Salman Butt over Imran Nazir and Shahzaib Hasan??

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Mar 12, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    This is a pointless selection, Salman Butt crashed and burned in his previous World Cup appearances. He clearly held the team back and is just not a T20 player.

Even in the recently concluded RBS Cup, despite being the captain he himself had no idea where to play Salman Butt. He didnt have confidence in his own ability to open successfully at T20 level.

Can anyone fathom on what basis Salman Butt has been selected over Imran Nazir and Shahzaib Hasan. Butt cant field like Nazir or hit like either.

2. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Emerging Player

Dec 21, 2009
    Pure and absolute ridiculousness.

3. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    As much as I hate Salman Butt as a player (specially in T20s) Nazir's performances do not warrant him a place in Pakistan A side let alone the national team. As for Shahzeb, I think he is crap to be honest. Has a couple of shots and will be figured out at international level soon, he fired as he was an no one really knew anything about him.

4. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    I don't understand Why Pakistanis openers are not allowed to fail in a series or two? Why openers like Imran Nazir need to KEEP performing in every match or every series or every tournament to stay in the team.

My opinion ... Mohsin Khan is another Dummy Selector!

5. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    Thing with Imran Nazir is that he is failing in every match, earlier he used to perform in a couple of games after having 5 or 6 bad ones but that ratio seems to have gone through the roof.

6. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    Beyond me why anyone would pick Salman Butt over Shahzeb or I.Nazir for a T20 wc, even if Butt is in the best form of his life and the other two in their worst.

And I thought Mohsin Khan would be a sensible, honest man.

I can smell corruption. A clear case of Parchee, or $.

7. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
    Butt clearly has something Nazir doesn't have. I am sure he has another Big Butt supporting him big time. Who is it?

He is a decent batsman, but a nightmare in the field.

Half of the team has been banned then why not Butt has become an automatic selection? Such stupid acts are a like trademark for INCOMPETENT Pakistani leadership. Hey stop....isn't our "leadership" a reflection of how we vote, support and how we act ourselves? We have shit up the neck, and we have only ourselves to blame for that!

8. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
    As things are currently in Pakistan, then only "yes-men" can have "success". Others will be kicked out of office hence Mohsin Khan will stay for a while.

9. CRICFAN

CRICFAN Youngsta Beauty

Mar 12, 2010
    Could it be that Salman Butt was made captain and therefore the selectors had no choice.
    What i personally would have done, is take the rest of the new batsmens out who ever the pcb has named, and then out imran nazir in place.
    Or the best option is to take out Shahzaib hasan and put imran nazir in place.
    Salman butt i personally think is good,
    yes, he may be slow, but doesnt get out like others such as.....

10. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Yes but when you're talking about Butt v Nazir in T20 then it's no contest. They've both played 15 T20I games and this is what their stats look like...

Code:
    [b]Inns	Runs @ Avg	S/R	100s	50s	4s	6s	Name[/b]

15	324 @ 23.14	137.9	 0	 2	32	19	[b]Nazir[/b]
     12	244 @ 20.33	131.9	 0	 2	24	15	[b]Nazir (v top 8)[/b]
     15	328 @ 23.42	 96.8	 0	 1	33	 6	[b]Butt[/b]
      8	135 @ 16.87	 94.4	 0	 0	18	 1	[b]Butt (v top 8)[/b]
    They both average around the same but Nazir has one more 50 and a much higher strike rate, plus Nazir has around the same number of 4s but over 3 times as many 6's

If you then take away performances against teams outside the top 8 test teams (eg Excl Zim & BD) then Nazir's performance drops marginally but Butt's plummets drastically.

Nazir may not be the most reliable batsman but he's a much more reliable T20 batsman than Butt against the top teams!

11. CRICFAN

CRICFAN Youngsta Beauty

Mar 12, 2010
    hmmm, i see wat ur saying, but selectors have made a choice which they see best fit, such as if we look at domestic and so on, then pcb would have obviously looked into this, such as new players like hammad azam and so on.

yes, statistics may prove scores.
    But as fans, do we over rate some players,and sometimes under rating them.
    Because as fans we always get proven wrong. were just like the pcb, we cnt make our minds up.

i have a feeling that PCB is going to announce caprtain till 2011 world cup, as always, and then couple of months time, its gna change again. same with younis khan, mo yousuf, afridi, malik, and now maybe with salman butt.

12. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    With Salman Butt, it's not just about stats it's about the whole package. He just isn't a T20 cricketer. He even gets stuck in a rut in Test cricket which is supposed to be the slowest scoring game.

In the 2007 T20 World Cup he was the vice captain and we were going into every game with 10 players, we couldnt open with him so he was coming in at number 4 and doing just as poorly there. In the end we dropped our vice captain because he was useless.

Then in the 2009 World Cup he lasted 3 games before he was dropped again because he just wasnt good enough in this format.

Even in the recent RBS T20 he didn't know where to play himself, he ended up playing guys like Sohail Ahmed out of position because he wasn't good enough to open in T20. The lions had a good enough team to go all the way but Salman was their weakest link and upset the balance.

If I can see that then why cant the selectors and the PCB Chairman? Why would they make him captain of the national T20 team so he can do the same damage there!

13. Nadeem

Nadeem Emerging Player

Dec 22, 2009
    Wasn't Yousuf not selected for purely that reason, surely there must be someone within the PCB who's demanding the inclusion of Salman in the squad. I'd rather give Shahzaib a chance.

14. Bart

Bart Administrator

Dec 18, 2009
    I really don't think it is fair to compare records over time, you have to look at current form. I do not remember the last time Nazir had a decent outing even in T20s ever since he has come back from ICL he has been a complete failure in T20s (international ones). We set ourselves up for a repeat of ICL final every time he walks down to the middle and within an over or two he is back in the hut. The stats you posted do show that Nazir is better then Butt that is mostly because of his performances before he went packing to ICL.

15. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Ok then lets look at T20 games since Nazir came back, he's played 6 matches. All of them have been against non-minnows.

In his first game he smashed 40 runs off 28 balls against World Cup finalists Sri Lanka, In his second game he smashed 58 off 38 balls against a strong T20 team in New Zealand. His third game was against NZ again and he had an average game smashing 19 runs off 12 balls leaving the wicket with Pakistan at 40/1 in the 4th over. Pakistan won the game and no-one else apart from Umar Akmal scored over 26 runs so for the game his score was par.

Now when we look at his last 3 games he has totally failed. Out for 0 v Australia and for 2 then 4 against England. Out of 6 games he did his job in 3 and failed in 3 since his return from ICL.

Since the return of the ICL mafia, Butt's highest score has been 28 v England in the WC followed by 18 and 0 after which he was dropped and the team's fortunes changed.

16. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010
    @Nadeem

"Wasn't Yousuf not selected for purely that reason,... "

I got your point, but Salman Butt is NO Mohammad Yousuf with the bat:)

17. Saqlain Doosra

Saqlain Doosra Youngsta Beauty

Jan 19, 2010
    As someone told me 3 years ago this guy has big backing of generals(unlces). This diseaese will stick pakistan until his retirement and now he will be captain. At least I will save over 1k of spending on cricekt this summer.