PCB turns down Pakistan players request to play full county season

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Aug 3, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    he Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has turned down the request of several Pakistan players to play the entire English county season.

Top-order batsmen Babar Azam, Fakhar Zaman, all-rounders Faheem Ashraf, Imad Wasim and pacer Mohammad Amir are currently participating in the Vitality T20 Blast, whereas opener Azhar Ali and pacer Mohammad Abbas are playing the County Championship in England.

According to reports, several Pakistan players had requested the PCB to allow them to play the entire season.

However, the board has decided against the request as they want the players to return to Pakistan by early September and take part in the domestic matches.

Pakistan domestic season is expected to begin from September 12, whereas the Vitality T20 Blast finals day is scheduled for September 21.

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/n...an-players-request-to-play-full-county-season

2. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    good. at least they are showing some intent to make the new domestic structure, work.

3. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Is the new structure starting from this September?

4. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    September 12.

5. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Nice.

Looking forward to following it this year.

Have the teams been decided yet?

6. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    I hope the 6 captains aren't something like: K.Akmal, S. Butt, M. Sami...

7. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    No not yet. Teams will be selected through a draft process. Basically a province will have 32 contracted players but will announce a squad of 16 but someone who is in the second 11 can still play FC if they are needed or performing well.

Captains I think will be younger but as players alone guys like Sami, Gul, Kamran Akmal, Butt, Asif Zakir, Akbar ur Rehman and Mohammed Asif should still play imo.

8. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    I agree. Really hope Asif gets a contract. Need these players to play against world class players. Hopefully he's still got it and will test the batsmen properly. Looking forward to the season now.

9. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    IMO, playing county cricket is THE BEST way for young and emerging Pak players to transition from a very poor domestic cricket standard into the international arena.

Imran Khan, Wasim, Waqar and many other Pak crickters were greatly nurtured by playing county cricket. I think it's better to play county cricket than those stupid T20 tamasha leagues.

10. Mohammed Bilal

Jul 17, 2017
    No one is playing county apart from Azhar and Abbas. Azhar is not getting better and Abbas already knows how to bowl in them conditions. The younger guys are playing the blast and then Euro T20 league. Babar plays one game in August and he'll be able to play it.

12th September our FC starts and on 23rd September County championship is over. I think our new system will be more competitive then county cricket. Our FC sucks because we had 16 teams. This meant that the mediocre kids could play because they camouflaged in. Now the best players will be playing. BTW I was looking at Shield stats of batsman and noticed the stats of batsman were bang on average. 19 guys average 35 or above. Most of them have played Tests recently for Australia. They only have Will Pucovski, Kurtis Patterson and some other young keeper who average above 40. The others include Shaun Marsh, Wade and Joe Burns.

The next step really is to send players on A tours. We also need to get them high performance centres right. In Pakistan they like to use different methods as compared to the rest of the World. In the 80s you can understand but now you have advanced technology in bowling machines and swing balls and what not. I have seen only one bowling machine in NCA. I used to play club cricke, our city is in a minor county. our club doesn't even play Cheshire league yet we had 4 turf nets and two expensive bowling machines. Whether it's Sarfraz or Asad Shafiq they go on a dead used cement pitch and go ask a guy to give them throw downs. This is why Nick Knight played 100 mph so easily. Why do Pakistani batsman start jumping around at 145? Why do they have so much problem against short ball? Shan Masood did well in SA because he has his own bowling machine. Half an hour against outswingers and inswingers at 95 mph every day would make you battle hardened. PCB need to invest in bowling machines. Each new province should have atleast 3 in the high performance centre.

I don't think it'll be that difficult the to get guys like Babar Azam, Haris Sohail, Shan Masood, Asad Shafiq, Imam or Fakhar playing in Australia and England.

11. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    you are right.

but right now they are experimenting a new domestic structure and i think its important that the player participate in it, so that i gets a fair trial.

We can have relaxed rules in 2 years, but this year and next year would be crucial to see if this new doemstic format will be good or not.

12. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    Raising the domestic cricket standard is surely needed and I appreciate any effort towards it.

There is another aspect of playing county for our domestic young players.
    It's the exposure.
    You meet with players of totally different mindset. They may think differently, they may form winning strategy differently, and they may do things differently. You chit chat with foreign players, observer their fitness routine and watch their practice drills, and you may also get a piece of advice and suggestions.
    You also play in totally different playing conditions with lush green grounds where fielding standard is on a different level. The ball itself is different and it moves more in the air than it does in Pakistani domestic venues.

All this is something that opens up new doors of imagination. You automatically increase your scope of skill set and merge with players on their home turf.

I remember Imran Khan saying he was thankful that he met John Snow during Sussex county cricket, otherwise, without John's coaching and advice, I would've never been the bowler I was.

13. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    you are right, i wont disagree with you

But at the same time, its important that this new structure is tried out with the players, and for 2 seasons they will have to make sure the elite players do participate.

I think they are allowing half participation in the county leagues.

I think that move by Amir has created alot of problems for other cricketers.