Pitches & spinners role in WC 2019.

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, May 14, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I can see there is absolutely nothing on those surfaces for pacers. They will be shown all corners of the park over and over again.

However, good quality spinners can bowl some decent overs and if they can get you a wicket or two then you cant ask for more in these conditions.

That said, wondering if others also believe that spinners will have a vital role to play in upcoming WC.

2. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    I sincerely hope these are not the type of pitches prepared for the World Cup. But England needs to do what suits them the most. And these type of conditions do.

World Cup will come down to which team can take pressure, that's why Australia or India would have a chance. England will bottle it.

Still feel if Pak-Eng met in a knock out game we will win it.

3. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    Looking at these pitches, Pakistan really missed a trick by not selecting Nawaz instead of Yasir.

He bowls a defensive line and generally does not concede more than 55-60 runs.

He was our best bowler in that match at Trent Bridge aswell where we conceded 444.

4. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Hafeez needs to play, he can at least keep it tight with his off spin.

5. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Dry condition will suit spinners in upcoming WC and Indian spinners have showed it today.
    Kuldeep, Chahal & Jadeja they all bowled really well, didnt give away enough many runs and also took wickets.

Also, Rashid troubled our jobbers in that first embarrassing game too.

Burning question: Are our spinners good enough to not only contain but also take wickets in the middle overs?

6. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Sab choro Westindies ka kiya karna hai india se bhi bari musibat is waqt mujhe west indies lag rahi hai!!

7. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    West Indies pehle khel gaya toh match gaya. Even if they only score 300 we're not going to chase it.

We'll need to bat first and have the scoreboard pressure on them. Then use Imad/Shadab smartly, short spells when they are chasing.

8. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Westindies ki big hitting se ziada danger unki pace bowling se hai they will bowl quick and around throat! They would not bowl full stuff! They are heavy built and lets see how Imam copes with that extra bounce that WI pacers would generate!!

9. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    I think Afghanistan have the best spin attack for WC

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

10. KingOfDoosra

Jun 8, 2012
    Better than Yadav, Chahal and Jaddu? Jadhav is more than handy too

11. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    Indian spinners are out of form atm

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

12. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    Indian spinners bowled really well in the warmup match yesterday. Chahal and Jadeja have been in outstanding form since the IPL. Yadav is the one who had been struggling and he really bowled well yesterday.

13. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Emerging Player

Apr 16, 2010
    Pretty much agree; however, there is a little mystery and perhaps the faintest of hope, that WC wickets will made by ICC and not what we saw in the Pak England series wickets made by ECB.
    So may be, MAY BE, we see something for the bowlers in the ICC made wickets? There is a 0.01% chance of that happening.

If wickets remain at the same bullshit standard as we saw in the warm up games then it’s going to be the end of Pakistan team.

Perhaps our fast bowlers could at least try to bowl Yorkers and deception slower balls? Bowling conventional line and length is like singing on your own death certificate.

I think our most sensible spin bowler (not the most potent or destructive) is perhaps Shoaib Malik.

He should be tried in almost every game so that he gets a better control. He should’ve bowled more in the warm up game as well.

14. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Agree mostly except Malik part, I would rank Hafeez high that him.

15. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Nahi Hafeez may be more potent than Malik but Malik is more sensible as a cricketer although Hafeez is professor but Malik just gives a little bit of air to the ball and give it a bit of a hang time and let pitches do their job a bit therefore he is more of a wicket taker whereas Hafeez bowls a flat contentment line all the time!!

16. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Sensibility ko chatna hai kya if Mian Malik is utter liability with both bat and ball?

17. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    England have really screwed up. The reason why tournaments in England and even bilateral series have been so memorable is because of the balance between bat and ball.

Bowlers have always had a say in England, but they are so hell bent on winning this wc that they’re gonna make this tournament in to a boring run fest.

And I’m pretty sure they still won’t win. This will suit India down to the ground and they’ll probably win it

18. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    In my view, Hafeez as a spinner WAS good against left handers before he was reported.

I think he lost 60 to 70% percent venom after fixing his bowling action.

Malik is a lot more shrewd. He knows how to play mind games with the batsman.
    And Malik is still a superb fielder, 100 times better than Hafeez, and Malik is also perhaps our best catcher on the boundary line. It could make a big difference.

19. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I really hope he starts chucking, because we're in the WC already :D - this is the best time take full advantage of that !!!

As for Malik, honestly every time I see him with ball, he looks impotent.

20. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    I sort of thought the same but I guess the first game proved us wrong. There was somewhat balance in the wicket. It was not as bad as the ones we played on against England.

And remember, England does NOT prepare the wickets for the WC.

It's ICC who prepares WC wickets, and perhaps we ARE going to see a difference.

21. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    Honestly speaking, I have the same feeling about Hafeez with the bat and in the field. :)

He also has this default flaw in the batting where he checks his shot quite often and gets caught. This has happened so many times over the last 15 or so years, and he still can't fix it.

22. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I am not saying Hafeez doesnt possess any issue - he certainly do, and so as Malik, specially against pace and short pitch bowling.

However, if I have to pick in between him and Malik then I'll opt former.

23. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    Yea somewhat balance, but think about it - personally I thought South Africa bowled and fielded very well, and even then England comfortably got to 311. The fact that SA were rolled over so easily is that they’re batting line up is pretty woeful - don’t know why they dropped miller aswell.

And you’re right it is the ICC that prepares the wickets, but I’m pretty sure the host nation get some say. And even if they didn’t, we’re still likely to get batting tracks simply because the ICC are in India’s pocket.

24. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Finally Shadab, Hafeez and Malik are making our spin attack potent.

25. KingOfDoosra

Jun 8, 2012
    Malik and Hafeez are much more superior than Imad

26. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Seems true and we can have somebody else instead of him.

27. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Indian spinners are making impact for sure.

28. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Imad will have an impact soon. Its just England with their 5 left handers!!

29. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Not sure about others but I am very amazed at the tracks ICC has provided in this WC. I dont think I have ever seen pitches in England which support spinners so much... At times it feels like WC is in India and not in England.