside seat

Ali swings to the left
    Ali swings to the right
    Look at the kid
    Carry the fight

Frazier keeps backing
    But there's not enough room
    It's a matter of time
    Then Ali lowers the boom

Now Ali lands to the right
    What a beautiful swing!
    And deposits Frazier
    Clean out of the ring

Frazier's still rising
    But the referee wears a frown
    For he can't start counting
    Till Frazier comes down

Now Frazier disappears from view
    The crowd is getting frantic
    But our radar stations have picked him up
    He's somewhere over the Atlantic

Who would have thought that
    When they came to the fight
    That they would have witnessed
    The launching of a coloured satellite!"

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 4
    • List
  6. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    God gave me this illness to remind me that iam not number one, he is.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 9
    • List
  7. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    this is amazing.

8. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    It's not bragging if you can back it up.

Legend.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 6
    • List
  9. kamz

kamz Youngsta Beauty

Nov 25, 2011
    sonny will go down in the eight, to prove that I am great (before the match with sonny liston)

10. kamz

kamz Youngsta Beauty

Nov 25, 2011
    best i liked was how do u feel about hitler sharing yours

11. Pakistanalltheway

Pakistanalltheway Smooth Operator

Jul 16, 2012
    I always think Ali could have been a poet or even a rapper .

12. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I doubt he would have been a rapper, too much class for that. It wouldnt have fit him properly.

It's a real shame that he was hit with Parkinson's because he would have been a real leader within the Black and Muslim communities. The best thing about Ali was that he always had an opend mind and heart. He was willing to learn and then change his opinions.

He went from Christianity to Nation of Islam which is a racist ideology based more on Chritianity than Islam. He got a lot of heat for it and a lot of people would have refused to rethink their ideas.

But Ali never stopped thinking about faith and belief. He went from Nation of Islam to becoming an orthodox Muslim because he couldn't live with the race hatred and segregation which is so central to the NOI doctrine.

We could all learn a lot from him. It's a loss for every one of us that he was unable to live out a normal life and achieve even more goals. There is no reason he couldn't have become the first Black AND first Muslim President of America.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 3
    • List
  13. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne Smooth Operator

May 22, 2012
    "I don't smoke but I keep a match box in my pocket. When my heart slips towards a sin, I burn a match stick and heat my palm. Then I say to myself 'Ali you can't bare even this heat, how would you bare the unbearable heat of hell'"

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 11
    • List
  14. Pakistanalltheway

Jul 16, 2012
    wow what a man

15. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Fine quotes in here.

16. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011

This is the best, we all should try this.

Beautiful.

17. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I wouldn't advise anyone to self-harm, burning your hand is not allowed in Islam. It's better we take the spiritual aspect from the words he used.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 8
    • List
  18. Pakistanalltheway

Jul 16, 2012
    “The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    what a legend

19. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    According to reports

Muhammad Ali:(71) Former heavyweight boxing champion is in Critical Condition. All Prayers for him.

Please Remember him in your prayers.

20. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
  21. Pakistanalltheway

Jul 16, 2012
    They are false rumours apparently

22. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20, has wasted 30 years of his life.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
    • List
  23. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    think he 1st used this before the Sonny Liston fight - just replace Frazier with Sonny/Liston and Ali with Clay

24. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    IF you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.

I'm so mean I make medicine sick.

Mad.

25. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    The great man turns 72 today!

[​IMG]

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
    • List