Pakistan became a better team in South Africa‚ says Mickey Arthur

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by chandtara, Feb 7, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Pakistan coach Mickey Arthur has insisted that his team return home a better side with important lessons learnt despite having lost to the Proteas in all the formats during their disappointing two-month tour to South Africa.

South Africa beat Pakistan 3-0 in the Test series‚ 3-2 in the ODIs series and 2-1 in the T20 series but Arthur said his team have learned from playing on spicy South African wickets‚ and they also ticked an important box with regards to World Cup preparations.

“We have been on the road for four-and-half months‚ at hotels‚ if you factor in that we played against Australia and New Zealand in the United Arab Emirates (UAE)‚” he said after their 27-run T20 win over Proteas on Wednesday might.

“I genuinely believe that we are a better team than we were before arriving in South Africa last year.

“We are a better team for our World Cup preparations and playing in foreign conditions and I am proud with the way the guys have stuck to their guns.

“We gained valuable knowledge and confidence on playing against the frightening South African fast bowling attack.

“Throughout the South African tour‚ we have seen how guys have grown because this is a tough place to tour and no Asian team comes here and win. For us to have competed throughout the series was pleasing.

“The boys never got to the point where they had one foot on the plane back home. Our last training session was as intense as the first training session we had when we arrived in the country.

“I am incredibly happy how the young boys have grown during this tour. We will certainly come back a far better team in future‚ there were only three guys in the Test team who have toured SA before.”

Arthur also gave credit to the Proteas‚ who were brilliant at times‚ especially in the Test series‚ where they won by convincing margins of six wickets‚ nine wickets and 107 runs at SuperSport Park‚ Newlands and Wanderers respectively.

“Full marks to South Africa because they played the crunch moments well during the tour. I have been very impressed with the this South African team in all the formats.

“They have lots of talent and they unleashed more young players in this T20 series and guys keep on stepping to the plate. I think they are in a good position.”

He praised the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for backing Sarfaraz Ahmed as captain after he left the camp early following a ban by the International Cricket Council (ICC) for his racist remarks on Andile Phehlukwayo.

“It is a good decision. I spoke to the chairman this week and we had a long discussion about it‚” Arthur said.

“There has been a long speculation about him and the Pakistan media is vicious‚ as you can imagine‚ and it is a tough environment when you are not winning.

“’Safi’ [Sarfaraz] was feeling the pressure but we can now focus on preparing for the World Cup.”

Arthur said that he hopes for a good reception when Pakistan arrive back home.

“I hope the Pakistan media and the public sees the positives from this tour. I am doing a press conference in Lahore on Friday morning and I am hoping that they see it for what it is‚ and the fact that Pakistan doesn’t have the history of winning here.

“I hope they see how Babar Azam‚ Imam ul-Huq and a couple of our young players are developing because that is the biggest takeaway from the tour.”

https://www.sowetanlive.co.za/sport...tter-team-in-south-africa-says-mickey-arthur/

2. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Are we minnows now who are going to takeaway all such smalls things from a tour that... oh wow our boys have grown up on this tour... mubarkaan jee, munday improve kar rahe hain... jawan hogaye soth afreeka jaa ke... lao jee cake kaato!!

3. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    blah blah blah - until. the next game it will be 'we need to have a think about why we are not consistent' and 'this is a great learning experience for this young team' etc etc

yawn

we dont care about learning, we want to see results and performance.

4. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    We were good in the LOI leg to be honest

3-2 loss in ODIs (we were the superior team in the first 4 ODIs)
    2-1 loss in T20s (with both games lost by 7> runs)

Could have easily gone the other way.

The only thing we need to work on is finishing strongly, was very poor how we let them off in the 2nd ODI and 2nd T20.

