[PSL] Islamabad United Fans Thread

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Desi_Joker, Dec 21, 2015.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Sultan of Swing

Sep 12, 2010
    Main reason that everybody knows is Waqar isn’t Pathan

2. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Russell's return ignites Islamabad's title ambitions

Islamabad United
    Squad: Misbah ul Haq (capt), Alex Hales, Asif Ali, JP Duminy, Iftikhar Ahmed, Sahibzada Farhan, Amad Butt, Andre Russell, Faheem Ashraf, Shadab Khan, Hussain Talat, Steven Finn, Sam Billings, Luke Ronchi, Mohammad Hasan, Rohail Nazir, Mohammad Sami, Rumman Raees (vice captain), Samuel Badree, Zafar Gohar, Mohammad Hasnain, Samit Patel, Chadwick Walton.

Best XI: 1. Sahibzada Farhan, 2. Luke Ronchi, 3. Faheem Ashraf, 4. Iftikhar Ahmed, 5. Misbah ul Haq, 6. Andre Russell, 7. Shadab Khan, 8. Samit Patel, 9. Samuel Badree, 10. Rumman Raees, 11. Mohammad Sami.

Coaching staff: Dean Jones (head coach), Waqar Younis (director/mentor), Darren Berry (fielding coach), Saeed Ajmal (spin bowling coach), Tauseef Ahmed (assistant coach), Dean Woodford (trainer), Errol Alcott (physio), Hassan Cheema and Rehan ul Haq (managers)

History
    In the first two seasons of the PSL, Islamabad United touched both extremes. Champions in 2016, they spent the next season embroiled in a spot-fixing scandal, the PCB handing bans to two of their players, Sharjeel Khan and Khalid Latif.

Islamabad started their 2016 campaign with four defeats in their first six matches, but gathered themselves strongly to win five straight games thereafter, including the final. They retained nearly the same bunch of players in 2017, but stumbled as the spot-fixing saga unfolded, and suffered from the absence of Andre Russell, who was serving a one-year doping ban. The side still managed to win four out eight games before being eliminated by Karachi Kings in the playoffs.

This year Islamabad have a refreshed squad with a new director and mentor in Waqar Younis, with Wasim Akram parting ways to join Multan Sultans. Once part of their playing squad, Saeed Ajmal has become their spin-bowling coach. Misbah-ul-Haq, at 43, is still playing and is set to lead the team once more.

Team overview
    Islamabad remain in the experienced hands of Misbah. The team has released Sam Billings, Ben Duckett, Brad Haddin, Mohammad Irfan, Khalid Latif, Sharjeel Khan, Nic Pooran, Shane Watson, Zohaib Khan, Dwayne Smith and Rafatullah. Rumman Raees has been elevated to vice-captaincy and made an ambassador. Islamabad have also brought in Iftikhar Ahmed from Peshawar Zalmi in exchange for their supplementary pick in second round of the draft. During the replacement draft, they picked up Samit Patel as cover for Asela Gunaratne - who was originally meant to replace JP Duminy. Wicketkeeper-batsman Chadwick Walton has been brought in to fill in for Sam Billings.

Strengths
    The return of Russell gives Islamabad a deadly weapon in the middle order, with Faheem Ashraf providing a similar set of all-round skills. The two give the side balance and plenty of depth, and on their day Islamabad can pile up massive totals. With Shadab Khan, Samuel Badree, Iftikhar Ahmed and Samit Patel, the spin-bowling department has plenty of variety.

Hussain Talat and Sahibzada Farhan have made solid progress towards getting into contention for national selection.

Talat, 22, hails from Lahore and has been in the circuit since 2013. He has ample experience already, having played 30 first-class games, 41 List A matches and 31 T20s. The left-hand batsman has done particularly well in the white-ball formats, averaging 43.27 in 50-overs cricket and 36.66, with a strike rate of 121.14, in T20s.

The 21-year-old Farhan doesn't have as much experience, but he grabbed plenty of attention last year with his attractive hundred in the final of the Pakistan Cup. He has been in good form since then, scoring another List A hundred, this time in the Regional One-Day Cup, for Peshawar against Lahore Whites.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_...turn-ignites-islamabad-united-title-ambitions

3. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Cornered Tiger

Aug 31, 2011
    If Ifthikar and Sahibzada play will want them to do well. Otherwise hope they lose. Probably most annoying fanbase along with our own lol

4. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Zalmi fan base is EASILY #1 in this regard lmao

Get out of my team thread, we dont want any support of people like you. Spreading your ethnic fascist tentacles everywhere, jeez

5. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Winner of FIFA World Cup '18 Prediction Contest

Apr 26, 2011
    OYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. MNA

MNA Talented

Mar 11, 2015
    Misbah-ul-Haq was the greatest batsman ever, really, lol @Mohsin

7. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Aap bhi bahir nikal jaao janaab. Madina-e-Auwlia wali team is beating you tomorrow anyway :shrug

8. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Ive never said this, why are you tagging me lol

9. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Ye moun aur masoor ki daal!

