[PSL] Islamabad United Fans Thread

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Desi_Joker, Dec 21, 2015.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. XYZ

XYZ Banned

Sep 11, 2013
    I know, ODI team hit new highs under him! :p

2. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    @Red Devil is it confirmed that they have only retained

Misbah, Watson and Russell :fp

3. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Islamabad FTW along with Quetta of course

Lahore are looking really good this time around

4. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 18, 2012
    Squad looking like a lot of the same as last year. Hope Russell can fire more often with the bat this season and Misbah can show that he can still play the young man's game (T20's)

5. Desi_Joker

Jun 18, 2012
    I seriously hope we can snap up Babar again.

6. Red Devil

Red Devil Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Dec 15, 2013
    Sharjeel too

7. Chishti

Chishti Formerly 'Winsome'

Jan 27, 2012
    Ahh you won't understand his importance for Pak. For ISLU and for me.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using Tapatalk.

8. Chishti

Jan 27, 2012
    Irfan, Sami and Badree too retained :clap

9. Chishti

Jan 27, 2012
    [​IMG]

10. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    IMG_7301.JPG

IMG_7306.JPG

IMG_7311.JPG

IMG_7323.JPG

IMG_7328.JPG

IMG_7333.JPG

IMG_7337.JPG

IMG_7348.JPG

IMG_7353.JPG

IMG_7355.JPG

IMG_7367.JPG

IMG_7366.JPG

IMG_7385.JPG

IMG_7386.JPG

IMG_7387.JPG

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  11. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    IMG_7316.JPG

IMG_7342.JPG

IMG_7344.JPG

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  12. Desi_Joker

Jun 18, 2012
    [​IMG]

Final squad for Islamabad United for the PSL 2.

Not too sure how well the likes of Haddin, Watson, Ajmal and Misbah will fare given they don't really play as much of the shorter format anymore.

Also gutted that we lost Babar to Karachi, but we weren't using him properly anyways.

13. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    we got Ben Duckett so I don't mind

waise same team, I like it. Give the feel of a real club

14. Desi_Joker

Jun 18, 2012
    I think we should look to integrate Sam Billings as the first choice keeper with Haddin coaching him.

15. maddgenius

maddgenius Fantasy Draft Wins: 4

Oct 6, 2014
    Too many budhaas in the squad for my liking

16. maddgenius

maddgenius Fantasy Draft Wins: 4

Oct 6, 2014
    I'd play the following playing XI:

Sharjeel
    Watson
    Khalid Latif
    Duckett
    Misbah
    Billings
    Russel
    Ammad Butt/Shadab
    Imran Khalid/Zohaib Khan
    Sami
    Ajmal

17. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    Isn't Imran Khalid in the overseas category ?

18. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Islamabad United launch a coffee-table book in Dubai

The inaugural Pakistan Super League champions Islamabad United on Wednesday launched a coffee-table book in Dubai that chronicles their 'journey into the unknown'.

The book, titled United We Won - The Journey To The Shooting Star, covers the story of the team from its formation in 2015 to its success in February 2016. It includes over 500 exclusive photos from the PSL and essays from Dean Jones and the owners about their experiences in the landmark tournament in Pakistan's cricket history.

The PSL chairman Najam Sethi, team mentor Wasim Akram and players - Mohammad Irfan, Sharjeel Khan, Saeed Ajmal, Khalid Latif and Mohammad Sami attended the book launch.

Islamabad captain Misbah-ul-Haq is in Dubai but failed to turn up for the event. Islamabad team owner Ali Naqvi made light of his absence saying that Pakistan's batting performance in the second innings against West Indies has forced Misbah to opt for some extra practice.

Addressing the ceremony, Naqvi said: "It was a journey into the unknown and we followed the basic rules of the business. We hired the best ones in the form of Wasim, Misbah and Dean Jones and let them execute their plans.

"We lost two early matches and were written off, but the team did not panic. The conducive atmosphere in the dressing room helped the team gel and we eventually lifted the inaugural PSL trophy. We tried to document this journey in a form of a book."
    One of the stars of the 2016 event Sharjeel said: "The PSL has brought a sea change in my career. It has provided me a chance to stage a comeback to the national side.

"On the very first day at the nets, coach Dino told me 'I have never seen such a fierce hitter in Pakistan cricket' and that boosted my confidence. The presence of legends like Wasim and Tauseef Ahmed made a huge impact."

Khalid Latif was another success story in the tournament. While telling his rags-to-riches story Khalid said, "I am thankful to the PSL for reviving my career. I have been consistent performer at the domestic circle for quite some time but did not get call even for A side.

"One day I was walking in the park nearby my home and I got a call from Tauseef that I may be picked up for Islamabad United. After the call my walk transformed into running and I kept on jogging to celebrate the news."

