Prime Minister Imran Khan and PTI government - Performance watch thread

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by Munna, Aug 18, 2018.

1. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    PTI supporters in the US, Canada, and Europe who enjoy the fruits of democracy and free speech and who are often critical of leaders like Donald Trump for his unconstitutional measures are happy and supportive of these draconian tactics from PTI government.

2. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Pakistan’s budget has lost credibility: World Bank

Pakistan’s budget has further lost its credibility and the public finance management system has also deteriorated, according to a draft report of the World Bank that has downgraded the country’s ranking on almost all 31 fiscal management-related indicators.

The Washington-based lender shared the final draft of the Public Expenditure and Financial Accountability (PEFA) report with the Ministry of Finance in June. The report carries an objective assessment of Pakistan’s public finance management system and its budgets from fiscal year 2015-16 to 2017-18.

But the findings reflect extremely poor performance of the Ministry of Finance that failed to carry out its responsibility and let the fiscal rules violated.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/2021443/2-pakistans-budget-lost-credibility-world-bank/

3. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    PTI having a laugh after Maryam Nawaz’s Twitter faux pas

PML-N Vice President Maryam Nawaz actively uses Twitter where she has a huge following. Her five million-plus followers on the popular microblogging site are not just party supporters but also media persons, political commentators, bloggers and politicians.

Anything she tweets goes viral on social media immediately – means the objective is achieved in no time. But this is what caused her huge embarrassment on Friday.

The Express Tribune published a report, “Pakistan’s budget has lost credibility: World Bank” in its Friday’s edition.

Maryam shared the report on her Twitter handle with a tweet in Urdu, “The real performance of incompetent and incapable [govt]”.

The tweet immediately went viral on the microblogging site as it was retweeted by thousands of her followers and sympathisers.

It is understood that neither Maryam nor any of her followers had read the story as they shared it on Twitter believing the World Bank report was about the “dismal” performance of the economic team of the ruling PTI.

However, that wasn’t the case. The report was based on what the global lender says “an objective assessment of Pakistan’s public finance management system and its budgets from fiscal year 2015-16 to 2017-18”.

[​IMG]
    https://tribune.com.pk/story/2022057/1-maryam-deletes-tweet-world-bank-economic-report/

4. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    A latest interview of Atif Mian.
    I am getting more and more convinced that we are finally getting towards restructuring our economy. Will we be able to do it? We will have to wait and see. Once you listen to the interview you would know we are doing exactly what he said. Except for the housing, he thinks that's not a good idea for current Pakistan and I agree with him.

5. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    Economically stable environment is what he is talking about. Do we have one in Pakistan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    he is talking about taking restructuring the economy and taking drastic measures to change the way of our economic model. he is saying we cannot expect chinese and americans to come here and work for us. we have to generate our own taxes, use that money to generate more money. we cant follow the borrow and make money model, it has been tried and tested and failed before. Which is what this govt. have been trying to change.

ofcourse when you change the way of economy, it gets destabilized for a while to get stabilized and kick start again in the right direction. the rupee to dollar is getting stabilized now. businesses will take a little while to accept the change and do the business eventually thats what they do.

it is simple yaar, credit cards are great if you pay the bills on time. Its foolish to use the card if you dont have the income to pay the bills.
    If you have ever visited pakistan you would see from needle to cars, we had started to import everything. heck the markets are full of chinese and thai cloths, for a textile producing country thats a shame. heck even fruits and vegetables are being imported from china etc. people felt having shiny japanese cars on the road meant 'taraqqi', no that is not. we are not dubai, we are supposed to be an agricultural and manufacturing industry.

7. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
  8. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    Irfan Siddique is arrested for not having the police certificate of his tenant. Lmao.

I've been to the Police Station for this stuff and it's literally not worth anything. It's a law which isn't being practiced (even the police station doesn't care)

Now my PTI friends will claim that this isn't revenge politics rather true justice... Kudos to the new guillotine justice.

9. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    I don’t disagree with what you have written. My question is that as Dr Atif Mian pointed out that in order to increase domestic productivity growth you need an economic friendly environment where there is no political turmoil and everything is progressing smoothly. Do we really have an economic friendly environment in Pakistan today?

10. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    That’s a shame. I didn’t expect IK to get to this level. I guess he thinks he is so righteous that he will stay in power for ever and will never face a life in opposition.

11. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    PM Imran has increased his level of emotional blackmailing: Asad Umar

Also says you can imagine how bad the situation is right now. I hope a few of PTI blind followers will listen to the Messiah of Economy (as proposed by PTI bfr Elections)

12. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    I have to re view the video, I don't think he said the words political turmoil.

13. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    Well let's hope so, he didn't say that at the time when he was fired.
    From the article it looks that he was working very closely and was trying to take ISI and army's advantage of their relations with the gulf. So that means they were on board with his plans. So if Imran fired him, which the opposition doesn't want to believe, they think the strings are pulled from GHQ, so it was Imrans decision to go to the IMF. Wether it is right or wrong, that's a separate discussion. But whose taking the decisions then? Surely it's Imran.

14. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    I saw the picture of him and his his tenant in handcuffs. Not the naya Pakistan or Madina ki riyasat that Imran projects. Shameful. He is 70 plus, a teacher and a veteran journo. In logo ki izzat honi chahiye hai muashray mein.

15. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    Political turmoil is a dharna in Islamabad. Don't think these guys have the will and ability to do that yet. Even the dharna couldnt get nawaz to resign. If they gather the will, we will see a Bhutto like leader. So far, until the judiciary supports the opposition, they have been caught into their own game. There is no turmoil, not yet.

16. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012

That's a separate story on why he was fired. And working with the army doesn't mean they'll always be behind your back. There's not many people who can be as treacherous as the army officials as proven in Pakistans history time and time again.

Ps. To say that 'he didn't say so at his time of removal hence wrong' is fallacious because speaking out in public about the establishment is equivalent to suicidal of any further political ambitions.

17. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    He made a very very clear statement
    Actually I do agree that Pakistan army prefers the IMF and American money over any other bailout since they have the advantage to manipulate the Americans over Afghanistan. I have said this before, Americans give almost give blank cheques to Pakistan as compared to say China. We can already see how CPEC has gone out of media highlights in Pakistan. We are back with the Americans an it was only a matter of time. Infact they are marketing the Gwadar port to the Americans relation with Iran are getting up again and Chahbahar is not a trusted option for them.

But I have followed Asad's statements and discussions after he was fired, and he was very clear multiple times that if He or PTI is not able to deliver, army is the LAST one to be blamed, or the one who says this after the failure do not believe him. He is a smart man and he considers himself more of a politician than a finance expert. His case has been very confusing with the kind of statements he has given. I think that resulted in his firing. He didn't say what he did and he didn't do what he said.

18. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    My family travels frequently between Karachi and Lahore and we've had horrifying experiences in the last few weeks. The trains are routinely late by 6 to 8 hours and the Business Compartment has Khatmals and mice in it and it is extremely dirty.
    To check on what I've said, you can download the Pak Rail App and I can bet you there won't be a single train between Lhr to Khi which is on time.

In Saad Rafiq times, the train had developed its reputation for immaculate conditions and perfect timing so much so that one of my relatives missed the train because they were late by five minutes. Moreover, people preferred to travel on train over aeroplane because of cheaper and safer transportation.

I'll wait for my PTI friend to come up with another excuse on how Saad Rafiq was actually using corrupt methods to stop train accidents as well as better quality and now Shaykh Rasheed is developing this department as it is meant to be developed.

19. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012

I'm not an expert of the politics inside PTI but it is clear as daylight now that this party is no longer the party which the PTI supporters voted for...any unbiased person will attest to that.

20. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    That is true to an extent and I will not disagree to that. Asad Umar's is still hanging around but he was the actual face of naya Pakistan that Imran projected. Others were just to make the line up. The older ones like Arif alvi are playing no role whatsoever except for throwing parties for the members. The likes of Ali zaidi and the karachi brigade are more or less just made to hang around. But in any case, in the end the star was always Imran khan and he is still selling and will sell. All they have to do is get the economy a little stable and and make enough money to feed the army and their ambitions. I don't see any of the older parties coming back. PPP still have a chance but noon league will be more or less made irrelevant.
    If you remember that exGeneral who died recently, who was famously projected as the one who defeated the Soviets, made remarks that it's now time for Pakistan to give the world a new governing system. I think this is what he was talking about.

21. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012

These are pipe dreams of every general but it won't work. Already we've had huge protests against the government and considering the issue of Qadiyanis which IK and his team seem to be adamant to change, the Civil VS Government movement will only get more fire to it.

22. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    Time will tell. I have to say i want Imran to work, because there is no future with the Sharifs and Zardaris (bhuttos). They have not been able to change Pakistan.
    There is no issue of Qadiyanis in Pakistan it is extremely over-rated. The most they may do under the international pressure (to get funds) is make a non-applicable amendment in blasphemy law to project to the international media and FATF. Just like hafiz saeed arrest. Sab kaghzi karawai hai.

23. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    خیبرپختونخوا میں سونامی مہم کو جھٹکا، 12 لاکھ درخت جل گئے

upload_2019-7-29_11-32-16.png

پشاور: صوبہ خیبرپختونخوا کے جنگلات میں سال 2018-19 کے دوران آتشزدگی کے واقعات میں 12لاکھ سےزیادہ درخت جل گئے جن سے ایک طرف جہاں تقریباً دوکروڑ 72 لاکھ روپے کے نقصان کا سامنا کرنا پڑا وہیں تحریک انصاف حکومت کی سونامی ٹری مہم کو بھی زبردست جھٹکا لگا ہے۔

صوبائی محکمہ جنگلات نے اس نقصان کی تصدیق کردی ہے ۔ایک سینئر افسر نے بتایا کہ ان واقعات کی محکمانہ انکوائری تو کرائی جارہی ہے تاہم اس کی جامع اورآزادانہ تحقیقات کیلیے وزیراعلیٰ خیبرپختونخوا سے جے آئی ٹی بنانے کی درخواست کی ہے ۔صوبائی محکمہ جنگلات نے صوبے کے جنگلات کو 3 ریجنز میں تقسیم کررکھا ہے ان میں سینٹرل سدرن ،ہزارہ اور ملاکنڈ ریجن شامل ہیں۔ایکسپریس ٹریبیون کو ملنے والی دستاویزات کے مطابق سینٹرل سدرن ریجن جس میں پشاور، مردان،چارسدہ ،کوہاٹ ،بنوں،ڈیرہ اسماعیل خان لکی مروت اور نوشہرہ کے اضلاع شامل ہیں۔ان اضلاع میں 88 ہزار708 درخت جلے ہیں ۔اگرنقصان کا اندازہ لگائیں توان کی مالیت 98 لاکھ کے لگ بھگ ہے۔ہزارہ ڈویژن میں ایک کروڑ 70 لاکھ،ملاکنڈ ڈویژن میں تین لاکھ 60 ہزار مالیت کے درختوں کا نقصان ہوا ہے ۔

محکمہ جنگلات کے ایک اہلکار نے نام ظاہر نہ کرنے کی شرط پربتایا کہ اگرچہ جنگلات میں لگی آگ پر قابوپانا محکمہ جنگلات کی ذمے داری نہیں تاہم محکمہ کی طرف سے مشتبہ افراد کیخلاف ایسے واقعات کے 27 کیس درج کرائے گئے ہیں۔سینٹرل سدرن ریجن میں 9 ،ہزارہ میں 13 اور ملاکنڈ ڈویژن میں پانچ کیس درج کیے گئے ہیں۔ان کا کہنا تھا کہ صوابی اور نوشہرہ کی چراگاہوں میں بھی آگ لگنے کے واقعات رپورٹ ہوئے ہیں۔محکمہ کی دستاویزات سے پتہ چلتا ہے کہ گزشتہ تین برسوں کی نسبت گزشتہ ایک سال کے دوران جنگلا ت میں آگ لگنے کے واقعات کی شرح بہت بڑھ گئی ہے۔ سال 2018-19 ء کے دوران 139 مقامات پر آگ لگی اور اس سے ایک ہزار 735 ایکڑ رقبہ پرجنگلات متاثرہوئے۔

