NAB Performance ( Sindh Assembly Speaker Agha Siraj Durrani arrested by NAB - Upt #53)

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by Del, Jul 28, 2018.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    This has been established that Nawaz did money laundering and took states money abroad, and same is the case with Zardari and many other - though, in their case, its not proven yet.

With the accountability process in full swing, and I expect it to further ramp up after PTI government (as Khan also has mentioned in his speech to further strengthen NAB and FBR), how state of Pakistan and bring back stolen money back from abroad.

And this is not just these two we're talking about. MQM's Babar Ghori possesses some serious real estate in Houston - who was a WAITER before he joined MQM. And there are many others like him, will these thugs brought to justice?

How money will be recovered from these leeches?

Thoughts, ideas?

@godzilla @Mohsin @Munna @maddgenius @SwingNSeam @MNA @Passionate Pakistani @Shahzad.Firdous @Shahzebayub

2. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
  3. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
  4. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    It seems the biggest challenge will be getting the correct personnel into the accountability institutions. Remember there will be huge incentives from the crooks to try to pervert the course of justice. Do these people exist who can do the job?

5. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    Don’t forget the alleged 200bn dollars I’m Swiss bank accounts that the Swiss authorities have been ready to hand over, but which was left unresolved purposefully by the previous governments. Apparently pakisstan is only one of two countries given such preferential treatment by the Swiss.

6. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    Finally of course much of this wealth will have been well hidden by now, eg the sharifs one park lane property was sold ages ago.

7. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    There is very little that can be done now, most of the money is nearly impossible to trace, it has been laundered into property, assets, other material wealth etc. I would like to punish people who did this by hooks or by crooks, I have already offered fateha on prospects of stolen money being brought back i.e the park lane apartments are never going to be handed over to Pakistan government etc

Important thing is to make an example out of people who did this so that it acts as a deterrent for others, knowing fully well money of Pakistani awaam is not a langar-e-aam to plunder.

8. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    Well said bro.
    I, too, believe that "bringing back the looted money" is a political ploy, not something that can ACTUALLY be done.
    No matter how much i want it to be otherwise.

Not to mention the fact of "اس حمام میں سبھی ننگے ہیں."
    Now, i am not accusing IK of being one of them, but just how much one man can do?
    The investigators, the prosecutors, the judges etc are not gonna change overnight.
    (Almost) All of the current ones have one or more "secret benefactors", they are NEVER going to do anything against them, EVER.

Sent from knowhere

9. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    Yes, but it is not only a matter of PTI or Imran khan, every institute must have to follow up and work to get the money back in to the government. But how will that happen, i dont know i am not an expert of this. This is the goal. Then after that, this money should then be used for human development and so on. It is going to be extremely tough, the goal should be to focus on Big Fishes first and then come down.

10. Mohan

Mohan Formerly 'Captain Clutch'

Nov 4, 2014
    I wish Imran all the best, but I will be convinced he is on a mission only when I see him going after these corrupt fauji gernails who have billions worth properties in places like Dubai.

Till then, let's just wait and watch.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  11. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    The idea is to help the institutions to catch the corrupt. General or politician.

12. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Who stole Pakistans money?

[​IMG]

13. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    Nope there is no chance. The only opportunity now is for severe punishments that deter others. I feel that life in Jail for Nawaz and death penalty for major corruption going forward will be beneficial for Pakistan.

14. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    If you have any knowledge of this, please share. Has there ever been instances in history where money have been recovered from powerful white collar political criminals.l?

15. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    Ah, the recent "incident" in Saudi Arabia??

Sent from knowhere

16. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    That was not recovered from some foreign bank but they were forced to actually pay.

17. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    The money was still in foreign banks (mostly).
    That, my friend, is the ONLY way to recover stolen/embezzled money, especially for Pakistan.

My point is this, it doesn't matter where the money is, these people have access to it. You put a gun to their heads and make THEM bring the money. It really is quite simple.

Sent from knowhere

18. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Yeah agree this is the only way to recover. The Banks will never pay you unless the owner signs the cheque.

19. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    EXACTLY.
    Anything else, is just a giant waste of time and money.

Sent from knowhere

20. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Indeed its a daunting task but not impossible. It many be no practical to bring back every single stolen rupee but whatever can be recovered should be resolved and every possible attempt should be made.

In recent times Saudi Arab has resolved more than $100bn (£70bn) through its anti-corruption purge and jailed up to 56 high-profile royal family members and businessmen who refused to surrender their wealth in return for freedom. Perhaps Pakistan can take a leaf out of their book and see how much money can be recovered, as my friend @mohsin88ali has mentioned above.

