1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Prime Minister Imran Khan and PTI government - Performance watch thread

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by Munna, Aug 18, 2018.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
  2. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    you mean this one?

I can explain it if you want.

3. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    basically he is saying that for a central bank to be successful they need two conditions -

1) a free exchange rate - and this is what he is saying that the government has done well

2) encourage foreign direct investment into the country, to get dollars into the country.

its based on a paper by someone called Helene Rey (http://www.helenerey.eu/AjaxRequest...147802013_67186463733_jacksonholedraftweb.pdf)

what that boils down to is this in laymen's terms:

1) the previous governments have destroyed the country's economy by controlling the exchange rate and artificially keeping the rupee strong.

what that has done has decimated the export industry (if the rupee is strong, when you try to sell something sourced domestically in rupee terms, it is artificially expensive in International markets. equally, when the rupee is weak, exports are more attractive because they are cheaper in other countries).

it has also encouraged imports, and has made the population used to foreign goods over locally produced ones.

this is unsustainable because imports>>>exports, which means $$$ are leaving the country. what dar did to pay for this, was to borrow foreign money - and so he pushed the country into a debt trap where to pay for a widening trade gap (imports minus exports), he borrowed money, so that the following year not only did he have to pay for a widening trade gap, but he has to pay interest in his loans, pay some of the loans off, and so had to borrow even more money.

the reason they allowed the rupee to strengthen in the first place, is because it artificially keeps the cost of international products, including crude oil and food low. artificially, because it is unsustainable and inevitably results in the correction we are now seeing. they were dong this, essentially completely destroying the future of the country, to win political favour from the masses, so they could continue to steal wealth. this is the same reason they have conspired with india and the USA to do represent their policies in return for destabilisation of pakistan and its non sharif/zardari government.

here's a representation of how severe this was:

Screenshot 2020-01-23 at 13.41.07.png

so the country is broken and stuck in a massive debt trap. foreign countries keep lending because they know Pakistan wouldn't be able to pay back the loans, and when that happens, no one will lend you money, and so they go bankrupt and have to do whatever their international creditors demand in terms of assets, governance and policy. this is what sharif and zardari have done to the country.

so what Atif Mian is saying is that to start fixing that you have to first allow the currency to re-rate, that means the rupee weakens, which over time will allow exports to start to flourish again, because exports become more price competitive. there still has to be investment into the export industries to make them more technologically adept at competing internationally, so thats another problem, but this is the first step.

what it does as a consequence though, is increase the burden in the short term for even more borrowing, since the domestic revenue is in rupees which have just become less valuable.

the idea is that it boosts exports, reduces imports, and that becomes reflected in what is called the current account defecit, which is essentially exports minus imports. once that is positive, at least the country is running at breakeven, so they can concentrate on starting ot pay off all that debt, and then start to raise the standard of living of the people.

2) on the foreign direct investment, what he is saying is that you have to be careful about the type of money you attract into the country to help pay these short term borrowings and bills. if you get money that is incentives by tax cuts for foreigners for example, they can take that money away as quickly as they bring it in which can make things even worse, because suddenly you are left with no currency reserves to pay of a loan that has become due for example.

he is advocating creating an environment where then type of money that is invested in pakistan is for long term structural projects instead.

he says that that needs to be done with state bank incentives of what he terms a capital regulation policy. this, as it happens, includes a "strong safeguards against money laundering" since this is a huge source of money leaving the country.

its is a bit chicken and egg, if you dont fix your economy, no money is invested because you are unreliable, and so you are in even more desperate need for help. when your economy is fixed, everyone wants to invest because you are safe.

he then goes on to make a criticism of the government for encouraging "hot money" - but later corrects this view when he is shown data that this was happening before government policy, and government policy was for incentivising long term investment, not shot term investment.

dont know if that makes it any clearer for you - let me know if you have any specific questions.

4. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    its not going to happen. the frustration I have had with the government has been this constant policy of over promise and under deliver, but I was under no misapprehension that they would be able to fix the country in one political term. its going to take more than a decade.

the problems are a fraction of what they were in the UK, and we've just had 12 years of austerity to try to fix that, and it still isnt. pakistan has institutionalised corruption thanks to corrupt governments who have built this over decades, quite apart from gargantuan economic mismanagement. the people will suffer massively as a result, and sadly, because of democracy, they deserve it.

these are the fruits of policies of the crooks they have elected.

if I had to guess about the future, I think pakistan becomes another egypt type country, a vassal state of foreign powers with none of its own sovreignty. the PTI will lose the next election, whoever comes in will continue the bribing policies of past governments and sell what remaining sovreignty there is to whoever will lend money. a corrupt puppet will be in place, like Karzai, who will play china off the usa, with people suffering misery and terrorism as a result.

I cant see how its any different. it would be a miracle if the pti manage to deliver some form of relief to the people, the system is just too broken in favour of the elites who have their people everywhere - institutions, courts, local government, and even in the sitting government as electables - we can see all this with the recent news on manipulated food prices, and the coalition partners making noise.

ultimately all these people are in it for themselves, they dont give a rats ass about the people except probably IK, but he cant do anything on his own surrounded by an incompetent and corrupt political class that zardari and sharif have cultivated over decades.

5. Del

Del Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Dec 21, 2016
    This...

The more I observe that more I believe that this rotten democratic isnt gonna resolve woes of Pakistan & Pakistani's. Khan cant do much, its very obvious with every passing day. Icing on the cake, his allies including PML-Q, MQM and others all are blackmailing - if one doesnt believe than listen to the following from 10:23

That said, I dont think Khan can work and implement his vision in the current system. Perhaps Pakistan need opt presidential system or Khan should resolve the assembly and ask people that he needs to win with majority, only than he can do what he wants and not with invisible handcuffs. As long as Imran Khan doesn't have full majority and the power to make substantial changes corruption cannot be tackled effectively.

6. Del

Dec 21, 2016
    Pakistan gets investment from Bahrain, UAE for $29 mln model farm

KARACHI: In collaboration with its partners in Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates, a Pakistani meat processor and exporter is investing Rs4.5 billion, or approximately $29 million, to establish a modern farm and slaughter house to breed animals and produce meat, company officials said on Thursday.

“We have acquired 135 acres of land in Chunian, near Lahore, to set up a modern animal production farm that will have state-of-the-art facilities,” Abdul Hannan, the managing partner of Tazij Meat and Foods, told Arab News.

“We have acquired a barren land for the livestock and agriculture project that will initially cost Rs4.5 billion,” he continued. “The work on the project will start in March 2020.”

The company, which mostly exports meat to the Middle East, has attracted investment from individual investors belonging to Gulf states. “Our foreign partners are from Bahrain and the UAE,” Hannan informed.

https://www.arabnews.pk/node/1614511/pakistan

7. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    it would be interesting to see what are scores were during martial law (considering this one aswell) and ppp/pmln governments. if someone can do that :p

8. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    its not particularly indicative of anything really. im not buying the PTI narrative that the transparency international pakistan chapter is corrupt - they used the report in their favour before the election, they have to accept it now.

however, I dont know if the report includes the current open investigations, or whether they only look at convictions. even if thats not an issue, as I mentioned in my last post, you cant turn a tanker around in such a short period of time - the institutional toxicity and rot is pervasive throughout the country, thanks to previous governments. lets see what happens after the full term.

9. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    to be honest i am not really a judge here and i am not aware what they calculate for the report but if we take it as a report which important people take seriously then the corruption has gone up from previous report and it may not be a judgement but atleast is an internationally accepted indicator.

10. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    but i honestly had "sigh of relief" after seeing atif mian's post. he seems like an unbiased voice. we all are aware that a tanker cant be turned around so early but we need to be made sure time to time that we are moving in the right direction.

11. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    I dont think it makes any difference in terms of international activity. FATF on the other hand does, that will be more important.

international money is much smarter than retail research reports, they will invest if there is a real change of fortunes on the ground. the stock market shows that at the moment they are building in some expectation of stability, but since its forward looking, it can change.

12. Del

Dec 21, 2016
    @godzilla @Passionate Pakistani @MNA @Disco Lemonade @Mycroft Holmes

hear hear, this is how Transparency International (TI) find out about corruption.

Transparency International report is based on the results of 8 agencies, out of which, only 2 gave negative scores. These 2 agencies are:

I) BTI Transformation index
    II) World Justice Rule of Law Index

From BTI Transformation index site: Time period for giving -ve ratting to Pakistan in 2019, is based on the period from Feb 1, 2015 to Jan 31, 2017 (available on their website).
    [​IMG]

https://www.bti-project.org/en/reports/country-reports/detail/itc/pak/

All the indicators are from 2015 - 2017 - which party was ruling the country back than?

Similarly, for World Justice Rule of Law Index, data collected for analysis was from 2017-2018

[​IMG]

https://worldjusticeproject.org/sit..._Report_2017_Final-Online Version-Reduced.pdf

Attached Files:

13. Del

Dec 21, 2016
    And this is the original source from where I got the above details

14. Del

Dec 21, 2016
    And now this also confirms it.

15. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    i am not an emotional PTI supporter, still I reject this report, its not indicative of current state of corruption

16. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    OUCH.

the worry some part is that the PTI ministers did not read it aswell and are questioning the credibility of the report.

Ye saray milke.......

17. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    Well if we were going to be fair about it we would see transparency int’s response.

in any case it shows an inconcsistency to use their reports pre election and now reject them. Maybe the best you can do is say that they are backward looking and so don’t yet reflect current circumstances.

but as usual, the media is making a massive deal of what is an utter irrelevancy.

18. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    Dont care about reports and images.

Some of the things i noticed in Pak

Corruption is still at all time high
    Nepotism
    Different rule for different class
    Still VIP culture
    And poor class is the most affected class in Pakistan.

Wtf is all this shit ?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

19. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Imran Khan and Naya Pakistan is nothing but a hoax.

20. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    haha see who is talking

21. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    Welcome back to the group of sane people PP.

Anybody who is living in Pakistan and isn't an idiot knows the pti is a huge fraud.

22. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Sep 22, 2012
    R u not a PTI supporter anymore?

23. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
  24. Red Devil

Red Devil Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Dec 15, 2013
    His biggest mistake was to choose the same old crooks in his team. I still think his heart is in the right place and he's trying his best but there's too many incompetent jobbers in too many key positions.

25. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    Very diplomatic. Wish ur Supreme leader sharif had this much aqal

26. Mohan

Mohan Formerly 'Captain Clutch'

Nov 4, 2014
    Yeh tabdeeli kab aayi @Red Devil ?? :D

27. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    He is a very volatile pathan one second he will say this then flip flop.

28. Red Devil

Red Devil Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Dec 15, 2013
    After he came back to Pakistan lol.

29. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
  30. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    hilarious to see who comes out of the woodwork all of a sudden in this thread..

31. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    I've been here all along but don't find any use to talk to you or reply to your long rants.
    You sit out of Pakistan and talk about Pakistan as if you know something...Thankfully, PP got back to his senses once he landed here.

32. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    Yes it’s very clear how you are still here but invisible whenever you are presented with some facts.

33. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    There is a difference between honesty and competency. Khan is honest but sadly not competent.

Having a poor or incompetent or corrupt team is also captain's fault

34. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    what option did he have? in our rotten political system one person cant change anything, he had to cozy up to all the lotaas and mafaad parast tolla

35. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    I know and i also know that we judge him on the basis of the benchmark he set.