ا س کے برعکس 2015-16 کے دوران صرف 370 ایکڑ پرجنگلات میں آگ لگی تھی لیکن اس کے بعد اگلے دوبرسوں میں یہ شرح ایک ہزار414 اور دوہزار 793 تک پہنچ گئی۔ان واقعات پر قابو پانے کیلئے محکمہ نے ایک سٹینڈرڈ پروسیجر تیارکیا ہے ۔اس کیلئے ٹیمیں بنائی جائیں گی جو ہرسال انتظامیہ سے مل کر دفعہ 144 کے تحت آتشبازی پرپابندی لگوائیں گی۔ترقیاتی کاموں کیلئے مختص زمین اور جنگلات کے درمیان 100 میٹر کے بفرزون بنائے جائیں گے۔جنگلات سے پانچ سو میٹر کے اندر کے علاقے میں کوڑا کرکٹ دفن کرنے پر بھی پابندی لگادی جائیگی۔

https://www.express.pk/story/1760033/1/

24. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Such fires are natural phenomenon, so could have occurred due to dry and hot weather, however, if it was set up then culprits must to be nabbed.

Better first to investigate how these fire were set. It is not hard to figure out how a forest fire was initiated.

25. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    $2.3 billion external public debt in FY2018-19 lowest in 3 years: govt

The Economic Affairs Division on Friday said that the net addition to the external public debt during FY2018-19 was only $2.29 billion which is the lowest in the last three years.

The division said in a press release, "The total external inflows during FY 2018-19 were $10.186 billion, including grants of $330 million, while external loans obtained by the government during the year were $9.85 billion with the government making payment of $8.94 billion on account of retirement of external debt and debt servicing."

So the net addition to the external public debt clocked in at $2.29bn, it added.

Showing a comparison, the economic affairs division further said that net additions to the external public debt during the last three fiscal years [FY 2015-16 to FY 2017-18] were $6.82bn, $4.77bn and $8.64bn respectively.

It added that the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the World Bank (WB) disbursed $541.17 million and $652.75mn respectively during FY 2018-19 as compared to $945.69mn and $817.54mn during FY 2017-18.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1496334/2...blic-debt-in-fy2018-19-lowest-in-3-years-govt

26. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Falling deficit, low imports , lower borrowing and widening tax net - all these factors are vital moving forward.

27. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Money launderers to get 10 years in prison, fine of Rs5m under approved bill

The National Assembly's Standing Committee on Finance on Tuesday approved the Anti-Money Laundering (Amendment) Bill, 2019, which prescribes punishments for offenders and outlines mechanisms for authorities to deal with such crimes in an effort to fulfil the Financial Action Task Force's requirements on curbing money laundering.

According to the approved Bill, violators of the law against money laundering will be subject to a prison sentence of up to 10 years instead of the previous two years, along with a fine of Rs5 million, up from the previous figure of Rs1m.

Furthermore, the investigating officer shall be authorised remand of the person for a period of 180 days, up from the previous 90 days, and shall not need to obtain arrest warrants from the court. The offender's assets will also be seized by authorities.

A session of the committee was held today in the Parliament House, Islamabad under the chairmanship of Asad Umar.

Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) Director General Bashir Memon, while giving a briefing to the committee, had called for the above-mentioned amendments to be made in the Bill.

State Bank officials in attendance had informed committee members that under the conditions provided by the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), the crime of money laundering must be reported immediately. They cautioned that legal action will be taken against bank employees who file erroneous suspicious transactions reports as well as against those who fail to report such transactions.

