PCB Chairman confirms Sarfaraz Ahmed to continue as Pakistan captain till 2019 World Cup

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Munna, Feb 5, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    • PCB Chairman Ehsan Mani confirms Sarfaraz to continue till the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019
    • “I am delighted that the PCB has reassured its confidence and faith in me. It has boosted my confidence tremendously,” says Sarfaraz

Lahore, 5 February 2019: The Pakistan Cricket Board today confirmed Sarfaraz Ahmed will remain the Pakistan men’s captain till the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019, which will be staged in England and Wales from 30 May to 14 July.

“I am happy to confirm that Sarfaraz will remain Pakistan captain till the World Cup. I was always clear in my mind that Sarfaraz would be the captain. I was keen to speak with him on the team’s recent performances as part of the normal review and appraisal process, and, more importantly, about his own future plans as we all know he has undergone some tough times as a professional cricketer in the past few weeks.

“Sarfaraz has reiterated his commitment to the Pakistan cricket team as well as his availability and enthusiasm to captain the team at the World Cup,” Mr Mani said.

“Sarfaraz has been an integral part of the Pakistan cricket team’s World Cup preparations and has proved to be a good strategist, leader and performer.

“He led Pakistan to the ICC Champions Trophy 2017 title as well as to the top of the ICC Twenty20 International rankings. His achievements and contributions as a captain and as a valuable all-round cricketer cannot be undermined or overlooked because of the team’s recent Test results.

“I am confident he will continue the good work with Mickey Arthur and Inzamam-ul-Haq so that the team is in the best possible shape and form to produce strong performances at the World Cup,” Mr Mani concluded.

[​IMG]

Sarfaraz Ahmed said: “I feel humbled and honoured to be placed in the same bracket as some of the most iconic and legendary cricketers who have previously captained Pakistan at World Cups. It is the dream of any international cricketer to play in a World Cup, but to be appointed captain in the biggest cricket spectacle on the planet is something that is extremely special.

“The reality is that the last few weeks have been extremely difficult for me as a person and professional. But I am delighted that the PCB has reassured its confidence and faith in me. It has boosted my confidence tremendously.

“I am convinced we are in a good shape for the World Cup. We have top quality talent and match-winners with a committed support staff in the dressing room. Everyone is geared up and keenly looking forward to returning to the country where we won the last major ICC tournament.

“In the lead up to the World Cup, Pakistan will play five ODIs each against Australia and England, which will also allow us the opportunity to further fine-tune our preparations. I am sure we’ll give a good account of ourselves at the World Cup.”

Since making his debut against India in Jaipur in November 2007, Sarfaraz, 31, has played in 101 One-Day Internationals, including 35 as captain. He has scored 1,942 runs at just under 33 and has dismissed 121 batsmen behind the wickets. As captain, he has won 21 matches.

Sarfaraz played three matches in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015, finishing with 160 runs as an opener. He also caught six batsmen at the wicket.

https://www.pcb.com.pk/press-release-detail/sarfaraz-ahmed-to-continue-as-pakistan-captain.html

2. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Expected formality. Wish Sarfraz and the team a successful WC.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    It's coming home lads.

4. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    10 years after Pak won the WC at Lords, history will repeat itself in 2019.

5. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Sense prevails

6. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Poor decision and he even does not warrant a place in the playing XI. And I thought Mani was a better chairman than his predecessors.

7. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Mark my words. Whoever is applauding this decision will be asking for Sarfaraz's head during the WC.

8. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    Sarfraz' main problem is his own performance and tbf there is no one who is substantially better than him so there's no point having anybody else as keeper and as captain.

9. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Maybe a right decision but I would have preferred Shoaib Malik as Captain for his calmness was a relief for me and players although they did not perform under him as well as they should have but players were also relieved that shouting dog Sarfraz was away from their back for some time!!

10. Energy

Energy Whispering Death

Apr 22, 2012
    Chalo. At least this mystery is put to rest.

11. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    Nothing is impossible in Pakistan Cricket lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

12. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    ur prediction for wc?

13. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    England or India.

They are miles ahead of all other teams.

14. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    will pak reach semi? yes india and eng r fav on paper.

15. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    We will need luck for that and expect other results to go in our favour because on paper we are not a top 4 team in odis. England, India, Nz and Aus/SA will be the favts.

Australia will be the dark horse this time as ppl arent rating them but they still have a strong odi side with likes of Finch, Warner,Smith,Head,Stoinis,Starc,Cummins etc all are match winners.

