Shahid Afridi born in 1975 (reveals his real age in autobiography) - More quotes are added (upd -15)

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Del, May 2, 2019.

1. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Afridi’s ‘Game Changer’ opens up controversies

Newly launched biography ‘Game Changer’, based on Pakistan’s former flamboyant all-rounder Shahid Afridi’ cricketing career and personal life, has opened up so many controversies.

Pakistan’s former finest all-rounder has revealed so many things in his biography written by renowned journalist and his close friend Wajahat Khan.

Afridi stated that former Test cricketer and coach Javed Miandad didn’t like him and tried to finish his career.

The 39-years-old former cricketer recalled the 1999 tour to India where Javed Miandad coached the national side. He said that Miandad tried a lot to kick him out of the team and also didn’t allow him to take part in the team’s net session prior to the first Test against India.

Moreover, the then coach Miandad asked Afridi to say good about him in a post-match ceremony after scoring 144 runs on his Test debut at Chennai against the hosts in the firt Test.

“You have to thank me in the presentation and in the interview as well. Tell them how I helped you grow,” Afridi quoted Miandad in his book.

Afridi further revealed that the legendary batsman Miandad didn’t like his batting style and often forced him to change it.

On the other hand, Afridi called former Test cricketer Waqar Younis a ‘Terrible captain’ and said that in 2003 World Cup Pakistan lacked strong leadership.

“Politics in the dressing room led the national team down. Waqar was made the captain in World Cup 2003 but the senior players wanted Wasim Akram to lead the side. In result, Waqar failed to lead the side strongly and we gave up easily so many times in the mega event,” the book reads.

It is pertinent to mention here that Afridi is well-known among cricket fraternity due to his exceptional talent on the field. One of the heartthrobs of Pakistan’s cricket, Afridi has started teh second inning of his life through a welfare foundation ‘Shahid Afridi Foundation’ with an aim to promote social causes including health, education in Pakistan.

https://arysports.tv/afridis-game-changer-opens-up-controversies/

Shahid Afridi shares thoughts on Imran Khan’s leadership in autobiography

Commenting on World Cup winning captain-turned-prime minister Imran Khan, Afridi heaped praise on his ideas for ‘Naya Pakistan’ and his efforts for peace with India.

“From his peace overtures (I quote his first speech, about Pakistan taking two steps towards peace if the Indians take one step - an approach I personally believe in too) to opening the Kartarpur corridor and releasing the Indian Air Force pilot shot down by the Pakistanis in February 2019 - peaceful relations with India are essential. Both countries, even the subcontinental region, will flourish,” the all-rounder writes in his book.

Afridi believes Imran Khan must do more for resolution of the Kashmir dispute.

“However, Imran Khan must do more about Kashmir. We have to resolve that issue. We have to save the Kashmiri people, and we must involve them in the peace process. Nobody in the Indian subcontinent has suffered or struggled more than Kashmiris,” he says.

“So much resources go into guarding this territory. So much goes into policing the Line of Control. So many mouths can get fed, so many minds can be nourished, if India and Pakistan resolve the Kashmir issue through a Kashmiri-owned, Kashmiri-led peace process.”

Afridi further writes that he believes Imran Khan is “relatively more flexible than Modi ji” and that “he has already proven this”.

“Imran Khan is now the elected prime minister of Pakistan. We have to give him the respect that a prime minister deserves. We have to make things work. As for his vision, I don’t have any doubts about Imran’s integrity or the goals he has set to achieve - a vision that he calls ‘Naya Pakistan’, the new Pakistan. The real question which bothers me, though, is his team selection,” he says.

“We all know that he [Imran Khan] didn’t personally like a lot of players who played under him. We all know he had an abrasive, confrontational, take-no-prisoners style of leadership. But he never got personal… By the way, they say that Khan, now prime minister of Pakistan, runs his cabinet the same way.”

‘Mediocre captain, terrible coach’
    Shahid Afridi has shared he and former captain Waqar Younis “had a history”.

“Unfortunately, he hadn’t let go of the past,” he writes about the former pacer. “Waqar and I had a history, dating all the way back to his tiff with Wasim over the captaincy crown. He was a mediocre captain but a terrible coach, always micromanaging and getting in the way, trying to tell the captain – me – what to do… It was a natural clash and it was bound to happen.”

