Shahid Afridi responsible for one-run defeat against South Africa, says Aamir Sohail

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by ALbIe, Oct 31, 2013.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. ALbIe

ALbIe Smooth Operator

Nov 3, 2010
    Aamir Sohail has lambasted senior all-rounder Shahid Afridi for being responsible for Pakistan's stunning one-run defeat to South Africa in the first one-day international in Dubai.

Clearly upset with the shock defeat on Wednesday and the batting collapse, Sohail blamed Afridi for the defeat.

"Afridi could have won the game for Pakistan because when he came into bat, the match was as good as won," he said.

"When he was at the crease, Pakistan needed just ten runs from nearly six overs and I just don't see the logic behind his decision to play the shot he played at that time," he added.

Afridi holed out to deep mid-wicket while trying to hoist leg spinner, Imran Tahir for a big six with Pakistan closing in on victory.

"All our batsmen played irresponsibly but Afridi disappointed because he has played so much international cricket that he should know what to do in such situation. Afridi should have realised what his responsibility was."

Former fast bowler Sarfraz Nawaz also held Afridi, a veteran of 363 ODIs, responsible for Pakistan's defeat, adding that he needed to be 'rested' now.

"It seems that only Misbah-ul-Haq is in form and the rest of the batsmen are there for nothing," he said.

Pakistan will play their next ODI against South Africa on November 1.

Former Test player and coach, Mohsin Khan advised the players to get over the shock defeat and try to win the series.

"It was plain irresponsible batting and it appeared as if there was no one in the dressing room advising and cautioning the incoming batsmen what to do," he said.

Mohsin said Pakistan was still a stronger side in the one-day format than South Africa and could win the series if the players showed more mental strength and played the remaining four matches with a killer instinct.

2. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    Afridi's dismissal was stupid but tbh none of Jamshed, Akmal, Amin did anything of note either, and only Akmal has really, really justified his spot from the young batsmen (though funnily enough he still cops a lot of blame). Neither did Sohail Tanveer or Wahab Riaz who are both said to be able to hold a bat, because they're certainly not in the top 5 fast bowlers in Pakistan never mind the top 3

As important as the dismissal ended up in the final analysis and as silly as it was in the match situation, Afridi still comes out better from this game than do Jamshed, Hafeez, Amin, Akmal, and Riaz

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 10
    • List
  3. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    He has played 350 games. 350!

It was a zero pressure situation but he gave into his ego again and went for the big one. He is mainly responsible.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
    • List
  4. Juggs

Juggs Youngsta Beauty

Oct 31, 2013
    Typical hyperbole from ex-cricketers.. Pakistan lost their last 6 wickets for 17 runs and they are out with their knives only for Afridi.

• List
  5. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    Even out of those 17, afridi made 9 :shrug

• List
  6. ALbIe

ALbIe Smooth Operator

Nov 3, 2010
    Afridi talked about getting 100 against SA and he can't even get 10!

• List
  7. Mars

Mars Talented

Apr 23, 2012
    I won't support Afridi but as a matter of fact, I would atleast expect my tailenders to get 10 runs. Tanveer and Riaz are at more fault than anybody else as they threw away their wickets without scoring.
    Afridi on the other hand scored a few runs. However, despite all of this Afridi should be held responsible for the defeat considering he is the most experienced player of the side. If this would have been Misbah, people would have called for his heads too.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 3
    • List
  8. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Tracer Bullet

Jun 18, 2012
    Zyada mat uchlo, abhi 4 matches baaki hain.

If Afridi hasn't done anything worth making my new avatar from, I'll join you on the 'exterminate Afridi' crusade.

However, if Afridi does perform and get that 100, and Wahab performs under par, you have to join me on the 'get rid of Wahab' crusade.

Willing to take that risk on your favourite player, ALbIe ? :p

• List
  9. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012

THIS.

People are always ready to bash him, but when its a case of their favourites whoever it is, some people try to make up excuses.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 4
    • List
  10. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    No, not THIS. Hardly anyone has denied the fact that it was an irresponsible shot by Afridi, no matter how much they support Afridi - the fact that others are also there to make runs is what makes us angry. Surely Amin can do better than what he did. Sohail Tanvir calls himself an all-rounder what did he do? Wahab Riaz averages over 12. He couldn't even make a run?

• List
  11. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012

1. Read the part I bolded when I quoted the post.
    2. Read my post.
    3. Enjoy

12. KingOfDoosra

Jun 8, 2012
    I was referring to exactly that.

13. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    The shot was on, he cant get rid of him temptation, this is his natural game etc.

The others didnt do anything. Brainless(A certain poster will be happy to see this.) shots were played, but then again, when you need 9 runs then please, why can you not get rid of that temptation, why can you not play the shots along the ground, please why can you not do that? Its not like Afridi have not done that before.

You expect more of a man with 350+ matches than others with even less than half of it together. Thats the difference.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 4
    • List
  14. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012

Misinterperted earlier.

15. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
  16. SwingNSeam

SwingNSeam Boom Boom

Sep 12, 2010
    No doubt he should be blamed, but this doesnt mean we let the other "batsmen" off the hook this easily.

• List
  17. Victorious Pakistan

Victorious Pakistan Smooth Operator

Feb 29, 2012
    Had Afridi hit that for 6, half the posters here and around the world would have been sharing "Boom Boom" posters and pictures.
    He didn't and got out, and it was a poor shot.

All the batsmen should be ashamed of themselves not just for not being able to chase that total from the position they were in, but for being consistently a rubbish batting unit for some time now.

Always relying on Misbah to come good and Umar Akmal to hit a few down the back-end of the innings, rubbish, absolutely rubbish. I feel sorry for the kids and fans who turn up to watch those type of garbage performances.

• List
  18. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Afridi has most of his career only flattered to decieve. The harsh truth.

19. ALbIe

ALbIe Smooth Operator

Nov 3, 2010
    Deal! Afridi ain't good enough for a century!

20. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Tracer Bullet

Jun 18, 2012
    Since Afridi does come low down the order, a century is indeed unlikely, but let's see who comes up with more match-winning performances in this series.

21. Pakfast

Pakfast Talented

May 8, 2013
    Misbah, hafeez and afridi are in the team due to their "experience". Now which one showed their experience and won us the match? None. They all should share the blame. Why do we select these players based on their experience when it never comes through when needed?

22. zkhan427

zkhan427 Smooth Operator

Oct 2, 2012
    350 games and we still expect something different? Yes it was a stupid shot and he should take some blame, but this should not have gone down to afridi with such a low target. Our batting as a whole failed.

23. ALbIe

ALbIe Smooth Operator

Nov 3, 2010
    If a guy does not learn, teachers get rid of that poor student but Pakistan still keep selecting Afridi!

24. zkhan427

zkhan427 Smooth Operator

Oct 2, 2012
    He will play how he plays, and when it comes off he has a huge impact on that game. He got us 3 wickets at a good economy rate yesterday. I really don't want to see hafeez and wahab bowling 10 overs each to be honest.

I'm not a huge fan of Afridi's and he played a ridiculous shot at a bad time. With that being said you can't say he did nothing for us that game and you can't say all other players did their part except afridi.

25. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    8 runs to win with over 40 balls to go, Afridi only had one thing on his mind and that was to finish it off the way he knows best. Smash it in to the crowd and have a early bath. He got the 2nd bit alright. Blaming Him alone for the loss is wrong though, yes the shot was irresponsible but nearly 400 games in his career why should we expect anything different? If he had pulled it off then we wouldn't be sat here discussing it now. It was a collective effort from top to bottom (barring a few). How we lost from that position is still beyond me.

• List
  26. Sher4

Sher4 Youngsta Beauty

Oct 31, 2013
    Aamir Sohail is easily the best cricketing mind in Pakistan, always speaks sense.

• List
  27. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
    There is a lot wrong with your thinking. Of course we expect something different...otherwise what is the point in all these matches and experience?

28. zkhan427

zkhan427 Smooth Operator

Oct 2, 2012
    I'm not sure, but I don't expect it from him. My point was that he should take partial blame but not complete blame because it was a pathetic performance from top to bottom. If he was going to change, it would have happened by now.

29. baqir

baqir Cornered Tiger

Sep 17, 2012
    I disagree with Amir, because Afridi was chosen as a bowler not a batsmen if he was a allrounder he would be coming up the order not down. So you just cant blame Afridi he took 3 wickets for us. Blame Jamshed who got out on duck.

30. ALbIe

ALbIe Smooth Operator

Nov 3, 2010
    I am interested to listen to your views!You seem a sensible poster!

• List
  31. baqir

baqir Cornered Tiger

Sep 17, 2012
    Afridi hater found!

32. Garam

Garam Youngsta Beauty

Oct 30, 2013

Hafeez, Amin and Akmal should also be blamed.

Atleast Afridi got 3 wickets, what did these four do?

33. baqir

baqir Cornered Tiger

Sep 17, 2012
    No, I will not blame these three because they went in to double digits - also Umar Akmal had wicket-keeping duties.

34. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
    The whole team is to blame. No one played a responsible innings and they all lost as a team. Not a single batsman deserves his place in the team based on this performance

35. KingOfDoosra

Jun 8, 2012
    Ahmed Shehzad?

36. baqir

baqir Cornered Tiger

Sep 17, 2012
    Misbah? He shouldn't be blamed.

37. Garam

Garam Youngsta Beauty

Oct 30, 2013

Is this the standard that we have set for our batsmen nowadays? Going into double digits?

38. baqir

baqir Cornered Tiger

Sep 17, 2012
    At least they went in to double digits unlike others. Pakistan players can't even score past 9 runs now a days at average.

39. Garam

Garam Youngsta Beauty

Oct 30, 2013

The only other batsman who didnt go into double digits was Jamshed. I dont think you can blame one batsman when the whole batting lineup cant score 180 together.

Double digits is not an accomplishment. Nowadays tailenders are expected to contribute with 10 runs.

If we are suggesting that our batsmen need to get to double figures to escape criticism then God help us.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 5
    • List
  40. baqir

baqir Cornered Tiger

Sep 17, 2012
    I agree.

• List