And SA will go into an icc tournament without favourite tag which should help them but they have an average odi team.

16. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    luck always plays a vital part. If we can gather some momentum and confidence who knows. SF is also a KO game where one performance can win u the game.

17. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Only easy game for us will be against Afghanistan and maybe SL. The rest are all tough games for Pakistan.

18. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    I'm looking forward to India v Pak at Old Trafford.

A Sunday. Sunny Summer day. Ramadan over. Eid over. Will be a some war in Manchester.

19. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    If you are going to watch it don't forget your gun at home.

20. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Lol, not going to the ground to watch it but will be a crazy game. I dearly hope we are able to finally beat India in a WC game.

21. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    As expected. Too late now to make a change now. But Pakistan should definitely hit the reset button after the WC.

22. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Tracer Bullet

May 22, 2012
    Unless we win. Which we will.

23. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Tracer Bullet

May 22, 2012
    @Inswinger you heard it here first - Pakistan is going to win the WC.

24. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Tracer Bullet

May 22, 2012
    Hindsight is always 20/20. Any intelligent and reasonable cricket fan knows that changing a captain 4 months prior to a WC is not a good idea.

Given how Rizwan has performed, it's clear Sarfraz is a better batsman and keeper than him, despite how awful both are. Sarfraz has tournament experience and hopefully his awful patch will end.

25. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    Absolutely!

26. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    Pakistan has just 10 ODIs and the PSL left before the World Cup. Sarfraz being a captain of a team in the PSL needs to take advantage and bat at #4 to regain form. His best days are when he bats in the top 4. Malik and Hafeez can bat at 5 and 6.

27. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    It's not hindsight as the WC is still to take place.

28. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Tracer Bullet

May 22, 2012
    For someone with 60K posts, you sure have awful reading comprehension ability.

29. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    If Sarfraz was to be removed as captain it should have happened after the dismal Asia Cup. That was over 4 months ago and would have given the new captain plenty of matches to get settled.

30. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Please go over my post again which you quoted in the first place and try to understand what I said. And don't act like you are some Professor here. Thanks

31. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    I agree. But having a non performing Captain is also not an ideal position to go into such a big tournament.

32. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Tracer Bullet

May 22, 2012
    I'm not acting like some professor - you simply didn't bother to understand my post and instead preferred making a smart comment.

By saying "hindsight is 20/20" is obviously pointing to the fact IF Sarfraz fails in the WC, then we will all be beating our heads. But we don't have to considering that he is the only choice right now and it makes no sense to change captains.

33. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Youngsta Beauty

Apr 16, 2010
    IMO, Afghanies have better and a much stronger fighting back spirit. They are not aware of any concept of fear of any kind.
    They don't give a crap about firming their spot in the team by playing selfish innings, they are not afraid of defeat - matter of fact, they don't even think of defeat. They prefer to "die while doing" instead of going on the back-foot at any stage of the game.

Every player is ready to fight for team's victory.

Match against Afghanistan could be 50/50 instead of being an "easy one". Their bowling is not bad, and our batting is traditionally very weak.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  34. Del

Del Whispering Death

Dec 21, 2016
    Good move, there is no point in changing captain atm.

35. Del

Del Whispering Death

Dec 21, 2016
    So who should replace him as keeper?

36. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    I am not aware of the domestic circuit too much. But Pakistan still have 10 ODIs before the WC and can throw someone else apart from Sarfaraz and Rizwan as a keeper.

37. Del

Del Whispering Death

Dec 21, 2016
    Yes, we have Umair Masood & Rohail Nazir, but both are not ready. No wicket-keeper can be ready in just 10 games. Its a longer process.

38. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Lool India have keepers who average 50-60 and no Indian fans say anything about them here we have guys averaging 15 and lol, Pant averaged 55 that’s why he is proving successful, Pak only has Rizwan in the shed and even he looks at sea despite mid forties average in domestic.

39. Del

Del Whispering Death

Dec 21, 2016
    Which highlights the failure of our rotten downright pathetic domestic system, wherein you look like Virat, but when play Intl game, then it becomes incredibility difficult to say if as viewer you are watching highlights of their old game or looking at live match.

40. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    He plays spin well in domestic. Don’t know who tied his laces maybe tied both shoes together, lol, worst batsman ever are from Pakistan, can’t block in Tests, can’t rotate strike in ODIs, can’t hit shots in T20s, useless. Indian bowlers are better batsman then our batsman.