Pakistan v Sri Lanka | 2nd Test (D/N) | Dubai | 06 - 10 Oct, 2017 | Match Thread

Discussion in 'Match Archive' started by chandtara, Oct 6, 2017.

1. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    [​IMG]

“I’m so pleased for Asad Shafiq because he’s worked so hard” – Mickey Arthur. © Getty Images

Mickey Arthur, Pakistan’s head coach, on Monday (October 9) urged Asad Shafiq and Sarfraz Ahmed, his two senior batsmen, to continue their solid stand on the fifth and final day of the second Test against Sri Lanka for a series-levelling win.

Chasing 317 to win, Pakistan recovered from a miserable 52 for 5 as Shafiq (86 not out) and Sarfraz (57 not out) lifted them to 198 without further damage with a fighting 146-run stand. Pakistan need another 119 runs to win the day-night Test.

“Fantastic, it will be a really good session,” said a relieved Arthur, looking ahead to the final day. “These guys double their partnership, we’ll win the game. It’s going to be all to play – I think seven overs to the new ball, so if we can cash in on those seven overs, put a little bit of pressure on Sri Lanka, it could be a good ending.”

The win will also help Pakistan maintain their unbeaten series record in the UAE, having won five and drawn four of the previous nine.

Pakistan failed to chase a modest 136-run target to lose the first Test by 21 runs in Abu Dhabi. But here, the Shafiq-Sarfraz stand has come at the nick of time.

“I say it with a lot of relief that we eventually see the partnership. They’ve both played very, very well. We were saying at tea time it has a bit of a Gabba feel about it, when we chased and Shafiq got 137,” said Arthur, of the day-night Test last December against Australia. Pakistan came close to chasing a 490-run target, failing by just 39.

“It had the same feel. I’m so pleased for Asad Shafiq because he’s worked so hard and we know he’s a quality player and he showed the skills tonight. I thought he was very good. I just hope he can go all the way for us.”

Arthur backed the faltering Babar Azam, who finished the series with scores of 28, 3, 8 and 0. “It’s a bit of a worry. I’ve got a lot of faith in Babar because I think he is a very, very good player. But his white-ball form though needs to start transforming into his Test form.

“He has had a very slow start to his Test career, for a player of his ability. I’m still confident that he will come through and that he will be a very good player for Pakistan going forward. We’ve just got to guide him through as best we can. ”

[​IMG]
    Mickey Arthur backed the faltering Babar Azam, who finished the series with scores of 28, 3, 8 and 0. © AFP

Arthur candidly accepted that the reshuffled batting order in the wake of the retirements of Younis Khan and Misbah-ul-Haq had left him worried. “It’s kept me awake at night, to be honest, I’ve spoken to a few people about it. It’s tough – I thought we had it nailed, I’ve got to be honest with you. I was comfortable that we had the right combinations.

“I was comfortable that we had enough left-hand, right-hand combinations. I thought we had the next best batsmen available in Pakistan playing for us. I’ll be honest, I’m not a 100% sure now.

“And before we tour again and before we go to England, we’ve got a long break now. We’re going to have to sit down and really apply our minds and have a look again as to what we think is our best top-six going forward.”
    Asked whether Shafiq was more comfortable batting down at five or six, Arthur replied: “It’s still too early to say. I would’ve loved Asad to be playing the innings he is from No. 4 because that just solves the problem for us. With him going down to five, we just thought with Haris (Sohail) playing so well, another left-hander in the middle, we thought it was a no-brainer for us sending him at 4.

“Again, it throws up another conundrum for us because he’s playing so well at five. Is that his right position? I’m not so sure. We’re going to have to really apply our minds going forward with what our right top-six is.”

On Shan Masood, who hasn’t contributed much, Arthur said the opener needed consistent chances. “In terms of rationale, one of the things always pointed out about Pakistan cricket is that there hasn’t been any continuity. We’ve tried to get continuity with our players, albeit the right decision or the wrong decision.

“Pakistan cricket is synonymous with dropping players, bringing them back, dropping them again, bringing them back again. We want to give guys an opportunity and then we can make a proper decision on it. Now whether that proper opportunity ends now, or we reconsider it, I can’t say. But at least the player that gets a run in the team will feel that he’s had a go and that’s what we’re trying to create.

“Has our opening partnership worked for us in this series? It probably hasn’t but that is something we’ll discuss going forward and try and get the best option. The easy option would be Azhar (Ali) going back up, that then opens another position at 3. At the moment, we’ve got a lot of soul-searching to do.”

Arthur once again backed the three seamers plus one spinner policy. “The reason behind it is we just thought it was our best possible attack to win us the game, whether that was right or wrong, it’s something I need to get my head around. I’ve come from and coached in places where pace dominates and pace wins games. I’ve got to get my thinking around that these are totally different conditions.

“Whether we like it or not, our attack has done a job. We should’ve chased down 136 in Abu Dhabi. Without a doubt. And then we would’ve said the attack has done its job

http://www.wisdenindia.com/cricket-news/arthur-targets-seven-overs-to-new-ball/272991

2. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
  3. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Only 95 more runs needed now

4. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
  5. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Asad Shafiq reaches 100... what a knock by him!

6. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Perera to Asad Shafiq, no run, dropped? Carried? 54 mph, flight outside off, Dilruwan has continually been getting drift this afternoon, this one goes on with the arm, takes the edge, and goes low to Karunaratne at slip. He gets forward, but the ball slips out

7. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    almost another chance at leg gully! The batsman tucked the ball away, but don't think there was bat on it. Off the thigh pad and landed on the volley to the man at leg gully. But there was excitement

8. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Excellent ton by Feeqa

9. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    These two should try and finish the game. Bat till end.

10. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    OUT! Sarfaraz

Big breakthrough by SL.

11. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    SL are favorites again.

12. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Amir needs to attack rather then defend

13. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    No No Nooooo!!!!!!!

14. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Sarfaraz ye kia kiya!

15. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Still 92 required...Tail need to show some grit

16. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Sarfaraz ne Dhoka de diya

17. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Man, these 92 runs still look far away at this time.

18. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    It won't be once a few boundaries are hit.

19. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
  20. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    Sarfraz just threw it away

21. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
  22. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
  23. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    They've taken the new ball

24. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
  25. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
  26. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    New ball is a double edged sword. Can give u wickets but also runs will come to

27. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    Play sensibly

28. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
  29. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
  30. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    OUT! Amir

SL needs just 3 wickets now. Firm favorites.

31. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Amir chawal gone as well

32. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
    Well done Pakistan

33. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    EIGHTY SEVEN RUNS MORE TO SCORE

34. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Perera the destroyer

35. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Just need one of these tailenders to stick around...

36. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Gamage to Asad Shafiq, no run, 126 kph, another one. And is that the game? Pakistan review again. Gamage strikes. It's a nippy inswinger that swings in prodigiously, in the air and then off the pitch too. It has come back from well outside off and struck Shafiq in front of middle, like a ripping offbreak. So much swing that the ball misses the leg stump and Pakistan stay alive.

37. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010
  38. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
  39. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
  40. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014