[PSL] Islamabad United Fans Thread

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Desi_Joker, Dec 21, 2015.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Shadab should have been made captain.

2. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Who is the Captain?

3. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
  4. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Will probably be Ronchi, he's the only realistic option (though I don't know if he's even captained regularly before/how good he is).

5. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
  6. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    good decision, will help Shadab and Raees to learn a lot

7. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Wow. Lol. OMG.

8. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Poor decision even if Islamabad win the PSL.

9. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    HAHAHAH WTH

Joke of the Millennium

10. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    everyone bashing this decision. Give the guy a chance at least. Refreshing to see a fast bowler being giving the captaincy responsibility. Nowadays it's usually WK or Batters.

11. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    I'm guessing it is Misbah's recommendation. Definitely.

12. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    Misbah is part of Zalmi now

13. Red Devil

Red Devil Whispering Death

Dec 15, 2013
    Don't think they had too many options tbh. Sami has captained Karachi Dolphins before so not really as bad of an appointment as people are making it out to be.

14. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Islu fans are trying to convince themselves here that its a good decision

15. Inswinger

Inswinger Tracer Bullet

Mar 6, 2010
    Is there an unannounced competition in the PSL for the oldest captain? Credit must be given to Karachi for thinking outside the box and making Imad the captain. The other teams don't have a single young local player capable of leading them?

16. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    The older the wiser, mentality is going to haunt Pakistan cricket for many years to come.

At this rate, Shafiq is in line to lead the test team in another couple of years. No wonder he is the vice-captain.

17. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    @Red Devil look at all the fresh salt we got donated.

18. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    lol, now I expect ISLU's downfall will start and they might become chokers, because of their captain.

19. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    He is apparently a very successful captain for Karaxhi. Give him a chance at least, people getting excited already lol

Inn Shaa Allah it was be another successful campaign to make it 3*.

20. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Defending champions, let’s here it from the Islamabad United fans. Are you feeling confident of defending your crown?

21. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
  22. maddgenius

maddgenius Whispering Death

Oct 6, 2014
    Absolutely. Got all bases covered. Bench strength is amazing with a decent back up available for every player.

23. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
  24. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
  25. maddgenius

Oct 6, 2014
    Islamabad's frequent middle order collapses becoming a concern

26. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    PSL helped Pakistan improve in T20s: Waqar

LAHORE: Legendary fast bowler and former head coach Waqar Younis believes that HBL Pakistan Super League has brought significant improvement in Pakistan’s Twenty20 cricket and has constantly been throwing new talent to the fore, says a PCB release.

Pakistan topped the ICC T20I rankings in November 2017 after two editions of the PSL and have been the top side since January 2018, an improvement Waqar thinks is primarily due to the annual PSL.

“I think if you look at the shorter version, you feel there are significant improvements and that are mainly due to the PSL,” said Waqar, who is the director for defending champions Islamabad United.

Waqar was Pakistan’s coach when the PSL’s first edition was held in 2016. He left the job soon after Pakistan’s unsuccessful World Twenty20 campaign in India.

Waqar said that PSL introduces new talent for Pakistan and it’s the PCB which has to take them to newer heights.

“Every PSL throws some good talent, there are some good players who have come to the fore from Islamabad United,” said Waqar of the franchise who won the inaugural event in 2016 and doubled their tally in 2018.

Islamabad United has groomed Shadab Khan, Rumman Raees, Faheem Ashraf, Sahibzada Farhan and Ammad Butt.

Waqar singled-out lanky paceman Shaheen Shah Afridi as one of the stars who matured in the PSL.

“I am very impressed with Shaheen Shah Afridi,” said Waqar of the paceman from Landi Kotal, whose five-wicket haul against Multan Sultans in 2018 caught the eyes of the selectors and current head coach Mickey Arthur.

“I think after the emergence of the players from the PSL, then PCB’s responsibility increases — to groom these players. This is a stepping stone and you see Under-19 players who are coming through,” said Waqar.

Islamabad United have talented Under-19 all-rounder Nasir Nawaz and National Twenty20 second highest run-scorer Rizwan Hussain this year who are the players to watch out for in PSL 4.

