[PSL] Quetta Gladiators Fans Thread

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Prince Pathan, Jan 4, 2016.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Squad does need strengthening next year. That bowling attack wouldn’t strike fear in many teams.
    Did well to get where we did in the end

2. Patriot

Patriot Boom Boom

Oct 8, 2014
  3. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Moin Khan pins eliminator loss on overseas players' absence

Quetta Gladiators' one-run loss to Peshawar Zalmi in the first eliminator of the Pakistan Super League hasn't gone down too well with their head coach Moin Khan who lamented the absence of their top overseas stars. Needing 25 off the last over, Anwar Ali kept them in the hunt and brought the equation down to three off the final delivery. However, they were able to manage just one and crashed out of the tournament.

Gladiators were without Shane Watson and Kevin Pietersen for the clash who refused to travel to Pakistan for the final leg of the tournament. While Watson propped them up with his batting and ended the highest run-getter for then with 319 runs from ten games, Pietersen didn't quite set the stage on fire and scored 155 runs at 19.57.

Moin felt that players refusing to travel to Pakistan shouldn't be allowed in the league as it sends out a wrong message. "We, in the coming season, should only pick players who have the consent to visit Pakistan," he said on Tuesday (March 20). "We do not need to push for individuality as our league has now become a bigger brand and now we need to go on and think about the teams. So going into the future, we don't need to get these players who don't want to come to Pakistan. In fact, this is hurting Pakistan as it is sending a negative signal and affects our country's image as well.

"Their refusal on visiting Pakistan sends a false impression that we are an unsafe country, but I am pretty sure we are a safe country and they should come here and play. I personally feel we eventually shouldn't be dependent on these players. If somebody respects Pakistan and the image of the country, he should come and play this league."

With Watson and Pietersen not there, Gladiators decided to field Mahmudullah and Thisara Perera who joined the squad after the Twenty20 International tri-series in Sri Lanka. The decision to open with Tom Kohler-Cadmore with Watson being unavailable also didn't work as he was able to manage just 5. Things, however, could have been significantly different had Gladiators not lost their final league clash to Islamabad United.

Had Sarfraz Ahmed and Co. won that clash they would have been guaranteed a top two finish and would have also sealed a place in the Qualifier. However, the six-wicket loss meant they finished fourth and had to play the Eliminator.

Moin conceded players not getting enough rest ahead of the all-important hurt their chances significantly. "[I am] feeling hurt as a head coach," he revealed. "It was a good match in terms of entertainment but we made mistakes and a few unnecessary shots were played. But overall your combination is broken...it happens because Shane Watson didn't come despite committing and about KP we always knew he wouldn't be coming to Pakistan. So the problem is very obvious and otherwise we are not really choking because we were without our right combination and our strength was broken so we were nowhere.

"Even today, our one overseas player - Thisara Perera - he joined us at a time when we were making our way to the ground and he landed in Lahore after three connections from Colombo to Dubai to Karachi to Lahore. Tom [Kohler-Cadmore] and Mahmudullah landed earlier this morning. No matter how big a player you are, your body needs rest. We had discussed in our team meeting that we don't need to depend on our overseas players, and have to show our commitment and take responsibility as a team. Winning and losing is a part of the game but I am happy that we still managed to stretch the game in the end and we had a close finish."

http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-new...-kevin-pietersen-shane-watson-cricket-players

4. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Rahat Ali, Mir Hamza rue their luck

LAHORE: Quetta Gladiators’ players expressed their disappointment at being knocked out of the tournament against Peshawar Zalmi, losing by just one run at the Gaddafi Stadium here on Tuesday. A repeat of last year’s final saw Quetta fall agonisingly close to the title, with Rahat Ali and Anwar Ali being the standout performers with ball and bat respectively. “Putting in so much effort in a game and still losing is of course disappointing for everyone but it is a part of the game,” Rahat said. “All we can do is give it our best and that is what everyone did.” The 29-year-old left-arm pacer bemoaned his side’s bad luck on the night. “We did all we could and came so close. All that was missing was that luck wasn’t on our side,” he said. “Other than that, the game was in our favour till the very last ball. But it’s our mistake and we have to face the consequences of our mistake. We wish the other teams the best of luck and hope for a good final.” Hamza, meanwhile, was guilty of ball-watching when he should have been running on the final ball. Had he continued to do so, the match would have gone into a super over. However, he himself was unable to explain why he didn’t run. “We all know that it was the last ball and that I shouldn’t have stopped,” he admitted. “To be honest, I don’t know why I did that. Because of that I failed to reach the crease, otherwise we would have had another chance to win the game during the super over. Our batsmen did well and our bowlers also played their part. However, we were unable to kill off the game. I really wish I had taken that run; we might have been playing in the final had I done so.” Hamza did criticise his side’s fielding effort though. “It was just our bad luck that we lost,” he said. “Still I wanted to reach the final so that I could play in front of my home crowd. I will still go to watch the match in Karachi since it will be a great spectacle.”

https://dailytimes.com.pk/217918/rahat-ali-mir-hamza-rue-their-luck/

5. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
  6. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Jofra Archar praises PSL3's cricketing standard

Pakistan Super League (PSL) franchise Quetta Gladiators’ foreign pick Jofra Archer has praised the standard of cricket displayed in the third edition of the tournament.

