[Poll] Will Bangladesh remain a minnow forever?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Energy, Mar 30, 2014.

Will Bangladesh remain a minnow forever?

1. Yes as long as I am alive

58.8%
  2. No they are rising fast

11.8%
  3. I couldn't care less

29.4%

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    They look up against it all the time, literally. Been ages since they got the test status, more than 14 years. They have a huge public following and interest in the sport, decent playing facilities and conditions and they look to be stable financially hosting their own premier league.

Yet they cannot catch a break, cannot establish themselves as a competitive cricketing nation which is a shame. If the same structure was provided to say Kenya, Zimbabwe or even Afghanistan we would have seen more of them on the big stage.

That image of that crying girl against Pakistan makes you feel sorry for the fans but there's little they can do.

2. Fawad

Fawad Sultan of Swing

Sep 1, 2010
    Their fans are very passionate about cricket, maybe a little arrogant as well, but they simply deserve better cricket.

I think Bangladesh needs extra incentive, ICC should threaten them with being replaced with an associate team, maybe that will ignite the spark.

It would have been much better for cricket if someone else from their qualification group made it through, although the crowds will have been non-existent.

3. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    They should have been way better than they are by now. They need to improve their cricketing structure

4. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    Considering they got test status in 1999, they haven't improved much.. They did show brilliance in patches and have beaten big teams occasionally if not on regular basis.

They have some very talented youngsters as well..but somehow unable to perform collectively on a consistent basis.

5. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    They are a gutless bunch. What was the point of remaining not out for instance?

Their fans accept mediocrity and that gives the players a sense of security. Shakib and Nasir played at a run a ball when they needed 14rpo but the fans were cheering boundaries. These players are lucky to have such fans.

They need some threat of punishment that will hopefully give them an incentive to improve. Even the dutch who are amongst the weakest minnows have shown more fight.

6. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    They are not anywhere near as good as they and their fans think they are.

7. Fawad

Fawad Sultan of Swing

Sep 1, 2010
    Apparently Shakib thinks that the root of the problems of BD cricket is the fans' expectations :fp

8. Fawad

Fawad Sultan of Swing

Sep 1, 2010
    Not accepting that their performances are bad and blaming the expectations of fans seems arrogant to me.

9. Asif Abbasi

Asif Abbasi Youngsta Beauty

Sep 19, 2012
    I think they have shown that they are improving at least at home... Their recent wins against New Zealand and West Indies were good... They scored 328 against a pakistani attack recently, so if you look at the positives, they are getting better... They need proper direction, and in 2 years time they can become competitive at least in Asia.

10. greenkill3r

greenkill3r Youngsta Beauty

Mar 8, 2014
    Nah, they are improving. They have beaten a full strength NZL twice now, came close to beating Srilanka a few times. Give this squad a chance, some of these guys are still U20, U25 average age is only 23. Though their attitude needs to change , "Fans should expect less of us" from some players is just pathetic.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
    • List
  11. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Minnow forever

12. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Yes.

You'd think they'd get better after remaining shit for many years. Still shit. Take away full membership from them. They don't deserve it.

Time to give Ireland and Afghanistan as many chances and funding as these so called tigers have gotten for so many years. Basically been a free ride for them.

13. Fawad

Fawad Sultan of Swing

Sep 1, 2010
    I think the problem remains throughout the system, they don't even seem to register and accept the fact that they suck. Need to recognize the problem before you solve it.

14. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    first nation to mature in an environment which, in asia at least, doesnt value test cricket and it shows.

i dont know if bangla players really want to compete at test level. they played there first test 15 years ago, there development stage is equivalent to SL in '98, considering they have a far larger population there lack of development is staggering, i dont think anyone would have ever thought 15 years down the line they would be barely any better than when they started playing.

i know its harsh but objectively they have failed to produced one world class test quality player in fifteen years. to compare to other recent test teams after 15 years, no heath streak, goodwin, ranatunga, let alone murli, de silva , flower or jayasurias.

they might fluke a few t20 wins, maybe even a tourny somewhere down the line but i have no hope for them as a test nation.

• List
  15. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    ziada machhli khao gay toh minnow he raho gay na #SayNoToExcessiveMachhli #RealGoshtFTW

16. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    I think CrayFish isn't bad..

17. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    not a fish fan

• List
  18. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Try Fish karahi or fish biryani with mountain dew.

19. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    stop derailing the thread :slap

20. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
  21. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    Muslim brotherhood, maybe :yk

• List
  22. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    Express Pace is an avid Bangladesh supporter. If he were in power he would try to join both the countries again.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 4
    • List
  23. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    such a dove

• List
  24. Reverse Swing

Reverse Swing Talented

Jul 30, 2013
    If they can't become a good team in 40 years then they are almost never going to become a good team in my life at least.

I think the main reason is that they are naturally not athletes and have little interest in sports in general.

• List
  25. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Main reason as pointed out by Fawad is that they are happy with mediocrity/poor results with one off win against big team every now and then.. they dont want to improve otherwise I dont see why they havent improved in last 10-15 years.. they have produced some very good cricketers but their collective performance is very poor on most occasions.

26. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    dont know about that.

27. Fawad

Fawad Sultan of Swing

Sep 1, 2010
    "Our realistic goal would be to draw the game" Bangladesi coach Hathurusingha told ESPNcricinfo.

Not even a game against a top test team, West Indies are #8, Bangladesh are #10. If you're goal is to draw, you're gonna lose. 0-2 coming up!

28. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
  29. WaQaReD!

WaQaReD! Talented

Sep 13, 2011
    BangLOLdesh will continue to be the laughing stock of international cricket
    They have no identity, lesser versions of the indians so they cant produce fast bowlers either and lesser versions of the pakistanis so they produce even more reckless and mindless batsmen
    the best bengalis played for Pakistan(Saeed Anwar, Rashid Latif and honourable mention of Asif Mujtaba)
    they are just a team consisting of the worse playing traits of the asian sides combined into one stinking mass of cricket dogsh1t

30. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Series defeat to Afghanistan now. 20+ years of playing cricket and still 'building'.

31. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    People still give examples that it took India 2 decades to win its first test and NZ took 30 years etc. so Bangla taking this much time is justified. Those were different times, better quality players and lack of facilities plus less no. of matches so it was difficult to develop.

Now even the minnows like UAE, Ireland, Scotland, Dutch, Afghanistan have all facilities, exposure to world class coaches and players, money making schemes, chances of playing cricket at top level regularly and occasionally against top teams. They have even been given a good status by ICC now. So no excuse left for them not to improve and be competitive in a few years now.

But Bengalis pffftt.... losing games is one thing, misbehaving on and off the field is another. But they haven't produced even one serious international superstar over so many years. And no, don't mention Shakib as a world class unit... even Hardik Pandya is more reliable than him lulz