1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Pakistan supporters: the most fickle in the world?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by 1137moiz, Jan 11, 2013.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    With respect to my countrymen, nowhere have I seen such kneejerkers as I do among Pakistan fans who after one match will be clamouring for a player to be captain and the next ask for his head because they supposedly deserve better or because they imagine some aesthetically pleasing cricketer from the first-class scene who has not achieved a fraction in FC cricket of what XYZ player has in international cricket.

The most recent example I can think of is Umar Akmal. I'm not a fan of Umar Akmal who is to be honest mildly irritating at times. I'd be delighted if somebody like Haris Sohail, Asad Shafiq, Usman Salahuddin or Azhar Ali claimed that middle-order spot for good thru merit. Azhar is my favourite young Pakistan batsman and I like Shafiq a lot. By contrast I think Umar is a bit silly and given to getting out under pressure. But there is absolutely zero question that he is one of our best one-day batsmen and has been since his debut, exclusively away from home. You can argue that Umar's declining Test results and propensity to get out in stupid manners makes people hate him, but nobody scores as regularly in our lineup as he does--Azhar Ali and Nasir Jamshed are getting there but they each have a meagre sample of games.

Umar Akmal may irritate at times but by far he is our most proven young one-day batsman, by such a long shot that it's actually hilarious and a little sad to see his detractors claim that "one more brainfart will have him kicked out". Since his debut tour, where he scored a sprightly fifty and a blazing hundred before following up with a Test equivalent on debut, Umar has--even allowing for a blip in England, where he was nonetheless the leading run-scorer of an otherwise wretched lineup--been far and away our most reliable one-day batsman. Every time he scores a fifty when everybody else is batting in quicksand his detractors grumble, "Well he should do this more often." Yet he does it more often than anybody else in the one-day team.

In the single South Africa game Umar played after being dropped from the Tests and majority of the one-dayers, he top-scored in a losing cause (getting out with a silly shot, but we'll come to that). In the subsequent NZ series he was inconsistent yet played a number of useful cameos late in the innings in Pakistan's wins. Again in the 2011 World Cup Umar was one of the better batsmen, alongside Asad Shafiq and Misbah-ul-Haq, with useful knocks against Kenya, Australia, NZ, and India--all except Kenya,, these were games where the majority of his teammates failed. In the subsequent one-day series in West Indies, he played useful innings in almost every match and even in the Tests, he outperformed even the likes of Shafiq and Azhar comfortably as far as consistency goes; through the summer he did well in those few opportunities he had to bat and against SL he was comfortably our best batsman, with a superb 91 (that ended with a poor shot but was nonetheless a fine fine innings) and a match-winning 61. Umar prospered in Bangladesh and against England he was probably our best one-day batsman, which doesn't say much, but he scored a gutsy 50 under pressure yet again in a game where all our other batsmen except Afridi failed. He scored useful innings, including another match-winning half-century under pressure, in the Asia Cup and was blasted despite being our best one-day batsman in SL (this was partly because he decelerated in the final overs of the last match and kept trying silly premeditated swipes to midwicket off yorkers), but the point stands.

Now I'm not arguing that Umar is a brilliant batsman. That's in fact my entire point--he's a very good batsman in a team of mostly average batsmen, but he's certainly not a once-in-a-generation talent like his fans and detractors keep saying. In fact I personally feel that Nasir Jamshed and Ahmed Shehzad are more significantly more talented. People talk about Umar's temperament and that he doesn't care--I think he cares a bit too much which is why he either completely crumbles under extreme pressure trying an ambitious shot or prospers, as he did against Australia & SA in the 2011 WC & 2012 WT20, and also why he acts like an annoying showda sometimes to show his passion. He is played as a finisher yet he obviously can't finish on a regular basis--he's a batsman not a match-sealing hitter in the mould of Malik, Kamran, Afridi, Abdul Razaq--even Hafeez I think is better suited to that role on the basis of the T20s.

There are plenty of regular one-day batsmen with worse results--Younus Khan, Misbah-ul-Haq, Mohammad Hafeez, Shoaib Malik and Kamran Akmal among them--yet it is unfailingly this lad, even when he performs, singled out on the flawed conjecture that no doubt Salahuddin, Sohail, etc will be better than him because they've never hurt our feelings by getting out and everything is perfect until you have a personal experience with it. Somebody like Umer Amin or Hammad Azam, though they have potential, have not done a fraction in first-class cricket whatever Umar Akmal has done in internationals yet because they are not in the team we turn on somebody we feel is taking their spot regardless of his performance. Nor am I exempting Umar of blame, but the same people who argue ad nauseum about giving "young blood a chance" then turn on one of our most consistent "young bloods" whenever he makes an inevitable mistake. It's pure hypocrisy to complain (rightfully) about somebody like Shafiq, Azhar etc not getting a proper opportunity and then turning on a player who has the opportunity and is performing and wishing the same misfortune on him. And the argument that Umar doesn't learn is retarded, because he's firstly learning something new, and secondly if that argument was applied than the occasional brainfades we see from far more experienced players like Gul (short and wide), Misbah (dead-beating the middle of an innings), Younus (getting out to unnecessary dinky shots), Afridi (slogging unnecessarily)--in fact most international cricketers of an team--are inexcusable.

This isn't new or limited to maligned young bloods. Recently I've seen people wishing that Malik, Yousuf, Abdul Razzaq, Younus Khan, Afridi etc who have all been fine players to an extent for Pakistan fail even when they have been performing, and get disappointed when they perform--this is even when they were in form. I remember when Malik was captain and in form, dozens of fans wishing him ill because they didn't like his captaincy; same with Yousuf shortly afterward. Both Abdul Razzaq and Hafeez performed superbly in 2010 yet we had people pouncing on rare failures to just8fy the inclusion of any replacement, anybody so long as it's not the chaps in the team. Every player has arbitrary critics--for example people yap on about strikes-rates without lookinga at the match situation --and it's pathetic to be quite honest. I've seen people totally discount Younus, Misbah's achievements in Tests over the last 2-3 years because thru no fault of their own these Tests have not been played in England or South Africa. Taufeeq Umar and Umar Gul have also been lashed out at though they've performed respectably in contrast to most of their peers. Fawad Alam had haters for every time he played a shot inelegantly. NONE OF IT is based on merit. I remember there was a thread on Pakpassion many months ago calling Gul awful, bumping it everytime he leaked a four and falling silent everytime he took a wicket, waiting for the next opportunity with typical selective memory loss. Looking at the TV experts criticizing the dismissals of some batsmen and ignoring totally those of others, it often feels like Pakistan supporters aren't a fanbase but a jury

2. Satyagraha

Satyagraha Youngsta Beauty

May 11, 2012
  3. MR__KHAN__JI

MR__KHAN__JI Talented

Sep 5, 2010
    Agreed.

Craziest supporters.

I don't know what's behind it?

The only comparison I can think of is "goldfish"

4. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    I genuinely think a lot of people haven't played cricket or went to school.

Our fans expect instant success and are passionate about players rather than the team.

Our fans want people in u19 to be thrown straight into the team with no first class experience.

Crazy wrist slitters and knee jerkers.

5. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
  6. iAd

iAd Sultan of Swing

Nov 9, 2012
  7. Namak_Halaal

Namak_Halaal Banned

May 12, 2012
    I would say SC supporters are the most fickle, this is because we are the most passionate supporters of the game.