The all-rounder has also shed light on his tussle with former batsman Javed Miandad.

“The tussle had started even before the series kicked off. Miandad had developed a strong opinion against me… in fact, the day before I went to bat, Miandad didn’t even give me any net practice. So I had to practice on a stringed ball, alone, away from my teammates. That was the cloud of angst and embarrassment under which I was playing my first Test against Pakistan’s greatest rival.”

The real age
    Afridi has also divulged details about his “real” age, which has long caused much amusement among his fan base.

“I was just nineteen, and not sixteen like they claim. I was born in 1975. So yes, the authorities stated my age incorrectly,” the ever-green cricketer writes.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  2. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    It shouldn't amaze anybody at all, because many already knew it.

That said, two things,

A) Why its so common in our cricketers to lie about their actual age.
    B) Why he doesnt look like 43/44, whats the secret?

3. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Some very strong words he used for Vicky, which again, shouldnt surprise many if you have been following Pakistan team.

4. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    This was always common knowledge, the fact he was a few years older in reality.

Incredibly fitness for a 44 year old. Still picks up wickets at this age and no mug with the bat. Looks terrific for 44 also. One of a kind.

5. Patriot

Patriot Boom Boom

Oct 8, 2014
    pretty dumb tbh, Waqar lead the team to undefeated year in 2002, he had earned to lead the side in WC

6. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Lala is just one of them players, even if he makes one fifty in 100 innings you will remember it, he’s not ordinary player although he hasn’t done right with what he has said about Javed and Waqar.

7. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    Not really a fan of biographies.

What is the actual point of all this ? Especially where you badmouth your colleagues ? What will he achieve from this other than losing respect.

Even if you know someone's negative points, especially your colleague of decades, you keep it with yourself rather than creating a tamasha in media.

Childish.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

8. Shahzad.Firdous

Shahzad.Firdous Cornered Tiger

May 29, 2010
    Agree with Afridi! Waqar was a poor captain poor coach and Javed was a hole!! Afridi is one of the greatest entertainers to have played cricket!! Waqar Younus ne jitne World Cup harwaye utne kisi ne nahi harwaye as a player as a coach as a captain!! Chalo harwa diye koi baat nahi jeete hue harwa diye! You can win a World Cup without Waqar but not Wasim Akram!! Waqar is born 10 times in a century but Wasim only once!!

9. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    He said he was 19 when he made his debut in 96.. but born in 75 ?

How is this possible to be born in 75 and 19 in 96. Bizarre.

10. pat

pat Youngsta Beauty

Nov 25, 2018
    If he was born in 1975 and made his debut in 1996, how does that make him 19 years old at the time of debut?

Problem with basic math or non-functioning brain?

either one would explain so much .

11. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    He didnt write it himself. It was wajahat who wrote it for him @pat

Either way it doesnt make sense

12. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    petty sensationalism to sell books and brown nosing the Indians to get future employment. so predictable. yawn.

13. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    I think Afridi has personal issues with Waqar and thats why he has used some profound words for him. Wouldn't be surprised if Vicky hits back in few days.

He can disagreeing with Waqar on various matters but still can chose wise/better words. I guess most of Pakistani players not good at all when putting words together.

14. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    I read somewhere that he was also playing under 19 at the time which may be why he said 19 but the 1975 date would make his age beyond that.

On a side note, Waqar had major issues with many players as a coach and made them miserable so its natural that he would get called out for it.

15. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    More quotes are added from various sources:

On Javed Miandad:

Afridi called Miandad a legend but a ‘small man’, and that he hated his batting style. After scoring a test century in India, he was asked to praise Miandad at the presentation ceremony, Afridi claims.

He wasn’t allowed to practice with the team ahead of the match in Chennai as Miandad wanted to field Asif Mujtaba.

On Shoaib Malik & Waqar Younis:

Boom Boom also termed Shoaib Malik unfit for captaincy. The then coach, Waqar Younis lobbied against him to make Malik the captain, says Game Changer.

Regarding the 2003 World Cup campaign, Afridi said that Waqar Younis was a terrible captain and that he was responsible for the nightmarish campaign as he couldn’t hold the team together. At that time, most of the team players wanted Wasim Akram to be the captain and there was too much politics involved.