There was no point to set benchmark so high that you become a laughing stock.

I feel for him because his legacy is at stake and he has been one of the greatest Pakistanis ever but his government has been piss poor.
    In fact piss poor will be an understatment.

36. Disco Lemonade

Dec 17, 2009
    i do not agree. give it time.
    there are reports but there are also counter reports. the game is on.
    His track record doesnt say that.
    Cricket.
    Social work.
    Politics.

37. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    IKs own competency is questionable like PP said.

He's still insisting on Buzdar despite his own ministers bashing Buzdar and still keeps a corrupt JKT with him wherever he goes.

38. Del

Dec 21, 2016
    Report does not reflect increase in corruption: Transparency International

Dawn.com

January 26, 2020

[​IMG]

Pakistan was assigned a score of 32, a point lower than its score of 33 on the 2018 index. — Reuters/File
    Transparency International – Pakistan, which last week released a global corruption perceptions report showing Pakistan had slipped three spots from the previous year's ranking, on Sunday issued a clarification saying that the lowering of Pakistan’s rating did not “reflect an increase or decrease in corruption as it is within the standard margin of error”.

According to a press release issued on Sunday, the anti-graft non-government organisation (NGO) said it wanted to set the record straight and issue clarifications regarding “misreporting on CPI [Corruption Perceptions Index] 2019 in the media”.

The statement says that certain sections of media misreported ratings of the Bertelsmann Stiftung Transformation Index 2020, using data from the 2018 index instead. The data for the 2020 Bertelsmann Index, according to the statement, has not yet been made public and was exclusively made available to TI for the formation of its report.

Responding to the government's criticism following the release of the report, the press release clarified that TI had in no way termed the government of President Musharraf as most corrupt in the country, nor was the current government referred to as the second most corrupt one. The PML-N and PPP governments were also not called the “cleanest” ones.

Addressing a press conference in Islamabad on Friday, Special Assistant to the Prime Minister on Information Dr Firdous Ashiq Awan had lambasted the TI report, saying: "There is a huge question mark over the transparency of TI. It is necessary to expose the people and the data, on the basis of which this this report was published, in front of the public.

"Who will respect the findings of a report that says the most amount of corruption was done during the government of Gen Pervez Musharraf, followed by Imran Khan’s government and then by the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP), placing the PML-N government at the very bottom?" Awan had questioned.

“[The] reality is that CPI 2019 has not given any such rating for Pakistan, nor for any other country. TI does not have its own data input in CPI, and TI Pakistan has no role in the creation of the CPI, nor does it have any data input in it,” TI said in its statement.

The NGO further clarified that the corruption perceptions index is prepared by its Germany wing and that Transparency International Pakistan had no role in the creation of the CPI.

“The CPI aggregates data from 13 different sources of 12 different institutions that provide perception of corruption by business people and country experts of the level of corruption in public sector. Each of the scores of the 13 sources included in the CPI is standardised by TI and data is entered in a software, to calculate for the aggregation into the CPI score.

"The standardisation converts all the data points to a scale of 0 to 100 where a zero represents the highest level of perceived corruption, and 100 the lowest level of perceived corruption, CPI 2019 for Pakistan has used data of 8 sources,” the press release said, clarifying how the CPI is generated.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1530678/r...ease-in-corruption-transparency-international

This is for all the people who kept making ignorant assumptions, based upon titles alone.

Here's a statement from the very source.

There is a serious lack of critical thinking among certain users.

39. Mohan

Mohan Formerly 'Captain Clutch'

Nov 4, 2014
    That is an exaggeration but many of his promises have fallen flat. 5 million houses for example.

And now I am hearing all the money he collected for the dam fund has been gobbled up by his minions.

40. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    I have a question which you will as usual run away from: how can you have any self respect when your narrative is exactly the same as the one that modi would be championing (as im sure as our resident modi representative here will confirm)?