Pakistan Team Announced For Sri Lanka Tour

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Passionate Pakistani, May 10, 2012.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    ONLY?

2. NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN Talented

Aug 30, 2011
    Tests:

The test squad is the best of the lot I believe, but not many changes from the last test match, which is good. The selections of Mohammad Sami and Faisal Iqbal just baffle me, honestly! Faisal Iqbal is probably the biggest blunder ever, even bigger than the selection of Shoaib Malik [that may be a little hyperbolic]. Mhd. Sami is another selection that I fail to understand - He's been given so many chances yet has failed to captivate, plus he's 30+ which isn't encouraging. But still, let's see how he fairs this time around, IF he is used correctly by the captain he can be lethal.

It is so, so, so, great to see Afaq Raheem's name in that list, literally! This is a well deserved chance for him, a much awaited chance too. I fail to comprehend what a proud moment this must be for him! Being the first cricketer from Azad Kashmir to play for Pakistan. Wow. Just wow. Is a mighty feat this one.

------------------------------
    ODI's:

I don't know really, mixed feelings on the ODI squad. I mean, I'm glad to see the regulars and some new faces - rather; face - inducted too. It's good to see Rahat Ali finally get a chance too, I can't wait to see him play. I hope all these new players that have been given a chance get a game, at least, to show-cause their talent. The rest are regulars of the ODI team, except Farhat and Mohd. Sami, and I don't even really want to comment on them. I just don't understand how Imran Farhat gets in every time, just when you thought you finally got rid of him! Typical. YK still there too, he in such conditions will fare well I think, though he is not a solution for long-term.

The notable absentees from the ODI squad are Junaid Khan and Hammad Azam. I mean, I know Junaid hasn't been doing so well in ODI's recently BUT he has shown that he can do it, all he needs is a proper chance. Then again, this is Pakistan cricket we are talking about, who are renowned for spoiling youngsters careers. Heck, Hammad hasn't even had a drop in form in ODI's! He just simultaneously got dropped for no apparent reason. It's really unfair and he's always been treated unfairly by the PCB, it's sad. We lack an all-rounder in ODI's now. Wahab Riaz has been dropped too, but he had a bad run recently hence not such a surprise.

------------------------------​
    T20's:

Again, mixed feelings about this squad too. Glad to see Ahmed Shehzad making a return, though it's a bit harsh on Awais Zia to drop him like that - let's hope Ahmed Shehzad has improved his attitude and actually performs consistently this time round. Good young additions in the form of: Shakeel Ansar, Yasir Arafat, Raza Hasan and Haris Sohail. They should be given a minimum of a game each to show their potential.

However, saddens me to see Sohail Tanvir return. Such a terrible player tbf. Khalid Latif also, ugly slogger, not even worth a call-up. We have quite a few openers in the T20 squad, don't see the point of it as most likely it will be Mohd. Hafeez and Ahmed Shehzad/Nasir Jamshed opening. I guess there's no harm in trying them though.

------------------------------​

Overall, I feel it's an okay squad for LOI's and probably our best possible in Tests. Some really bad selections and some really good ones too. A good XI can still be made from the given ODI and T20 squad. However, why they have selected Afaq Raheem for tests? Considering ODI's, clearly, is his strongest format, doubt he will get a chance unless of course Hafeez our Taufeeq get injured - but here's hoping he does! Looking forward to the series now to see how the young blood fare.

3. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    I would have preferred Mohammed Yusuf over Faisal Iqbal in test & Farhat in ODI. Specially test it where we will need Mohammed Yusuf most. Remember he is still a better batsman than any one else in whole of Pakistan.

4. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    Markhor I don't think there's much wrong in Khalid Latif being selected. He's been a solid performer for years, a U-19 WC winning captain, has a brilliant conversion rate and withheld the slogs during his brief stint with Pakistan--that 64 he scored v NZ came in an especially stiff situation of 0 for 2, he didn't slog and countered some really fine swing bowling against Bond and Southee. I agree that he's technically ugly but he has a solid temperament and a brilliant domestic conversion rate. Ijaz Ahmed, Abdul Razzaq, Moin Khan have all done well for Pakistan despite technical problems and InshaAllah I think Latif will too Though it may be argued that Faisal Iqbal made a comeback on Karachi bias, I don't think it's fair to pin Latif as a Karachi sifarishi.

