Opening the bowling with Shoaib Akhtar

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Feb 12, 2010.

Opening the bowling with Shoaib Akhtar

by Abdul Habib
Feb 12, 2010 at 4:56 PM
  1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    shoaib-akhtar-plane-celebration.png

A couple of days ago the rain robbed Irfan of a chance to open the bowling with Shoaib Akhtar but today was a different story. KRL were up against the Lahore Eagles and Akhtar was the captain. He lost the toss and KRL were put in to bat on a good batting track, Mo Idrees (104) and Bazid Khan (59) combined to put up a total of 263.

The Eagles began their chase against an opening combination of the world's tallest bowler and the one-time world's fastest bowler. Akhtar had a hamstring niggle so wasn't able to generate his usual pace but still managed to get through all 10 of his overs. Akhtar is really committed to proving his fitness for the T20 World Cup and so played despite the hamstring niggle.

Despite the Eagles boasting Mo Irshad in their bowling line-up, the fastest bowler on display today was Mohammad Irfan. Team mates estimated that Irfan was bowling in the high 80mph range. Irfan took 1/20 in 8 overs at an economy of just 2.5 runs per over.

Akhtar told Irfan that he was on the right track and that if he kept on improving like this then he would takes stacks of wickets in places like Australia, South Africa and England.

Despite his great bowling Irfan wasn't needed to complete his quota of 10 overs because of some great restrictive bowling by KRL's Saeed Anwar Jr who took 1/24 in 10 overs. It was a great first game for KRL and hopefully they can keep the momentum going for the rest of the tournament too.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
Habib conducts player interviews and writes articles for Cricistan.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

1. Bouncer

Bouncer Talented

Jan 14, 2010
      His last game for Pak was in april 2009....he had 10 months to work on his fitness and he claims that he has been working hard in that time.......result is that he comes back with a "hamstring niggle"...amazing...just amazing!

2. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
      That's Shoaib Akhtar for you!

3. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      Actually irfan and a couple of other KRL players have said that Akhtar is looking much leaner and is working hard in the nets. At his age niggles are expected in even the fittest players but I dont really want to see Akhtar back for Pakistan.

I'd rather remember him pre-2005 and forget the last 5 years ever happened.

4. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
      Do you have link for the scorecard? I cant find it on cricinfo.

5. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    6. Nadeem

Nadeem Emerging Player

Dec 22, 2009
      ^

Impressive figures from Irfan, Inshallah his able to take a shed load of wickets to get recognised for his hard work. Merc, Shoaib’s name doesn’t appear in the scorecard above :S

7. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      Yeah it's a typo. I spoke to Irfan and another KRL player. They both said Akhtar captained the team but his pace was down because of the hamstring niggle. He was just running through the motions to show his commitment.

8. wik_rko

wik_rko Youngsta Beauty

Feb 16, 2010
      Shoaib is our hero... Accept it

hey guys...
      we r talkin abt the world's fastest bowler here... so better be a bit respectful...
      we r not talkin abt people like wasim nd waqar who were fitter, but sold their countries several times...
      WC 96, WC 99, nd several more times... now theyve grown beard nd ask for forgiveness...
      wen people talk abt the world's fatest bowler, they speak abt shoaib nd pakistan...
      have u done somthng which makes ur country name bigger except ctiticising on people...
      talk abt our president first if u really want to criticise someone!!!
      shaun tait was given an year nd a half off to recover from his injuries nd mental issues...
      he wasnt criticised, becuz aussies knew how good he is for them...
      i feel disgusted wen people like u all sat stuff against shoaib...
      stop following wat people say... ITS TIME YOU START THINKING A BIT...

9. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
      Not sure what you're alluding to Wik, the only one from Wasim and Waqar to grow a beard is Waqar and Waqar was sidelined during the 99 WC.

It makes no sense to say that we should respect Shoaib just for being the fastest bowler in the world. A person earns respect through their actions and a sportsperson earns respect through their professionalism and their accomplishments.

10. 12thman

12thman Youngsta Beauty

Feb 15, 2010
      Mercenary any chance of getting an interview from Akhtar?

11. wik_rko

wik_rko Youngsta Beauty

Feb 16, 2010
      well now let me get it straight with you... saeed anwer, mushtaq ahmed, inzamam ul haq,salim malik,wasim nd waqar... these guys sold pakistan in WC96... rashid latif gave broke the news abt these guys, but he was thrown out of cricket for tellin the truth...
      go do some researches, nd u'll know how injustice has rashid gone through...
      if ur doin a job for me, i wont interfere in ur personal life... i wont care wat u do after work...
      injuries r part of game nd players like nadal nd all greats suffer injuries, that doesnt take their respect away from them...
      no wonder akhtar was less fit, but he wasnt atleast accused for max fixing...
      a soldier who gets injured is better than a soldier who kills some, make name for himself nd sell his country... gettin my point???
      i know no1 will agree with me, becuz we pakistanis have become stubborn, we think nomatter wat our perception is, it correct...
      like i said, ITS TIME WE START THINKIN GUYS... ITS TIME
      nd in current team, its shoaib malik,umar gul,kamran nd umer akmal who r destroyin the team...
      better think abt that too

12. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
      Two wrongs doesnt make a right. Akhtar tested positive for performance enhancing drugs, He was accused of feigning injuries...

And what about a soldier who knows he's not fit to fight but is stubborn enough not to leave his place for a fitter soldier. What about a soldier who runs away from the battlefield half way through because he doesnt like the person leading the fight..??

13. 12thman

12thman Youngsta Beauty

Feb 15, 2010
      But one thing Akhtar's main goal was to always represent Pakistan first, whereas our other star Afridi has dropped the test format to participate in leagues around the world. Akhtar would have been fit for IPL 3 but we didnt see his name feature in the auction list? He has always put Country over other leagues and has looked to to get back in to all three teams. Obviously with age and injury it makes sense for him to just feature in the limited overs game,however if he was able there is no doubt he would put his name forward to play in the test team.