Pakistan whitewash World T20 champions in one-sided series

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Ahson8, Sep 27, 2016.

Pakistan whitewash World T20 champions in one-sided series

by Ahson Afzal
Sep 27, 2016 at 7:54 PM
  1. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    pakistan-t20-whitewash-ar.png

After winning his first match as T20 captain vs England, Sarfraz's next challenge was to take on the world champions West Indies.

What on paper sounded a mouth watering prospect turned out to be a one-sided contest, with Pakistan whitewashing the world champions 3-0, as West Indies after having sacked Darren Sammy from the captaincy decided to sack their coach on the eve of their departure to Dubai.

The West Indies squad, already deprived of big names like Gayle, Sammy and Simmons received another jolt when Andre Russell withdrew from the squad based on personal reasons.

Having said that, credit should also be given to Pakistan, and Sarfraz's captaincy. Sarfraz managed his bowlers well throughout the series and the bowlers also bowled well, bowling with accuracy and not allowing the West Indies batsmen to attack them.

One bowler who especially deserves a shoutout is Imad Wasim. The left arm spinner, who opened the bowling in all 3 games, ended up as leading wicket taker with 9 wickets to his name, including a 5 wicket haul in the first game, becoming the first Pakistani spinner to do so in a T20I. Sohail Tanvir also impressed, especially in the second game where he picked up 3/13, and Rumman Raees made an economical start to his T20I career in the 3rd T20I.

Pakistan's batsmen also enjoyed success throughout the series. Babar Azam hit his maiden T20I fifty in the first game, while Sarfraz Ahmed hit an unbeaten 46* in the second game to claim the man of the match award. Shoaib Malik also scored an impressive 37 in the second T20I and followed it up with a 43* in the third T20I to see Pakistan home and complete the series whitewash, and Khalid Latif also contributed throughout the series with scores of 34*, 40 & 21.

Despite a fantastic series of Pakistan, there is still room for further improvement. The negatives from a Pakistani point of view were the death bowling in the second game where Hasan and Wahab were expensive against the West Indies tailenders, Sharjeel Khan's form (low scores of 22, 2 & 11) and Umar Akmal's annoying dab celebrations and these are the areas Pakistan will look to improve in the future.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2016
The author is a medical student and an avid fan of Pakistan cricket.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments