Pakistan's fast-bowling factory: a gift that keeps on giving

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by chandtara, Mar 5, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Hasnain, Haris Rauf future stars of Pakistan: Alan Wilkins

ABU DHABI: Former county cricketer and renowned commentator Alan Wilkins have said that the Pakistan Super League is a top quality league and everyone talks high of the bowling standards in the Pakistan Super League.

Talking to Geo in Abu Dhabi, the former Glamorgan Cricketer praised Lahore Qalandars player development program and termed it a guide for other franchises to work for the development of young talent.

“Every year it tells us how strong it is,” Wilkins said when asked about how far the league has come since its inception.

“When you talk to some of the batsmen, especially the overseas batsmen who have come here, each and everyone has talked about the quality and the depth of the bowling,” the 65-year-old cricket commentator said.

“It’s very instructional to me that this is a very high-quality league. The bowling, the strength in bowling depth in each of the franchises,” he said

Talking about how the fourth edition has provided young talent to Pakistan, Wilkins names two fast bowlers Hasnain and Haris Rauf as a future prospect.

“This year, we have unearthed two fast bowlers, Mohammad Hasnain for Quetta Gladiators and Haris Rauf for Lahore Qalandars and they are to me the two stars of the future. And, if each year out of the emerging player's bracket we can do that (bringing new talent) it’s a great plus for the PSL,” Alan Wilkins said.

He also praised the player development program by Lahore Qalandars and said that such programs can help Pakistan bring all the talented players to the limelight.

“I think Lahore Qalandars development program is fantastic. I have spoken to Rana family about it, I have seen videos of it, I think it’s exceptional. I think if all franchises can follow that as a template for developing talent in Pakistan then you can just fill the cupboard full of enterprising young players,” he said.

He also highlighted how sharing a dressing room with legends of the game is helping youngsters grow and learn and its a plus for the league.

“In any walk of life if you work alongside somebody who has got a great reputation, who’s already qualified and done something special it absolutely rubs off on you. For young Cricketers to mix with some of these greats like Shan Watson or AB de Villiers it’s going to give lots of plus,” the renowned commentator said.

Wilkins, who has played an important role in making PSL games exciting with his voice and analysis from the commentary box, said that he’s looking forward to visiting Pakistan once again.

“I had a great time last year in Karachi and Lahore, unfortunately, it’s not Lahore this time but Karachi it is. I’m very much looking forward to it. The tournament will gain the momentum by having the last stretch of the tournament and playoffs in Pakistan. It’s going to be fantastic,” he concluded.

https://www.geo.tv/psl/latest/230018-hasnain-haris-rauf-future-stars-of-pakistan-alan-wilkins

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  2. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Ramiz Raja impressed by young pacers

Former Pakistan captain Ramiz Raja has been impressed by young fast-bowlers, playing in the ongoing Habib Bank Limited (HBL) Pakistan Super League (PSL).

While sharing his views on his official YouTube channel, Raja named three pacers, Mohammad Hasnain, Haris Rauf and Mohammad Ilyas, who have a bright future ahead of them.

“We have seen some very talented fast-bowlers, who can serve the country in the future,” said Raja — who represented Pakistan in 57 Test and 198 One-Day Internationals (ODIs).

Speaking about Quetta Gladiators pacer Mohammad Hasnain, Raja said he has a great action but he can improve even further, if he gets proper guidance.

“Among them is 18-year-old Hasnain from Hyderabad who bowled a delivery clocked at 151 kph. His average speed is 145 to 147 kph,” said the 56-year-old. “His action is great, but it needs to be refined. He had stayed away from cricket for almost one and a half year due to a serious injury which he suffered due to his bowling action.”

He added: “His action is so stressful that puts extra pressure on his back. So I want his franchise and Pakistan cricket team’s think-tank to guide him properly, similar to what they did with Shaheen Shah Afridi. Afridi’s workload was handled quite nicely. His utilisation was also very accurate. They didn’t do anything in a hurry. So I think if Hasnain will be treated and cared in the same manner, he will be one of the bright prospects for Pakistan cricket.”

The former right-handed batsman was also impressed with Lahore Qalandars star pacer Harif Rauf, who has been one of the best fast-bowlers of the tournament so far.

“The other bowler I have in mind is Haris Rauf who bowls with pace and great yorkers. He also gets the ball to reverse swing due to his action,” he said.

Raja is also closely monitoring Peshawar-born Mohammad Ilyas, who is representing Multan Sultans.

“Ilyas is another fine prospect of this year’s PSL with a strong temperament,” he said. “His pace will improve as he plays more games.”