Archer, who played two matches for Quetta in PSL3, says he didn’t know what to expect when he walked into the six-team event, but was very quickly in awe of the competitiveness of the league.

“It was my first year in the PSL and whilst I was only there for a few matches, I really enjoyed the experience,” Archer told PakPassion. “I did not really know what to expect but soon realised that it’s a very competitive league with some fantastic overseas players and local Pakistani cricketers taking part. There’s no quarter given and the cricket is of a very high standard.”

On playing alongside KP and Watson

Archer, who took five wickets for Quetta in just two outings with the franchise, also opened up about his experience of playing with cricketing greats Kevin Pietersen and Shane Watson.

“It was a great opportunity,” he said. “They certainly weren’t shy to share their knowledge and experience and to help their teammates out. It was very encouraging for me to get the chance to play alongside the likes of Pietersen and Watson.”

He the revealed what both cricketers told him in terms of planning for the future. “Shane is a cricketer who has played all over the world so he was talking to me about playing in different countries, what to expect, what he had learnt about playing in different conditions and the skills needed to be able to perform in various parts of the world,” he said. “With Kevin, he was talking more about backing myself in any situation, to always believe in myself and to always have faith in my own ability to succeed.”

On Sir Viv’s role in Quetta

West Indies great Sir Viv Richards has been with Quetta Gladiators as a mentor for all three editions and Archer believes his mere presence is a boost of confidence for youngsters.

“He was very vocal around the dressing room and a very good person to have around especially for the younger players,” revealed Archer. “When Viv talks, everyone listens and you just absorb and take in what he is saying. I mean Viv is the sort of man who everyone wants to talk to and learn from as such opportunities don’t come around every day. He’s particularly good with the younger players, guiding them, offering his suggestions to them, but at the same time allowing them to do what they think is best for them.”

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1673253/7-jofra-archer-praise-psl3s-cricketing-standards/

7. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Quetta Gladiators offer AB de Villiers to play PSL

Quetta Gladiators have formally invited AB de Villiers to be in action for the next edition of Pakistan Super League (PSL), asking him to consider the option.

De Villiers, who recently announced retirement from all international cricket, has never featured in the PSL despite being invited numerous times by the franchises and requested by his Pakistani fans.

In a tweet, Gladiators wrote, “Dear @ABdeVilliers17, we would love to have you in Pakistan Super League. February – March is the window. Please consider. Regards, Quetta Gladiators.”

Gladiators account also mentioned that he has no scheduled games in February-March, the same time when PSL 2019 will be held.

Last year, Karachi Kings owner Salman Iqbal had wished to include de Villiers in his squad, but things couldn’t work according to his plan. “Many people ask us why we couldn’t bring AB de Villiers on board. It’s tough to sign those who are not in the draft pool. We can only pick what’s available,” he told media at players’ draft.

Fans were thrilled after reading the invite and expressed their excitement on Twitter. “Yes plz do consider we all love you in Pakistan even when you were playing against us you are one of the greatest cricketers,” one user wrote.

https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2018/05/24/quetta-gladiators-offer-ab-de-villiers-to-play-psl/

8. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Future Gladiators Cricket in 8 cities

LAHORE: The Pakistan Super League (PSL) franchise Quetta Gladiators have joined hands with Red Bull for the seventh edition of upcoming nationwide Campus Cricket Tournament under the banner of `RBCC Future Gladiators’ which will be played in eight cities of Pakistan.

Universities of as many as eight cities will fight it out to become national champion. The cities include Karachi, Lahore Peshawar, Quetta, Islamabad, Faisalabad, Multan and Hyderabad. Quetta Gladiators owner Nadeem Omar said that he is excited that his franchise are launching one of its kind partnership with Red Bull to mark the start of one of the biggest sporting activations in Pakistan. The RBCC is the only global T20 cricket tournament for university students where campuses from eight countries participate for national pride and become world champions.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/340713-future-gladiators-cricket-in-8-cities

9. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Balochistan has immense talent, we want to unearth it: Quetta Gladiators’ owner

KARACHI : Pakistan Super League (PSL) franchise Quetta Gladiators has partnered with Red Bull Campus Cricket (RBCC) and are all set to take their talent hunt to Balochistan with team owner Nadeem Omar saying that his team is doing everything they can to bring Balochistan into the limelight.

This is the first time that RBCC would take place in the city of Quetta in Balochistan and Omar has highlighted its importance.

“We have seen that a lot of talent in Balochistan is being neglected for many years. That’s why last year we went there for a talent hunt and unearthed incredible talent,” he said. “We have been doing everything we can to bring Quetta and Balochistan into the limelight. We saw that school cricket is dying and held school tournaments and because of that some players will be seen playing U19 cricket for Paksitan. Now we are going to do a talent hunt in universities through RBCC in Quetta and around Pakistan.”

He further added: “These eight teams from Balochistan’s universities will be given a chance to showcase their talents in one of the biggest global T20 cricket tournaments for university students.”

RBCC will be taking place across eight cities in Pakistan — the last edition was held in seven cities. This year’s edition would include 96 teams from Karachi, Lahore, Peshawar, Islamabad, Faisalabad, Multan, Hyderabad and Quetta.

And Omar, who revealed that the PSL franchise would be conducting their own talent hunt as scheduled for the end of this year, explained how they plan to find players and induct them in the Quetta Gladiators squad for the future through RBCC.

“Right now we will be selecting the top 11 players from the tournament and will give them a chance to feature in a high-performance training camp. These players will be mentored by Quetta Gladiators’ players while two of the best players from the camp — one from Balochistan and the other from rest of Pakistan — will be selected to play for Gladiators in the All-Stars Muqabla Exhibition match with other PSL franchises,” he said.

He further added that Quetta is a city where no cricket has taken place in the last seven to eight months due to extreme weather, but this tournament will give the people of Quetta and of Balochistan an opportunity to showcase their talent to the world.

“We want Quetta to come forward; this tournament has given Pakistan and Quetta Gladiators names such as Rumman Raees, Hussain Talat and Mir Hamza and we are excited to work with RBCC and are expecting to find some really good cricketers in this edition,” he added.

Meanwhile, former Pakistan captain Moin Khan, who has been mentor for RBCC since the onset, said that Pakistanis’ love and passion from cricket is incomparable.

“This tournament is a way to groom Pakistan’s raw talent by testing them in different matches at the national level and finally pitching them into the international games to polish these talented individuals. Not only will this help groom more talent, it will eventually help Pakistan cricket,” he said.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/175717...-talent-want-unearth-quetta-gladiators-owner/

10. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Umar Akmal, Sunil Narine to represent Quetta Gladiators in PSL 4

Middle-order batsman Umar Akmal will be representing Quetta Gladiators in the next edition of the Pakistan Super League (PSL). According to a press release, spin wizard Sunil Narine along with Akmal will be traded to Quetta Gladiators with Rahat Ali and Hassan Khan donning the Qalandars colours for the next season. Narine, who played two seasons for the Qalandars in 2017 and 2018 will bring a wealth of experience with 299 T20 appearances and 342 wickets across different leagues and tournaments in the world. For Akmal, the move to Quetta marks a new chapter. Akmal who scored 556 runs at the strike rate of 138 in his 20 PSL appearances will bring much-needed firepower to the Gladiators side.

The deal between Lahore Qalandars and Quetta Gladiators will see Lahore taking Quetta’s first round Platinum pick and Quetta getting Lahore’s Silver round pick in the second round, the press release further said.

Chief Operating Officer of Qalandars Sameen Rana thanked Narine and Akmal for their stints with the franchise while welcoming Ali and Khan. “On behalf of the Lahore Qalandars management and fans, we would like to thank Sunil and Umar for their services to the team. They added tremendous value to the Qalandars and I wish them well on this next chapter in their PSL careers,” she said. Rana added, “We are very excited to welcome Rahat Ali and Hassan Khan to the Qalandars family. Rahat showed what he is capable of with the ball in this format with his excellent bowling last year and Hassan has impressed everyone with his determination and calmness on the field.” Moreover, Quetta Gladiators owner Nadeem Omar also welcomed Narine and Akmal to the Gladiators family.

“Sunil Narine and Umar Akmal are world-class additions to the Gladiators squad ahead of PSL season 4. Sunil Narine is a magician with the ball and one of the best match-winners when in T20 cricket. Umar Akmal, too, remains one of the most destructive batsmen in Pakistan and he will add much-needed firepower in our batting,” Omar said. He added, “I would also like to thank Hassan Khan and Rahat Ali for being exemplary ambassadors for Quetta Gladiators. Both these talented cricketers will always have a special place in the Gladiators family.” The next season of PSL will start from February 14th, 2019.

http://dailytimes.com.pk/318358/umar-akmal-sunil-narine-to-represent-quetta-gladiators-in-psl-4/

11. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Quetta Gladiators owner Nadeem Omar said, “PSL has become a big brand. We are organizing league in Quetta since three years. Our focus will be to pick players from Quetta in the team”.

Talking about the foreign players, he said we will try to pick those foreign players who will be willing to tour Pakistan.

Coach Moin Khan said holding PSL in Pakistan will attract more players and crowd.

12. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
  13. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Squad: Sarfraz Ahmed, Sohail Tanvir, Sunil Narine, Umar Akmal, Shane Watson, Mohammad Nawaz, Rilee Rossouw, Anwar Ali, Saud Shakeel, Dwayne Bravo, Fawad Ahmed, Mohammad Asghar, Danish Aziz, Ahsan Ali, Ghulam Mudassar, Naseem Shah, Harry Gurney, Ahmed Shehzad, Azam Khan, Jalat Khan

Quetta did most of their exciting business away from the glitz of this draft, when a bumper trade with Lahore Qalandars saw them secure the services of Umar Akmal and Sunil Narine. Fawad Ahmed's addition is a good story, while with Mohammad Asghar and Jalat Khan, they have two players from the province they represent.

Strengths: Dwyane Bravo is guaranteed T20 gold. The man with the most wickets in the format, he has delivered around the world, and is arguably the most intelligent T20 bowler from the generation of players who grew up before this format exploded. There's a great blend of fast bowlers and spinners, and solid local talent.

