No matter how much criticism I get, I think you need to give players a proper chance: Misbah

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Pakistan head coach-cum-chief selector Misbahul Haq has backed misfiring players to come good in the remaining matches of the Men in Green’s ongoing Twenty20 International (T20I) series against Sri Lanka.

While speaking during a press conference at the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore, Misbah threw his weight behind Pakistan captain Sarfaraz Ahmed, opener Ahmed Shehzad and middle-order batsmen Umar Akmal and Iftikhar Ahmed.

Comeback stars Akmal fell for a first ball duck while Shehzad managed just four runs. Skipper Sarfaraz accumulated 24 off 30 balls and Iftikhar 25 off 24, while chasing a target of 166 in first T20I on Saturday. However, they batted slowly and the asking rate soared.

“Sarfaraz is under pressure but as a coach and management team, I try to support him as much as possible so he plays his natural game and the same goes for the other players,” said Misbah. "With regards to Ahmed Shehzad, with every player I will try to be fair and give proper chances so that they know they have been given adequate opportunities before any decision was taken about them. No matter how much criticism I get, I think you need to give players a proper chance.”

“No matter how big a player you are, whenever you make a comeback after a long time out from international cricket, no matter the opposition, there is pressure on you and it takes time to recover from that,” he added.

He also shed light on the reason behind inclusion of Akmal and Iftikhar in the playing XI.

"Iftikhar Ahmed and Umar Akmal have been brought in the team so that we have some power in the team. When you try out something then you need to have some patience and you shouldn't be so harsh on players, that you give judgement after one innings,” he said. “If you look at Akmal's performance, over the last year everyone was asking why he didn't get a chance because he scored runs in every format in domestic cricket.”

Despite the criticism Misbah has faced over his selection, the former Pakistan captain is not keen on pressing the panic button after just one defeat.

“Pressure doesn't help, in T20Is you need to express yourself. I am remaining positive and I am hopeful that the same goes for the players and we do well in the next match. Whenever you lose as a number one team it hurts and I think everyone felt that, we will try to make sure the outcome is different in remaining matches," he said. “We try to win matches but we shouldn't press the panic button and start ringing the changes. These players can perform for Pakistan going forward and win matches"

The remaining two matches will be played on Monday and Wednesday — also in Lahore — with Pakistan needing to win both encounters to claim the T20I series.

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/news/detail/misbah-throws-weight-behind-misfiring-players

2. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Are you even in your sense Misbah? Proper change, huh.

These two chucklehead (C.Akmal and Selfie) were given ample chances and they failed every time in crunch moments in pressure situation, specially in a chase.

Whoever has been following Pakistan cricket knows this very well.

3. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Misbah"No matter how much criticism I get, I think you need to give players a proper chance.”

After saying that he drops Iftikhar; Irony die with every word that Misbah Says.

What Asif Ali doing in the team? Is it Islamabad United connect?

4. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    Umar Akmal:

ODIs played = 121
    T20 played = 83
    Test Played = 16

Ahmad Shehzad

ODI played = 81
    T20 played = 58
    Tests played = 13

hmmm .... how many more chances should they get?
    Seriously, goli maarney laieq hai ye ghattiya insan.

5. iZaman

iZaman Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    LOL..You had hoped cricket would flourish under IK...unfortunately theres not a single department left which hasn't gone to pathetic nepotism levels...Glory to the 92 world cup win.

6. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010

If this dumb EFF has not realized it by now and he still gave them an effing chance then it tell us about his mental caliber.
    Even a blind man knows that Shehzad and Akmal are long done and dusted yet our CHEIF SELECTOR cum HEAD COACH doesn't know shit about shit.
    Misbah should be fired immediately !! We already got enough evidence to prove his inability to have to two brain cells and be able to make very basic logical decision. How the FFF can you recall these two ???? Unless of course, there is money involved. And I won't be surprised to see Misbah taking bribes. He is a money hungry mofo.

7. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    Sack this a-hole before the destroys Baber.

8. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    U r worried for babar and I worried for pakistan cricket

It is preferable to be Man of Understanding then to be a Man of Knowledge.

9. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    one bad series and of all a T20 comedy series

and everyone acting like its end of the world

10. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    Perhaps we should not pay him $20,000 for this month's salary?
    Just one bad pay check, right?

11. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    Umar Akmal fits well in the T20 squad. In fact, long term, he should be the keeper and replace Sarfraz if he can regain his form.

12. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Garbage bag.

13. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    One bad T20 series is acceptable but we are worried about the simply foolish decision taken to make the lost possible.

