Sandpaper Gate - Steve Smith and David Warner banned for 1 year, Bancroft 9 months from all cricket

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by s_h_a_f, Mar 24, 2018.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mohan

Mohan Formerly 'Captain Clutch'

Nov 4, 2014
    CA is not a paindu board like ours.

I would be surprised if Smith and Lehmann survive this.

2. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Well, there are rumours that the culprits might be banned for life. This scandal has really hurt a proud cricketing nation.

3. Mohan

Nov 4, 2014
    Serves them right. I hope we sledge their brains out using this topic when we travel there later this year.

4. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Life ban is harsh. Teach them a lesson yea but not to that extent.

5. Mohan

Nov 4, 2014
    It sets a good precedent. Now even goras who thought they would get away with anything would not dare do such a thing.

Imagine the backlash if a subcontinent team had done this.

If Salman Butt can get a 10 year ban for orchestrating spot fixing (something which didn't really affect the result of the game, so an offense of much less magnitude compared to this), then Smith deserves a much harsher punishment now that he has admitted their entire think tank had decided to do this.

6. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    According to reports, Darren Lehman is to quit in the next 24hrs.

7. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    HUSSAIN SLAMS AUSTRALIAN ‘DOUBLE STANDARDS’ OVER BALL SCANDAL

LONDON: Ex-England skipper Nasser Hussain says the premeditated nature of Australia’s ball-tampering sets it apart from previous cases of cheating in cricket and is adamant that captain Steve Smith must shoulder lots of the blame.

Smith, 28, was banned for one Test by the International Cricket Council (ICC) after admitting he and a group of his players planned ball tampering during the third Test against South Africa.

He is expected to face a harsh sanction from Cricket Australia for his role in the plot, which saw team-mate Cameron Bancroft tamper with the ball by using yellow sticky tape, before desperately trying to conceal the evidence down the front of his trousers.

“Ball-tampering has always been part of the game, so we should be careful not to get too holier-than-thou,” Hussain wrote in a column for Britain’s Daily Mail newspaper.“But what makes the Australians’ behaviour in Cape Town different from other instances, I believe, is the premeditated nature of the crime.”

The former England skipper said Smith must be held to account for his role in the scandal.“He finds himself in charge of a very good cricket team but a team that are not especially popular, even back home in Australia,” he wrote.“It’s not necessarily the captain’s job is to be popular, but it is his job to ensure his side are playing within the spirit of the game.”

https://www.thenews.com.pk/latest/297141-hussain-slams-australian-double-standards-over-ball-scandal

8. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Team mates want Warner removed from hotel

DISGRACED Australian vice-captain David Warner has further outraged devastated teammates by swilling champagne in the bar of the team hotel in Cape Town with non-cricket mates, foxsports.com.au understands.

Several of Warner’s already furious teammates have asked cricket bosses to have the disgraced batsman ‘removed’ from the team hotel, warning there could be an ‘incident’ between Warner and angry players if he remains.

Foxsports.com.au has been told Warner removed himself from a WhatsApp group between the players, with one source saying he had ‘gone rogue’ since news of the ball tampering saga broke.

As Cricket Australia boss James Sutherland was due to land in Cape Town later tonight or tomorrow morning to impose penalties on players involved, it’s believed several players in the Australian team were not aware of the tampering plot until damning footage of Cameron Bancroft scrubbing the ball with yellow tape appeared on the big screen at the ground.

It comes as reports emerged suggesting Warner was the ring leader of the ball-tampering scandal.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...t/news-story/4d13aa1f3b1af2dc5412d38ea9479b37

9. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Apr 26, 2011
    It seems like its all over for Warner at least. CA should get rid of this guy.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  10. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
  11. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    Get the popcorn out!

12. Mohan

Nov 4, 2014
    I hope they get the boot from IPL too.

When we can kick out the likes of Sreesanth, why not these guys?

13. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Meet the man who alerted the cameramen

[​IMG]

14. maddgenius

maddgenius Fantasy Draft Wins: 4

Oct 6, 2014
    Afridi was caught biting the ball and he got suspended for 2 T20I's only

15. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
  16. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
  17. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
  18. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
  19. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
  20. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
  21. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    I feel CA unnecessarily drew this out. If they had removed Smith and Warner instantly it would have cooled the anger of the baying mob.

I hope for his own sake and for the sake of world cricket Steve Smith is not given a life ban for this offence.

I feel very sorry for him. What he did was wrong, how he reacted to it was wrong but he doesnt deserve this level of criticism.

22. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    I think punishment for such offences in CA is a life ban.

23. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
    Nothing is going to happen, even Lehman kept his job and none of the others apart from Smith , Bancroft and Warner were in on it.

24. godzilla

godzilla Smooth Operator

May 12, 2016
    its sad, but I would support a life ban, just like I did with the fixers. it deprives spectators of exceptional talent, but unless you do it, the sport ceases to become a sport. the bigger picture is more important.

I have to say im impressed at how seriously CA seem to be taking, particularly if you place this reaction side by side with the PCB in 2010, and their professionalism. That said, I find it very difficult to believe that Lehman had nothing to do with it. Far more likely he has dirt on the board which has saved his career.

I'm glad to see Bancroft sent home too, youth is no excuse in my book, particularly when he lied about the tape and pulled out his glasses case or whatever - im afraid that kind of behaviour is unacceptable on any level.

impressed to see CA starting to do what the lame ICC should have been doing.

25. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    Bro. You feel sorry for him? Why? Is it because he's white? Because that's the only legitimate reason I can think of. Unless you're taking ball tampering itself lightly.

At the end of the day, irrespective of your thoughts on ball tampering, it is considered cheating. Smith cheated the game. And that's all that matters. He deserves every little bit of criticism and more.

26. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    Lol nah not because he is white but because the faux righteous indignation is too much and the level of criticism is not worthy of the crime.

As someone who has only played the sport to a very low level I can tell you that bending the rules is common place. It is wrong but wow the level of criticism leveled by hypocrites like the English and Saffers is unbelievable.

He should be given a ban...but a life ban is too extreme.

27. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    I agree that bending rules is common. I also agree that a life ban is too extreme. But the difference here is that these guys probably had a meeting to discuss and agree on ball tampering. That, IMO, makes it way worse and does not make me feel sorry for Smith at all.

28. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011

Seen a few former English players really rubbing it in

29. Del

Del Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Dec 21, 2016
    Both incidents are different, one was done by an individual out of desperation and the other one was mastermind by a group.

Afridi was being an total idiot and didn't even try to hide it. Pretty sure he didn't even have it in mind before entering the field and it was heat of the moment. Was the skipper and he was solely responsible for his actions by himself, didnt ask Rana (who was the bowler) or anybody to be part of it.

On contrary, the Australians followed a perfect script beforehand and several of the senior members of the squad were in it, so it a well planned incident.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  30. MR__KHAN__JI

MR__KHAN__JI Talented

Sep 5, 2010
    If Warner is the ring leader then it's silly to believe this was the first time tape was used. ..

U seen the tape on Warners hands? He passed on duties to Bancroft cos the SA media highlighted the tape on his own hands. ...

Sent from my SM-N915A using Tapatalk

31. MR__KHAN__JI

MR__KHAN__JI Talented

Sep 5, 2010
    Exactly as I predicted. .. A bit of a whitewash going on here. ..

1) No way just the three knew

2) If Warner was ringleader... no way this was us first time! !!

Classic damage limitation tactics from CA.

They're delaying sanctions for as long as possible to see minimum public will accept as well.

Sent from my SM-N915A using Tapatalk

32. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    'Lehmann is one of the good guys' - Allan Border

With Darren Lehmann likely to speak publicly on Wednesday - for the first time since the ball-tampering scandal broke - former Australia captain Allan Border has thrown his support behind the under-fire coach.

An investigation led by Cricket Australia's head of integrity, Iain Roy, had found that Lehmann had been unaware of plans made on the third day of the Cape Town Test to generate reverse swing by tampering with the ball. CA's chief executive James Sutherland told reporters on Tuesday that only the captain Steven Smith, the vice-captain David Warner and opener Cameron Bancroft, who was eventually caught on camera roughing up the ball with a foreign object, had been involved in the plan and that all of them have been ordered to leave South Africa.

"If [the] integrity officer has been through and interviewed people and he's satisfied that Darren Lehmann didn't know specifically what was going on at the time, I'm very relaxed," Border told Fox Sports. "That's a good news item, isn't it, not the other way.

"We're talking about one of the good guys in Australian cricket," he continued. "He's done a fantastic job with that team and if he wasn't aware of what was going on, there's no problem at all."

However, another former Australia captain, Michael Clarke, felt the "full story" was yet to come out, while England's Michael Vaughan and Kevin Pietersen were not convinced by the CA investigation that cleared Lehmann of wrongdoing.

The truth, The full story, Accountability and Leadership- until the public get this Australian cricket is in deep shit!

— Michael Clarke (@MClarke23) March 27, 2018

Lehmann never knew -

— Kevin Pietersen (@KP24) March 27, 2018

Only 3 people knew ........ #MyArse

— Michael Vaughan (@MichaelVaughan) March 27, 2018

When the incident occurred at Newlands on Saturday, Lehmann was seen with his walkie-talkie seemingly speaking to 12th man Peter Handscomb soon after footage of Bancroft using yellow sticky tape to scuff up the rough side of the ball - the opposite side that a player usually shines - was shown on TV screens around the ground. Handscomb then went on to the field to have a chat with Bancroft, who later shoved the tape down his trousers, prompting scrutiny from match officials. At the post-day press conference, Smith and Bancroft admitted to ball-tampering, leading to sanctions from the ICC and CA, pressure from the Australian government and widespread public outrage.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/22939042/darren-lehmann-one-good-guys-allan-border

33. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Smith, Warner banned for 12 months by Cricket Australia

Steven Smith and David Warner, formerly captain and vice-captain of Australia, have been banned for 12 months by Cricket Australia for their roles in the pre-meditated plan to tamper with the ball on the third day of the Cape Town Test against South Africa. Cameron Bancroft, the player to actually tamper with the ball, has been banned for nine months.

An official announcement of their penalties is expected to be announced soon.

All players will have the right to challenge their verdicts and also the durarion of their penalties via a CA code of behaviour hearing with an independent commissioner, who can also choose whether the hearing is public or private.

Smith is due to depart for Australia today and will speak publicly upon his arrival home in Sydney.

More to follow

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/story/1141869.html?appsrc=cricinfo

34. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Good decision imo... not too harsh but will also hurt them for making a mistake

I think potentially it's the end of their careers

35. ahmedwaqas92

ahmedwaqas92 Youngsta Beauty

Jan 1, 2017
    Does the 12 month Ban mean they'll not be allowed to participate in any cricket relating activity (domestics, BBL) or is this just international matches?

36. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
  37. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
  38. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    They can be back for WC 2019. Very well played CA. lol

39. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    Not going to happen, brown people are too worried about staying in line in spite of the abuse that can come their way. Kohli calling out Smith on the review saga was a welcome change but I believe it was one off.

40. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    A captain leading a premeditated exercise in cheating is a major deal. It is not just one person making a bad decision or getting carried away in the whim of the moment. Looks like they got off pretty easy. CA just wanted to quickly take control of everything and push their more pervasive underlying cultural issues under the rug.