Weaknesses: The top order batting is a slight concern. Shane Watson will likely open the batting, but there are question marks over who accompanies him and what their pedigree is. They have both Ahmed Shehzad and Umar Akmal, but reliability is not a word you would associate with them.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/25331690/how-six-psl-teams-stack-player-draft

14. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Gladiators provide Shehzad, Akmal 'opportunity to prove themselves' in PSL4

KARACHI: Nadeem Omar, the owner of PSL team Quetta Gladiators, has said that he wanted to give Ahmed Shehzad and Umar Akmal an opportunity to prove themselves and that’s why he picked the under-criticism duo in his team for the Pakistan Super League (PSL) fourth edition.

Gladiators, after initially getting Akmal from Lahore Qalandars following a trade, picked Shehzad today in supplementary category after no other team expressed interest in picking him.

“This is a chance for Umar Akmal and Ahmed Shehzad to prove themselves, and probably a last chance,” Omar told Geo.tv

“I have always believed that a person should be given a chance to prove himself a better one. I also gave chance to Mohammad Aamir when he returned to competitive cricket. When no one picked Ahmed Shehzad today I thought that it would be unjust with a good player as him and picked him.”

Nadeem Omar hoped that both Akmal and Shehzad will prove themselves as exemplary cricketers with their behaviour.

Another reason, according to Nadeem Omar, to pick Shehzad and Akmal was to ensure that in any unfortunate scenario of foreigners avoiding to visit Pakistan, the Quetta’s local strength is strong enough.

Although, he was hopeful after a majority of Gladiators foreign players agreed to tour Pakistan.

“Previously, our progress was halted because our foreign signings didn’t come to Pakistan but this time I am very much confident about them. Rilee Rossouw, Sunil Narine and Bravo are coming and I will try my best to convince Shane Watson to visit Pakistan this year as well,” he aimed.

Talking about the team combination, the Karachi-based businessman said that this is the best T20 team.

“There can’t be any better team than this,” he said.

“We have batting till tail, we have best spinners, good fast bowlers and decent all-rounders. We have all the essence of a good T20 team,” Omar said, hoping that his team will lift the trophy this season.

He also said that this time two players from Balochistan, Jalat Khan and Mohammad Asghar, are added in the squad which will allow him to support the much-neglected cricket fraternity of the province.

“We are trying to streamline cricket in Balochistan, being with PSL squad will surely help Balochistan players learn and improve their skills and this will eventually help Balochistan cricket,” he noted.

Expressing his delight over PSL’s success, the owner of Quetta Gladiators said the PSL has become the biggest brand of Pakistan and with more games in the country, and the value of the brand is also increasing.

“This time brand value has risen to three times, imagine if the entire league is held in Pakistan then the value would get a hike of thirty times,” he said.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/219141-gladiators-provide-shehzad-akmal-opportunity-to-prove-themselves

15. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    DJ Bravo announces Pakistan visit for PSL 2019

Video - https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/396878-dj-bravo-announces-pakistan-visit-for-psl-2019

Former captain of West Indies, Dwayne John Bravo has announced that he will be traveling to Pakistan to take part in Pakistan Super League 2019 matches as he has been picked by Quetta Gladiators for the country’s mega cricket event.

Quetta Gladiators shared Bravo’s video message on their twitter handle on Thursday. They wrote, “Champion! Champion! The Gladiator @DJBravo47 is coming to Pakistan after 12 years. Sings:Quetta Champions! Quetta Champions! Show him your love using #WelcomeGladiatorDJBravo,”

In the video, the 35 years old cricketer started with, “I want to thank Quetta Gladiators for picking me and giving me the opportunity to be a part of PSL2019.”

The West Indies star continued to add, “Pakistan! The Champion is gonna coming there. Support us, look out for me as it will be my first time in Pakistan since 2006 and I’m really looking forward to being there.”

Bravo also sang his famous Champions Song for Quetta Gladiators.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/396878-dj-bravo-announces-pakistan-visit-for-psl-2019

16. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Twice runners up. Out in the eliminator last year, can the Gladiators finally get over the line this year?

17. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
  18. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
  19. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Always been my 2nd team, good to see them do well

20. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Best batting line up in the tournament.

21. maddgenius

maddgenius Whispering Death

Oct 6, 2014
    Bowling without Narine and Bravo is quite ordinary though.

22. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    yep bowling is ordinary. Also, I want to see how they do batting first, Sarfraz will always bowl first as they are accustomed to chasing.

23. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Sarfaraz’s trust in youngsters a boost to our confidence, says Ghulam Mudassar

SHARJAH: Quetta Gladiators fast bowler Ghulam Mudassar has said skipper Sarfaraz Ahmed’s trust in youngsters is a boost to the players' confidence in the team.

“I don’t have any words to describe him," Mudassar said while speaking to Geo. “I have never seen a more positive man than him [Sarfaraz].”

When asked about his personal goals for Pakistan Super League (PSL), the 19-year-old who hails from a village near Haripur said his aim is to become the best bowler of the tournament.

“PSL has given me a lot of opportunities to learn. Sharing a dressing room with big names and bowling at them has made me learn a lot,” he said. “PSL has matured me as a player."

He also hailed the addition of emerging players in teams as a positive approach.

Mudassar, who was discovered through the Lahore Qalandars' player development programme, said he is confident of performing well in the tournament.