Of course NAB and FBR have to play their role along with Pakistan Government.

21. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    I would love to see it happen, but sadly, it won't. Reason? Players who have stakes in it, are in power, they have been in power, and most likely will remain in power for a long time.

This was one of many reasons i disliked PTI's inclusion of "electables".

In order to TAKE the money from these crooks, you will need "The Punisher". (With his violence turned up to 11)

Note: Punisher is a comic book character, published by Marvel Comics.
    He is portrayed by Jon Brenthol in Netflix series of the same name.

Sent from knowhere

22. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    Saudi is a different case all together. He Just jailed any political rivals under the guise of corruption and took a bribe from them for freedom.

23. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    And this is why it's a massive challenge lies ahead of Khan, that how he will further strength institutes like NAB and FBR. Yet to see how things will pan out in coming days, because he mentioned in his victory speech that accountability process will start from him and his ministers, which will also include electables.

24. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    Indeed it is.
    I suppose, time will tell us.
    As Faiz said:

ہم دیکھیں گے
    لازم ہے کہ ہم بھی دکھیں گے
    وہ دن کہ جس کا وعدہ ہے.

Sent from knowhere

25. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    The problem is, Pakistan's real ongoing rulers are not just serial professional politicians but several other elements who are probably way stronger than political dynasties, I mean corrupt establishment, both civilian and military, the feudal lords, tribal heads, bureaucrats, police and big industrialists, your 'elite' society who think they own Pakistan. They have infiltrated almost every department of governmental machinery and them people will never let their looted money to ever get recovered.

26. abc_to_xyz

abc_to_xyz Youngsta Beauty

Nov 20, 2016
    Bringing money out is a complex task, and for someone who got a shady charity network would prefer to stay silent over this. Even if he do, there are several questions/layers/levels to answer.

1. Will he do a biased one? (Himself and his own sources included).

2. Will it span across Military also? Judiciary?

3. Will it go downwards? (MPAs/MNAs, Businessmen, people at all relevant posts)

4. Will it include indirect methods of earning illegally?

5. Will it include damage caused by conflict of interest? (Handing tenders to friend companies or initiating bad projects for personal gain)

6. Will it include damage caused by ill-intent policies?

Its much difficult to get last few. I think he will do bit of top few for selected people and be done with it.

27. DONhill

DONhill Talented

Feb 4, 2015
    I think you guys need to look up : UK’s Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 (“POCA”) and Criminal Asset Confiscation.

Imran Khan is intelligent, and he knows what he is doing.

28. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Most of their money are in Swiss Banks so forget it. They will need irrefutable evidence which just won't happen if we're being realistic.

They might be able to do something with their assets in the UK though, primarily real estate if proven they were bought with dirty money.

29. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016

30. Shahzebayub

Shahzebayub Smooth Operator

Feb 3, 2012
    ابتدائے عشق ہے روتا ہے کیا
    آگے آگے دیکھئے ہوتا ہے کیا

31. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
  32. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Pakistan signs 'declaration' with UK in effort to bring back ‘looted wealth’

Law Minister Farogh Naseem and British Home Secretary Sajid Javid on Monday announced the signing of a declaration focused on justice and accountability to facilitate repatriation of “looted wealth” and assist in extraditing individuals for accountability.

“The objective of this declaration is to bring back the country’s looted wealth,” said Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on Accountability Shahzad Akbar and added that the agreement on the exchange of convicted personnel is being renewed.

The British home secretary said that the eradicating the scourge of corruption was the top priority of both nations.

Addressing a joint press conference with the law minister, Javid said, “When it comes to corrupt individuals, we have deepened our cooperation. The UK is not reluctant in helping Pakistan, there is good cooperation between the two countries.”

The law minister added that the declaration agreed to today has to be further moulded. “We have not discussed individual cases,” Naseem said, refusing to comment on the extradition of former finance minister Ishaq Dar – who is absconding from a corruption investigation, and Hassan and Hussain Nawaz – who absconded the corruption reference that sent deposed premier Nawaz Sharif in jail.

Javid added that London also wants to work together with Islamabad in the anti-terror fight and said British firms are exploring investment options in Pakistan.

“We will assist Pakistan in the education and defence projects in whatever capacity we can,” said the home secretary during his maiden visit to Pakistan.

Earlier, Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi emphasised the need to transform Pakistan-United Kingdom ties into a strategic partnership.