Chairman of the PCB, Lt Gen. Tauqir Zia, sided with Waqar and made him the captain, however, the team didn’t perform well despite being a good side on paper.

On Aamer Sohail:
    Talking about Aamer Sohail, who was the captain when Afridi made his debut, he said something shocking on the field in his first innings when he scored a few boundaries early in the innings.

I know you’ve fixed this match with Wasim Akram. I know what you’re up to, Afridi.

After the match, Aamer talked to him again, saying:

Stay on my side. Join me. I will connect you with the right people. I can help you run Pakistan cricket.

On Spot-fixing saga:
    Coming to the spot-fixing scandal in 2010, Afridi revealed that he already knew that it was going to happen. Despite informing the Manager Yawar Saeed, no action was taken. Team management was either non-serious or worried and this prompted him to give up the captaincy. Salman Butt was appointed in his place.

https://propakistani.pk/2019/05/02/game-changer-5-shocking-revelations-in-shahid-afridis-biography/

On Javed Miandad:
    Miandad had developed a strong opinion against me… in fact, the day before I went to bat, Miandad didn’t even give me any net practice. So I had to practice on a stringed ball, alone, away from my teammates. That was the cloud of angst and embarrassment.

On the other hand, Javed Miandad has rejected the claims of Shahid Afridi. “Shahid Afridi has written what he wanted to write,” said Miandad.

In his autobiography, Afridi revealed that he was not 16 when he played his first one-day match. He was 19-year-old then.

On Shoaib Malik:
    Afridi also criticised Shoaib Malik in his book. Shoaib Malik was unfit to be made skipper when he was 25 since he didn’t listen to good advice.

https://abbtakk.tv/en/game-changer-afridi-criticises-mindad-waqar-younis-in-his-autobiography/

Taking a dig at Shoaib Malik, he said that he was unfit for captaincy but still he was made the skipper. He said that Shoaib Malik used to take advice from the wrong people.

Afridi went on to say that decision to make Salman Butt as vice captain was also wrong.

He also said that Waqar Younis and Wasim Akram have always had a controversial relation.

Afridi further revealed that he was already aware of the spot fixing scandal. He said that Mazhar Majeed had given his phone to a shop for repairing and the shopkeeper turned out to be his friend of friend.

The shop keeper had shown the messages of Mazhar Majeed for Pakistani cricketers.

He said that he showed the proof to the team management but they did not take any action, adding that he also shared the messages with Waqar Younis.

The management was either afraid or it cared about the country’s image. Yawar Saeed expressed his helplessness over the messages and did not even ask me for their copy, he wrote in his book.

He said that Abdul Razzak had also expressed his doubts over Salman Butt, Mohammad Amir and Mohammad Asif.

https://www.urdupoint.com/en/sports/dont-go-for-media-hype-over-game-change-611437.html

16. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    He is making more and more enemies for money it seems.

17. pat

pat Youngsta Beauty

Nov 25, 2018
    Pretty f'n stupid if he thinks he can talk his way into a job in India.

Hasn't he been gaslighting India at every opportunity till now?

18. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    I dont think afridi needs money. Its all for headlines and fame.

Im a big afridi fan but this is so so poor. How can you bash your legends, your colleague, your co workers with whom you worked for decades like this ? What will he achieve from this ? Nothing

I dont know how anyone can really defend this immature behaviour. Im extremely disappointed.

19. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    Yes he has probably underestimated how the Indians are famed for being significantly more petty than him. Probably their small hearts. Not that denial isn’t part of the national psyche it seems after the camps they hit/didn’t hit in their botched military party political broadcast. It’s also well known how fond they are of money, so who knows if that will supersede their pettiness alongside denial?

Perhaps it’s not for employment in India, but it’s to build some political currency for his next career move into politics.

20. pat

pat Youngsta Beauty

Nov 25, 2018
    Yup it all about India and Indians and afridi and his biography. LMAO. Burn must be intense in that big heart. Loving it. May it burn forever.

21. pat

pat Youngsta Beauty

Nov 25, 2018
    This aptly describes the situation.

[​IMG]

22. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    The midget calling Miandad a small man.

23. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    our 90's team was extremely divided.

24. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    So as a protest you should change you avatar now :D...

To be honest, as I said before, he is not good when putting words together. He usually doesn't talk sense whenever speaks (still acts like impulsive teenager), but this is different level.

As for fame, I am not certain what type of fame he needs (he's well known already), however, via this book he's making negative headlines for sure.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  25. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

ShokoTolo_LoloMoto Youngsta Beauty

Apr 16, 2010
    Good Job Afridi.

Expose these a-holes so the future kids know that playing politics in the team would not be swept under the carpet.

26. godzilla

godzilla Talented

May 12, 2016
    Sounds like the burn is more intense in another heart.

27. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    In all honesty Afridi showed no class when he was playing cricket so it's no surprise that he is showing none after retiring.

An autobiography gives the writer time to reflect and ponder over some regrets they might have had. It offers the readers some lessons as you watch someone's life ups and downs.

I doubt Afridi will reflect much on his own controversies and bad points. Instead he will dish the dirt on others.

It will be incredibly poor if major controversies in his own life like the girls( some say prostitutes) in the hotel room, ball biting and pitch tampering aren't really reflected on.

28. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Yaar this avatar is sincr psl2 days and i dont remember when i logged in from.laptop last time to change dp or signature.

Im still his fan but some of his antics are i defensible.

29. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Means he was 21 when he made debut for Pakistan. He and Younis Khan are of the same age.

Should not have targeted his teammates for the sake of masala. People would have bought his book even without these antics. Wajahat S Khan is also someone who thinks very highly of himself. Should have taken help from some other good writer.

30. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
  31. Mohammed Bilal

Mohammed Bilal Tracer Bullet

Jul 17, 2017
    Shouldn't he have gone to ICC? He Let it pass and gave the captaincy to the main suspect, atleast he could have gone to that Majeed guy and told him to off but no.

32. ShokoTolo_LoloMoto

Apr 16, 2010
    wow ! lol

Cannot believe how much more dumb of a post one can write?

You are still going after him when he CLEARLY did more than what his job was?

The ball was in the court of team management.

They are the ones who are 100% responsible for letting this happen.

A SLIGHTEST OF HINT would’ve been more than enough for Yawar Sa’eed and Waqar Younis to jump on it and get to the bottom of it.
    This was part of their job and their duties for which they get paid with very high salaries.

And yes, he DID speak to Majeed and ask him to stay away from the team, if that helps taking your head out of Afridi’s ass?

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  33. pat

pat Youngsta Beauty

Nov 25, 2018
    Agree, not sure he had enough to go to ICC. Pak management's attitude seems unbelievable, assuming Afridi's words are credible.

34. ElRaja

ElRaja Talented

Jan 12, 2013
    have read like half of this book

from a purely literary point of view, its a fairly boring read. the prose is somewhere between candid and formal, but in a kind of no mans land. sounds more like an off the cuff interview rather than someone who has put much thought into getting information across.

from a integrity point of view, its okay. i mean its his side of the story so i fairly expected a lot what was said. anyone who watched cricket in that era knew about the factionalism, and i don't really doubt his accounts, given the insecurity of certain seniors, etc, was obvious.

from a content point of view, it seems fairly scatty, no single incidence is gone into any real detail about. its a collection of surface levels accounts of goings ons, maybe its indicative of afridi, who never dwelled on much. any actual game account was invariably left down to how many runs he scored or wickets he took.

finally you could make a drinking game of this book, take a shot every time dude mentions being a pathan. like every other page... if not every page. i actually liked him as a player, and like a few thought test cricket was his real calling, but writing is clearly not and i dont think wajahat is a good choice as a ghost writer.

so far id give the book a 4/10, not sure if ill finish it.

• Useful / Interesting Useful / Interesting x 1
    • List
  35. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne Smooth Operator

May 22, 2012
    I know a lot of people who have met Shahid on a professional level and I also know somebody who has spent a lot of time with him too as a friend.

All of them have told me the same thing about him. Afridi doesn't lie, He's an extremely honest and truthful person and although he knows there's a lot of wrong within Pakistan, He genuinely has so much love for his country and yes with that love came some silly decisions he made which is only natural as he is a human being but he never wants to see anybody speaking ill of the country.