Pakistan T20I squad announced for series against Australia

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Munna, Oct 19, 2018.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Fast bowler Mohammad Amir, who had been dropped for the Test series against Australia, has also been left out of Pakistan's squad for the subsequent three-T20I series, starting October 24 in Abu Dhabi. Left-arm spinning allrounder Imad Wasim, who had been sidelined from the Asia Cup with injury, has returned to the squad.

Amir's recent form in international cricket is far from encouraging: he has gone wicketless in his last five ODIs, and has only taken three wickets since the final of last year's Champions Trophy. Waqas Maqsood, a 30-year-old left-arm seamer from Faisalabad, was called up as a like-for-like replacement for Amir.

Maqsood was rewarded for his impressive performances for Pakistan A against New Zealand A in the three-T20 series. He finished as the second-highest wicket-taker, with five wickets in 10.2 overs at an average of 8.80 and economy rate of 4.25. In all, he has played 19 T20s, taking 20 wickets at an economy rate of 6.58, since his debut in 2011. Earlier this year, Maqsood had been the top wicket-taker in the 50-over Pakistan Cup, claiming 14 wickets in five games for Federal Areas.

Mohammad Nawaz and Haris Sohail, who had been part of the squad for the T20I tri-series in Zimbabwe, made way for Imad and Babar Azam. Opener Sahibzada Farhan, who had bagged a duck on T20I debut against Australia in Harare in July, retained his place in the squad. He is the third opener in the squad behind Fakhar Zaman and Mohammad Hafeez.

T20I squad: Fakhar Zaman, Mohammad Hafeez, Sahibzada Farhan, Babar Azam, Shoaib Malik, Asif Ali, Hussain Talat, Sarfraz Ahmed (capt &wk), Shadab Khan, Shaheen Afridi, Usman Khan, Hasan Ali, Imad Wasim, Waqas Maqsood, Faheem Ashraf

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_...ropped-australia-t20is-too-imad-wasim-returns

2. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    good riddance to bad rubbish. abbas, Fakhar, and even imams failures show us that domestic stats can very much matter, so it is time to give others a chance.

3. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
  4. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    Hmm who is this Waqas guy

5. harsha

harsha Youngsta Beauty

Nov 17, 2013
  6. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    As I said in another thread, I know Waqas Maqsood has performed well, but he's already 30 (unofficially even more) so whats the point of his selection?

7. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
    Let's say he's 32.

What's the harm in trying him out?

Long term planning has never worked with Pakistan anyway.

Have to strike while the iron is hot.

8. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Sorry but bowlers are almost done by their early 30's and it's all curtain in mind 30's.

I rather pick a bowler who's in early 20's or even in mid 20's, because there will be a return on that investment.

At age of 32 there is no point of playing a pacer.

9. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
    Depends on the type of bowler too, an out and out fast bowler obviously would be useless in their 30s - Think Wahab Riaz.

But injuries are much more likely to happen in the 30s, I remember how screwed we were when Irfan got injured in the World Cup 2015.

If Waqas is on merit then he deserves to represent Pakistan for a few games. If he turns out to be a gem, then you can persist with him for a few years till we find a youngster.

It's good to have a few bowlers like these who might come in handy.

We've been focusing on the future since World Cup 2007 and we're more or less at the same stage in LOI.

Have to strike a balance.

10. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    To be honest, I saw him bowling in domestic and he looked like an avg medium pacer. And I am okay to give him few T20's based on his hard work in domestic. But its just that his selection doesnt excites me at all. I would like to see either an U19 or U23 young kid, rather than official (I bet unofficial would be more around 33/34) 30 years old dude.

11. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Deserved to cus he wasnt performing. Will make a comeback for sure. We need Abbas and Amir bowling with the new ball at the World Cup in England!!

12. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Sultan of Swing

Aug 31, 2011
    Waqas Maqsood quality bowler, delighted to see him in the team but angry to not see Junaid Khan there embarrassed Mickey big time I think after the Asia Cup game.

Not surprised seeing Daddies little angel back in the team after playing literally zero T20 games