“These young players are the future of Pakistan. The franchisees give them a chance, of course, the franchisees want to win but they also groom these players and after that the PCB comes and groom them.”

Waqar stressed Pakistan needs to put more focus on first-class cricket.

“What looks good, feels good, sells good,” said Waqar of the PSL success.

“Our focus is more on PSL and we need to have the same focus on our first-class cricket. I keep hearing that changes are coming, sponsors are merging with the regions so, may be, after a few years we will see changes and we will start producing the kind of players for Tests as well what we have seen in the PSL.”

Waqar, who has coached in India, Bangladesh and Canada leagues — believes PSL will become one of the top leagues once it is staged fully in Pakistan.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/433973-psl-helped-pakistan-improve-in-t20s-waqar

27. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    need to replace that opener with Farhan and make Talat permanent no.3

28. maddgenius

Oct 6, 2014
    Farhan is the back up of Asif Ali/Talat

Rizwan will be replaced by either Nasir Nawaz or Musa

29. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    Farhan is an opener, not a middle order or no. 6-7

30. maddgenius

Oct 6, 2014
    Since 2 batting spots have been taken by overseas batsmen and one by emerging bat there is no place for Farhan unless he replaces one of Talat/Asif

31. Mohsin

Mohsin Cornered Tiger

Feb 21, 2010
    Bell out of PSL4

Blow for Islamabad. Need to bring in someone solid to replace him.

32. maddgenius

Oct 6, 2014
    If rules allow to pick someone who wasn't the part of initial draft list then Tom Latham could be a good choice

33. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    After suffering an injury, Islamabad United’s Ian Bell is out for the remainder of the 2019 Pakistan Super League (PSL), the team’s manager Zukhurf Khan confirmed to DawnNewsTV on Sunday. The replacement for England’s Bell will be decided later, Khan added. While Islamabad United lost Bell, Lahore Qalandars on Sunday confirmed that AB De Villiers is “perfectly all right” to play. They said that while there was minor stiffness in his back and he was rested in the second innings of Lahore’s match against Quetta, he will return during the team’s next match.

https://dailytimes.com.pk/358400/injured-ian-bell-and-brendan-taylor-out-of-psl/

34. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Wayne Parnell impressed with Islamabad United’s teen sensation Muhammad Musa

SHARJAH: South Africa and Islamabad United all-rounder Wayne Parnell has said he is impressed with Pakistan Super League’s latest talent, 18-year-old Muhammad Musa.

United’s teen sensation Musa proved himself as the X-factor for the two-time PSL champions in Friday’s match against Peshawar Zalmi by scripting a 12-run win with his sensational 3-for-23 at the Sharjah Cricket Stadium.

“Musa has been working hard and I am very impressed with what I have seen,” Parnell said while speaking to Geo. “Before the game on Friday [against Zalmi] Musa appeared a bit nervous but I said to him, listen you have been playing cricket for some time now and it might be a different level but cricket remains the same. I was really happy to see him bowl with pace and skill and pick wickets.”

When asked whether he thought the pitches in Abu Dhabi, Sharjah and Dubai were bowler friendly or batting, the 29-year-old said, “When you look at Sharjah, Abu Dhabi and Dubai, you would think it’s batting friendly, but we have seen bowlers adapt really well.”

Responding to a question about him visiting Pakistan, Parnell said he is excited to visit and play PSL matches in Pakistan. “I am really excited to visit Pakistan and I am looking forward to first visiting Lahore and then to play matches in Karachi,” he said.

https://www.geo.tv/psl/latest/22914...slamabad-uniteds-teen-sensation-muhammad-musa

35. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    DUBAI - Islamabad United head coach Dean Jones unleashed his frustration by humiliating a journalist during the post-match press conference.

During the press briefing, when a sports journalist asked why Asif Ali always throws his wicket when it matters the most and he is a smasher but not a good finisher, Jones lost his control and said: “Are you kidding, you don’t look like in senses and without answering said next question. It’s absolutely a rubbish question. It is top three, who cost the match as they fail to deliver not Asif. How many times out of 10, you expect a player to go out and bang. You ask Watson and AB de Villiars, it’s not Asif fault that we messed up, you have no idea, at the end of the tournament you will realize, you would not have questioned this.”