10. MNA

MNA Talented

Mar 11, 2015
    what? you said it in private!

11. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Jee ka jaana theher gaya, subh gaya ya shaam!

12. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Ah yes i remember...i said it just after you told me how Faisal Iqbal was treated very unfairly and is better than Miandad.

13. MNA

MNA Talented

Mar 11, 2015

lol i said those things about Shaan Masood when you said Umar Amin was the best upcoming young batsman for last ten years!

bhool gaye?

14. Patriot

Patriot Sultan of Swing

Oct 8, 2014
  15. Patriot

Patriot Sultan of Swing

Oct 8, 2014
  16. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Islamabad United’s Andre Russell ready and raring to go

DUBAI: West Indian all-rounder Andre Russell cannot wait to return to action for Islamabad United in the third edition of the Pakistan Super League beginning from today.

Russell, who is back with United after serving a year-long doping ban, admitted it was hard to watch his team play in last year’s PSL without being able to take part in the action.

[​IMG]
    Andre Russell

“It was very hard to watch the matches, not injured, fully fit but unable to play,” he said.

“I’ve been watching a lot of cricket since, I’ve learned a lot, I got to understand a lot of cricket. I got to analyse the game more, by watching from the outside,” he added, as he spoke about his contribution for Jamaica in a recent tournament.

“I always look to get wickets, make a lot of runs. If I take a brilliant catch in the field or make an [outstanding] runout, that’s a bonus.”

Russell was part of the Islamabad United squad that lifted the inaugural PSL trophy in 2016. In the second edition, the team still managed to win four out of eight games before being eliminated by Karachi Kings in the playoffs.

This year Islamabad United have a new-look squad, with a new director and mentor in Waqar Younis, after Wasim Akram parted ways to join Multan Sultans. Misbah-ul-Haq, at 43, is all set to lead the team again.

https://www.geo.tv//psl/latest/183128-islamabad-uniteds-andre-russell-ready-and-raring-to-go

17. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010

Even have diplomatic support MA

18. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
  19. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Russell returning with ‘a mature mind’

DUBAI: Back after a year’s absence, West Indies all-rounder Andre Russell feels that he is returning to top level cricket with a much mature frame of mind.

Russell, who played a lead role in bringing the opening Pakistan Super League edition trophy to Islamabad United, rejoined the team on Friday after serving a one-year ban for violating ICC whereabouts clause.

“It has been really tough. Watching the game when you are fit and still you cannot play had been a strange feeling. The lost time, however, has given me maturity. And now I feel and realise that I can offer more to the game of cricket to what I gave in the past.”

He added that he did not lose heart during the ban which started in January 2017 and kept on playing and training privately.“I did not lose heart and did all I can with the help of bowling machine and amateur cricketers to keep myself ready and best of groove.”

The hard hitting Russell said he learnt more about the game as a spectator. “Some time the best players are spectators and that is the reason I learnt more about the game as a spectator. Now I feel that staying at the wicket is as important as hitting the ball. I hope that this new understanding of the game would help me more in future.”

Russell said since he had played as an all-rounder his efforts would be to contribute in all departments. “My hunger for big scores, wickets and even holding good catches has grown. So what I want is to contribute in all these departments.”

Meanwhile, the curtain raiser of the PSL’s third edition Thursday night cleared all the doubts if there were any about this rapidly growing and glowing image of one of the youngest of the T20 leagues around.

Abida Parveen mystical voice backed by glitz and glamour spearheaded by none other than Ali Zafar gave a resounding opening to a month-long event.The opening ceremony was a fine combination of laser lights, mystic voice and modern dancing. A model descended with the PSL trophy that was later handed over to Zalmi’s captain Darren Sammy marked the opening and then it followed by fanfare using the most modern techniques of laser lighting. It all was capped with enthralling and entertaining firework that lit up Dubai skies.

The wonderful opening ceremony left no doubts in the mind of viewers on the ground and around the world that the PSL has already emerged as the front-runners in the T20 leagues. The perfect start of the third edition and a hope that one day we would see the same in Lahore or Karachi infused more interest for those who travel all the way from Pakistan to become part of the ceremony.

“I have not missed even a single opening ceremony during the last three years. What I want is to see the same fanfare in Lahore or Multan. I am eager to watch the next year opening ceremony in Pakistan,” said Ch Zulfiqar Ali Anjum, who travelled from Multan with his son to watch the opening ceremony.The top businessman of Multan was also accompanied by over 200 people who he called his business stakeholders.“I charted the entire plane from Multan to Dubai and brought with me my distributors to watch the first part of the PSL,” Zulfiqar added.

Zulfiqar was not alone here from Pakistan at Dubai International Stadium but many well-known faces from media, film industry and sports reached here for the occasion only. Nearly entire Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) was here to watch the curtain raiser of the third edition.

