Sandpapergate: Is This The Most Pathetic Attempt At Cheating Of All Time?

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by MR__KHAN__JI, Mar 24, 2018.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. MR__KHAN__JI

MR__KHAN__JI Talented

Sep 5, 2010
    Using tape to pick dust up off the floor to rub against the ball?

This makes Afridi's ball biting seem positively genius...

Can anyone think of any worse attempts at gaining an unfair advantage?

Sent from my SM-N915A using Tapatalk

2. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    It’s up there. Most teams tamper the ball but not using a tape in full view of the public/cameras.

They really thought they’d get away with this is just senseless.

3. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    I thought it was sandpaper?

4. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Looks like they have been at it for a while.

Bancroft sern putting sugar in his pocket during the Ashes.

5. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Ball tampering exists, you can’t eradicate it. You’re either smart enough to get away with it or you don’t have the expertise and you get caught.

6. MR__KHAN__JI

MR__KHAN__JI Talented

Sep 5, 2010
    The biggest fall for the lamest attempt as well. ... just to rub salt into the wounds.

7. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    They have put Starc's swing integrity into doubt also now.

Only Rahat Ali is a genuine swing bowler in this world.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    LOL LOL

9. MR__KHAN__JI

MR__KHAN__JI Talented

Sep 5, 2010
    I thought the tape explanation was a bit odd. ...

Still a pathetic attempt at a cover up until Cricket Australia got involved. ..

10. abc_to_xyz

abc_to_xyz Youngsta Beauty

Nov 20, 2016
    The reaction is over the moon for this one. It was just ball tempering at the end of the day. England used mint to do it in 2005. sandpaper doesnt make it any different.

11. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    I think it was pressure from PM office that forced CA to take such strict action. Otherwise I have not seen a board's chairman flying over to other countries before to deal with such matters himself before involving his subordinates to handle them

12. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    It should read sandpapergate

13. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    A bit over the top I think. Yes its not allowed, its cheating etc. However, look at how many times players do very distasteful acts. How many times do we see bowlers and fielders from all countries appealing for caught behind when its obvious there is day light between bat? how many times do batsmen just stand their ground after knowing they have edged a bowl and been caught. All is a form of cheating the opposition really yet its ok as punishment is not really enforceable.

This saga aside, I don't have too much sympathy for these players. They are literally earning millions a year for playing and should have known better and been careful not to cross the line. The way they reacted to media when it first came out showed they just saw it as a joke. Basically, they were in a very ignorant place. Lets hope this brings them back to earth.

My sympathy is for players from Zimbabwe and Afghanistan who have such limited opportunities to play yet they play the game with pride and for little money.

14. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    You don't get it do you. Holding meetings and planning to ball tamper to win a game and discussing methods, aka premeditating it, is a much bigger deal than it just casually happening here and there.

Batsmen don't plan to edge the ball, hope umpire doesn't notice, and stand their ground. It just happens and in the heat of the moment, a decision is made.

15. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    Heat of the moment? most bowlers know they will appeal for anything and everything. Most batsmen know they will not walk unless dragged out of the pitch. Most fielders know they will claim a catch whenever they touch the ball. Fact is lots of players plan to deceive umpires at the slightest opportunity so yes this to me is considered premeditated.

Look at Waugh in 1985:

Then look at him in 1995 10 years later:

Both times at point. Both times dropped the catch but tried to fool the umpire. All premeditated stuff. Probably practices the "juggling act" after dropping a ball so that when faced with a similar situation in a match he will pull wool over the umpires eyes. Reminds me a little bit about diving in football and how footballers "plan" to dive at every given point.

This heat of the moment crap is total nonsense. Players prepare themselves for these situations in advance so that they are ready to cheat when they can.

16. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    If you can't see the difference between that and actually holding meetings to plan cheating then I can't help you.

17. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    He’s right.

Rahat is a very good bowler, he should be in our test line up along with Wahab and Abbas.

18. abc_to_xyz

abc_to_xyz Youngsta Beauty

Nov 20, 2016
  19. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Videos like this makes one wonder, for how long this had being going on and also put a big question mark on their wins.