Pakistan ODI team for the series against Australia in UAE announced

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Munna, Mar 8, 2019.

Pakistan ODI team for the series against Australia in UAE announced

by Munna
Mar 8, 2019 at 11:13 AM
  1. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Pakistan ring changes for Aussie ODIs

D1IcxK0XcAIrxlm.jpg

Australia will take on a depleted Pakistan outfit that has rested six players in the upcoming ODI series in the UAE.

Pakistan will face Australia in five one-day internationals from March 22 without six first-choice players: captain Sarfaraz Ahmed, Babar Azam, Fakhar Zaman, Hasan Ali, Shadab Khan and Shaheen Shah Afridi.

Pakistan made eight changes in total to the squad that lost 3-2 to South Africa this summer, with allrounder Hussain Talat dropped and veteran Mohammad Hafeez was not considered as he recovers from thumb surgery.

The 16-player group will be captained by 37-year-old Shoaib Malik who leads a squad with eight new faces - Abid Ali, Haris Sohail, Junaid Khan, Mohammad Abbas, Mohammad Hasnain, Saad Ali, Umar Akmal and Yasir Shah – including four uncapped players in Abid, Abbas, Hasnain and Saad.

Australia also named their squad for the series, a full-strength group that remains unchanged from the original 15-players that were picked for the Qantas Tour of India.

Paceman Mitch Starc (pec) and batsmen Steve Smith (elbow) and David Warner (elbow) were not considered for selection as they manage respective injuries.

Smith and Warner are eligible for selection for the final two ODIs in Dubai, but the National Selection Panel has decided their best path back to the national team is through the Indian Premier League.

The five-match series represents the final official one-day internationals for Australia before the World Cup squad is picked before the April 23 cut-off date.

The Aussies will have a training camp at the start of May in Brisbane, where they will play a New Zealand team in three 50-over matches, along with the two World Cup warm-up games against England and Sri Lanka in Southampton.

Pakistan have the luxury of three warm-up games then a five-match series against England in England following the series against Australia, along with the two mandatory World Cup warm-ups.

Pakistan chairman of selectors Inzamam-ul-Haq said his country has "too much cricket" between now and the World Cup and had there been no warm-up games before the England series, Pakistan would have fielded a stronger side.

"I am pleased that we have been able to develop a strong bench-strength that has helped us to make eight changes from the previous series," Inzamam said.

"This is a good sign for Pakistan cricket as we now have a big pool of players who have the capability, talent and potential, and are raring to step up and seize the opportunity when thrown at the deep end.

"While Haris Sohail, Junaid Khan, Umar Akmal and Yasir Shah are returning to ODI cricket, Abid Ali, Mohammad Abbas, Mohammad Hasnain and Saad Ali have been rewarded for stellar performances in domestic cricket.

"The series against the world champions will not be an easy one and these players, in fact, will be tested to their limits. This will provide these players a great opportunity to display their skills and temperament, strengthening their claims for a World Cup call-up as there are a few places up for grabs."

Pakistan 16-player squad to face Australia: Shoaib Malik (captain), Abid Ali, Faheem Ashraf, Haris Sohail, Imad Wasim, Imam-ul-Haq, Junaid Khan, Mohammad Abbas, Mohammad Amir, Mohammad Hasnain, Mohammad Rizwan (wicketkeeper), Saad Ali, Shan Masood, Umar Akmal, Usman Shinwari, Yasir Shah

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/pak...lia-uae-sarfraz-ahmed-shoaib-malik/2019-03-08

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2019
Munna puts his talent of making up stuff to good use for writing boring articles and reports on Cricistan, though he once won the Most Cheerful Poster of Cricistan award.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

1. Patriot

Patriot Boom Boom

Oct 8, 2014
      and down goes our WC chances by bringing back the pathetic akmal

2. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
      No Babar, Hassan Ali, Sarfraz, Shaheen and Shadab

3. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
      Shinwari, Rizwan, Yasir Shah ... tauba astaghfaar

4. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
      No Babar?

Yaar, whose gonna make all the runs?

Our chaps play first team against Zimbabwe C but against five time world champs we are playing second team, lolllllllll.

Btw to all the Inzi haters Saad Ali is getting included, don’t worry in a few months your Saud will also get selected but it won’t be Inzi’s fault when he fails just like in end of 2017 you guys were asking for Talat and Sahibzada.

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Pessimistic Pessimistic x 1
      • List
    5. Red Devil

Red Devil Whispering Death

Dec 15, 2013
      Who tf is Abid Ali rofl.

6. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
      Hasnain has got a fast track into the big league. Happy for this lad.

I hope Haris Sohail performs and doesn't get injured again.

• Text Talk Text Talk x 1
      • List
    7. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
      Why not select Rauf too ?

What has Yasir done to get selected ahead of Zafar or Umer Khan ?

8. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
      XI for this series:

1) Shan Masood
      2) Imam ul Haq
      3) Haris Sohail
      4) Shoaib Malik (c)
      5) Umar Akmal
      6) Mohammad Rizwan (wk)
      7) Imad Wasim
      8) Fahim Ashraf
      9) Mohammad Hasnain
      10) Mohammad Abbas
      11) Amir / Junaid / Shinwari (rotate)

Shan, Haris, U Akmal, Hasnain & Abbas should play all games.
      2 spots open for Shan / Haris / U Akmal
      1 spot open for Hasnain / Shinwari / Abbas / Junaid

This is gonna be the WC squad confirmed (barring injury):

1) Fakhar Zaman
      2) Imam ul Haq
      3) Babar Azam
      4) Mohammad Hafeez
      5) Shoaib Malik
      6) Sarfraz Ahmed (c) (wk)
      7) Imad Wasim
      8) Shadab Khan
      9) Hasan Ali
      10) Mohammad Amir
      11) Shaheen Shah Afridi

12) Fahim
      13 & 14) 2 batsmen out of Shan / Haris / Umar Akmal
      15) 1 bowler out of Hasnain / Abbas / Shinwari / Junaid

I don't see Saad & Abid getting any games, they're only in the squad if someone has a shocker or to cover for any injury

9. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
      So hasnain made it. not sure what i make of umar akmal inclusion. who are saad ali and abid ali.

10. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
      Also good to see yasir shah in the mix for limited overs. i know he didnt really do well yet in psl but i guess we have try a genuine leg spinner it is always a good combination with the fast bowlers.

11. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
      Yasir is trash in limited overs, when will people realise this...

12. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
      Happy for Hasnain, well deserved. Should have selected Haris Rauf also. Good to have Akmal back.

I would have selected Umar Siddique instead of Rizwan as keeper.

Also what’s the point of Malik captaining? Should have used to series to test a youngster. PCB never give the captaincy to a youngster.

13. Phenom

Phenom Emerging Player

Aug 23, 2017
      Good to see Hasnain there.Not sure about Yasir,Abid and Rizwan.
      And what exactly Zafar Gohar has to do to get a call up he's quite clearly a best SLAO in Pakistan but Inzi is still hell bent on giving Yasir chances after chances.
      Also would have liked to see Saud Shakeel in the team but Quetta management had other plans.

14. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
      Rizwan does not deserve to be there. He's a horrible batsman

15. Gotham Cronie

Gotham Cronie Youngsta Beauty

Jan 14, 2015
      So you think the PCB rested players due to the opponent and not the schedule?

16. Gotham Cronie

Jan 14, 2015
      Resting players is fine but...

1) Why Shah?
      2) Why Rizwan?
      3) Why captain with Malik?

17. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
      I think this team will do better than the last squad we played against SA.

Thank God there is no Asif Ali. He was a disaster.

18. sabeeh

sabeeh Youngsta Beauty

Feb 23, 2015
      True but then who should replace Rizwan......

19. sabeeh

sabeeh Youngsta Beauty

Feb 23, 2015
      I agree Yasir Shah shouldnt be there but Inzi is looking for a leg spinner so i dont think there is harm in trying last time as there is no other leg spinner who could have been tried.

I dont think Rizwan should be anywhere near oneday and T-20 team but again at this time, there is no keeper who could have been included.
      I think Malik is ok choice at this time.

Great to See Hasnain being picked. Even if he doesnt get chance, thats ok as long as he can be groomed.

Abid ali deserve a chance but to me his a better test batsman. Instead of Saad ali, i would have picked Saud Shakeel.

I just dont think Umar Akmal should have been picked after only couple of good games in PSL. Even on those games, i dont think he played very well but i can see the thinking of Team management. Pakistan desperately need a batsman who can make 40 in 25 balls at Number 6.

Its good that Pakistan has rested Sarfaraz, Babar and all the fast bowlers.

I really hope Harris Sohail has a good series, we really need him in the World Cup.

20. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
      Umar Akmal has had an outstanding season in domestic cricket. He was in the top 3 of the QeA trophy as well. It's not just a few PSL matches.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    21. sabeeh

sabeeh Youngsta Beauty

Feb 23, 2015
      You are right....forgot about that.

22. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
      Lmao so we play full strength squads in every JAMODI and JAMT20 series imaginable, even a full strength squad against Scotland in T20!!!

However against a strong side before a world cup we rest all the key players!

PCB planning at its best one minute down the next minute even more down.

23. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
      Yes, should have selected Rauf and Umer Khan as well. Also I am not much impressed by Rizwan but seems like he made it in by default as the backup keeper.

24. Gotham Cronie

Jan 14, 2015
      So because they have done so in the past, they should do it again?

25. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
      Makes sense to rest players considering the amount of cricket coming up.

They've been playing nonstop since the previous AUS series

26. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
      Done what?

27. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
      Very harsh call not to select Haris Rauf. I feel for him, especially taking into account that Hasnain and Shinwari have been selected.

Also I'm not too sure about this squad,

Umar Siddiq > Rizwan
      Nawaz > Yasir
      Rauf > Shinwari

would have been a much better squad.

---

Anyway:

Imam ul Haq
      Shan Masood
      Haris Sohail
      Shoaib Malik (c)
      Umar Akmal
      Imad Wasim
      Muhammad Rizwan +
      Faheem Ashraf
      Muhammad Amir
      Junaid Khan
      Muhammad Abbas/Hasnain alternate

28. Gotham Cronie

Jan 14, 2015

29. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
      @Gotham Cronie you are assuming that I consider the Aussie series a Jamodi.

I dont.

30. Gotham Cronie

Jan 14, 2015
      Be that it may be that they played full strength squads in the past when they could have handed out debuts to youngsters, resting some players for this Australia series is the right move imo.

31. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
      Whats the point in making Malik captain?

He will probably retire after the world cup.

What if Shan masood scores 5 centuries in a row? Is Fakhar then out?

I think this just opens up a can of worms at this close period to the world cup.

32. thair9999

thair9999 Youngsta Beauty

Oct 17, 2010
      Not bad to give rest to usual players. Beside "Umar Akmal" good to see chance given to other players then we already have.

33. Gotham Cronie

Jan 14, 2015
      I agree regarding Malik. Should have tried maybe Imad.

2-3 spots are still open in the squad. If a player wants to step up, go for it.

34. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
      1. Imam
      2. Shan
      3. Abid Ali
      4. Harris Sohail
      5. Shoaib Malik (C)
      6. Imad
      7. Rizwan
      8. Amir
      9. Yasir Shah
      10. Abbas
      11. Hasnain
      World Cup:
      1. Imam
      2. Fakhar
      3. Babar
      4. Hafeez
      5. Malik
      6. Imad / Fahim
      7. Sarfraz
      8. Shadab
      9. Amir
      10. Abbas
      11. Shaheen
      Reserves: Hasnain, Fahim, Umar Sidique, Harris Sohail.

35. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
      Also, you could have Umar Akmal batting at either 3 or 4 according to his wish for so long. Harris Sohail should bat at 3, Akmal 4 and Malik 5.

1. Imam
      2. Shan / Abid
      3. Harris Sohail
      4. Umar Akmal
      5. Shoaib Malik
      6. Imad
      7. Rizwan
      8. Amir
      9. Yasir Shah
      10. Abbas
      11. Hasnain

36. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
      I think they will go for this since its uae:

1. Imam
      2. Abid
      3. Shan
      4. Harris
      5. Malik
      6. Akmal
      7. Fahim
      8. Amir
      9. Yasir
      10. Abbas
      11. Hasnain

37. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
      Shahid Afridi unhappy with decision to rest top players for ODI series against Australia

Pakistan will be playing Australia in a series of five ODI matches in the UAE, which will be their penultimate international assignment before they play the World Cup. The series will begin on March 22 with the first two matches taking place in the Sharjah Cricket Association Stadium, Sharjah. The third match will be played in Sheikh Zayed Stadium, Abu Dhabi and the last two matches will happen in Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai.

Meanwhile, the Pakistani selectors have decided to rest six players for the Australia series in the squad announced by them on March 8. The six players include captain, Sarfaraz Ahmed, as the team will be led by experienced Shoaib Malik, in his absence. Other players to be rested are Babar Azam, Fakhar Zaman, Hasan Ali, Shadab Khan, and Shaheen Shah Afridi.

Former Pakistani captain Shahid Afridi was furious with the Pakistani selectors’ decision of resting Sarfaraz Ahmed and other players for this key series to be played at ‘home’. He said, “Look if we had been playing against a weak side than it made sense to try new players but this is a series against a big team and I don’t think it was right time to rest players, after all, it is not as if they have been playing for some 10 or 15 years.”

He mentioned that if these players had done well against such a good team in home conditions, their confidence must have been boosted before the all-important World Cup 2019 in England and Wales. Afridi was also surprised by the selectors deciding to blood in rookie Mohammad Hasnain, who has played just two First-Class games and is currently part of Pakistan’s T20 league.

“I don’t know but we must first give chances to the established bowlers like Junaid Khan, Wahab Riaz etc. First, look and give proper chance to the established players because after all, we are playing in the World Cup,” Afridi was quoted as saying in Sportstar.

https://www.crictracker.com/shahid-...top-players-for-odi-series-against-australia/

38. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
      Last golden chance for Rizwan, if he fails this time even, then I will never call for inclusion in the international team. Do or die series for Rizwan.

39. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
      This U Akmal should be no way near the international team. Failure at international level. Inzamam has killed again by selecting him for the ODI series.