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/news/detail/psl4-ramiz-raja-impressed-by-young-pacers

3. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    I genuinely think one of Musa or Rauf should be in the WC squad (play them both in upcoming ODI series' for a place in the main squad). We know Shinwari is a mental mess and Junaid is not the same bowler. One of the 2 youngsters could be our unknown WC Xfactor.

4. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    Both should only play international T20 cricket for now, if they are considered. They dont deserve to be selected in the ODI and Test formats yet, as we have no idea. Both should play FC and List A first.

5. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    I like Musa more, his action is so stylish.

6. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    His action is like Mashrafe.

7. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Pakistan's fast-bowling factory: a gift that keeps on giving

The Pakistan Super League has shot to fame not only for its high-quality cricket and star-studded power but, more importantly, as a platform for young talent to shine through and make a case for their selection in the national team.

The 2016 edition gave us Mohammad Nawaz; the 2017 tournament gave us Shadab Khan, Hasan Ali, Fakhar Zaman, Faheem Ashraf and Rumman Raees; 2018 brought forward Shaheen Shah Afridi, Asif Ali and Hussain Talat – the talent had mostly been a mix of fast bowling, spin, and batting.

But the ongoing PSL stands out for the sheer raw pace of rising stars who have stolen the limelight with their searing speeds, living true to Pakistan’s untiring reputation as a fast-bowling factory that keeps on giving.

Here are five speedsters who have caught our attention:

Mohammad Hasnain
    [​IMG]

Quetta Gladiators’ rookie pacer Mohammad Hasnain has delivered the fastest ball of this PSL so far, sending the speed gun buzzing at 150.52kph.

The 18-year old from Hyderabad caught everyone’s attention with his fiery spell of 1-29 on his PSL debut, clocking consistently at over 140kph before finally breaking the 150kph barrier in his later match.

Hasnain, who has represented Pakistan in the Under-19 team, has five wickets from four matches he has played in this PSL so far, with his best figures of 2-32 coming against Islamabad United on March 5 in Abu Dhabi. He has an economy of 7.18.

Haris Rauf
    [​IMG]

A find of the Lahore Qalandars’ player development programme, Haris Rauf turned heads with his match-winning spell of 4-23 against Karachi Kings on February 16 in Dubai.

The victory was an emotional one for Rauf, who was raised on tape-ball games but was snapped up by Lahore Qalandars at its talent hunt trials when he bowled 148kph in the nets.

The 25-year old from Rawalpindi is the fourth joint-highest wicket-taker this PSL with 11 scalps from eight matches at an impressive economy of 6.82.

Also read: Hasnain, Haris Rauf future stars of Pakistan, says Alan Wilkins

His 149kph delivery is the tournament’s second-fastest. A bit of tweak to his technique and it’s only a matter of time when he crosses over the 150kph barrier.

Mohammad Musa
    [​IMG]

Islamabad United's 18-year-old Muhammad Musa proved himself as the X-factor in the February 22 match against Peshawar Zalmi, when he bagged a sensational 3-23 to take his team to a 12-run win against Peshawar Zalmi in Sharjah.

Also once a part of Pakistan U-19 team, Musa clocked in at 147kph to become the third-fastest young pacer in this PSL. He has five wickets from four matches at an economy of 8.50.

Ali Shafiq
    [​IMG]

Paceman Ali Shafiq impressed in his very first PSL match, bagging the Player of the Match award for his 2-11 figures against Islamabad United at a mind-blowing economy of 2.75.

Although the 22-year old has only played two matches, he has already made his name in the crop of rising fast bowlers from this PSL with his 142kph speed. In all, he took two wickets from the two matches at a brilliant economy of 3.52.

Mohammad Ilyas
    [​IMG]

Another teen, 19-year old Mohammad Ilyas of Multan Sultans has made his mark by clocking up speeds around 137kph and with his ability to swing the ball.

Ilyas, who impressed for Pakistan in the Emerging Asia Cup with a hat-trick last year, has eight wickets from seven PSL matches so far, at an economy of 8.05.

Also read: Teen bowler Ilyas says playing with heroes Shahid Afridi, Shoaib Malik a life-changing opportunity

His best performance of 3-27 against Karachi Kings wasn’t enough to win Multan Sultans the match, but he told the world he’s one to look out for when he removed Babar Azam, Colin Munro and Mohammad Rizwan while conceding only 27 runs.

https://www.geo.tv/psl/latest/230230-pakistans-fast-bowling-factory-a-gift-that-keeps-on-giving

8. Mo Iqbal

Mo Iqbal Youngsta Beauty

Dec 27, 2013
    Were are the emerging batsmen

Pakistan has always produced the Wasim, Waqar, Amir etc.

When are we going to produce a Miandad or Anwar.

More emphasis should go on finding good young batsmen otherwise the torture of seeing the likes of Malik & Hafeez still playing will never end.