Rain spoils the show for Australia against Bangladesh

Discussion in 'Match Archive' started by Munna, Jun 5, 2017.

Rain spoils the show for Australia against Bangladesh

by Munna
Jun 5, 2017 at 2:00 PM
  1. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Aus-v-Ban.jpg

Rain seems to follow Australia whenever it is in England for the ICC Champions Trophy.

In 2013, when Australia took on New Zealand in Birmingham, rain spoilt its chances when New Zealand was 51 for 2 chasing 244. Australia went on to lose its next match as well and returned home after a winless campaign.

Four years on, Australia have played two games, and both have ended in no-results because of rain. By its captain’s own admission, Australia got away in the first match against New Zealand but was very unlucky to miss out on full points in the Monday match against Bangladesh at The Oval.

After 16 overs of its innings, when play was called off, Australia was well ahead of the DLS par total, but had to be content with just one point as rain prevented the four more overs needed to make it a valid match.

“A little bit frustrating obviously not to get a result in,” conceded Smith after the game. “The groundsmen could have shown a bit more urgency being a big tournament. But I think they did the best job they could, and the umpires said it was an 8.30 start, so you've got to do what the umpires say.”

Smith said the wait for the action to restart wasn't fun, but stressed that Australia's players were in good spirits and eager to take on England in its final group match.

“Guys were doing all different things. I was actually playing a crossword,” he smiled. “You can't do much when it's raining, really. You just have to switch off and know that if you do get back on, be ready to be switched on and be ready to go from ball one. Rain delays aren't that much fun to be honest.

“The other day wasn't great but this game, we were going pretty well and things were looking good. Disappointing not to get a win but can't do much about the weather and we can't control that. The equation is pretty simple for us now. We have to beat England and I think then we're through.”

But despite the no-result, there were plenty of positives for Australia. Smith had been critical of Australia’s bowlers after their performance against New Zealand but was full of praise for them after bowling Bangladesh out for just 182.

“I thought all our bowlers were a lot better today,” he assessed. “We hit some good areas early on and challenged the defence of Bangladeshi batsmen. Everyone that bowled I thought did a pretty good job today, and it was nice that we were able to turn things around from the way things went in the first game against New Zealand.”

Mashrafe Mortaza, meanwhile, conceded that Bangladesh was lucky to escape but hoped the break would help them qualify for the knockouts, just like it did in a similar situation in the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015.

“Well, you never know,” he said of his side’s chances. “I think even in 2015 World Cup, we got one point from Australia and went through. It really helped us. This time we have a chance. We have to beat New Zealand and obviously we have to wait for a few results as well. So our job is to play hard against New Zealand and if we can go through, then you never know.”

Mortaza was candid in his admission that Australia was ahead but pointed out that Smith’s men too had a lucky break in their game against New Zealand. “I think Australia was far ahead of us,” he said. “But if you look at last match between New Zealand and Australia, I think Australia (was) also in the same position (as us).

“So you can't do anything with weather. Both teams are now in the situation that Australia has to win against England and we have a great chance to beat New Zealand and go through. So let’s wait and see.”

Australia takes on England in Birmingham on June 10 while Bangladesh plays New Zealand a day earlier in Cardiff.

https://www.icc-cricket.com/champions-trophy/news/407733

Munna puts his talent of making up stuff to good use for writing boring articles and reports on Cricistan, though he once won the Most Cheerful Poster of Cricistan award.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

1. Mohsin

Mohsin Cricistani

Feb 21, 2010
      Once Tamim goes, theyll fold

2. axl100mph

axl100mph Cricistani

Nov 23, 2016
      Watching this bangla team is 10 times more exciting than our pack of snails.

3. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
      Its a solid team now esp the batting. Even Mashrafe at no. 9 is no dud with the bat... at least better than some of our lower order heart throbs

4. axl100mph

axl100mph Cricistani

Nov 23, 2016
      They have very attractive strokemakers. The guy I love the most is Sabbir. Elegant, has flair and more importantly is a clutch player, unlike our softie Babu azam

5. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
      Its all in the mindset man. They play freely now and don't get intimidated by oppositions.

Only weak link in their batting is this guy Imrul Kayes at no. 3... otherwise all their other batsmen play their strokes and have healthy strike rates.

Babar's hype has started to wither away now... if he continues this decline, it won't be long before he will join his cousins' category. Anyway, he's not the lone warrior we need to complain about in our brigade.

6. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Active Member

Nov 13, 2015
      Tamim playing another selfish knock, by the looks of it.

7. axl100mph

axl100mph Cricistani

Nov 23, 2016
      Intent alone cant help you score quick. You need to have ability too. Our guys just lack ability. They dont pick length quick enough, lack a decent hand-eye co-ordination, and above all are chicken hearted under pressure.

8. Mohsin

Mohsin Cricistani

Feb 21, 2010
      If Australia can finish Bangladesh off soon, the chase will be very entertaining considering the rain in the air

9. iho

iho Cricistani

Aug 7, 2010
      Sabbir averages 28 in ODIs

10. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
      Tamim the lone warrior for Bangladesh

11. iho

iho Cricistani

Aug 7, 2010

12. iho

iho Cricistani

Aug 7, 2010

13. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
      Tamim OUT for 95. Unlucky to miss 2nd ton in a row.

14. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
      Bangladesh losing the plot in the end.

15. iho

iho Cricistani

Aug 7, 2010
      Starc on fire like Waseem Akram

16. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
      Bangladesh all out for 182 runs inside 45 overs.

17. Del

Del Cricistani

Dec 21, 2016
      Man this Starc is the real deal, should've got 5fer.

18. Del

Del Cricistani

Dec 21, 2016
      Indeed, first and foremost then lack ability, all of them are similar, inept players. Sometimes I've to focus to see who's at the crease.

Then it comes to intellectual level, none of them are smart to read the game. None of them can disturb bowlers line and length. None of them can dictate any term to any bowler in the world.

Then it comes to the courageousness, all of them are chicken hearted, who can do zilch under pressure.

Above all, their inability to rotate strike is last nail in the coffin.

19. Mohsin

Mohsin Cricistani

Feb 21, 2010
      Oh dear...rain has arrived (an hour odd later than expected granted)

20. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
      What a fazool weather of UK to play such a tournament. Rain had affected every match bar maybe one.

21. Mohsin

Mohsin Cricistani

Feb 21, 2010
      lol i love how we're pissing everyone off with our weather

22. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2012
      Good weather for Ramadan.

23. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Active Member

Nov 13, 2015
      Is Mitchell Starc the 3rd best ODI fast bowler of all time?

24. axl100mph

axl100mph Cricistani

Nov 23, 2016
      I dont care. I see great potential in him.

25. axl100mph

axl100mph Cricistani

Nov 23, 2016
      Who are the top 2?
      Vaas and imran khan 3?

26. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
      Imran Khan Jr. and Mohammad Nawaz

27. axl100mph

axl100mph Cricistani

Nov 23, 2016
      But they all know the basic skill, and that is how to survive in the team. They are like cockroaches who never die despite you stomping them.

28. axl100mph

axl100mph Cricistani

Nov 23, 2016
      Ye, I stand corrected.

29. Mohsin

Mohsin Cricistani

Feb 21, 2010
      If NZ win tomorrow, the England-Australia game could be a virtual QF

30. iho

iho Cricistani

Aug 7, 2010
      I hope England wins tomorrow

31. Energy

Energy Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2012
      So theoretically even Bangladesh can reach the semis, lol.