Prime Minister Imran Khan calls on overseas Pakistanis to donate to dams fund

Discussion in 'The Pavilion' started by Munna, Sep 7, 2018.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Prime Minister Imran Khan spoke to the nation in a brief televised address on Friday evening to appeal for donations to the dams fund set up by the Supreme Court.

"There is no question that we are faced with several significant problems," the prime minister said as he began the address. "Our debt today stands at Rs30,000 billion but the biggest problem we currently face is the water crisis.

[​IMG]

"When Pakistan was made, every Pakistani had 5600 cubic metres of water. Today that stands at only 1000 cubic metres."

"We have storage capacity of only 30 days for water when the safe period for water storage is 120 days. India has a capacity of 90 days. This is why making the dam for us is so important."

Warning of the rapid depletion in Pakistan's water resources, the premier said the country would face drought-like conditions by 2025 if immediate steps were not taken.

"I want to take over the fund-raising and want overseas Pakistanis to contribute like they used to do for the Shaukat Khanum Cancer Hospital, he said.

The prime minister asked all overseas Pakistanis to make as many donations as they can to the dams fund in dollars to plug the country's depleting foreign exchange reserves as well as provide funding to start building dams, which he said he would personally oversee.

"I will safeguard your donations [against misuse]," he promised.

"If every overseas Pakistani donates $1,000, we will have enough to build the dams ourselves," the prime minister said.

"This fund will only be used for building dams. I know not every overseas Pakistani will be able to give $1,000, especially the ones working in the Middle East. To them, I would say that donate as much as you can. But the overseas Pakistanis in Europe and the United States, I want them to send at least $1,000 or even more if they can," he said.

The prime minister cited the example of Egypt, which he said had launched a similar drive to build dams using its own resources.

"They were not getting any external loans; no one will give us any loans from outside either," he said. "We already have so many loans that we are finding hard to repay, so no one is going to loan us anymore. We alone will have to build this dam, and we can. We just have to make up our minds."

"I promise to you that I will safeguard your money," PM Khan added.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1431520

2. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
  3. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
  4. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Shuru ho giya chanda maangney.

I think there are far better options than this for doing charity.

5. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    For example which one

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

6. Savak

Savak Emerging Player

Feb 26, 2013
    The fund needs to be promoted to Non Pakistani's to be really successful. If it is just restricted to the Pakistani nation or Overseas Pakistani's. It will be very difficult to meet the target. But if it is promoted to people living in the US, Canada, UK, Australia and other countries in the Middle East, Europe, it can meet the targets. It should be promoted to the rich billionaires in the US, Canada, UK, Australia, Europe, Middle East who donate $ millions to charities world wide on an annual basis.

7. Del

Del Whispering Death

Dec 21, 2016
    Good idea but I one issue. In US particularly most billionaires are Jewish, so I am certain how much they will be willing to donate their money. Best bet could be to reach out big Muslim fishes who much donate some.

However, at the end of the day, overseas pakistanis have to make significant contribution towards these dams. And it's going to be a long term commitment, because I am not sure how much in total is needed for these dams but so far 2 billion are collected as per updated stats.

https://arynews.tv/en/dams-funding-reaches-almost-rs-2-billion/

8. Stumps

Stumps Youngsta Beauty

Oct 6, 2015
    How much is actually needed? How much has been raised so far?

They also need to have local banks (eg UBL in the UK) take donations from overseas Pakistanis/people wishing to donate - to make the process easier to encourage donations.

I wish the units of currencies could also be clarified - eg a Pakistani 100,000 is not the same as a UK million.

9. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    cant see this working, its not the job of overseas Pakistanis to increase their already massive support for this failed state, when the locals cant stop their leaders staling everything, and instead keep voting them in until a month or so ago. its time - for the first time - national Pakistanis to step up to the plate and help themselves rather than begging everyone else for it.

and it seems a ridiculous suggestion to try to appeal to non Pakistanis, why on earth would they hand over money to a foreign government for them to build their national infrastructure?

the way it will work is by incentivising contributors. its an excellent idea for priming the next lenders to pakistan to be retail, vested-Pakistanis rather than a western institution. basically pakistani state crowdfunding. I think there are widespread reports of a bond offering for overseas Pakistanis, which I think has an excellent chance of success pending terms.

10. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    @godzilla the main reason behind this is to bring money to Pakistan through banking channel because at the moment our foreign reserves are at its lowest and we are in an economic crisis. This is like killing two birds with one stone. Whether they achieve or not achieve the target, they will get something for the reserves at least.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

11. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    I agree and I see that, and yes whatever they get will be additive - its worth trying.

I think if they wrap up some property or something in return other than just the karma and spiritual uplift, they will do very very well. theyve already said this is just one amongst a suite of strategies to address the fiscal deficit.

if they are appealing for ajar alone, the problem there is that the project competes with lots of other charitable causes globally, and I bet it will be somewhat unsettling for foreign Pakistanis to feel they are being asked to clean up a mess they didnt create.

12. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    Please let us know the far better options.

13. Del

Del Whispering Death

Dec 21, 2016
    So overseas Pakistani community has been pouring money since Khan's speech and I am sure they'll continue to do so, because its a long term commitment. What I saw and heard is that we're close to 2 billion atm and we need 14 billion in total, therefore, it will take time to collect the remaining money (12 billion).

That said, what I like to know is that what steps and initiatives are taken to expedite the process to bring back looted money from Pakistan. According to many talk shows, there is easily over 150 billion had been money laundered and we need only 14 billion to make dams - unbelievable ...

I don't have any hope from current model to bring back looted money, because its has been almost 2 years since Panama papers came to fore, and to this date not even a single rupee has been recovered. All we see reference after reference against crooks but absolute zilch recovery.

14. Del

Del Whispering Death

Dec 21, 2016
    What I saw and heard is that we're close to 2 billion atm and we need 14 billion in total, therefore, it will take time to collect the remaining money (12 billion).

15. Del

Del Whispering Death

Dec 21, 2016
    Listen to the following from 26.00 - 27.30 to hear what Saudi's said when asked question about dams fund raising.

16. Del

Del Whispering Death

Dec 21, 2016
  17. Del

Del Whispering Death

Dec 21, 2016
  18. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Tracer Bullet

Dec 26, 2011
    By donating from the UK...how will it benefit me? My immediate family, kids are all here.

19. Stumps

Stumps Youngsta Beauty

Oct 6, 2015
    Thanks. :)

The running total is here:

http://www.supremecourt.gov.pk/web/page.asp?id=2757

20. Stumps

Stumps Youngsta Beauty

Oct 6, 2015
    Never done anything altruistic?

21. Del

Del Whispering Death

Dec 21, 2016
  22. Del

Del Whispering Death

Dec 21, 2016
    Diamer Bhasha Dam Fund: World Congress of Overseas Pakistanis launch a new initiative

*LONDON - The World Congress of Overseas Pakistanis (WCOP) says it is organising nationwide fund raising campaigns in London, Glasgow, Cardiff and Manchester in collaboration with Pakistan High Commission (London) for building dams in Pakistan.*

The WCOP appreciated Prime Minister Imran Khan’s initiative to start building dams including Diamer-Basha Dam to resolve the future looming water shortages and for socioeconomic prosperity of Pakistan.

“Overseas Pakistanis are inspired by the call of the Prime Minister to support Diamer-Basha Dam project in Pakistan and they are worried about the worsening water crisis situation in the country that is likely to become a humanitarian crisis if vigorous steps are not taken to resolve.

the issue”, Arif Anis Malik Co-Founder and Executive Director of World Congress of Overseas Pakistanis (WCOP) said while talking to a state-run wire service here.

Anis was responding to the call for donations by the Prime Minister Imran Khan to the overseas Pakistanis.

