1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Sajdah on Cricket Field

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Passionate Pakistani, Jun 19, 2012.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
    How many of you find it annoying? And recently i have seen players doing sajdah even after scoring Half centuries ( Umer Akmal, Asad Shafiq)...

i think soon we will see these players doing Sajdah after hitting a four and six.

There is nothing wrong in it but cant we keep religion out of cricket (You can still say Alhamdulilah), what is the point of showing off by doing sajda after every small milestone?

2. Kashif

Kashif Pehlwaan

Dec 27, 2009
    Our Pakistan do it so rarely in the ODIs nowadays. Surely it can only be an act of God.

3. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Most of the non-Muslims are not scared/afraid to display their emotional attachment to their religion, so why are we offended when a Muslim displays his/her religion in any sphere of life?

Second of showing-off is irrelevant because even if a Sajdah is done to show-off than leave it on Allah to Judge it why should we try to become a judge to our brethren act of thanks?

4. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    i havent seen many non-muslims doing their religious actsbon crickets field (though i have seen some looking at heaven)

true, imnt the one judging nor iam a judge but to do these sajdas after every small milestone is really annoying.

5. Kashif

Kashif Pehlwaan

Dec 27, 2009
    Because most of them are atheists :)

6. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Haven't you saw Yusuf when he was not a revert to make a mark of cross after reaching 50, likewise there are many more.I have seem few in my playing day thanking god after taking wicket or after getting off the mark. Only issue is that Sajdah is more prominent hence more visible to most of us.

To thank Allah in whichever way after any kind of achievement is personal thing. We can't say that it is wrong merely because we don't like that act of display. For all we know that one act of Sajdah after reaching fifty may end up as the solo reason to enter Heaven for someone.

If you find it annoying my request to you will be to take it as a sign of reminder from Allah for us to remember Him in good & bad times.

7. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Young Kid doing a Sajda and Spot Fixing in same game. :D

8. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011

well said.

i didnt say its wrong though.

9. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    This is between ALLAH and the individual so we should not feel offended by how an individual thanks his lord and for what?

10. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    As its said, it all depends on the intentions within the heart. If a person wants to sincerely thank Allah for giving him the strength to pass the test, then why not. But if its done as a fashion statement, then there's no real need for it.

11. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    My mistake, you never said it was wrong.

12. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    He was naive of what he was doing.

13. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    I do think it's a bit over the top to do it for everything. Doing it for a fifty implies you think you have done your job when in reality, you haven't. I think by all means do it, but do it when you've really achieved something.....otherwise, as mentioned, you might as well do it every time you get a single....or even every time you take a breath. Your entire life might as well just be a collection of sajdahs.

Why can't you just quietly thank God in your head or say a prayer in your head? To me it seems a bit showy.....I don't know if it actually is but that's how it seems to me.

Anyway it's not a big issue and isn't affecting the performance or concentration of the players so we shouldn't stop them from doing it and there are bigger issues in Pakistan cricket for example our inability to catch or hit the stumps, which is what cost us this series.

14. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    It is a personal matter, we should be proud of it rather than ashamed of it.
    I've seen all the Srilankan/Indians making the cross sign before starting an innings/spell.

Only Muslims are capable of criticizing another Muslim on an act of worship. Unfortunately, we want to look like others and do not want ourselves to be unique in any aspect which is the reason for our downfall as well.

However, personally I would just say "Alhamdulillah-ill-aze-bei'zzate hey wajallalehe tatimmus-salihaat" which is the Dua for Thanking God after you achieve something you wanted.
    If I reach a hundred/double hundred then I would probably do Sajda but I may be wrong since I am not sure I really understand the emotions of an International Player who achieves Fifities/Hundreds and other milestones.

15. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    Passionate Pakistani i actually like emotional attachment with the religion n i like players doing sajdah on field to thank ALLAH!! having said that, i've heard that one needs to be in "wudhu" to do sajdah :moyo

16. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Purity or Wudu is not a requirement for Sajdah.

17. Cover Drive

Cover Drive Talented

Apr 13, 2012
    They do the shahjuud to thank Allah (SWT) for the feat. In my opinion, it is not harmful.

If a Christian does his cross then thats fine but if a person does Sajda then it is problematic?:)

18. Shahid Afridi rulez

Shahid Afridi rulez Talented

Sep 9, 2011
    I don't see why people are having a problem against doing sajdah, there is nothing wrong in doing it, as it is just a way of thanking Allah (SWT).

They can do it whenever they feel like. If they think they should do it after they get a 50 what is wrong in that?

As for the showing off part, Allah (SWT) knows best, so I think we should leave that matter between Allah (SWT)
    and them.

19. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    There's nothing wrong with doing a Sajdah, it's an expression of joy/thanks. If people can pump their arms or run around pretending to be an aeroplane then why not a Sajdah?

It's personal choice when they choose to do it but I would prefer if it was only for a century or a five wicket haul. Doing it after 50s or every wicket seems a bit excessive and comes across as playing to the gallery more than anything else.

20. pak_fan_4_life

pak_fan_4_life Talented

May 14, 2012
    Whats wrong with doing the sajda?
    i mean its different, no other team does it, an it represents islam within a sport, i think its good...