“I have worked hard and hopefully I will achieve the targets I have set for myself,” he said.

https://www.geo.tv/psl/latest/22883...-boost-to-our-confidence-says-ghulam-mudassar

24. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Anything’s possible when Pakistan play well, Sir Viv Richards on World Cup chances

SHARJAH: West Indian cricket legend and Quetta Gladiators mentor Sir Vivian Richards is optimistic about Pakistan’s chances in the ICC World Cup, scheduled to be held in England and Wales from May 30.

Sharing his thoughts on the mega tournament, Sir Richards said Pakistan have the capability to beat any team on a good day.

“As long as Pakistan play well, as we all saw in the Champions Trophy [in 2017], when a good Pakistan team is playing well, it’s always possible for them to win,” the former cricketer told Geo.

“There are lots of good teams. India is a good team. We shouldn’t forget hosts England, and Australia and West Indies. There’s going to be a lot of talent on show.”

Sir Richards, who has been with Quetta Gladiators since the inception of the Pakistan Super League, said he is happy to be back with the team for the fourth year.

“We’re a good team. A very well-balanced team, with the talent that we have. I’m hoping we will win,” he shared.

According to the batting legend, the PSL has attracted some of the best players from around the world, which is a testament to its success as a T20 league.

“It’s a great T20 league that’s why you have some of the best players participating in it. Having them around makes it as good as any league.”

On his years-long connection with the Gladiators, Sir Richards said it is the camaraderie in the team setup that has kept him coming back.

“It’s a good setup, the owner [Nadeem Omer] is a very special person. All the members, managers are [good people]. We have a very special unit. And when you have that it creates a wonderful environment. I’m glad to be a part of it.”

The Windies star said the PSL provides a great opportunity to the younger players to benefit from the presence of renowned cricketers from around the world.

On West Indies’ recent victory in the home Test series against England, Sir Richards said he was “extremely pleased with the team’s performance.”

“[They] made a lot of excuses about the pitch,” he said, eluding to the England team. “To me, that’s sour grapes. They should dust themselves off and come back again. England should accept that the Windies played very well.”

Regretting the ICC decision to ban Windies captain Jason Holder for slow over-rate, he expressed hope that the governing body would consider the rule in instances where a Test match lasts less than five days.

https://www.geo.tv/psl/latest/22876...ay-well-sir-viv-richards-on-world-cup-chances

25. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    ^^^ Get this man a part of the Pakistani set up. Brings nothing but positivity to the dug out. Love his energy.

26. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    The GOAT

27. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    4 out of 4 wins, couldn’t have asked for a better start. Watson, Rossuw and now Sarfraz all seeing the team home in chases. Keep it up guys

28. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    My last-ball six in PSL no match to Miandad’s: Sarfraz

LAHORE: Pakistan captain Sarfraz Ahmed refused to compare his last-ball six with the one great Javed Miandad hit at the same Sharjah Cricket Stadium some 33 years ago.

The tradition of last-ball six at the iconic stadium, host of a world record 236 ODIs, started in April 1986 when Miandad hitting India’s Chetan Sharma in the final to help Pakistan clinch the Austral-Asia Cup for Pakistan.

On Friday, the ghost of last-ball six hurt Multan Sultans when Dan Christian was smashed for a last-ball six by former South Africa all-rounder David Wiese in Lahore Qalandars’ win. Wiese was on the receiving end within 24 hours later on Saturday as Quetta, needing two off the last ball, were helped over the line by Sarfaraz’s six over deep mid-wicket. Asked whether he followed Miandad’s tradition, Sarfaraz replied: “You cannot compare my feat with Miandad’s. His was an international match and the pressure of an international match - that too against India – must have been enormous.”

Sarfraz kept his nerves as wickets fell at the other end as Gladiators, chasing 144 to win, needed 36 off the last five overs. He added 54 for the sixth wicket with Mohammad Nawaz and despite losing Nawaz in the penultimate over and then Anwar Ali off the first ball of the 20th over, did not lose his resolve of fighting till the last ball.

Sarfraz said he has learnt the art of playing calmly from international matches, a trait he also praised in his counterpart at the same match, AB de Villiers. “AB plays so calmly and, while there is no comparison, but I have also learnt to play calmly. Whenever I get a chance to bat under pressure, I keep my cool and that’s why I delivered tonight.”

Sarfraz praised his bowlers, led by young Ghulam Mudassar (three for 21) and the seasoned Sohail Tanvir (two for 21) who restricted Lahore to 143 for seven. “We bowled well and credit to the bowlers for keeping Qalandars to 143 and that helped us a great deal." Quetta Gladiators are on top of the six-team table with four wins in as many games, scoring eight points.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/print/436562-my-last-ball-six-in-psl-no-match-to-miandad-s-sarfraz

29. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Gladiators’ Rossouw says playing PSL in Pakistan was a lifetime joy

Sharjah: Former South Africa batsman Rilee Rossouw will cherish for a lifetime his visit to Pakistan for last year’s play-offs and hopes to anchor Quetta Gladiators to the title in the PSL this year.

The 29-year-old, who played 36 ODIs and 15 T20Is in a fine career before settling in England, is a regular for Sarfaraz Ahmed-led Quetta Gladiators team and was part of the Quetta side which featured in the play-offs in Lahore last year.