You lose to B/C team of Sri Lanka mainly bcoz the Cs and Coach wanted to remodel the T20 squad as his liking, he bench the inform haris to play ahmed shehzad and umar.

We lost due captain put his interest ahead of the team bat way out of his number.

We lost because bowling was shoddy with no hope of improving.

Loosing series is ok but loosing bcoz you are an idiot is not.

14. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    We lost because the team was rubbish all around. Really can't place the blame on one aspect of the game and certainly not because 2 new guys didn't perform. A lot of wins for this team come when Babar does well. As soon as he fails, this team crumbles.

15. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Y can't everyone understand a simple thing?

Haris was inform and to bench him just try out other or to satisfy your ego for selecting them in squad is the simplest reason for lost.

In what world should sarfraz will be batting 4/5 ?
    Any other team by now had sacked sarfraz not promoted him up the order.

After first t20, they said want to give fair chance but dropped iftikhar who scored 25 runs.

They drop haris so that umar can bat at 3 but ahmed was 3 in second t20.

When u don't stick with your opinion than it is not opinion but simply an excuse. Frankly I stop watching cricket by wc2015 due to this same trend of providing excuse to their shit planning and execution.

To top it up misbah will behave all saintly and say I'll not worry about criticism but won't change my opinion, his fan will go ga gs forever and in process kill Pakistan cricket.

Misbah as cs and coach is a self inflicted wound and will get worse with time.

There are Doctors who treatment illness to cure the patient and doctors like misbah and his fan club who treat the symptoms just to show off while killing the patient.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  16. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
  17. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Very valid point made by DJ.

18. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Wait for something b4 a misbah fan say DJ is jealous, sour grapes and ....

You can't make logical points against misbah it is as good as blasphemy for Pakistan Cricket.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    pakistan cricket is crap. decades of mismanagement, and unprofessionalism has resulted in a situations where nobody of any skill applies for any of the jobs. Mickey was rejected/sacked by Australia and England, and now cant find a job. flower had never coached anyone. this was Mahmood's first coaching assignment. our fielding coach left because of the gross incompetence at the board level.

thats the reality and facts of the matter. the board was so bad that the whole institution has rotted into nothing.

with that backdrop, what do you do? one of the problems in the past was that there was always a scapegoat. the coach would blame the selector, the selector would blame the payers, the players would blame the captain, the captain would blame the coach and so on. with no performance metrics, no clear job descriptions, no professionalism at the board level, there was no way that this destructive cycle for decades was going to change.

for pakistan, and for that recent historical context, I think its an excellent idea to have the chief selector and coach merged into one, if for nothing else than to make accountability much clearer. its obviously the fan's nature to knee jerk and shoot from the hip with emotion after a series or so, and there is no way anyone with any integrity can blame the current set up that has just taken the helm, on current results - what we are currently seeing is the fruits of the previous set up - but that all said, im not as sure as some here that we are worse off than before.

1. I think the role of selector + coach merged is a good one for our context
    2. I would not have picked Misbah given the lack of any coaching credentials and experience, but if no one else of a better calibre applied, with requisite minimum conditions, there's no choice. thats debatable, but unless we know the criteria, the applicants, and their qualifications - any debate is speculative
    3. we ave to now wait and see.

im certainly not surprised by teh results and performances we have seen, and I think most observers wouldn't be either. I think the vast majority understand that the CT win was a fluke given the state of our quality cricket: test>odi>t20 in terms of quality, but in terms of our strength t20>odi>test - highlighting a dismal underlying quality of our cricket.

I still dont think Misbah was the right guy to have picked, but im unaware of any better alternative. certainly mickey was awful as can be seen by his own professional history, his current job status and the results we are seeing now, and the ones he left us with.

20. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    When roles and job description is not clear, what should n
    Professional people do?

They define the job in totality and make it clear that there will be accountability based on evaluation.

What PCB do?

Merge the roles and hand it over to a person who is the reason for the mess. The person who is sued will have to resign base o the conflict of interest terms.

Sorry this dumb idea of having misbah as a coach is stupidity of next level even for PCB. To make the matter worse they have made him Cs too.

Just a month back they didn't want Yk to be coach and Cs for junior teams for that was too much of power in one hand but for misbah with senior team it is ok.

Sorry this is not professionalism.

21. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010

"What do you do?"
    Yeah, you hire Misbah as head coach and chief selector?

NO SIR !! You sack the ENTIRE board's management panel. THIS IS WHAT YOU DO !!