5. saiyan0321

saiyan0321 Whispering Death

Oct 5, 2014
    Inka kiya hai... Yeh tu learn kartay rahay gay.... Sorry but this was a horrid series where we were whitewashed 3-0 ( I don't care how close it was but losing three tests in a three match series is a massacre. It's like getting machine gunned and you say it was close and moral victory bcz you ran at him with a stick!) We were beaten 3-2 loosing the last game... We who pride ourselves in t20 cricket playing full guns blazing squad against unknown bowlers lost 3-1 losing the first two matches...

In an entire series of 11 matches we won three matches.. This is a horrendous performances and the boys need to get a few kicks for this.. Especially our senior players like malik who struggled through out...

6. cricfreak

cricfreak Emerging Player

Jul 6, 2010
    i really dont rate this SA team highly ,
    its a very inexperienced team plus even steyn is not as lethal as he used to be.
    and we still couldn't beat them in LOI's .
    worrying signs for me.

7. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    I get the annoyance on his comments, but he isnt wrong, we competed in most games and are closer to knowing our WC XI now.

Some players have cemented their spots while the weaker links have been exposed.

8. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    You also have to take into consideration that SA were just trying different names and formations and hardly played their best XI in any game.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

9. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    We aren't a top team like India/England either that we should be disappointed and the games were played in SA. It's a difficult place to visit.

Overall it's a decent result for a top 5 team, one match the other way and we would've won both series.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G925F mit Tapatalk

10. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    We are learning this lesson since 1992.

11. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    Mickey needs to stop taking credit for the development of Babar Azam. We've known for nearly 8 years that Babar was extremely talented and will turn out to be one of the good ones. Fakhar Zaman, Hasan Ali, Shadab Khan, etc have all seen their performances deep over the last year.

12. Del

Del Whispering Death

Dec 21, 2016
    Rather than praising the whole team (which also involve none performers like Malik & Faheem etc), it wouldve been better to acknowledge performances of players like Babar, Imam, Shaheen and Shan (in Test).

Fakhar, Hassan, Shadab & Amir supposed to be our key players and others should've have support them. To be honest, I am very disappointed with their performance on this tour, and its a massive concern.

SA played their A side in Test and it was completely one sided series (Pakistan only had few good sessions).

In ODI, we were competitive, should've won 2nd ODI but luck favored SA too much on that game. Also, it was very disappointing to see the way we lost 5th ODI. The way Fakhar and Hafeez threw their wickets, I get the impression that they were taking SA too lightly and thats why we say that there is room of complacency.

My biggest disappointment was T20 series lost, that too against their "C" grade team.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  13. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    Mickey kept playing him in all three formats even when his returns haven't been there so he gets credit for backing him and putting his trust in him. We've had other talents in the past who didn't receive the same backing from the coaches/captains.

14. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    It's not about being a minnow!@ Its a development stage a process in the development of a team! When you consistently play in foreign conditions, you get the idea of those conditions and learn how to bat in those conditions which Pakistan have learned most importantly! We no longer see Pakistan getting bowled out for 50 although our batting in test cricket specially is very inexperienced! (Eik Harris Sohail mila humein woh bhi har baar injure hojata hai). We have seen how Imam and Babar Azam specially have developed on this tour! Emergence of Shan Masood has been so good! So you have to take failures on the chin to become a better team in the longer run! India became this good by playing and losing in conditions like these! They learned how to win in these conditions by playing consistently away from home! This is exactly what Pakistan is doing right now! There is no short cut for this!!

15. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    We will perform much better in Australia after this tour's experience in my opinion!!

16. BuccalSingh

BuccalSingh Youngsta Beauty

Mar 21, 2016
    How did the team improve as a whole? the test matches started to become more one sided with time, the non performers (fakhar,Azhar,amir,hassan,sarf,yasir) continued to fail, the struggle with short pitch bowling remained till the very end.
    The team never really improved, unless we stop playing in uae, this team is not likly to do well in test matches in future.

17. thair9999

thair9999 Youngsta Beauty

Oct 17, 2010
    We did not have Sarfraz in last few matches, that is an improvement in itself.

18. harsha

harsha Youngsta Beauty

Nov 17, 2013
    what is mickey smoking ?