The committee also accorded approval to the Foreign Exchange Regulations Bill, under which the exchange of foreign currency will be controlled. If a person wishes to send or receive $10,000 or more within the country, permission from the State Bank will have to be sought first.

During the session's proceedings, committee members expressed reservations on the recommendations provided by the FATF to curb money laundering. Ayesha Ghous Pasha was of the view that "having turned FATF into a shield, the authorities were implementing an 'overkill' when it came to responsive measures".

"Where in the world does this occur, that an individual is barred from carrying foreign currency from one city to the other?"

To this, Asad Umar responded by saying: "FATF is giving us biased treatment. It is telling Pakistan to do what is done nowhere else in the world."

FATF compliance
    Pakistan has so far avoided the FATF blacklist, but an October deadlinelooms large, when it will have to report back to the world financial watchdog that it has successfully implemented its own action plan to counter terror financing.

Pakistan, which ran an extensive diplomatic campaign to avoid blacklisting thus far, now has two major tasks before it.

The first is to convince the FATF by October that it has implemented its action plan. And the second is to win over 15 out of 36 FATF members to come off a grey list of countries which are monitored to ensure compliance.

Pakistan took a number of key measures recently to combat terror financing and money laundering, which also helped convince FATF member states not to put Islamabad on the blacklist.

The measures include banning currency transactions without a national tax number, disallowing open market conversion of more than $500 without submitting a copy of the national identity card, proscribingmilitant groups like Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JUD) and Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) and seizing their assets.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1497091/m...rs-in-prison-fine-of-rs5m-under-approved-bill

28. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Very certain that PML-N supporters will have issues with this too.

29. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  30. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    translation please?

31. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    well said,
    what is now happening in Pakistan has bcome a joke, freedom of speech is being curtailed

32. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    bro the issue of Ahmadis isnt small one.

i also thought it was over rated until i saw the views of university students about them.

People literally boycott drinks like Shezan due to it being affiliated to Ahmadi family.

Ahmadi's have to face social boycott. I have family members who dont eat food from shia's they throw it away.

Ahmadi issue isn't a small one, people support the khadim rizvi march here.

33. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    I am not saying Ahmadi's issue is not a small one. All i am saying the state of Pakistan is not moving away from their constitutional stance on Ahmadi's not being considered muslims. Wether it is right or wrong is completely different matter and an extensive discussion. The ulema's (and the real ones not the mullahs) have the opinion that they should not be accepted as muslims.

but they should have the right to do business etc and live a normal life. and they have that constitutional right, except for propagating their religion. If the awaam boycott their products govt. can do nothing about it. but govt. must take measures to protect them as they are the citizens of pakistan.

34. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    hence the constitution should not telling or making criterias for being a muslim

35. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    Our constitution is revised following the islamic principles as much as possible. We were announced as Islamic Republic of Pakistan during the Bhutto and Zia regimes.

36. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Number Of Taxpayers In Pakistan Increases By 700,000

ISLAMABAD: The number of taxpayers in Pakistan has risen by 700,000 over a year-long period, according to statistics of the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR).

As per the FBR's statistics, the total number of people who submitted their tax returns rose by 700,000 to a total of 2.154 million. Of these, some 700,000 are salaried people.

The FBR said proposals to levy fixed taxes were being considered to bring the small- and big-business owners into the tax net.

Last month, the government had launched the Asset Declaration Scheme, which benefitted thousands of people.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/243989-number-of-taxpayers-in-pakistan-rises-by-700000

37. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    This particular issue was discussed for 23 days in the Parliament and leaders of Qadiyanis were called and debates were held and neutral judges made the decision that Qadiyanis aren't Muslims.
    Partly because they don't consider us Muslims either.. I would suggest you to read the Parliament sessions to get a better idea of what happened.

38. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    [​IMG]

Modi ka jo yaaar hy... (remember the slogan?)

39. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    This is a non issue. It has been done before. And they had to eventually do it. The headline is misleading. Please read up on it.

40. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    Does it mean they have veto powers for 2 years like other 5 permanent members?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk