[PSL] Islamabad United Fans Thread

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Desi_Joker, Dec 21, 2015.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Rumman Raees’ injury not as serious as feared: sources

Team physio examines Rumman Raees' leg

SHARJAH: The knee injury sustained by Islamabad United bowler Rumman Raees is not as serious as initially feared, sources privy to the matter said on Thursday.

Raees had to be stretchered off the ground during the match against Quetta Gladiators Wednesday night, after his right-leg knee stuck on the ground while saving a boundary.

According to sources, Rumman’s scan results turned out to be encouraging. The results indicate that the injury is not of a serious nature and his ligament is safe.

The 26-year-old bowler will be rested for a couple of matches to allow him time to recover, the sources added.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/184319-rumman-raees-injury-not-as-serious-as-feared-sources

2. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Thank God

But Islamabad are still screwed, will probably lose tomorrow lol

3. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    اسلام آباد کا نیا اِئیرپورٹ چند ہی دنوں میں کھل رہا ہے ، اگر اسلام آباد کی یہی پرفارمنس رہی تو لگتا ہے کہ اسلام آباد کی اپنی ٹیم ہی سب سے پہلے اسلام آباد ائیرپورٹ پر لینڈ کریگی۔

:smh

4. Red Devil

Red Devil Smooth Operator

Dec 15, 2013
    Pure class, how can you not like this team.

5. Patriot

Patriot Sultan of Swing

Oct 8, 2014
    Karachi team also stopped bus mid journey yesterday

For Pan lolololololol

6. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Wily old fox Sami still has it in him

SHARJAH - That wily old fox was at it again. He may be 37 but Mohammad Sami is still fit as a fiddle and showed he still has it in him.

The medium pacer snapped up three wickets, including two in the last over to turn a game Islamabad United were losing against the Lahore Qalandars. The man from Karachi nudged it into a Super Over, the Pakistan Super League's first, and then made a telling blow in the one-over eliminator as well.

And after Islamabad United won the face-off against the Qalandars at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium late into the night, Sami said that he had been part of quite a few matches like this and was delighted to end up on the winning side. "I've been a part of quite a few matches like this but we managed to win this one and I'm quite happy about it," said Sami .

Sami said that the key was to not get bogged down by the pressure and just concentrate on bowling the next ball. "The thinking was such that and even the coaching staff said that even if it was a good ball or a bad ball, just concentrate on the next ball," he said. "We had lost two matches and even tonight (Friday), we didn't have such a big total. But during the break, the coaching staff gave us confidence and said that with the bowling strength that we have, we could defend the total. So, we put in the effort and left the rest to God. And it worked out well in the end," added Sami .

Islamabad United notched their second victory from four fixtures but Sami said that the team were not getting carried away and were just taking it one game at a time.

"The final is still a long way away but considering the rhythm that we have got, we will try to focus on doing well in the next match. There are still six matches left and if we start thinking ahead, it would a bit of a problem. So, we will take it match by match," Sami said.

Sami also said that his love and passion for cricket is what has kept him going. "I still loving playing cricket and I keep working on my fitness and want to stay fit," he said. The bowler further said he was satisfied to be taking wickets once again adding that luck wasn’t favouring him in earlier matches despite bowling well.

“I am very very happy and very proud of my performance. I didn’t get a lot of wickets in earlier matches; I believe I wasn’t bowling that bad but luck wasn’t favouring me,” he concluded.

https://nation.com.pk/05-Mar-2018/wily-old-fox-sami-still-has-it-in-him

7. Patriot

Patriot Sultan of Swing

Oct 8, 2014
    United stealing @Munna bhai's jokes

8. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Reports: Islamabad United’s Andre Russell out of PSL

DUBAI: West Indian all-rounder Andre Russell is out of Pakistan Super League (PSL) after suffering a freak hamstring injury which needs at least two weeks’ rest, sources said Tuesday.

The 29-year-old all-rounder had to leave the field after suffering a hamstring injury while fielding in the match against Karachi Kings at Sharjah on Sunday and was unable to bowl and bat in the match.

He is likely to recover from the injury in time to play for Kolkatta Knight Riders after he was retained by the franchise. The IPL starts on April 7.

Russell , who missed last year’s PSL due to a ban on doping whereabouts clause, had managed four wickets in the three games and had scores of 11, nought and 15. His best contribution came in the Super over against Lahore when he hit a six off the last ball.

Islamabad United vice captain Rumman Raees is also sidelined with a leg injury and will not be available for Thursday’s game against Lahore Qalandars in Dubai.

Skipper Misbah-ul-Haq was also carrying a hamstring injury as he missed the first two matches while leg-spinner Shadab Khan is also carrying niggles, mainly elbow problem.

https://arynews.tv/en/islamabad-uniteds-andre-russell-psl/

9. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    lol things just get better and better

10. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    They crack that joke in the morning and the player is ruled out of the tournament by evening... that's what happens when you try to be as cool as that guy @Munna

11. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Smooth Operator

Jul 17, 2017
    It’s so annoying it’s it.

Last years PSL was so good, Close Matches, Good crowd, not many injuries, good competition.

But the fatty Sharjeel ruined it.

12. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
    Is there any news of any replacements for any of the injuries so far?

13. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    ‘There’s definitely a good chance of it’, says Duminy on visit to Pakistan

[​IMG]

DUBAI: South African cricketer Jean-Paul Duminy hinted that he will visit Pakistan if his team Islamabad United qualifies for the Pakistan-stage of the tournament later this month.

Talking exclusively to Geo.tv in Dubai on sidelines of Islamabad’s training session, the 33-year old all-rounder said that Pakistan is very passionate about cricket and he would consider if there’s an opportunity for him to visit Pakistan.

“There’s definitely a good chance of it,” JP Duminy responded when this correspondent asked him if he would visit Pakistan for eliminators or the final of Pakistan Super League in Lahore and Karachi.

“Pakistan is very passionate country and they love the cricket. If there is an opportunity then there’s definitely a consideration for it,” he said.

The veteran of 184 ODIs and 76 T20Is hailed the standards of competition in Pakistan Super League and termed the competition as “as good as IPL” – the only foreign league where he has participated.

“Something that I have noticed in the competition is that the standard of cricket is very high. It’s a tough competition. It is always good to play good cricket,” he commented while talking about the level of competition in the PSL where he’s representing Islamabad United franchise.

“You have quite a high standard of international cricketers, both in Pakistan and international cricketers. With that in mind, your standard of cricket is always going to be high,” he said while adding that learning from the way international players train themselves for the games would definitely boost them.

Replying to a question, JP said that his team has gained the momentum at the right time and it is important for them to continue the winning streak in the second phase of round-robin stage of PSL 2018.

“It is important when you win back to back, its important for us to play well in upcoming matches, its second round of round-robin,” he said.

“Experience of being in PSL is very good so far, with me being here we have won two out of three games, back to back wins always give your team a lot of confidence. We are looking forward to the rest of the tournament,” Duminy concluded.

https://www.geo.tv/psl/latest/18517...chance-of-it-says-duminy-on-visit-to-pakistan

14. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Good man JP, lets hope he'll have the chance to come to Pakistan.

15. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    PSL must be fully held in Pakistan next year: Waqar

Dubai: Waqar Younis, the legendary Pakistan paceman, feels that Pakistan Super League (PSL) should be completely held in Pakistan from next year.

Speaking to Gulf News, Younis, who is here as director and bowling coach of the Islamabad United team, said: “Things have definitely improved in Pakistan and hopefully PSL should be going back to Pakistan by next year. This year, we are already staging a few games there.”

[​IMG]
    Younis, a former coach of Pakistan national team, is enjoying his new coaching role.

When asked as to how different is coaching a Twenty20 league team from a national team, Younis said: “Of course different, probably less pressure because it gives me a bit more time to work with the youngsters and also get to know the PSL. It is very enjoyable and also PSL is getting better.”

Younis is now guiding cricketers from different countries, players who are experts in Twenty20 format. “It is good fun. It is easier because they are all very professional. They all get paid heavily, they come here to do the job and our job is to get the best out of them.

“There is less pressure coaching a league team because there are lot of overseas players and you know they are good enough and they know how to do their job. Most overseas players that come here play only T20 cricket. They play around the world, they know their job they know their roles, so it is easy. When we coach an international side or Pakistan or any other country, I think there is lot more pressure from the nation, the cricket board and media.”

Interestingly, Younis has even played with some of the star cricketers in this league. “I have played with most of them and I know them. I have also been in the coaching circuit for long now. I have worked in the different leagues and hence I don’t see any problem with it. You have to comfort them at times and you got to push them at times. There are things we need to do to get the best out of them,” said Younis, who is also among the best commentators in the world.

Asked about the impact of PSL on Pakistan cricket, he said: “From the Twenty20 cricket point of you it is good. We have seen some youngsters coming through this event. But when you look at the longer version or One Day International format, I think we are behind when compared with other teams around the world.

“This can be only be fixed either by having a PSL of 50-over cricket where all the international cricketers come and play or they must fix their domestic first class cricket. I think first class cricket need to be looked into seriously. It is all goody when PSL happens and we all enjoy it and we see the talent coming through but the domestic first class should also improve if you need to improve your One day and Test match performances.”

Injuries to key players have hit Islamabad team but Younis do not want to worry over it. “Injuries are bound to happen because it is a very fast flowing game and so injuries are bound to be there. Franchises carry more players and each team have 21 players, so there will always be a replacement for every spot. I don’t think we are going to suffer that much. Rumman Raees and Andre Russell, they were the main players we have lost but still we are hopeful that the boys who haven’t played are waiting for their turns and I am sure they will deliver.”

Talking about Islamabad as a squad, Younis said: “I have a wonderful team, not only the playing eleven even but the support staff and management too. I think we are blessed with very good people as owners of this franchise. Though they have won PSL only once and they don’t interfere with the team.”

http://gulfnews.com/sport/cricket/p...ly-held-in-pakistan-next-year-waqar-1.2184122

16. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Ronchi ready to play in Pakistan

Luke Ronchi has confirmed that he will travel with Islamabad United to Pakistan if the team made the Playoffs.

Speaking to the media after playing a match-winning 77 in Islamabad's six-wicket win over Lahore Qalandars in the HBL Pakistan Super League at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium on Wednesday, the New Zealander, replying to a question on whether he would travel to that country, without any hesitation, said 'yes, yes, yes'.

Ronchi has struck a purple patch during this third edition of the tournament where he has two fastest half centuries to his name.

Speaking about his consistency, he said: "Well I just try to have a clear mind. If I get muddled up in my head or if I have negative thoughts going through my head my performance is not as good as it should be and I think it's with most players."

Ronchi felt the biggest thing about the PSL is the guys you have never heard of before come and bowl at 140kph and whack the balls miles away.

"The skill level is very good. It's been a brilliant tournament," he said.

Misbah-ul-Haq praised Ronchi. "It becomes easy with Ronchi playing that way," said the Islamabad skipper.

https://m.khaleejtimes.com/ronchi-ready-to-play-in-pakistan

17. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Excellent

Ronchi seems a good shareef guy, after seeing his post match interview today.

18. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
  19. Patriot

Patriot Sultan of Swing

Oct 8, 2014
    I wanted Ronchi out but he turned around his form since Misbah took over as captain

20. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010

Misbah is finished, should retire blah blah blah...yh ok

21. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Patel says will visit Pakistan if United qualify

[​IMG]

DUBAI: Islamabad United spinner Samit Patel confirmed on Saturday that he will be visiting Pakistan if the Islamabad United qualify for eliminators stage.

Speaking to Geo.tv, he said : “Absolutely, I will be going to Lahore and Karachi if we qualify. I am looking forward to that. I am sure the guys are looking forward to play there. I was unfortunate to not be there with Zalmi last year, the overseas guy say that it was a good trip. I am really looking forward to that trip.”

Patel took four wickets in the match against Peshawar Zalmi on Friday.

Responding to a question, he said that the Misbah-led team is just playing with freedom and every player wants to go score runs and take wickets.

“We are learning. We always say if someone bats through the innings especially in the top-four we know we are going to get top score and we defend the total very well. We got a good bowling attack,” he said.

The former England player affirmed that spinner Zafar Gohar has a good prospect to enter in the Pakistan national squad.

“He bowls lovely on the wicket. Had some assistance, I am sure he will do well,” the spinner said.

Patel called PSL, ‘best in the world’, and appreciated that every franchise playing in the tournament has good seam bowling lineup.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/185662-patel-says-will-visit-pakistan-if-united-qualify

22. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Tracer Bullet

Nov 13, 2015
    If you lose to Multan, you are out. The choice is yours now :D

23. Red Devil

Red Devil Smooth Operator

Dec 15, 2013
    We just need one more win. We can even afford to lose the next two games.

24. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    If you lose to Multan, then we are in trouble. ICC should intervene and eliminate you ha ha, for making way for our elimination.

25. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Ye kon si mathematics chal rahi hai?? :confused:

Maa di siri, gotta get my mind transferred back to my head after last night's game

26. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    This is called theory of wishful thinking :D

27. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
  28. Patriot

Patriot Sultan of Swing

Oct 8, 2014
    I won't exchange username with indian lover

29. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    Is Mohsin an Indian lover?

30. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    No

31. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Alex Hales unwilling to play in Pakistan Super League finals if Islamabad United get through

Alex Hales has decided against playing in the final stages of the Pakistan Super League should his team, Islamabad United, get there.

Hales has linked up with his PSL side in Dubai for their six remaining group games of the tournament after England finished their one day series in New Zealand.

The Nottinghamshire batsman, who hit 61 in the deciding game against the Black Caps, is understood to be uncomfortable playing in Pakistan due to security concerns.

England teammates Eoin Morgan, Jason Roy and Sam Billings have reportedly made the same choice.

Hales, 29, is understood to have been offered an additional payment to play in the final PSL games in Lahore and Karachi, but has turned it down.

The news is the continuation of a hectic few weeks for Hales, who will no longer play first-class cricket after signing a white-ball only contract at Trent Bridge.

He missed out on deals in the Indian Premier League and Caribbean Premier League, although he was never going to get a full CPL deal due to Notts commitments.

The opener could yet go to both tournaments as a replacement player.

Two other Notts batsmen – Samit Patel and Riki Wessels – are currently playing in the CPL with Patel also playing for Islamabad.

Wessels is with Peshawar Zalmi. It is unclear at this stage if they are willing to play in Pakistan given the history of security problems in the country, although the ECB have reportedly signed off on players going there later this month.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport/other-sport/alex-hales-unwilling-play-pakistan-1326919

32. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    The likes of Hales, Billings, Morgan and Roy shouldnt be signed up in the first place.

Just getting free money for half the job. Making a mockery of the league.

33. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Rumaan Raees ruled out of remainder of PSL 2018

Rumman Raees has been ruled out of the remainder Pakistan Super League 2018, it was confirmed on Tuesday (March 13). The Islamabad United pacer suffered a knee injury in the clash against Quetta Gladiators in Sharjah last month and hasn't played since.

"Rumman injured his knee while fielding in Sharjah and will now go through a recovery process back home," PSL clarified via a tweet.

In the 13th over of the match, Raees dived at long-on to stop a boundary but jammed his knee on the ground and was forced off the field. He was stretchered off the field and underwent an MRI.

"We are hopeful that the initial tests are good," Dean Jones, the coach, had said earlier. "The kid is a fantastic kid. I hope he will be alright."

United have already qualified for the next round with five wins from seven games. They hold the second spot behind Quetta Gladiators who have five wins from eight games. They play Multan Sultans on Tuesday before taking on Quetta Gladiators and Karachi Kings in their last two league games on March 15 and 16 respectively.

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-new...mainder-of-pakistan-super-league-2018-cricket

34. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
  35. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Rumor has it our advertising manager has a pulled his groin and one of our other managers has an ACL tear.

We are cursed and we are#theArsenalofPSL

36. Patriot

Patriot Sultan of Swing

Oct 8, 2014
    don't give us buduwa

37. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    United earlier struggled as it was searching for winning formula: Ronchi

SHARJAH: Islamabad United opener Luke Ronchi opined that the Misbahul Haq-led team wasn’t able to win its earlier matches of the tournament as it was searching for a ‘winning formula’.

Islamabad United secured a spot in the Pakistan Super League playoffs after a 33-run win over Multan Sultans in the 25th match of the tournament tonight.

Speaking exclusively to Geo.tv, the United opener expressed his satisfaction by saying: “the entire team is going in the same direction as it is playing good cricket and all are going together to get the results we are after.”

The Kiwi batsman said that the team needed a bit of time at the start of the tournament as it was gelling together.

Responding to a question, Ronchi called the Pakistan Super League, ‘a good competitive competition’. “Every team has got good young players,” he said.

The opener expressed his hope that the team will directly qualify into finals in Karachi and will not play any qualifiers scheduled in Lahore.

“Hopefully we wont be playing in Lahore, we win enough to go straight to the final in Karachi. I guess our own supporters would be keen to see us playing final,” he added.

https://www.geo.tv/psl/latest/18620...s-it-was-searching-for-winning-formula-ronchi

38. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Duminy impressed with PSL standard, agrees to visit Pakistan for play-offs

Veteran batsman JP Duminy confirmed on Wednesday that he will be visiting Pakistan with Islamabad United for the upcoming Pakistan Super League 2018 playoffs and final.

The South African had earlier said there was only "a bit of chance" of him being on a Pakistan-bound flight but has since made up his mind, telling DawnNewsTV: "I will be coming to Pakistan with the Islamabad United squad for the play-offs and the final in Karachi."