Rossouw said he wants to play more games in Pakistan.

“It was a fantastic trip and the one I would cherish for lifetime,” Rossouw said.

“The people in Pakistan are fanatic about cricket and they love the game. It was great that cricket was being played there and, hopefully, things turn out very well again this year as well and we play some more games in Pakistan.”

After the final in Lahore in 2017, two play-offs and the final were held in Lahore and Karachi in 2018. Eight matches are scheduled this year.

Fresh from his stint with Rangpur Riders in the Bangladesh Premier League where he was top on the most runs chart with 558 in 14 matches with a whopping strike rate of 150, Rossouw hit a match-winning 67 not out against Multan Sultans to give his team a third win in as many games.

Rossouw reckons PSL in among the top leagues in the world. “Around the world, it’s (PSL) pretty up there. If not the best, definitely the second best. The competition is very high and its good to be part of the PSL,” said Rossouw, who also plays T20 in IPL, England and South Africa.

Rossouw said he is very excited to play more games in Pakistan. “Yeah, like I said, I am very excited to be playing cricket again in Pakistan. Hopefully, the team goes further and gets a silverware and this (first leg) is a process to that so, hopefully, we get over that final hurdle this time around.” Rossouw hoped the runners-up in 2016 and 2017 PSL will win the elusive title.

“If you look at the side through the years, we have the most balanced side this year..,” said Rossouw of the team.

“I am not saying that the players before did not do enough, they were capable of lifting the trophy, but this year we have extra chance of winning it.

So, we need to just do what we do well and focus on that and hopefully the results will come.”

One last request Rossouw has about food in Pakistan, it needs to be less spicy! “I think the food can improve a little bit. My stomach wasn’t too well last year when I got there, so I am pretty sure that it will be different this time around,” hoped Rossouw.

https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/4...ys-playing-psl-in-pakistan-was-a-lifetime-joy

30. Gotham Cronie

Gotham Cronie Youngsta Beauty

Jan 14, 2015
  31. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Bravo happy to pass his knowledge to young players in PSL

Globe-trotting former West Indies all-rounder Dwayne Bravo showed delight in passing his knowledge about the game to some of the youngsters he comes across during the Pakistan Super League (PSL) and termed the league a “tournament for younger generation of Pakistan cricket”. The 35-year-old, who retired from international cricket last year, is featuring for Quetta Gladiators in the ongoing PSL 4 and showed a glimpse of his utility with three for 19 in four overs to help Quetta Gladiators beat Multan Sultans by six wickets in Dubai on Friday night. With his variation in bowling and great utility in batting and fielding, Bravo is the man in demand for various leagues around the world. He has played for Chennai Super Kings, Gujrat Lions and Mumbai Indian in the Indian Premier League. Essex and Kent have been his teams in England’s Twenty20 leagues, while Lahore Qalandars and Peshawar Zalmi were his sides in the previous editions of the PSL. He has featured for Melbourne Renegades, Sydney Sixers and Melbourne Stars in the Big Bash in Australia. In the Caribbean Premier League, he has played for Trinbago Knight Riders, Trinidad & Tobago and Trinidad & Tobago Red Steel.

Asked if he passes his knowledge of delivering so many varieties in bowling, Bravo replied: “Definitely, that’s why I stand at mid-off and mid-on most of the time to feed my knowledge to the young fast bowlers. I ask them a few questions just to see how they are feeling. For me, it’s not about trying to change anything or try to coach them, but it’s about knowing how developed their brains are, how they react under pressure and then I intervene with my experience. It’s important to allow them to make mistakes, allow them to learn, and they be free and they are allowed to learn.”

Bravo said Twenty20 format is tough and bowlers can get frustrated at being thrashed. “This format is tough for the bowlers, so it’s important that the bowlers keep believing in themselves,” said Bravo, whose slower ones and lethal yorkers have earned him the most wickets in Twenty20 cricket with 475. He was part of both the West Indies sides that won the ICC World Twenty2o in 2012 and 2016. “You can easily put yourself under pressure when couple of balls go to the boundary and that’s where my roles is, which is to keep them calm and allow them to learn to come back.” Bravo reckoned the HBL PSL tournament was meant for the younger generation of Pakistan cricketers and was excited to see young fast bowler Mohammad Hasnain bowling at 140-150kph speed. “It’s good to see a young fast bowler bowling at such a speed,” said Bravo of Hasnain who is playing for Quetta.

“Pakistan have always produced some of the best fast bowlers in the world and it’s nice to see him. He is young and fast and it is a joy to see him from mid-off and mid-on. I will definitely spend some time with him. The PSL is a tournament for the young generation of players in Pakistan and it’s great to see domestic tournament where you see such talented players. Quetta has given him (Hasnain) an opportunity and he has grabbed it with both hands.” Bravo said he enjoys playing leagues around the world.

https://dailytimes.com.pk/361080/bravo-happy-to-pass-his-knowledge-to-young-players-in-psl/

32. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    DJ Bravo impressed by raw pace on display in PSL

ABU DHABI: Quetta Gladiators all-rounder Dwayne Bravo – popularly known as DJ Bravo – is impressed with the raw pace that has dominated the ongoing season of the Pakistan Super League.

