Obviously, I’m playing well - and this team depends on me and Babar: Imam-ul-Haq

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Jun 14, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Imam, who believes that Pakistan team depends mainly on him and the prolific Babar Azam, admitted that he was hugely disappointed over his failure to play a match-winning knock in Taunton.

“Obviously, I’m playing well - and this team depends on me and Babar (Azam),” said the 23-year-old Imam. “When Babar got out (for 30), it was then my responsibility and I was going well but it was not a good ball that got me out, the same as I did against the West Indies.

“I knew I’d spent a hell of a lot of time on a tricky wicket so I knew it wouldn't be easy for any new batsman to come in. So it was a huge disappointment because it’s a World Cup stage and if you get set, you really have to make it count if you want to stay in the tournament.

“If I’ve scored 30 in a winning side, that would be great, I’d be very happy. As a pro, if you’re winning matches for your country, that’s the best thing and if you’re not even if you score a fifty, that’s a huge disappointment.”

Imam stressed that Pakistan will need to put their best foot forward in what is almost a must-win game against arch-rivals India in Manchester on Sunday.

“We’ve had one game rained off which was very important for us - every game now is very important for us, so yes you can say that.

“Obviously, to be part of that kind of game, it’s great. It’s in Manchester, lots of Pakistani fans there - so I’m really excited about it.

“It’s a huge pressure game, obviously. Pakistan and India, there’s a lot of history behind that but we want to just focus on our cricket strengths and how we can get better,” he said.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/484003-i-need-to-show-more-concentration-says-imam-ul-haq

2. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I learned something new today (I agree on Babar's part though).

3. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Of course, the team totally depends on him in losing 16 out 17 matches in a row. Like his honesty.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. BuccalSingh

BuccalSingh Youngsta Beauty

Mar 21, 2016
    Utter failure in this Wc so far

5. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    I don't understand the hate for Imam on this forum. Makes no sense honestly.

6. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    Do you REALLY believe he would've made it to Pak team without Inzi? I don't think so.

Since he is not in the team on pure merit and talent, he plays slow and tentative and on the back foot to score some runs that will make his numbers look good. This is costing us the game.

If you play 5 balls and score 5 runs, that run rate of 100% is good, BUT if you play 50 balls and score 50 runs then that run rate of 100% sends shame on you. This is how the modern game works.

Perhaps he should play down the order. He is not suitable take any advantage of first or second power plays.

7. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    I don't care whether or not he would've made the team without Inzi. Nepotism is just the way of the world. The point is that he has shown he belongs. Would you rather us go back to Awais Zia or Ahmed Shehzad?

He hit an incredible 150 against England after the top order fell apart, and even against Australia scored a solid 50. Yes he got out stupidly, but he held his ground after Fakhar and Babar got out. I don't care how slow Imam plays when clearly this team's problem is not its top order. The problem is its bowling and fielding and lower order batsmen.

Focus your hate in an actually impactful area - not Imam, who's been scoring runs consistently.

8. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    He’s right, imam and babar are our core in the batting.

9. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    I was among the doubters but he has shown that he belongs in the team. Needs to continue to perform.

10. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    I still don't think he is suitable to play in the opening role unless he improves his game to take advantage of power play.
    He seems quite selfish.

11. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    Rather have someone selfish than someone who scores 1 in 5 innings, a la Fakhar as of late. Can't defend runs if there aren't any to begin with.

12. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    I’d rather Hassan Ali or Wahab or Asif to open the innings with Fakhar in an effort to take advantage of the power play.

Imam can come 6 down and I don’t mind.

13. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    Do you know anything about cricket?

14. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    I really do hate Imam. I do not think that's fair on guys like Fakhar, Hafeez even Sarfraz.

Imam is shoda and shodas never do well. If it wasn't a world cup I'd want his career over. He chats a lot of crap on the media. I think he should be kept away. There are players who are far better then Imam looks wise, personality wise and playing wise but he thinks he's some teesmaar Khan.

#BringbackShehzad

15. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    Played international cricket by representing Pakistan in All Pakistan college 11 vs All Sri Lanka college 11.
    Played Quaed-e-Azam Trophy, Pakistan under 19, and first class cricket in Pakistan.

Used to have a profile on cricinfo before it was bought over by ESPN.

But yeah, in some respect, I do have international color under my belt. How about you?

16. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    when a player starts self praising then you already know he is a piece of crap.

17. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    Why do you have to praise yourself ?

Either youre suffering from inferiority complex or mentally weak.

We all know he contributes the bulk of runs but there is no need to say it yourself.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

18. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    maybe because in almost every single press conference, reporters ask him stupid dumb questions

i mean i cant see any other player holding their composure. If it was someone like Inzi, Afridi they would have smashed a chair on a reporter's head by now

19. baqir

baqir Cornered Tiger

Sep 17, 2012
    Imam ul Haq has been Pakistan’s most in form batsman in the current year. Hope he can covert the starts to triple figures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. PakistanZindabad!

PakistanZindabad! Cornered Tiger

Sep 29, 2012
    I agree, should let his performance talk for him, you don’t see Amir coming out and saying similar stuff even though he’s easily our best player right now IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    You just endorsed my point about mental weakness.

Reporters will always try to piss you off doesnt mean you should start bragging yourself.

Those who are fair will judge you on your performance, those who are not, wont give you credit even if you average 100. Simples.

22. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    He might be good but he is a fool. Just close your mouth and answer your critics with the bat. Self praising at its best. First win a game for Pakistan both you and Babar and then we will talk.

23. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    To curb the dumbness of our players in front of press, PCB should amend their work contracts by adding a new clause that should read the following.

1 - I, as a player, will write and then read out LOUD the following, at least 100 times a day for as long as I play for Pakistan. And this is THE ONLY answer and I will give in a press conference to EVERY question asked by ANY journalist.

MY FOCUS IS ON MY PREPARATION AND MY PRACTICE, AND I WILL TRY MY BEST IN THE GAME.”

24. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    Not the most talented or technically correct but statistically Imam is the best ODI batsman in this team

Overall Hafeez is still our best bat

25. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    This is such an absurd, backwards Pakistani POV. just because somebody is answering a question honestly, and having some confidence that they were playing well, they are automatically insecure or mentally weak.

bro, our players grow up mentally weak because they are not taught to have self-confidence and believe in themselves. they are always told that something is wrong or this is something they need to fix. It is the core reason why our players fall apart so often.

Love this attitude and hope he crushes it tomorrow.

26. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    When a player like Hafeez is your BEST bat then you can imagine the quality of such a team - nuff said!

27. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    The bold part - This is EXACTLY what players like Kohli think. Continuous improvement. NEVER SATISFIED!

Just watch today’s program of Shoaib Akhtar’s chat with Harbajjan on Shoaib’s YT channel.

Shoaib asked Harbajjan as to what seperates Kohli from others?

And bhajji said these golden words.

“Wo ziddi hai - HIS WILL is bigger than his SKILL

continuous improvement, NEVER self praise and NEVER satisfied with his achievements.

And look at our low esteemed, under confident sifaarshi **** who are praising themselves in press conferences.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2019
  28. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
  29. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    Who the feck gets out to a raillu katta like Shankar

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

30. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Whenever he opened his mouth, he followed it with a failure.

Why man why ?

31. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Shoaib Akhtar said he doesn't play cover drive I just noticed yes he does not play cover drive.

#Shodaparlanat

32. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    one raillu katta got another raillu katta.
    Simple.