Duminy also praised the standard of cricket on display in PSL 2018, linking the Pakistan cricket team's Champions Trophy triumph last year with the T20 league.

“It’s definitely a high standard of cricket," he said. "You have seen the matches, the way they end, I've thoroughly enjoyed the standard.

"It also shows in the success that Pakistan international team had last year. You can see it through the youth that is coming through within this tournament and it is exciting to see, especially for Pakistan."

Like most other internationals, Duminy doesn't play every T20 league under the sun. Other than the PSL, the only other 20-over league he takes part in being the Indian Premier League. While the nascent PSL has some way to go before it can compete with the much more established IPL brand, Duminy says the Pakistan Cricket Board product can certainly be compared favourably with other leagues.

“I have only played in the IPL," he said. "I haven’t played any other leagues around the world so it’s difficult to judge it (the PSL) but so far my experience is that the PSL is one of the better leagues in terms of standard of cricket and organisation around it."

At United, Duminy gets to share the dressing room with Islamabad's super experienced captain Misbah-ul-Haq, whose unique brand of captaincy has impressed the Cape Town native.

"He is a great leader and we definitely missed him in the first few games that he missed because of his injury," said Duminy. "He is the type of guy who leads from the front.

“Misbah is not a man of many words but he is the one who leads by example and not only us but everybody in our team follows that example."

https://www.dawn.com/news/1395232/d...andard-agrees-to-visit-pakistan-for-play-offs

39. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Islamabad and the perfect T20 template

Imagine the perfect T20 side.

It would consist of explosive openers to take advantage of the powerplay. The kind that can take the game away from you within the first six overs. The kind that ensure relentless attack from both ends.

It would blend experience and youth in the middle order, a deadly mixture of power and deftness that can allow the batting line-up to shift and change according to the nature of the game.

It would boast an experienced captain who has seen it all and knows just how to get the best out of the players at his disposal so that the whole is always greater than the sum of its parts.

It would have a lower order that can provide the required propulsion in the death overs.

It would have spinners able to deceive, beguile and contain in equal measure and pacers adept at carrying out their captain’s bidding to the very word.

It would have a long batting line-up in order to give the batsmen the license to attack.

It would have several bowling options so that the captain always has several plans to play around with in any given situation.

In short, imagine Islamabad United.

Misbahul Haq’s men have already qualified for the playoffs and are favourites to finish in the top two for the first time.

And boy do they look an ominous team.

At the top of the order, Messrs Alex Hales and Luke Ronchi provide the kind of launching pad most captains can only dream of. The two have the highest T20 strike-rates of any opener for the past couple of years, making them the two most destructive batsmen around. Add South African JP Duminy to the mix and you have a top three as ominous as any assembled in the PSL; perhaps second only to the Chris Gayle, Virat Kohli and AB de Villiers triumvirate in the Indian Premier League when it comes to world franchises.

But Islamabad are not only their top three. A whole host of players who can star in more than one role follow the trio. Any team would feel the departure of one of T20 cricket’s most sought-after all-rounder in Andre Russell but United have more than enough all-rounders in their roster to more than cover up for it.

The likes of Duminy, Amad Butt, Hussain Talat, Faheem Ashraf, Shadab Khan and Samit Patel ensure Islamabad can have multiple options with the ball while also playing a very deep batting line. In fact, there are scenarios in which United can have Muhammad Sami as the only ‘tailender’ in the side while also playing seven players more than capable of bowling in a T20.

The loss of vice-captain Rumman Raees is also a huge blow to the side but even without their star pacer Islamabad have the arsenal to go all the way once again.

Samuel Badree, Zafar Gohar, Samit Patel and Duminy can all provide backup to the incredible Shadab in the spin department.

Pulling the strings is one of Pakistan’s finest-ever puppet masters. Misbahul Haq has made a living out of making ordinary players commit extraordinary deeds.

And it is no fluke that Islamabad can upon some of the best local talent around in Rumman, Faheem, Talat, Shadab and Sahibzada Farhan. By paying particular attention to good scouting and prioritising balance within the squad, the capital side have established in place a system that doesn’t rely on one player but on several. There will be times when they will lose, based on the sheer individual brilliance of their opposition alone, but their system ensures they will never be easy to beat.

With wind in their sails and a bit of everything in their arsenal, Misbahul Haq’s men are becoming a lot of people’s favourite to go all the way once again. Whether that turns out to be the case or not remains to be seen. But right now, it is hard to imagine a more perfect T20 side in the world.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1660680/7-islamabad-perfect-t20-template/

40. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    What is Misbah's role in this team?