When asked about update on Muhammad Sami injury, Jones replied: “May be in next few days, he is recovering well and on course to return to the squad. We still got three games and we want to ensure a fully fit Sami to spearhead the team.”

About Samit Patel, the coach said: “Patel is massive. We picked him as glue, he had a job and he again performed that job quite good against Sultan’s. Unfortunately, he is not a good smasher, probably 140 or 160 would have been enough for us, but wasn’t not a good deck as we expected. When one do too many mistakes and lose quick wickets, you can’t expect guys like Asif and Faheem to deliver goods on regular basis. Some of the guys think that they can play like Ronchi, but they can’t so they should play their natural game, rather than copying others and getting out.

“The back-to-back wickets is hurting the momentum. T20 cricket is a funny game. Only 48 hours back, we were having day-light between us and others, we got to regroup like Karachi Kings, as Colin Ingram played a memorable knock for KK and lifted their morale. We had to do like this to ensure our progress.”

It is worth mentioning here that Jones and others must understand that every journalist has right to question according to his mind. Jones and others should not try to dictate and if they want questions should be asked as per their wishes, they should not bother to conduct press conferences after the matches and better to release a written statement.

It is hoped the United management will look into the issue and try to tame Jones. United don’t have any trained person, who could deal with sports journalists as the owner hardly bothers to take action despite repeated complaints made against the non-professional attitude of United management. It is hoped Ali Naqvi will finally woke up from deep slump and address the root-causes.

https://nation.com.pk/28-Feb-2019/frustrated-jones-humiliated-journalist

36. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    United peaking at the right time, says Sami

[​IMG]
    “In a tournament such as this, the secret to success is how much fresh your players are."— PSL/File

KARACHI: There is something different with the current Islamabad United side in the HBL Pakistan Super League. Propensity of bouncing back from seemingly tough situations when they had appeared lost on occasions has become their hallmark.

Mohammad Sami, the former Pakistan speedster, is generally a shy character by nature all through his career. As the team leader of the reigning champions, he is proving himself to be anything but inspirational. But there is no lack of commitment from the seasoned campaigner who had a chequered international career after a sensational eight-wicket Test debut in New Zealand way back in March 2001.

Now the PSL reaching the business end of the competition, Sami still believes that despite United’s topsy-turvy road to the playoffs with five victories in 10 preliminary-round matches — the last sealing them a place in Wednesday’s Eliminator 1 most probably against Karachi Kings — they can go all the way to retain the title they won here at the National Stadium last year.

“We had struggled to find the right combination for most of the competition this time. But I can tell you that as a team we are peaking at the appropriate time,” Sami told Dawn a day after United decimated Lahore Qalandars by 49 runs after piling up the highest PSL total of 238-3, overhauling 204-3 made by the Qalandars versus Multan Sultans in Sharjah several weeks ago, with Cameron Delport scoring a breathtaking 49-ball century -- the quickest in the event’s history.

Article continues after ad

“In a tournament such as this, the secret to success is how much fresh your players are. And when you have to play 10 matches in the league stage, the planning has got to be spot on to have a go at the title.

“It was incredibly electrifying to be playing again in Karachi last night. The [Karachi] crowds were brilliant and this aspect was sadly missing during the games in the UAE. Crowds are important at any sporting occasion and both teams thoroughly enjoyed playing to the gallery, even though the ground on Saturday was not completely filled up.”

Sami felt elated at winning a crunch game because in case of defeat United would have been relying on other results to go their way.

“It was a match we had to win at all costs. The lads were brilliant despite the fact that Luke Ronchi was dismissed on the first ball of the game. But credit to Cameron, Asif Ali and Chadwick Walton.

“We lost Ronchi off the first ball but then Delport and Asif batted superbly and the total was great,” said Sami. “And then Faheem Ashraf was simply magnificent with the ball [taking a career-best 6-19].”

https://www.dawn.com/news/1468880/united-peaking-at-the-right-time-says-sami

37. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Hales, who is an integral part of England’s limited overs sides, will be making a return to the Islamabad United after having played four matches for United last season. The explosive England batsman is replacing fellow countryman Ian Bell in the United squad.