Speaking to Geo after Sarfraz Ahmed-led Quetta sealed a spot in the playoffs with a win over Peshawar Zalmi, Bravo said it is heartening to see so much raw talent on display.

“[We’ve seen] raw pace by the youngsters, they just need more game time and more confidence,” the West Indian cricketer said, referring to the quartet of Haris Rauf, Mohammad Hasnain, Mohammad Ilyas and Mohammad Musa who have impressed everyone with 145+ bowling speeds.

Bravo said team Quetta have the strongest combination in the tournament, and that he is looking forward to visiting Pakistan for the last leg of the league.

“Pakistan is a cricket-crazy nation and I know I have a fan following there. I’m looking forward to visiting,” he said.

https://www.geo.tv/psl/latest/230074-dj-bravo-impressed-by-raw-pace-on-display-in-psl

33. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Quetta will not miss me in Pakistan, says Shane

Shane Watson steered Quetta Gladiators to an eight-wicket win over Peshawar Zalmi in the Pakistan Super League match held at the Sheikh Zayed Cricket Stadium on Monday.

Watson with his man-of the-match winning knock of 91 topped the leading run-scorers with 317 runs from eight matches. But despite the heroics and absolute domination over the Peshawar opponent, the Australian said his services will not be missed as the playoffs will be held in Karachi.

Watson is still in 'talks' with his wife and parents about playing the Pakistan leg of the tournament.

"I have always liked playing against them in international cricket. I always enjoyed the support people of Pakistan have given me. I will continue to talk to my family. We will see," he said after the match.

Watson doesn't feel his services will be missed during Karachi matches. "We have incredibly talented squad. With the depth in our squad I am not worried at all. We have a stronger squad this year. We have filled few holes in our squad that we had in a last year or so," he noted.

Reflecting on his knock, Watson likened Abu Dhabi wicket with Australian ones.
    "This is a beautiful place to play. I have always enjoyed batting here. It's probably the closest to what you get to play like in Australia. The wicket here has some good pace and bounce. The wicket in Dubai and Sharjah are nice but don't offer much bounce which I am used to," the Queensland all-rounder said.
    Watson praised Ahmed Shehzad with whom he shared 129-run partnership. "He took pressure of me at times. It was nice to bat with him."

https://www.khaleejtimes.com/sport/cricket/quetta-will-not-miss-me-in-pakistan-says-shane

34. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    So there is still a small chance of him coming. Will be a massive loss again if he doesn't go which is looking more likely

35. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Shehzad, Akmal key to Gladiators’ success: Moin, Azam

Head Coach of Habib Bank Limited (HBL) Pakistan Super League (PSL) franchise Moin Khan and team manager Azam Khan believe that opener Ahmed Shehzad and middle-order batsman Umar Akmal are pivotal to side’s success.

While talking in an exclusive interview with Cricket Pakistan, Quetta team management threw weight behind out of favour Pakistan cricketers and backed them to make a comeback in the national side.

Moin was hopeful that Akmal would go on to become the best batsman of the tournament.

“Umar was always a good player and he usually remains in form. But you need to know how to handle a player,” said Moin. “He has been out of the side for quite a while now. He is performing very well, which is always a good sign for any player who is aiming to comeback. I hope becomes the best batsman of the tournament and make his way back into the team.”

While speaking about Shehzad, Moin said: “It is cricket and good or bad form is part and parcel of the game. Ahmed is still struggling a bit, but I have a clear thought in my mind that he is an excellent player and he needs to perform to make a comeback.”

Meanwhile Azam said that the duo will lead Gladiators to their first-ever HBL PSL triumph.

“There is never been a problem in handling Umar Akmal and Ahmed Shehzad. These two are great players,” he said. “We demand good game from them and they are doing it as well.”

He added: “I have said it before and I’m saying it again, these two are good cricketers and they will answer their critics by winning the tournament for us.”

Sharing his thoughts about the team’s performance during the ongoing PSL4, Moin said: “Of course I’m quite happy with the team’s performance. We have got a good bunch of cricketers and they are playing with a Gladiator’s sprit.”

He also hailed the way captain Sarfaraz Ahmed was leading the side and his response to critics.

“I don’t see any lack of confidence in Sarfaraz. Sometime controversies and situation brings the performance down and this is what happened with Sarfaraz as well,” he said. “But he takes all that criticism in a positive way and responded with his performance.”

https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/news/detail/shehzad-akmal-key-to-gladiators-success-moin-azam

36. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    ‘Fill the stadium as cricket comes home’ Sarfraz asks cricket fans

[​IMG]
    Sarfraz Ahmed asked the cricket fans in Karachi to fill the historic National stadium as the high-profile cricket action will return to the country.

“It’s a big event and I want every Karachiite to celebrate this extravaganza like a festival,” said Sarfraz on his arrival in Karachi after completing the Pakistan Super League’s (PSL) UAE leg.

Sarfraz said that his team’s preparations are on high and they will try to amuse the cricket fans in Pakistan with quality cricket. “We are hopeful to put a great show in front of an excited crowd of Karachi,” he said.

Former cricketer Moin Khan rated the PSL as one of the popular leagues around the world and said that it has given Pakistan’s cricket a unique identity. “PSL is now a brand of Pakistan,” he stated.