21. Geordie Ahmed

Geordie Ahmed Emerging Player

Mar 17, 2012
    I was about to say this very thing BUT then it dawned on me you get numerous footballers do the cross when they enter the pitch, in that sense doing a sajdah for a 50 is somewhat understandable, you can see in my avatar Cisse doing the sajdah and he didn't even score :)

Ultimately it is up to each individual, only Allah (swt) knows their true intentions

22. Saul Goodman

Saul Goodman Smooth Operator

Jun 12, 2011
    I find it irritating. Its quite pretentious really, like the almighty really thinks that hitting a leather ball with a piece of wood is more important he'd personally intervene. In the grand scheme of things cricket is irrelevant.

23. AAKS

AAKS Youngsta Beauty

Sep 18, 2011
    Exactly, i really don't get why so many people have a problem with the players doing a Sajda. Its just their way of thanking Allah(SWT)

24. Prince of Pakistan

Prince of Pakistan Talented

Jun 16, 2012
    Doing a sajdah after a fifty tells something about our standards. A batsman's aim should only be to score a hundred and nothing less.

25. Cover Drive

Cover Drive Talented

Apr 13, 2012
    I will disagree with you here ; we should always be thankful to Allah (SWT) in our lives, be it for such a small matter even

26. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    i think prince was on the sarcastic side.

27. Cover Drive

Cover Drive Talented

Apr 13, 2012

Hum ghahreeb logg prince kay aagay kya hai? :p

28. ehtesham

ehtesham Cornered Tiger

Sep 10, 2011
    oye hoye!! ghareeb to daikho zara :p

29. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Hashim Amla with no Sajdah even after 300

And our batsmen doing sajdah even after half centuries..

Soon they will be doing sajdahs after hitting a four or Six ;)

30. HashiBaba

HashiBaba Talented

Dec 24, 2009
    Exactly!
    Doing a sajdah doesn't make you a good Muslim.

You can just as easily quietly thank God in your head without this outward show of bowing on the ground.

Yes, we should always be grateful to Allah for everything we have.....but would you still say that if our batsman started doing sajdahs after every four? Every six? How about every run?

You have to draw a line somewhere.

31. Talha3

Talha3 Youngsta Beauty

Jun 28, 2012
    Does anyone know who was the first man to do a Sajdah on a cricket pitch? Has any non-pakistani ever done it?

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with doing it after 100 or a 5fer. Even atheists have their own celebrations, so if someone wants to use that time for thanking their lord, it's their choice. It's not disrespectful and it's not wasting time. If someone performs it after scoring 50, I wouldn't curse them for it but it does seem quite unnecessary. Using the same example, even atheists have a relatively muted celebration after 50, which is more of an acknowledgement for the crowd's applause.

32. Invictus

Invictus Talented

Feb 15, 2010
    I guess I have the same thing to say: Don't care if you do the sajda, the chicken dance or the labamba, as long as you have done something worth-while. The sajda after a 50 or a five-for when the game isn't even done yet is sad. It just shows you have low standards. No one thanks the big fella when the job is half done, you don't go to an interview and half way through the interview fall on the floor to thank the big fella up-stairs. Because you know that the deed is not done yet.
    So why choose a 50 ? Because to these guys 50 is THE target. It guarantees the series for these guys which is sad.

33. isaacking

isaacking Talented

Jul 16, 2010
    Who are we to decide what achievement qualifies to for a Sajdah, We all are trying to play God?

For someone even a single wicket or single run may be good enough reason to thank Allah & it is not our job to decide what act he/she can do to thank Allah. There are limitation on our duty as Muslim & we must stay within those limitations. Let not play judge for other person action.

34. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    I think it's completely unnecessary and it bothers me when players do it after a 50.

Don't see what the point is.

It's not about being offended when they do it. A sajdah is unnecessary and looks showy. Don't see why they can't just make a quick du'a and get on with it. I'm not even sure they do the sajdah towards the Ka'bah.

35. AZK

AZK Emerging Player

Mar 3, 2010
    ICC should look into this matter and and set some sort of ground rules, how dare the players thank the Almighty after a 50.

36. Sixer

Sixer Emerging Player

Aug 23, 2010
    Umar Akmal bats so low down the order that to make a 50 is his only chance of making a milestone during the innings, let him thank the almighty.

37. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011

Ah come on I know that Umar should bat up but this is just an exaggeration.

Though I don't mind them thanking Allah after their milestones, everybody has a different way of celebration. Probably some people silently thank Allah while others are moved to do the sajda. Different strokes for different folks. It's not a problem imho

38. Bouncer

Bouncer Talented

Jan 14, 2010
    The easiest way to hide/cover incompetency in the blanket of religion, after all they are Pakistanis where chances of you getting noticed by people depend less on your skill set and more on who you know, what background you have and what’s the length of your beard and how Islamic you can make yourself look.

Salman butt probably used to recite Aaait-Al-Kursi in same games where he used to be indulging in spot and in cases even match fixing. Subhaan allah.

39. Bouncer

Bouncer Talented

Jan 14, 2010
    Cover Drive
    so, if your profession is banking and you are a teller at a bank, should you take a break from your work and perform a sajda as soon as someone comes to your counter and takes his money out or asks you a question? after all, that is your job and you should be thankful to allah subhan e tala for blessing you with an opportunity to hand out someone's $$ from their bank account?

same goes for a clerk at grocery store, does he need to make a sajda and thank god after every sale that he has made and everytime he helped a suctomer?

40. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011

Aamir did sajdah and spot fixing in the same game. hypocrite of the highest level.