"My performance in the PSL has helped me to break into Twenty20 team and now I hope to play one-dayers for my country," he added.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/islamabads-united-journey-to-success

19. Pakistan97

Pakistan97 Tracer Bullet

Sep 7, 2010
    Nope.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

20. Pakistan97

Pakistan97 Tracer Bullet

Sep 7, 2010
    Pretty much the same squad which is good. As @Desi_Joker said Islo should keep Billings as their main keeper with Haddin helping him. Hopefully they will also give some chance to youngster this time.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G930F mit Tapatalk

21. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Islamabad United have decided to retain their West Indian all-rounder Andre Russell in their team though Russell awaits clearance after his doping case hearing. A verdict is expected within the next fortnight, it appended.

If banned, Islamabad United would be given the option to immediately replace Russell, the PCB said.

22. Desi_Joker

Jun 18, 2012
    Losing Russell will be a massive loss. Great in all 3 aspects of the game: Batting, bowling and fielding.

23. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Islamabad United participate in Dunya News program Cricket Dewangi

ISLAMABAD (Dunya News) – Spin wizard Saeed Ajmal participated in Dunya News program Cricket Dewangi along with fitness coach Dean Woodford and other players of Islamabad United Sunday.

Islamabad United, defending champions and the team of Dunya News, are practicing hard in the training camp before the second of edition of Pakistan Super League (PSL).

Talking in the program, Saeed Ajmal seemed displeased with current fitness and fielding level of Pakistan players and demanded Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to improve fitness standards in domestic circuit.

Dean Woodford said he is working hard on players’ fitness in the Islamabad United camp. He added that fitness is extremely important in cricket along with talent and skills.

Fast bowler Mohammad Sami said players are in good form and have full potential to defend the title.

http://dunyanews.tv/en/Cricket/372672-Islamabad-United-participate-in-Dunya-News-program

24. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Finn replaces Russell after doping-code violation

KARACHI: Pakistan Super League (PSL) franchise Islamabad United has signed up with the English fast bowler Steven Finn for the season 2017 as replacement of West Indian Andre Russell in the squad after Russell was ruled out after being banned from all type of cricket for one year.

Andre Russell was found guilty of failing to file his whereabouts three times in the calendar year 2015. Under the WADA code three misses in one year amount to a single failed dope test, subsequently, Russell has been banned from cricket for the period January 31, 2017, to January 30, 2018.

Former captain and Director Cricket of Islamabad United Wasim Akram expressed disappointment at losing the services of Andre Russell but added that Finn looked the best replacement for Andre.

"I've known Andre for a while, from his Kolkata Knight Riders days to our work together here. I'm disappointed in the decision that means he will miss PSL 2,” Wasim said.

"Obviously there will be some who will question why we've replaced an all-rounder with a genuine fast bowler, but having done the numbers, and having looked at the makeup of our squad he's a great alternative to have for Andre,” the former Pakistan captain said.

Wasim Akram added that Finn’s experience of playing in Asian condition would help the franchise and said that he’s looking forward to work with the new inclusion.

“His record in Asia, particularly, stood out to us, and if he replicates that form during the PSL I'm sure he'll play a major part in our successes this year. I look forward to working with him,” he said on the signing of Steven Fin.

Finn joins Ben Duckett, Zohaib Khan, Shadab Khan and Syed Muzammil Shah as new signings for the franchise, further strengthening a squad that won the inaugural PSL.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/129600-Finn-replaces-Russell-after-doping-code-violation

25. Desi_Joker

Jun 18, 2012
    So we have replaced a genuine all-rounder with a bowler who can't really bat that well... should've looked to sign someone like Liam Plunkett.

26. Red Devil

Red Devil Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Dec 15, 2013
  27. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    @Desi_Joker Finn is way better when it comes to bowling, especially his economy rate is good, Plunkett is a pseudo all rounder.

28. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    Has Billings been retained ?

29. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    What if Islamabad wins again? Ha ha.

30. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    THE BIG DOGS are here, WE CAN and WE WILL

Believe That, Believe in the United

PS: Anyone but you Karachi, Anyone but you

31. Ahson8

Ahson8 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 9, 2012
    Lol Islamabad anthem got so much criticism, they took it off from FB / Twitter

32. Desi_Joker

Jun 18, 2012
    Did they come up with a new one? The one from last season was quite decent tbh.

33. Ahson8

Jun 9, 2012

34. Desi_Joker

Jun 18, 2012
    Oh God... that is absolutely horrible. This woman has had her moment in the limelight with the Afreen song, no need to force her down everyone's throats when you already have a great anthem from season 1.

35. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
  36. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    Whats the point of these anthems ? if u cant find a good one, no need to have one just for the sake of one.

37. Ahson8

Jun 9, 2012
    lol bit of an overreaction tbh.

38. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    ha ha lol :D

39. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Islamabad United to do well again, hopes Misbah

KARACHI: Misbah-ul-Haq, the skipper of holders Islamabad United, wants his charges to repeat their performance of the first edition of the Pakistan Super League (PSL).

“”We have a well-settled combination and we are looking forward to continue doing what we did in the last PSL,” Misbah said at a news conference at the trophy unveiling ceremony in Dubai on Monday.

Islamabad United had not been the best in the first phase of the event, but they gradually raised their performance and won the title by beating Quetta Gladiators in the final.

Misbah said that they knew about their weak and strong points. “Our strong point is that we have almost got the same team which played in the last PSL,” said Misbah, also Pakistan’s Test skipper.

“After winning the first edition, the team is confident. The players know their role and we want to start from where we had left — especially the way we played our last three or four matches,” Misbah added.

To a query, Misbah said that the conditions would definitely help Pakistani players. “Players of Pakistan team know the conditions here in the UAE better,” the skipper said.

However, he was quick to add that the foreign players could also perform well as the wickets in the UAE were always flat. “I think Darren Sammy, Brendon McCullum and Kumar Sangakkara also know the conditions. But I would say that players of Pakistan have a little bit of advantage,” Misbah said.

The opening game of the event will be held between Islamabad United and Peshawar Zalmi soon after the opening ceremony at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium on Thursday. The match will begin at 9pm.

Out of the 24 matches, only six will begin at 4:30pm PST. The rest will start at 9pm PST.

Karachi Kings skipper Kumar Sangakkara was also hopeful about his team. “I am in a new franchise this year. I believe my team is strong both in terms of international and local players. We have a fine blend of seniors and youth and they are very excited,” Sangakkara said.

“We have good players and great people around who want you to play exciting cricket. And I am confident that the players will be able to live up to the expectations,” the former Sri Lankan skipper said.

Peshawar Zalmi’s captain Darren Sammy said it would be important for his players to gel in time. “We will try to begin the event on a good note. Let the team gel as quickly as possible,” said Sammy, who tweeted “Pakher Raghlay Zalmi” on his way to Dubai on Sunday.

Sammy, who led West Indies to two world T20 titles, said his players played like a team. “We played together as a team last year and that is our strong point. This year we have some good international and local players and I hope things will go in our favour,” said Sammy, who also runs Darren Sammy Foundation (DSF).

Quetta Gladiators skipper Sarfraz Ahmed was also upbeat. “This year, too, we have some young players and I hope the team will click this time also,” the Test stumper said.

In the last edition, Quetta Gladiators had started as underdogs but reached the final.

Former West Indies skipper Viv Richards will mentor the Gladiators, who are being coached by former Pakistan captain Moin Khan.

Lahore Qalandars’ skipper Brendon McCullum said that they had a strong side. “We have a very strong side. We have good players and I am confident that they will play exciting cricket,” McCullum said. The former New Zealand captain has replaced Azhar Ali as Qalanadars’ skipper.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/184514-Islamabad-United-to-do-well-again-hopes-Misbah

40. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Saeed Ajmal aiming for re-entry onto International stage

The once star bowler of the Pakistan Cricket Team Saeed Ajmal has said he is looking towards making a comeback in international cricket.

The off-spin magician, who is set to appear in the upcoming second edition of the Pakistan Super League, has said he will make his performance in the tournament a cornerstone for his return to the national team. Saeed Ajmal, who will represent defending champions Islamabad United in the tournament was banned by the ICC in April 2014 for his bowling action.

Speaking regarding his team’s chances in the PSL, Ajmal said that Islamabad United had been written off early in the last year’s tournament as well, but that they had managed to use their combination of a number of seasoned campaigners to stay cool under pressure and end up lifting the trophy. The spin bowling wizard also admitted that the loss of fast bowler Andre Russel to doping charges was a big blow for the team, but that they were looking forward to working with his replacement: England fast-bowler Steven Finn, who is an equally formidable sportsman.

Ajmal also stressed on the importance fitness would play in his team’s success, and that he was looking to once again continue his previous partnership with West Indian spinner Samuel Badree.

Saeed Ajmal, who has not appeared in an international fixture since a T-20 match against Bangladesh in 2015, is eligible for selection after having fixed his action and passing tests conducted by the ICC. He continued that he had not been substantially tried out with his new action despite being the leading wicket taker in T-20s and said he had no choice but to prove his worth in the PSL.

http://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2017/02/07/saeed-ajmal-aiming-for-re-entry-onto-international-stage/