Pakistan vs South Africa | 2nd Test | Rawalpindi | 4th to 8th Feb

Discussion in 'Match Archive' started by TalhaSyed, Feb 2, 2021.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. TalhaSyed

TalhaSyed Youngsta Beauty

Mar 12, 2018
    The 2nd Test is only a couple of days away.

A good strong performance by the team in Karachi Alhumdullilah. Would you make any changes to the playing XI?

Do you keep Hassan in the starting XI?

Current odds suggest a 53% chance for a Pakistani win, 30% chance of SA win and 17% chance of a draw.

How do you see the sides stacking up?

2. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Expecting a big one from Babar in this test.

Pindi wicket likely to have more assistance for the seamers than Karachi. Also stats indicate batting first is not such a big advantage in Pindi - perhaps the ball does a bit on day 1?

3. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    I think this will be much closer. I see a South Africa win coming up.
    1. Pakistan won't have the hunger now to win, this team is mentally weak. Satisfied after 1 win.
    2. Spinners won't benefit as much from this wicket whilst pacers will. Disadvantage Pakistan, advantage South Africa.
    3. South Africa will have the hunger

4. thair9999

thair9999 Emerging Player

Oct 17, 2010
    They are keeping the same team. I thought additional fast bowler will be more beneficial on Rawalpindi's pitch.

5. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Anda for Azhar Ali LOL

6. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Premeditated forward defence every ball....eventually you will miss the line and get out

7. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    These openers really are pathetic. No runs in them at all

8. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Yep. Ridiculous. Not anywhere near test class.

9. TalhaSyed

Mar 12, 2018
    Great fight back by Babar and Fawad.

Should look to score at least 300 in the first innings.

Batting last on this wicket could be tricky - specially against the spinners such as Yasir Shah and Nauman Ali.

Between Babar, Fawad, Rizwan, Faheem and a relatively strong-ish tail Pakistan still have a fair bit of batting to come in this innings. Lets hope they can deliver.

10. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Great fight back by really poor stuff from ground staff. Little bit of rain and we lose an entire session.

11. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Not surprised. They don't have a clue about how to manage cricket grounds. No international cricket for 10 years meant these guys have been left so far behind. They need to invest in these grounds a lot now

12. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Agreed - good drainage and super soaker type equipment will be a good investment.

It is a shame because Babar and Fawad were looking great out there and were well set. Rain came at the wrong time.

13. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Yes really is a shame. Quite often players fail to kick on following stumps. Babar could easily have got the hundred today

14. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Good thing is I'm off tomorrow so should get to see them bat now

15. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    The two openers are very mediocre.

Enough of Abid Ali. This was a perfect opportunity to try another newbie.

16. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Yeah hopefully this will be the end of Abid Ali's association with test cricket.

Though he may end up getting a score in the 2nd innings and cementing his place for the next series, i think it is clear he really just doesn't cut it.

17. thair9999

Oct 17, 2010
    Only 9 test for Abid and we ready to drop him???? Give him bit more time......

18. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Abid is not good enough. The search continues.

Imran doesn't look good either.

Babar is average. Temperament not doing his skill any justice. He keeps throwing it away.

19. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Faheem needs a century. Now or never. This purple patch won't last forever. Already seen him nearly drag on multiple times. 300+ is a must here

20. TalhaSyed

Mar 12, 2018
    Good knock by Faheem.

I didn't understand why he wasn't protecting the tail-enders.

Having Nauman face full overs was bound to fail.

Excellent over before tea by Hassan to pick up great wickets. The ball that nipped back to van der Dussen was amazing

21. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Agreed all round Talha.

Let's hope we can have them 5 or 6 down at close.

22. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Banned

Apr 16, 2010
    Pakistan already put too much on the board.
    272 is too much for this SA batting line on these spinning tracks.
    Sometimes I feel that SA is lacking the spark and lacking interest in playing these two games in Pak.

And rightly so, with this much security, no crowds, fake sounds to mimic crowds applaud and the captain being told that you will be removed after this tournament.

I wanted Pakistan to get all out at 180ish so that it could turn into a good fighting contest.

Looks to be a one sided game in Pakistan’s favor unless SA could score 270ish which perhaps won’t happen.

23. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    I think Pakistan will lose this test match unless Rizwan plays a blinder here... Even, if Rizwan does play a blinder here even then, it will be a very close game in that case and SA can chase down 270 too as pitch is getting slowed down with time...

24. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Close game now. Pakistan not going to add much to the score as tail has done all its scoring for the series.

South Africa just need 1 batsman to play a sensible innings and they can chase anything less than 280.

25. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    To chase down 270, first of all they will need a 80+ run stand from openers, then one of them to go on and get another 90 run partnership with Van Dussen... and then Faf, Bavuma, De Kock and lower order to finish it...

26. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Will be a close game imo.. 3 wkt win for South Africa imo.. Rizwan will get a good score with the tail imo...

27. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    They will atleast need top 4 to get 40+ and then middle order and lower middle order to finish the target...

28. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Entertaining metch at least. SA are slight favourites at this stage.

29. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Are you watching the game? Pitch is getting harder to bat.

We probably have enough already.

30. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    Pakistan should declare right now, if we want to see any contest between the two teams.

200 leads is already enormous to pin down this weak, uninterested and sparkles SA team.

31. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Bhai baarish ki waja se pitch spice up hogayee thi... Now, it will slowly get dry and easier to bat imo when South Africa come out to bat and Pakistan will have to work hard for wickets... everything will depend on Yasir Shah but as the pitch will be slow, it will be difficult for even Yasir Shah to pick wickets on this pitch,...

32. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Dont underestimate South Africa.. Safrica will come back hard on us when they come out to bat as they have seen everything we have to offer by now and now, they know whats coming,.,. pitch is also getting easier to bat as it is getting dry with sun on it...

33. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    yeah right !

This was one heckuva boring and one sided series between the two batting lines that are worse than Somalia.

200 lead on the board means 1000 runs in real terms for this SA team.

34. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Babar Azam has been quite average. These are the series where guys like Younis, Yousuf, Miandad, Inzi used to score centuries. Babar is doing a good job keeping himself out of the top 4. If it's not a genuine wicket he will get himself out. He isn't type of batsman who makes 180+ and then gets himself out. Making 70 and then messing up when the team needs you disappointed me. Hopefully he can wake up. Because whenever Babar is needed he messes up. He'll perform when Pakistan are out of the game or when Pakistan is wining but hardly does anything when it's needed.

What's with guys like Azhar, Babar and Shafiq???

Luckily we have an easy 2 years or 14 Tests till WC so hopefully he can get some centuries against Bangladesh, SL, WI, Zimbabwe, Australia and England at home. Otherwise it's painful to see. I'm one of his biggest fan and it completely ruins my day but he always does this. So many people back him and then he fails against the good teams. It's embarrassing. He's not even new anymore. He had his bad patch and that was supposed to be over. He's captain now. No more room for this. I expect this from Azhar because he's on decline but Babar should be scoring heavily.

If his strokes are causing his decline I suggest he put them away.

Babar is a 50 average batsman. In this era against these attacks minus india he should average 50. No excuse.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  35. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Very disappointed by his batting too. I think it is sinking in now that he's not going to become the great player we thought he would. He makes attractive looking runs but never really has a big impact innings. He gets out to lazy shots too often rather than good balls. This is the most concerning thing as it shows his temperament isn't right.

He isn't destined to be a Ponting type batsman, more of a Ross Taylor.

36. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    I wonder if Hassan Ali can make any runs tomorrow. He's been smashing it in domestics but looks out of sorts in internationals

37. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Check the stats....Inzi & Yousuf did jack vs SA..zero centuries. Miandad did not even face SA. Babar has a better average than both of them vs SA.

38. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    Generally I was referring to like for like. If you are among our top 5 batsman ever you should be scoring against all teams in Pakistan unless you come up against ATG attack which only India have at the moment to an extent Australia and England can be decent but they can be neutralised easily on these pitches that are good for batting.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  39. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    I didn't watch Damien Martyn but Babar gives his vibes. Ross Taylor is simply more attacking than Babar and imho doesn't have the same talent Babar has.

40. thair9999

Oct 17, 2010
    Baber missed couple innings and we are almost ready to kill him. No batsman can score centuries in every match.