Sarfraz is not a No. 5 batsman in odis and Asif Ali should be nowhere near this team at present

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Shahzad.Firdous, Sep 19, 2018.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Title says it all! This is not the way to bat at No. 5 Sarfraz~ He always looks in so much hurry! He just needs to take his time at the crease! If you have to play this way, you should not be batting in top 5, stick to your number 6. Even, Shadab is better than Sarfraz right now!
    And Asif Ali you ran out Shoaib Malik who was our only hope for even a 250 total!
    Major culprit is Sarfraz cus he has played so much cricket and is the captain! He walks in at 84 for 3 after a partnership between Babar and Malik and what he does! Goes for a big shot against the part timer! Here you need a partnership another 100 partnership~

@mohsin88ali @SwingNSeam

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  2. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Harris Sohail should be batting at 4, Malik 5, Sarfraz 6 in the next game!

3. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    Some valid points you got there, and i concur but with some adjustment.
    Sarfaraz should bat either at 8 or come in when 5 or so overs remain, so he can "tonk" or "try to tonk" from the get go.

At least until he gets his form back.

Sent from knowhere

4. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    I meant stick to his number 6!

5. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    Is time running out for sarfraz?

6. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    Problem is that I think him and his captaincy is the glue that keeps this team performing. Idk if you can get rid of him...

7. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
    Based on what? What's another captaincy change going to do?

He averages around 50 at the number 5 spot.

Just had an off day

8. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    We cant change captain with World Cup just round the corner but we can insert Harris Sohail into that middle order and have Sarfraz batting at 6 if Sarfraz keeps playing in this irresponsible manner at that middle order position! He always seems to be in a hurry, thats the main problem! He needs to adapt himself according to the situation of the game and apply his mind to the situation! This is not the way to bat in the middle order!! He is not batting in lower order that he is going for some quick runs! There were some 27 overs to go when he played that shot!!

9. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
    It's not the end of the world, but I agree with you that he needs to play according to the situation.

He is useless at number 6, he needs to bat in top 5.

Drop Imam and have Babar open with Haris at 3.

10. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    If he bats in this manner, he cant bat in top 5, I am sorry!

11. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
    It's okay, but he'll still bat in top 5 whether you like it or not.

12. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Needs to start batting with responsibility. Shouldn’t take it as a free license to slog just because he’s captain.

13. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Sarfaraz should bat in top 4.

His performances are going down by the day in his captaincy but we can't afford to change Captain now so close to WC.

Asif Ali is not a batsman at all. We are wasting a spot on him.

14. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Asif Ali has had one failure. If he's been given a chance, give him a proper run

15. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    He had an off 2 years...

16. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
    Proof?

17. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    Well its a gut feeling more than anything. Ill have a look at stats when im on PC instead of the laptop.

18. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    Pakistan really need a batting AR thats the only way to accomodate a player like Asif especially when your keeper has forgot how to bat.

Have we get any Hafeez type players in domestic?

1. Fakhar
    2. Haris ( must bowl a few) or a hafeez type player.
    3. Babar
    4. Malik ( can sometimes bowl).
    5. Batting A/R ( need at least 6 overs)
    6. Asif
    7.Shadab/Fahim
    8. Sarfraz
    9. Shadab/Fahim
    10. Amir
    11. Hassan

Im trying to plug a lot of gaps with bit and pieces type players here.

19. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Talat Hussain or Amir Yamin are batting AR.

20. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Deffo for the last year or so - he’s runs output has been very mediocre.

If he wasn’t the captain, his place would be under serious threat.

21. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    There is not denying that Pakistan’s middle order is fragile, however, this same middle order performs if top 3/4 fires. This is how we won some recent games, and among top order, contribution of Fakhar and Babar is vital. The longer these two play the better innings momentum become and better total we achieve. Everyone is focusing too much on the middle order without realizing the fact that top order didn’t perform well.

Malik and Babar recovered from the early damage and Sarfraz should’ve played with more responsibility, but it didn’t happen and he end up playing a very casual and ordinary shot to gift his wicket at such a crucial stage. I wonder what the hell he was thinking? Didn’t he know the game situation? Its unbelieve how dumb our player play at times when team needs them badly.

I am all in to replace Asif with Hackfeez, but even if latter would be playing instead of former, then still he wouldn’t have done any better – we have seen it over and over again for years. Asif is not kind of player who will bail his team out, do the recovery and then play his game. His role is bat in late 30 overs, settle his eye by 41/42 over and start hitting big. Yes, today’s game demand was utterly different and he couldn’t cope up with the situation, but who else was able to do so?

Last but not the least, I am really not certain how Imam is an upgrade on Azhar? Neither former bring stability at top order nor he’s an aggressive player who charge on opposition, so what’s the rationale behind his selection? Atleast Azhar would’ve kept his wicket and give strike back to none striker.

22. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    We should drop Imam (seriously) and bring in Shan Masood for the next match (seriously). Imam may have a bright future but he has so far just bashed minnows at a low SR.

23. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Imam is a SHODA,

I just hope I don’t watch him, my whole life will be ruined, I hate him, I hate him, aaa argh I hate him.

I tried my best not swear, I love Azhar, Azhar please come back, sorry, you can play as slow as you want, I can’t watch him.

Come on Bhuvi, Bumrah please end his career, I’ve never supported Indian bowlers but today I ask of you one favour.

Atleast Shan Looks better and isn’t a Shoda.

He’s a liar, He goes he’s lost lots of weight but he’s still fat.

24. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    Haris in for Imam is a much better option I think

25. KingOfDoosra

Jun 8, 2012
    I'm not a fan of Asif Ali but I don't like dropping anybody after just 1 game. He should get the matches against Afghanistan and Bangladesh at least.

26. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    Better option but he's been sent there to play as a middle order batsman. Our think tank are not going to be innovative and ask him to open the innings. Well, don't think he'd himself prefer to open anyway. Shan is a like-for-like replacement for Imam.

27. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    It is this "hurry" that has me worried.
    That is why i suggested him dropping down to 7 or 8.

Sent from knowhere

28. KingOfDoosra

Jun 8, 2012
    The thing with Haris is that we will have an additional spin option as well, which we at the moment are lacking. Shan's medium pace isn't going to benefit Pakistan at all.

29. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    I wont drop Imam based on one match cus he has scored like 4 centuries in 9 odis so far! But, if he does not score in the next game against india on sunday, then he will face an axe too!!

30. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
    I am inclined to agree with you now.

I think the champs trophy victory went to their heads.

31. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
    Asif is not suited to the Pak ODI team unless he learns to bowl.

Our batting is already weak and we can't be playing a poormans Afridi at 6.

Hafeez is an underrated batsman.

32. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    The thing is, we have enough accumulator in top 5, who can (and should) play 40 overs.

After 40 overs, you need to aim for 100 in last 10, which is norm these days.

You tell me who can push score to 100 in last 10 overs? Hafeez ? I dont think so.

Asif possess some good hitting abilities, and he suits better for this role.

I dont expect him to come in 30 over and rebuild the innings - he is not that type of player.

So you need to make a call, what do you want? A player who will repair the damage but ditch you in 40 overs or a guy who can come around 40th over, play 14/18 balls and start hitting boundaries?

33. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    Me? The later.
    Our team is already one/half dimensional as it is. Why do people try to stack it with even more players of such "abilities"?

Sent from knowhere

34. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
    I agree we have one too many accumulators but Asif Ali at 6 isn't the solution.

Only way Asif Ali fits into the side is if he starts to bowl and takes an all rounders slot, which would balance out the side more. Right now we have a glorified six hitter taking the spot of a proper batsman.

Hafeez's hitting is highly underrated.

I haven't seen any Pakistani batsman smash Trent Boult the way Hafeez did earlier this year.

He played probably the best innings of his life in the final versus India and helped us to 338. We probably would have gotten more if it wasn't for Imad.

35. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016

A) With Shadab and Faheem, along with 3 pacers I dont see any need for 6 bowler. Still if you need one, then Malik can role his arms.

B) Yes, no question about his final innings to push total to 338, but sample size is too small. I only saw him playing at no.6 ONCE in my lifetime. Also, he was pushed to play at no.6, and there were many reports that he wasnt happy and willing to play at no.6. Will be accept that role going forward? I am not sure, but he can then I will keep both, Asif and him, and whoever doesnt perform, will have to warm the bench.

Their batting and that push in last 10 over is more needed that their bowling.

36. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    One day team should be:

1. Azhar / Imam
    2. Fakhar / Sharjeel
    3. Babar Azam
    4. Hafeez
    5. Shoaib Malik
    6. Sarfraz
    7. Shadab
    8. Fahim
    9. Amir / Junaid
    10. Hassan
    11. Shaheen

37. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Difference between smashing Boult, Starc etc and a random geezer named Ngarava is a lot.

38. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    You always need a 6th bowler in odis cus one of your main bowler gets hit for runs, then you have nowhere to go! Pakistan's strength has always been bowling but when Waqar Younus came in he started playing one less bowler which led to Pakistan's downfall in odi cricket! Arthur also did the same for a while but in my opinion, we need 6 bowlers atleast, 6th bowler being Hafeez and 7th bowler being Malik. This is when you dominate world of cricket when you have proper bowling. We must always go with 4 pacers, Shadab and Hafeez and Malik unless its a rank turner!!

39. mohsin88ali

mohsin88ali Talented

Nov 8, 2017
    Agreed 100%.

Unless off course, if your five bowlers are Imran, Wasim, Waqar, Qadir and Tauseef.

Sent from knowhere

40. Shahzad.Firdous

May 29, 2010
    Fahim Ashraf can do what Asif Ali is doing in odis and he can bowl good 8 overs too!!