Sarfaraz Ahmed's days as Pakistan's test captain over: Reports

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, Jul 29, 2019.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    After seeing Pakistan's World Cup performance, Sarfaraz Ahmed & Co. received massive backlash back home.

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) are expected to make changes to their side after the country's Prime Minister and an ex-captain Imran Khan vowed to fix the issues in Pakistan cricket. Taking a step in the direction, PCB are likely to axe Sarfaraz as the Test captain.

According to a report, the PCB has decided to relieve Sarfaraz of Test captaincy duties and are looking to give a fresh candidate a chance ahead of the Test Championship.

The PCB will discuss the matter on August 2nd in a meeting after Pakistan - who are currently looking to rebuild their Test side - are keen on handing over the reins to a new captain.

Being a skipper, Sarfaraz managed just four wins in 13 games in Test matches. After returning from England, when asked about his future as the captain of Pakistan, the 32-yeard-old said, “It’s not that I’m saying I refuse to resign. All I’m saying is the decision rests with the PCB, the same way as the decision to appoint me captain was taken by them. I’m sure they’ll take the decision that’s best for Pakistan”.

According to the report, PCB are considering Shan Masood as the next skipper.

Masood has played only 15 Tests and has notched up 793 runs at an average of 26.43 which includes a century and five fifties. The 29-year-old has also scalped two wickets in the longer format of the game.

Pakistan's success in Tests under Sarfaraz has not been so great and the team's last Test series win came against Australia in a one-off Test in the UAE. After the win, Pakistan lost two back-to-back Test series against New Zealand (2-1) and South Africa (3-0).

https://www.dnaindia.com/cricket/re...-pakistan-s-test-captain-over-reports-2776877

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
  2. cricfreak

cricfreak Emerging Player

Jul 6, 2010
    Why can't he man up and resign as captain? And leave his selection as a keeper batsman on selectors.

3. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    Classical Pakistani mindset, what else?
    Lack of such financial income and opportunities coupled by the need of a donkey to carry the weight of your ego.

4. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I like Shan, however,

A) What experience he has on his resume as captain?
    B) What are his accomplishments as cricketer (apart from playing some useful innings in SA)?
    C) PCB is considering him as a candidate based on what?

5. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Talented

Apr 16, 2010
    Asad Shafiq.
    Captain in all formats till the next ODI WC.

6. BuccalSingh

BuccalSingh Youngsta Beauty

Mar 21, 2016
    Shan has performed only in SA so far.What if he is made captain and he flops badly as an opener?

7. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    It’s based on a dated self-hating, chamchafied, colonial slavery philosophy that you need someone who can speak English.