I'm unsure on Sami, I know he has the talent and he's performed domestically but he hasn't really shown any improvement in his stints with pakistan, he may fire but he may also backfire. Sohail Tanveer is a similar case. Nice to see Afaq Raheem in

Totally unfair to drop Shafiq & Riaz in particular, to a lesser extent Hammad and Umar Akmal as well from the respective formats. The selection of Yasir Arafat is OK I guess, I'd have expected Mahmood as a superior batsman but Arafat's been a very handy bowling allrounder a long time. The selection of Shakeel Ansar is one of the most ridiculous decisions I've EVER seen

5. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    I also would have preferred yousaf or akmal over faisal.

This is really one pathetic and brainless decission..

6. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    I just got it why faisal is chosen over Umer Akmal or Mohammed Yusuf. It is because the selectors wants to make it easy for Misbah to select Asad Shafiq in test line up. With Umer or Yusuf in squad it might have been difficult for Misbah not to select one of them if Asad failed but now with Faisal on bench Asad can have a easy ride even if he fails few times.

7. Shahid Afridi rulez

Shahid Afridi rulez Talented

Sep 9, 2011
    Well there's only about 2/3, so it really does not matter.

8. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    Oh, Shafiq remains in the one-day squad. Never mind.

Ayub Dogar is a pretty fair choice too, I missed that

9. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Good positive thinking.

I still believe Akmal should be in our test team instead of asad especially at number 6 position,only if akmal can sort out mental aspect of his game.

10. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Surely Akmal must be the second person to be selected after Younis in test team but as you said Akmal needs to work on his mental aspect & may be this kick on his backside will help him to understand it now.

Short term lost for long term again.

11. NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN Talented

Aug 30, 2011
  12. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Thanks for share. Much appreciated.

I think title of this thread can be modified that press conference video is added. Mercenary

13. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Lots of changes to these teams. Some great (Misbah out for t20s) and some not so great (Sami's back)

14. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    And some very great
    Faisal iqbal and Farhat are back.

15. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
  16. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
  17. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    It vindicates my respect for Misbah though. MARD E HAQ, SHER E WATAN

18. NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN Talented

Aug 30, 2011
  19. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Ok this team selection is officially terrible. Does Whatmore know anything about Pak cricket. How can Farhat make it any Pak test team. He's tried, tested and failed

20. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Do i/we care how much do you love him?
    Iam sure you will be able to console sharukh and boomboom :p

21. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Btw Afaq Rahim is from Mirpur AZK, lol so happy

22. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Any specific reason? :p

23. FAIZAN KHAN

FAIZAN KHAN Youngsta Beauty

May 10, 2012
    complete media conference

24. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    yeah because i'm from mirpur too

25. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    I never knew you were a regionalist :p

About time to finish it off with you :p

26. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    To be honest I don't really care where the player comes from. Main thing is they play for Pak. Any ways I didn't know Kashmiri's were allowed to play for Pak. Didn't know they even had a team

27. NO 1 AFRIDI FAN

NO 1 AFRIDI FAN Talented

Aug 30, 2011
    They don't have a team. He went to play for Rawalpindi and ZTB, I'm sure?

28. FAIZAN KHAN

May 10, 2012
  29. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    test squad facepalms:

taufeeq umar n faisal iqbal.

test squad bows:

afaq RAHEEM

odi facepalms:

azhar ali, imran farhat n dropping hammad azam.

odi bows:

rahat ali

t20 facepalms:

yasir arafat n sohail tanvir.

t20 bows:

raza hassan

collective facepalm:

muhammad SAMI

30. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Lol at insaan nay duniya se aana jaana hai bilkul ek kaptaan ki tarah, yeh ek aani jaani cheez hai, yehi qudrat ka qanoon hai. But yes, some very nice words by Ashraf for Misbah, good to hear the gratitude. FAIZAN KHAN, many thanks for the complete media conference.

The professor, shining brightly. Talks well and will be a great deputy to Misbah for tests and ODIs. Wow, what a statement, one of the most disliked players of the past with little support, manages himself back into the team and within a couple of years reaches the captaincy point. Take a bow, sir.

31. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Energy

Hafeez career (his ups and down and struggles) should be like a role model for all domestic players.

32. FAIZAN KHAN

May 10, 2012
    azher ali is good young layer,lets give him atleast a chance.if misbah then why not azher?.he is better player then misbah if we look strike rate!in one match against england he even scored above 100 strike rate.
    but when he gets pressure he starts TUK TUK.
    with experience he will get this hapit away!

33. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Indeed, great example to follow.

34. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    bro misbah has always been a liability but he unfortunately happens to be the odi captain n can't be dropped unless he loses the captain's band.

azhar ali on the other hand is agood player n no denying it but he is too slow for odi's, he plays for himself n thats not acceptable in limited overs cricket, in test cricket he can take his time therefore, he ain't a problem.

there are many better odi players than him tbh.

35. FAIZAN KHAN

May 10, 2012
    yeah if he gets some experience then he will inshaAllah lose this hapit.i saw him playing above 100 s/r but after one or two blows on the other side ,he gets pressure.

36. BoomBoom786

BoomBoom786 Talented

Apr 12, 2010
    Azhar Ali scored 58 in his last ODI

37. CricFanatic

CricFanatic Youngsta Beauty

Oct 11, 2011
  38. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    So the teams get announced...FINALLY!

Not too sure what to say really as it is quite a mix bag that's come forward in terms of selections made for all 3 formats of the game!

Hafeez takes over from Misbah as captain of the T20 side, which was largely expected to happen aswell as becoming his deputy in the other 2 formats of the game.

As for selections for the tour, I'd say the T20 squad looks the most strongest out of the lot secondly close comes the Test squad which is pretty much the same over all apart from a few selections.

Strangely enough the selectors have decided not to go for any all rounders for the ODI squad apart from Hafeez himself and Shahid Afridi.

Now coming to the selections, Imran Farhat back in the ODI line up which really doesn't make much sense Pakistan have seem to have got a pair that seems to be clicking for the time being with the likes of Jamshed and Hafeez but again they once again had to choose him over the likes of some other deserving candidates for the 3rd openers place.

A positive though that has come through has been the selection of Afaq Raheem who's been doing well over the last few years in domestic and finally gets his chance but like some have already said, even I don't seem him playing a test unless some injury occurs and he's drafted into the playing XI. He ideally deserved to be selected for both squads as in Tests and ODI as he does average slightly so better in List A games than FC games.

Hammad Azam finds himself out of the ODI squad after last featuring in the final of the Asia Cup where he scored 30 and bowled 3 overs for 20 odd. Just 8 ODI games, an average of 19 doesn't help but if he doesn't cut in the ODI squad then who does? Yasir Arafat could've been an option as he's been hard done by for sometime now but he doesn't feature in there either.

Mohammad Ayub's inclusion comes rather late at 32, as he has been on the fringes for the past few years but never quite made it to the last team and now I thought was a time for perhaps to keep Umar Akmal around the squad atleast if even he doesn't get to play a test as I strongly still believe he needs to stay away from tests until his head comes to senses that he needs to concentrate more while he bats in that format. Shafiq gets in for me in tests atleast as he has shown promise and can play long innings with the temperament he has shown in the short test career of his so far.

39. Nadeem

Nadeem Emerging Player

Dec 22, 2009
    I have very little faith in our selectors and thats justified by the announcement the squads today. For what reason do we continue to persist with players who have been given ample opportunity to prove themselves, and have continued to fail. Unbelievable.

40. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    Shakeel Ansar coming in the T20 squad as wicket keeper at the age of 33, don't quite know much of his keeping abilities but as Whatmore and Fountain had been at the FBT20 competition, they must've seen something in him to call him up and get him to be behind the stumps in the T20 format. Perhaps someone can shed some light on his keeping and batting abilities those who've seen him in action.

Wahab Riaz is a rather strange case who doesn't find himself in any of the 3 squads. What is the reasoning behind this has the PCB made any statements in regards to not having Wahab in any team for a while now? Would like to hear on this aspect!

Faisal "Bhanja" Iqbal finds himself back in favour in the test squad, not too sure on his selection either as I would've liked someone new to be around the team or if worst comes to worst Umar Akmal should've been ahead of him atleast. Once again I doubt that he'll get a game though despite finding himself a test spot.

Mohammad Sami making a comeback in all formats, now that does say something on how he has impressed the PCB off late to be included in all 3 formats and will be licking his fingers to get back in atleast 1 of the teams to make it to the playing XI.

Sohail Tanvir, what has he done of late to be included in the T20 squad? Can somebody tell me that! :D

With this, I better put an end to my reactions and feedback on the squads announced for the tour of Sri Lanka!

Do feel free, to agree or disagree or by all means contribute to any of my points.