Khan said that they are really looking forward to play in front of Karachi’s crowd who was waiting to see cricketing action filled with excitement. “Karachi! We are ready to have some action at National Stadium,” said Khan who is hopeful for a successful stint of PSL.

It is pertinent to mention here that the franchises have started reaching Karachi to participate in PSL’s Pakistan leg. Quetta Gladiators was the first to arrive in Karachi on Wednesday. The foreign players of teams are expected to reach Karachi by Friday.

https://arysports.tv/fill-stadiums-cricket-comes-home-sarfraz-appeals-cricket-fans/

37. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Quetta Gladiators' kit to turn green for matches in Pakistan

[​IMG]

DUBAI: The Pakistan Super League (PSL) team, Quetta Gladiators, is all set to turn green during the Pakistani leg of the season as the team has introduced new home kits for the remaining matches set to be played in Karachi.

A Gladiators official confirmed to Geo News that the golden shades on the team's purple jersey will soon change to green during the games scheduled in Pakistan.

“The idea was to introduce home kits as we don’t have different 'home' and 'away' kits in the PSL so far. So, we tried different combinations and decided to go with green,” Nabeel Hashmi, the Gladiators' media manager, said.

When asked why they opted for green, Hashmi said it was because the colour represents Pakistan. “We chose green because we are playing matches in Pakistan.

"There was no better way to celebrate games in Pakistan for us than adding green to our shirts,” he added, noting that this will be the first time a team using a dedicated home kit in the PSL.

Gladiators are already certain as the group toppers in the PSL and were set to play at least three games on home soil.

They will play the last league match against Karachi Kings before playing the first qualifier; a win would take them to final but a defeat would make them play an eliminator match against the winner of a playoff between the third and fourth on the tables.

https://www.geo.tv/psl/latest/230264-gladiators-green

38. Patriot

Patriot Boom Boom

Oct 8, 2014
  39. Gotham Cronie

Gotham Cronie Youngsta Beauty

Jan 14, 2015
    Very catchy

40. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Bowling stands out in HBL PSL from other leagues, says Watson

Former Australia all-rounder Shane Watson believes bowling standard in the HBL Pakistan Super League makes the tournament stand-out from other events around the world, hoping the quality of matches will be raised when the event resumes in Karachi from Saturday.

The 37-year-old will be a star attraction for Quetta Gladiators in the final-leg after agreeing to visit Karachi after expressing regrets in the previous editions.

But Watson, whose absence badly hurt the Gladiators in matches held in Pakistan for the last two years, will be up for competition this time around.

“I think PSL is a great tournament that I am playing. The thing that stands out for me is the bowling compared to all other tournaments I have played in. The challenge will be more when the matches are played in Karachi,” said Watson, who became the second batsmen to score 1,000 runs in HBL PSL.

He has so far scored 1,016 in 34 matches as compared to Kamran Akmal’s 1,083 in 43 matches.

Watson, who played 59 Tests, 190 ODIs and 58 T20Is, praised bowlers who are hitting 150kph mark.

“There are, at least, one or two fast bowlers in every team who are bowling close to 150kph, which only happens in one or two teams in other leagues. So, that for me is a huge stand-out and signs of strength of Pakistan cricket. They have always produced some high quality fast bowlers,” said Watson.

Watson hopes people will come in great numbers to make the last leg successful.

“I am sure that everyone will turn out in their droves to support, not just the Quetta Gladiators but also the PSL. It’s a great tournament and I can’t wait to get there,” said Watson.

Watson recalls his only tour to Pakistan with Australia ‘A’ in 2005.

“I have been to Pakistan for Australia ‘A’ in 2005. I had a great time and it was a high quality Pakistan ‘A’ team that we played against. We played in Islamabad and Lahore, so it was a great tour. They are a cricket loving public and I am looking forward to tour again.”

Watson singled-out Rumman Raees and Mohammad Hasnain as real talents emerging from the HBL PSL.

“One person that stands-out for me in the Islamabad team is Rumman Raees,” said Watson of the left-arm paceman, who graduated from the first edition of the HBL PSL to play for Pakistan.

“Rumman is a young fast bowler who can swing the ball both ways. He can change his pace well. This year we have Mohammad Hasnain (Quetta) who is someone who is incredibly fast and is raw, but has incredible skills for a young man. We are going to see a lot of him in the next few years to come.”

Watson said he has always enjoyed the HBL PSL, having played for Islamabad United and now for Quetta Gladiators.

“For me, the experience is amazing. Even the opening ceremony of the first edition was excellent. The quality of cricket is very good and the overseas players make it a high quality event. The conditions in UAE are great, so it’s always been high quality cricket and is a great tournament.”

Watson reckons T20 leagues around the world are helping youngsters groom.

“Twenty leagues are definitely helping and getting out to the younger generations of the game,” said Watson, who has also featured in Indian Premier League and Big Bash in Australia.

“The Big Bash league in Australia has attracted so many young families who usually don't come to international cricket. It is an opportunity for young players to be able to play and make a career, which is a great thing.

“With leagues around the world, they have more opportunities and that is the beauty. Players hope to play international cricket and only a few select get the opportunity. But we must make sure to make a balance between these leagues and international cricket.”

https://www.psl-t20.com/news/942/