1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

'Rohit Sharma is my role model' - Haider Ali

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Choi Saab, Jun 19, 2020.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Choi Saab

Choi Saab Smooth Operator

Oct 4, 2014
    https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/29328396/rohit-sharma-my-role-model

Pakistan may currently be coached by two of their most famous batsmen, but for inspiration, the newest member of their squad is looking slightly east. The Attock-born Haider Ali, who rose to national prominence after scoring a half-century for Pakistan in an otherwise painfully one-sided defeat to India in the Under-19 World Cup semi-final earlier this year, views India's Rohit Sharma as his main inspiration.

"As far as role models are concerned, mine is Rohit Sharma," Haider said in a video press conference. "I really like him as a player, and want to give the side an aggressive start at the top, and hit the ball cleanly like him. He is a man for all three formats, and he can adapt his game to all three formats. And the thing I like best is when he crosses 50, he moves on to a 100, and then he's thinking of 150, and even 200. That's what I want to do: to think about getting big scores, and when I get there, aim for even bigger ones. He finishes the game off for his side, and is a real match-winner."

A good article to be honest, although I've no opinion on Haider as of yet due to not watching him except reading his stats without context.

But ...

Rohit Sharma is a good role model to be honest, especially the hunger which even Haider alludes to, to score and score big.

From the article and what Haider says, seems to be a level headed guy which generally bodes well.

2. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    His role model should be Saeed Anwar, Aamir Sohail, Inzamam, Yousuf, Younus, Misbah and Asim Kamal and Salman Butt. Rohit Sharma kahan se role model hogaya iska?

3. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Kuch nahi to Shoaib Malik ko role model bana le bhai!!

4. PakistanZindabad!

PakistanZindabad! Cornered Tiger

Sep 29, 2012
    Because Asim Kamal averages 37 with 0 centuries and Salman Butt averages even less

5. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    Everyone has a free choice to follow their role model. So all good to Haider Ali.

If I was to EVER pick a role model from the India team, the only person I can think of is Rahul Dravid.

6. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Asim Kamal averages 38 cus he only played 12 tests and scored 8 50s all fighting knocks in crisis situations, which shows his temperament. Out of these 12 tests, he was asked to bat at No. 3 in couple of tests when he was comfortable and scoring runs in the middle order at 5 or 6. He was not selected after the retirement of Inzamam and parchi player Javed Miandads nephew Faisal Iqbal was selected who has an average of 25 in 25 tests. Had Asim Kamal been allowed to play further, his average would have improved and Pakistan would not have slumped in rankings. This is what happens when u do injustice to someone. Same they kept doing with Fawad Alam.

7. PakistanZindabad!

Sep 29, 2012
    He averaged 34 in first class cricket. His 37 average was him over performing

8. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Sometimes domestic average does not matter. Look at his technique and temperament. In our domestic cricket, rubbish players average over 50 and solid players average in 30s, what happens when they come in international cricket they get exposed, Faisal Iqbal to 25 tests mein 25 average kar raha tha and Asim Kamal was averaging 38 in 12 tests, so who was better between the two??

9. PakistanZindabad!

Sep 29, 2012
    The point is there were both crap and neither should be a role model for young batters.

10. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Nahi 8 50s in 12 tests is crap? All those 50s came under pressure in crisis situations. Sometimes you got to look at situations in which those runs are coming./ Those runs came in most difficult situations and difficult conditions. He scored i think 99 in South Africa with the tail, 87 in Australia and played several innings similar to this. Salman Butt played so many more innings than him yet averages 30 in test cricket whereas Asim Kamal averaged 38 in 12 tests so imagine what would he average had he played atleast 50 tests...

11. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Saare drawing room experts hein... just watch those innings on youtube if those are available then come back... ac wale rooms mein bhet kar cricket dekhna aur ground mein khelne mein buhat difference hai..

12. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    50 ya 100 banane ke liye 4 ghante 8 ghante mehnat lagti hai out hone mein sirf 1 ball chahye hoti hai...

13. PakistanZindabad!

Sep 29, 2012
    And you think a conversion rate of 0 is great? There are much better batsmen out there from every country, there is a reason no one rated these players.
    Haider Ali picking Rohit Sharma as inspiration is a good thing. Idc if he’s Indian if Haider bats like him

14. Choi Saab

Choi Saab Smooth Operator

Oct 4, 2014
    @Shahzad.Firdous I agree.

Imagine;

Head coach Shahzad Firdous
    Batting coach Asim Kamal
    Bowling coach Mohammed Asif
    A/R coach Shoaib Malik

Wah wah, you guys would create the strongest Pakistam team ever, even the great IK's team would pale in front of what you guys would create.

15. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    Is that a kabbaddi team?

16. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    I would say sharma is the best odi batsman in the world atm

So clearly a great choice

And lol at making shoaib malik his idol

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

17. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Conversion rate is 0 cus he used to bat at 6 and bat with tail... all of his knocks were fighting knocks batting with the tail..

18. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    India se larki kaise bhagani hai uski bhi training deinge...

19. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    Agreed.

20. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Bhai agar yeh banda Sachin Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman mein se kisi eik ko apna idol banata to i would have not only appreciated him but also given him a medal but he is idolizing Rohit Sharma who is by no means a legend... Atleast aap idolize usko to karo jo game mein koi haisiat rakhta ho,... Shoaib Malik currently jaisa bhi hai but eik zamana tha when he was young on 2005 India tour, Indian bowlers usko bowling kara kara kar thak jate the eik dot ball khilana mushkil ban jata tha Malik ko itna zabardast No. 3 per batting karta tha...

21. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    give the kid a break, he likes sharma's batting who may not be a legend but he is a terrific limited overs batsman, he hits some big tons very consistently. give him that.

22. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    OK bhai jo iski khushi but Pakistan ko jeetata hai to he should be in the team..

23. thair9999

thair9999 Emerging Player

Oct 17, 2010
    Right on, in my opinion Rahul Dravid was also best Indian batsman and Sourav Ganguly after him.