Qureshi expressed the views while meeting Javid at the Foreign Office. Areas of mutual interest including regional security, counter terrorism, organised crime, migration, human trafficking, money laundering and asset recovery were also reviewed on the occasion.

Qureshi praised the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID) work in the country. The British home secretary reiterated London’s desire to support the new government in Islamabad. Both, London and Islamabad have strengthening ties under the Pakistan-UK Enhanced Strategic Dialogue.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/180534...sform-pakistan-uk-ties-strategic-partnership/

33. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    Lets wait and watch.

I was reading some post on facebook that when Mahatir came into power in malaysia he jailed all the corrupt by force without a trial and got the money back from them. But it could be just another non-researched of facebook written by a wannabe sahafi.

It is painful how long this process is but i guess we need to go through this process so we can clean them up from the roots and these guys dont come back.

As the time pass general public will get slightly agitated (well not the majority of sleeping general public). Now whats the deal with nawaz sharif, he is in jail, but i personally have nothing against nawaz sharif, i want the looted money back for my future.
    Similarly, they are trying their level best to get Zardari in, he just seems invincible to me. He is here, he comes and he goes. Most if not all of his croonies are being investigated, jailed, and then set free. Every time it is projected this is the end of Zardari, we are going to nail him, and he still gets free. Somewhere we have to admit he guy must have played extremely smart, or, maybe, the hoopla around him was actually exaggerated.

34. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Wondering how Mahatir recovered money from corrupts? The other two models I've heard could be China or Saudis model to get looted money back. However, one this is for sure, that it will be a long process and wouldn't happen in the blink of an eye.

Coming on Nawaz, its great that he's behind bars, however what good it is doing to the country? Him and people around him did massive money laundering, that money needs to be recovered. I have nothing personal against him or anybody, once money is recovered and he can go to hell or can be exiled - I dont care.

Speaking of Zardari, I guess this buffoon is very shrewd and cunning and its not easy to catch him. State is trying and going hard against him, so lets see how thing will pan out in coming days. His OMNI group partner Anwar Majeed and his son have been probed in money laundering and I've heard that they've confessed so lets see how things will shape up in coming days. Whatever happens, I only want the looted money back in Pakistan, because keep these skunks behind bars wouldn't do any good.

35. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    NAB petition to sell Ishaq Dar’s assets in Pakistan fixed for hearing

ISLAMABAD: Accountability Court Judge Muhammad Bashir on Thursday fixed a petition for hearing asking the court’s permission to sell off assets held by absconding suspect Ishaq Dar.

The petition was filed by the National Accountability Court (NAB) after the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz leader went to London for medical treatment and continues to abscond in corruption cases against him in the accountability court.

The hearing has been fixed for Friday.

Filed by NAB’s special prosecutor Imran Shafiq, the petition states that the former senator is wanted by the court and has been declared an absconder by both NAB and the court.

The case
    The former finance minister is accused of possessing assets disproportionate to his declared sources of income.

A reference against the former finance minister was filed by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) in light of the Supreme Court's July 28 verdict in the Panama Papers case.

Dar had earlier been declared a proclaimed offender by the accountability court due to his continuous absence from the proceedings.

In November 2017, then-prime minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi had accepted Dar’s request to be relieved of his duties as the finance minister.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/212676-nab-files-petition-to-sell-ishaq-dars-assets-in-pakistan

36. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    I would guess he has a lot more outside of the country, but even so its a good move that I hope passes swiftly through court.

37. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I know, his assets must be a lot more outside, but whatever can be liquidated should be liquidated.

38. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    A simple answer is no because there's too much that has gone and it's a travesty that Pakistan had never cared about it before all this time.

It's going to take decades to happen if it does just like the country will take decades to actually start getting on the right path.

39. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    The biggest reason why ex-Pakistani Gov's never cared about it is because all the crooks who have assets abroad were in power. Why would Nawaz, Zardari and even Musharaf would care to be proactive and do something about it? Give me one good reason.

Indeed it will take time, because its no small task. However, current Federal Gov is in processing of signing treaty with UK. Oh and btw UK officials have already given this statement that no Pakistani Gov ever pursued in this regard before (to bring back looted money).

Things were't too bad actually, they're made worse purposely, and there was no intention ever to rectify them before. But now I can clearly see that Khan's intentions are different from his predecessors.

40. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    Pakistanis who aren't really bothered by the stage of which Pakistan is at today won't even care in 20 years time if there's even a little bit of reform in the country.