No extension for Mickey Arthur & Co as PCB plans post-World Cup overhaul

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by chandtara, Aug 7, 2019.

1. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Mickey Arthur's time as Pakistan's head coach will come to a close next week with the PCB deciding against renewing his contract. It's not just Arthur. The board's decision will mean that nearly the entire coaching staff of the senior men's team - batting coach Grant Flower, bowling coach Azhar Mahmood, and fitness trainer Grant Luden - will not have their contracts extended.

According to a statement released by the PCB today, the board will be "immediately undertaking a robust recruitment process" to fill these roles ahead of Pakistan's next international commitment, a Test series in October against Sri Lanka.

With the contracts of Arthur, Flower, Azhar and Luden all ending on August 15, none of the coaches have been sacked per se. But Arthur, certainly, had expressed an eagerness to continue: in an exhaustive review conducted by the PCB after the World Cup, Arthur asked for a chance to present his report, which was widely seen as a chance for him to defend his record and make a case for an extension.

Ehsan Mani, the PCB chairman, said in a statement: "I am thankful to the PCB Cricket Committee for submitting their recommendations following an exhaustive and detailed review process. The committee comprised of individuals who possess tremendous acumen, experience and knowledge. The unanimous recommendation of the Committee was that it was time for new leadership and a fresh approach. I am happy to accept their strong recommendations.

"On behalf of the PCB, I want to sincerely thank Mickey Arthur, Grant Flower, Grant Luden and Azhar Mahmood for their hard work and unwavering commitment during their tenures with the national men's team. We wish them every success in their future endeavors."

More to follow…

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...y-arthur-co-pcb-plans-post-world-cup-overhaul

2. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Good Decision finally

3. Shaz130

Shaz130 Emerging Player

Dec 29, 2016
    Well he never looked like a coach who would take this team far. His words prettier than his actions I am afraid.

4. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    big loss

pakistan will fall even further, mark my words

5. Shaz130

Shaz130 Emerging Player

Dec 29, 2016
    I have marked your words. Will get back to them later when we finally win the World Cup in 2023.

6. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    Good intent shown here, no fear I ripping out the old. Flower was like the new intisaurus, didn’t matter what he did or didn’t do, was always employed previously. They’ve advertised the posts, let’s see who else applies. If I understand it, they can all re apply and if they are the best option will get a new contract.

7. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    Not sure how I feel about this. For the sake of continuity he should have maybe kept the job until the World T20.

8. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    a good decision to get rid of Mickey in my opinion, he just was not quality which is why he has been ejected by other top boards. no strategy, no intelligence, just a PR machine and secretarial skilled organiser. internal sources I have have pretty much confirmed this over the past few years. I would be interested and surprised to see him secure another top level coaching job:

Mickey Arthur said he was "disappointed and hurt" as he was axed as Pakistan coach following an underwhelming 2019 International Cricket Council (ICC) World Cup.

Arthur, who has been linked with a move to England, said he had done his best with Pakistan who narrowly failed to reach the World Cup semi-finals.

"I am extremely disappointed and hurt," the South African told AFP shortly after the Pakistan Cricket Board announced his departure.

"I did my wholehearted effort to lift Pakistan cricket," he added.

Arthur's contract expired after last month's World Cup, won by hosts England, and he had asked for a two-year extension.

Arthur removed as PCB looks to revamp coaching setup

But Pakistan Cricket Board chief Ehsan Mani said Arthur and his coaching staff, including assistants Grant Flower and Azhar Mahmood, were all out.

"PCB will be immediately undertaking a robust recruitment process after it decided not to renew the contracts of head coach Arthur, bowling coach Azhar Mahmood, batting coach Grant Flower and trainer Grant Luden," the board said in a statement.

Pakistan's new coaching staff will be appointed after a four-member committee assesses the team's performance at the World Cup, it said.

Reports say Arthur is on the shortlist of names for the next England coach after Trevor Bayliss departs following the ongoing Ashes Test series.

Arthur joined Pakistan in May 2016, leading them to a drawn Test series with England that lifted them to the top of the rankings.

Pakistan also won the Champions Trophy in England in June 2017, raising their stock in limited-overs cricket.

That win, Arthur said, "brought on a whole new team of young players".

"We also became world number one in Twenty20 cricket in this period, which was an achievement," he said.

However, Pakistan has wilted in Tests in the last two years, losing 2-0 to Sri Lanka in the United Arab Emirates in 2017.

In all, Pakistan won 10 out of 28 Tests under Arthur, losing 17 and drawing one.

Pakistan have also struggled in ODIs in the last two years. Under Arthur, Pakistan won 29 of 66 ODIs, losing 34 with three no-results.

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/news/detail/arthur-hits-out-at-pcb-after-pakistan-axe

9. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Tracer Bullet

Dec 26, 2011
    Lets see what miracles the next coach can conjure up.

It will be the same old story..rinse..repeat.

10. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    Bad decision. Bad bad decision.

11. Shaz130

Shaz130 Emerging Player

Dec 29, 2016
    We don’t need miracles we need skills. As long as the next coach provides those we will succeed. Its time to get rid of that unpredictability tag.

12. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
    Terrible decision.

Watch the coaches take all the blame and the same TTFs will be brought back into the team.

13. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    So the ejected, rejected coach is currently being considered as one of the top three coaches to take over the England position.

So much for being such a poor coach. I'd imagine New Zealand and South Africa would have him as one of their top targets too if they had an available slot.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/49211992

I doubt Pakistan will be able to get a better coach. Looking forward to Mohsin Khan or someone like that getting the job here.