The real purpose of the campaign is to sensitize the overseas Pakistanis about the water crisis and how crucial it is to build new dams and reservoirs to ward off the looming water disaster in the country.

He urged the overseas Pakistanis to come forward and actively participate in the fund raising campaigns and play their vital role for the economic prosperity of their mother land.

On Sep 7, Prime Minister Imran Khan had urged the overseas Pakistanis to donate generously for construction of dams in Pakistan to avert the looming water crisis.

The PM urged the Pakistanis working abroad to donate at least 1000 dollars to the dam fund so that the water reservoirs could be constructed within time and within the estimated cost.

“Our debt today stands at 30,000 billion. But one of our biggest issues today is the looming water crisis. When Pakistan was created; every Pakistani had 5600 cubic-metres of water. Today that stands at only 1000 cubic-metres,” said the PM.

https://timesofislamabad.com/11-Sep...f-overseas-pakistanis-launch-a-new-initiative

23. Del

Del Whispering Death

Dec 21, 2016
  24. Del

Del Whispering Death

Dec 21, 2016
  25. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Looted wealth of Pakistan.

26. Del

Del Whispering Death

Dec 21, 2016
  27. Del

Del Whispering Death

Dec 21, 2016
    At least he has returned something, unlike the other culprits, Mr.10% and Sir Godfather.

28. Del

Del Whispering Death

Dec 21, 2016
  29. saiyan0321

saiyan0321 Whispering Death

Oct 5, 2014
    Ummm.

We need 14 billion DOLLARS and have so far collected 3 billion RUPEES.

So 14 billion is basically 14000 million now the pkr to dollar it would be.

In rupees we need nearly 173 billion.

So in percentage we have completed a target of 1.73% with the rest remaining...

We can start construction and maybe cut a cost here and cut a cost there but we need help internationally somewhere to bring in a few billions to inject in this dam and this is the problem. pm is in Arabia today so maybe some help from there. We need dams but we have no money to build...

Neither overseas nor resident pakistanis can give that much.

@ASLI-PATHAN @Passionate Pakistani @Munna @Red Devil

30. saiyan0321

Oct 5, 2014

Sorry my calculation is quite wrong..

Thats 1730 billion rupees.

Which means that 3 billion from 1730 billion. Which in percentagr would be 0.173% completion...

@Red Devil bro. We need the Chinese and Arabs here... :p :p

What do you think? Land was procured during N era and the issues concerning tribes were also solved put and initial ground work and by ground work I lean rollers on the field were done...

31. saiyan0321

Oct 5, 2014
    And Let's not forget that of the 3 billion 1 billion was given by the army from the pay cheques of our military men. W

32. Red Devil

Red Devil Whispering Death

Dec 15, 2013
    Yeah bro we need trillions of rupees, there's no way you can raise even half of that through charity. And we're not even taking cost escalations into consideration here.

I think the govt is just using these donations as a much-needed revenue stream. We'll definitely need some sort of foreign aid if we are to complete this project on time.

33. Del

Del Whispering Death

Dec 21, 2016
    How about expedite the process to bring back looted money and stop money laundering, which occurs today as we speak?

There is not point in keeping people like Nawaz, Ahad Cheema, Fawad Hassan, Sharjeel Memon and others behind bars - it wouldn't do any good. We need to recover money from these filths ASAP.

Once we recover looted money then we can ask for help from Saudis or China.

34. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
    So 9 billion, as it stands, and we needed 1730 billion. I'm sure that's a huuuuuuuge life changing amount.

35. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    This 9 billion will also go to the pocket of someone else in the end. Dams are not built by charities. It needs proper planning and huge funds.

36. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    I wonder what happened to this fund?

37. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    Supreme court is in negotiation with Malik Riaz, we will probably see billions of rupees added to this fund soon. So far Malik Riaz has offered 350 billion rupees. Estimated it will go up to 550 to 750 billion