“I am delighted to be back with Islamabad United for this year’s HBL Pakistan Super League and I can’t wait to play in front of our passionate fans,” Hales, one of the top 10 batsmen in the ICC T20I rankings, said.

“We have seen exciting cricket at the HBL PSL this year and Islamabad United has put in some excellent performances. I look forward to joining the squad and I hope that I can help the team lift the trophy once again,” said Hales.

“Alex Hales is one of the leading T20 batsmen in the world and I am glad that he will play for Islamabad United in front of Pakistani fans,” said Ali Naqvi, Islamabad United team owner.

“I am confident that he will add great energy to Islamabad United as we look to win the play-off stage games,” he added.

http://geosuper.tv/latest/212-alex-hales-and-chris-jordan-to-play-in-psl-playoff-stage

38. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    It’s great visiting Pakistan as an Indian, says Patel

KARACHI: India’s players may not be part of Twenty20 leagues around the world, but there are a lucky few who are of the Indian origin and playing in the HBL PSL.

Samit Rohit Patel is one of them. Patel, though born in Leicester, has roots in India and takes pride in being part of HBL PSL. The 34-year-old has been representing two-time champions Islamabad United on a regular basis.

Patel says he enjoys HBL PSL, more so being an Indian-Englishman. “As an Indian visiting Pakistan has been great,” said Patel. “The experience of playing in Karachi was amazing and you can just see the love for cricket in Pakistan.

“I had heard lots of amazing things about Pakistan, especially Lahore, which I have not been to as yet. People are very hospitable and caring. Having an Indian background and coming here, has definitely changed my mindset.”

Patel, who played six Tests, 36 ODIs and 18 T20Is, places HBL PSL among the top leagues in the world. “I place the PSL very highly, especially the standard of bowling is very good in one of the best competitions in the world,” said Patel, who last played for England in 2015. Since then, he is a regular at England county circuit. Leagues, like HBL PSL, keep him going.“The leagues have kept me going because I love cricket and also meeting so many great players,” said Patel, who loves the Islamabad United camp. “Islamabad United have been great to me, like a family and are one of the best franchises in the world. We all play cricket to win and playing for a franchise that loves to win is the ultimate. I love being part of Islamabad United.”

https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/442934-it-s-great-visiting-pakistan-as-an-indian-says-patel

39. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Sami says Islamabad can defend HBL PSL title

KARACHI: Discarded Test pacer and Islamabad United captain Mohammad Sami says that his team can defend the title of the Pakistan Super League (PSL), which has entered the final phase here at the National Stadium.

“There is no pressure on us. The excitement is there. We are the defending champions and if we played two or three more good matches then we can defend the title,” Sami told reporters here on Tuesday. “We will make our best effort to defend the crown,” he added.

He said that the inclusion of England’s star batsman Alex Hales would add to the batting strength of his side. “He is a world-class batsman and his inclusion will add to the batting strength. It will be great,” said the 38-year-old Sami.

Hales, the England opener, will be available for Islamabad United when they meet Karachi Kings in the eliminator on Thursday (tomorrow). When asked if they would feel pressure because of crowd support for Karachi Kings, Sami responded:

“Karachi crowd from the start has supported that team which plays better cricket. Definitely the players of Karachi are supported here but we will be trying to put in our hundred percent,” he said.

“Definitely there will be pressure when we play against Karachi Kings in front of Karachi supporters. But you can also take it as a positive because in our team besides me Rumman Raees is also playing. But the sort of excitement you see here, particularly among foreign players, is fantastic,” Sami said.

When asked about his selection chances in Pakistan’s team the right-arm pacer said his whole focus was on the PSL. “My focus is on PSL. Whether my name comes in Pakistan team or not it is not my job. I never get disappointed. I just focus on my game,” he said.

He said that the emerging young fast bowlers would add to the bowling future of Pakistan team.“It’s a good sign for Pakistan that it is getting pacers at a young age. A team is formed of both juniors and seniors. I think it’s good for Pakistan that young pacers are coming and together with experienced fast bowlers they will safeguard Pakistan’s future,” he said.

Islamabad won the first and the third editions of the country’s lucrative league.

Peshawar Zalmi won the second edition.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/443232-sami-says-islamabad-can-defend-hbl-psl-title

40. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    iA will eliminate Karachi tonight