“In all definitions, it was an impressive opening which had everything for everyone. Laser light show and its impact on the entire atmosphere backed by excellent performance by artists made it a worth remembering occasion,” said Shakil Shaikh, who is the head of Islamabad Region Cricket and advisor to PCB chairman Najam Sethi.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/285074-russell-returning-with-a-mature-mind

20. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Dean Jones terms United's performance as 'rusty'

DUBAI; The head coach of PSL team Islamabad United, Dean Jones, has termed his side’s performance against Peshawar Zalmi on Saturday as “rusty” after Islamabad lost the game by 34 runs.

Talking to media in Dubai after the defeat, Jones – the former Australian batsman – said this was the worst ever performance by the team in three seasons of PSL.

"Rusty. I’m keeping it clean. As is everyone. This is the worst performance Islamabad has displayed in three PSLs,” said the former Australian batsman.

"It can only go upwards. We didn’t bowl well. They took their chances, Akmal played really well. We didn’t hit our defensive lines and lengths early,” he added.

The 56-year-old added that the game went away from his team after losing four wickets for 25 runs in four overs of the game. But he also hoped that United will make a comeback.

"We had our simulations and they reached them. I don’t know where this performance has come from, I really don’t. It’s a question I’m going to ask this team in 30 minutes time,” he said.

"We are normally not the greatest starters in the world. We take a while to get ourselves ready and wound up. But I remind you, it is not what you do at the start, it is what you do at the end,” Jones aimed.

"I have enough coaches to throw balls. I think it’s a prestigious position. It is an honour and a privilege to coach this team. I like wearing suits, I don’t like wearing tracksuits,” he said when a journalist asked what’s the mantra behind his style.

"I think I’m better looking in a suit. It is something we looked at, and I’m just trying to improve the image of being the head coach of Islamabad,” said the 56-year-old former Australia cricketer.

Replying to another question, he said that the regular captain Misbah ul Haq has a slight hamstring strain and they’re trying to preserve him.

"Misbah has a slight hamstring [strain]. We are just a little concerned with it, but it is more [a case of] prevention,” he said.

"When you pull a hamstring, it is a different story. If it was later in the tournament and we needed to get some wins, we’d have played him, but it is a bit early for him,” he said.

“It was Rumman’s first time as captain. He was thrown into the fire, and it is a difficult job, T20 cricket. We weren’t good in the first 10 overs." He concluded.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/183542-dean-jones-terms-uniteds-performance-as-rusty

21. Patriot

Patriot Sultan of Swing

Oct 8, 2014
  22. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
  23. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    YES!

Batting automatically looks A LOT stronger with JP joining us.

Will be better when Billings returns

24. Patriot

Patriot Sultan of Swing

Oct 8, 2014
    how many International can a team have ? looks like Finn will have to go

25. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    No Ronchi get get lost. Walton keeps.

26. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
  27. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Sultan of Swing

Sep 12, 2010
    Good addition to this team. Islamabad looking good

28. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    [​IMG]

29. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
  30. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Smooth Operator

Jul 17, 2017
    Wasn’t Islamabad the “Strongest” on paper.

Two Bandar teams, Lahore and Islamabad.

31. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Tracer Bullet

Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  32. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    Hahahahaha

They wouldnt have scored 100 today if ronchi wasnt there

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

33. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Severity of Rumman's injury to be known after MRI, says Jones

[​IMG]

SHARJAH: Islamabad United Coach Dean Jones said on Wednesday that the severity of fast bowler Rumman Raees’ knee-injury will be known after the MRI scan result.

Raees was taken off the ground in the match against Quetta Gladiators when his right-leg knee stuck on the ground while saving a boundary. The fast bowler was taken out on a stretcher.

Responding to a question, a visibly perturbed, Jones said: “We are hopeful that the initial tests are good. I had a knee reconstruction, I know what it is like,” adding, “The kid is a fantastic kid. I hope he will be alright.”

The United’s coach said that he ran across at the field to see Raees as he remembers ‘Simon Jones situation that happened at the Gabba’.

“The MRI is very important because once the guy knows that you haven’t torn the ACL then psychologically all of a sudden you fasten up. The great thing about MRI is that you find out pretty well straight away. So we will find out later on tonight,” he said.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/184213-severity-of-rummans-injury-will-be-known-after-mri-results

34. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    I hope to God its not serious.

35. Red Devil

Red Devil Smooth Operator

Dec 15, 2013
    The batting order is all wrong, the selection is even worse. Some absolutely baffling descions by the management.

Why is Asif Ali even in the line up, and if you really have to play that jobber, why's he batting at #3? Like what the hell.

Why is Talat batting so low when he isn't really a power hitter?

Why is Farhan not a regular part of the team? They keep chopping and changing after every game, give the guy a proper run ffs.

36. Patriot

Patriot Sultan of Swing

Oct 8, 2014
  37. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Jump the ship. Quickly!

38. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    All they had to go is slot Misbah into the team for Asif Ali. Thats the ONLY change they need from the game against Multan.

Management at Islamabad is crazy.

39. Patriot

Patriot Sultan of Swing

Oct 8, 2014
    never. through think and thin I'm with my team

I'm not PP and @Ahson8

40. Patriot

Patriot Sultan of Swing

Oct 8, 2014
    though Peshawar is my 2nd favorite team in PSL @ASLI-PATHAN