"Sharjeel & Khalid have confessed to their actions and are now asking for forgiveness": Sethi

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Ahson8, Feb 14, 2017.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Ahson8

Ahson8 Sultan of Swing

Jun 9, 2012
    Najam Sethi talks to Shahzeb Khanzada about the PSL fixing saga and the final in Lahore

• We are collaborating with ICC and making our proceedings based on that.
    • During the 2010 fixing saga, people in Pakistan blamed the PCB for not acting efficiently and said that the matter wouldn't have been as bad had action been taken at the right time, now people are complaining that we have taken action too early without proper evidence
    • The PCB anti-corruption unit consists of retired ISI officials, and have done their job with proper responsibility, and the proof of this was two people being arrested by the British criminal investigation agencies on this matter today. Even though they were granted bail later, the fact that they were arrested suggests that this is a serious issue and no trivial matter
    • A few players told us about approaches from bookies after which action was taken
    • A charge-sheet will be prepared against both players in the next two days, which will also be released to the public
    • We don't want to destabilize the league. We don't want it to have the fate of the IPL or other leagues, which is why this action was taken
    • Sharjeel & Khalid have confessed to their actions and are now asking for forgiveness, but we will be very strict and take proper action against them this time
    • I was very shocked to hear this news. First a player reported to us about an approach. Even as we were processing this and deciding what to do, we received more information about what was going to happen in the very first game. We then had to make a decision whether to stop this or let the deal happen, so that we could have proper evidence against them
    • Since it was a case of spot fixing and not match fixing, we decided to give the player the benefit of the doubt and let him commit the crime. When the match took place, the player did exactly what was told to him, after which he was called and informed that he was suspended
    • We also have data of their telephone calls
    • It was very important to suspend these players. If this wasn't done, the disease would have become more widespread. What we have done is for the benefit of the nation, and the naysayers will realize this once we provide the evidence
    • We have the support of all the franchises, who have given us full license to take action against and suspend any of their players involved in wrongdoing, for the sake of the long term maintenance of the league
    • PCB have never taken action against the wrongdoers before, but now we have a zero tolerance for corruption and we will deal very strictly with these players this time
    • Players like Kumar Sangakarra and Dean Jones have also backed us for our actions and are supporting us in this situation
    • We have shared some information with the ICC and they shared some information with us and both parties have handled the situation very well. For the last four days, all my attention, as well as the attention of our lawyer Salman Naseer and the head of our ACU, ex-ISI official Colonel Azam has been on this matter
    • We will continue our investigation in this matter and we will take action for any information we receive at any stage against any player from Sharjeel, Khalid or anybody else
    • We will ask all the foreign players consent on whether they want to play the final in Lahore on 22nd February, and have another draft based on that, if need be
    • The Army Chief has said that the army will make sure of full security for the PSL final, and I would like to salute him for that statement as the PSL is a national asset

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  2. Mad Genius

Mad Genius Cornered Tiger

Oct 6, 2014
    I was hoping that charges against Sharjeel are restricted to failure to report but alas. Tragic

3. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
  4. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    Tell them to save their forgiveness for when theyre getting it up the ass in their cells

5. Markhor

Markhor Talented

May 9, 2010
    A sad day for Pakistan cricket but even sadder one for these two gents. Two players in the prime of their careers have thrown it all away.

Once you get involved with these mafia types its extremely difficult to escape their clutches without sounding too dramatic. Once they win your trust, and gain access to your career, financial and family life they have the dirt needed to blackmail you into doing what they want.

Its unbelievable given Sharjeel had a Leicestershire deal lined up with further lucrative T20 contracts likely to have come, was playing regularly for the national team and was on an upwards trajectory as far as his batting was concerned, earning a Test debut.

Sharjeel should never have got himself involved with these people, he has only himself to blame and if investigations confirm he has fixed then but PCB has to stand firm and mete out a harsh punishment to protect the integrity of their league. Justice should not have soft corners for talented players, Justice Qayyum's mistake CANNOT be repeated.

6. MNA

MNA Smooth Operator

Mar 11, 2015
    Justice Qayyum's report did more damage than good for Pakistan cricket in my opinion.

It set a precedent that a popular, telanted and influential player is likely to be dealt with more leniency than a player with lesser standing, talent or affluence. Exactly the true relection of our society.

7. cricketrulez

cricketrulez Banned

Feb 1, 2010
    his PSL salary in 2017 is $70K = PKR 7000K

How feather brained do you have to be to risk it all for PKR 200K

what a waste

8. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Sultan of Swing

Aug 31, 2011
    Now they all hold important and influential positions. That is the reward they get for being dishonest people.

9. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Tracer Bullet

Jun 18, 2012
  10. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Whispering Death

Nov 13, 2015
    Both shud b allowed back in cricket without any punishment, with immediate effect. Lol.

At times, u dont even know what to say, even calling for their punishment seems boring.

11. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    Freaking Wasim should be held responsible for this. That laanti ran wild with it and made it okay for everyone. Hate that guy's face.

12. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    Ban for life. 5 years for Khalid. Kick them all out man. Enough of this.

13. Mad Genius

Mad Genius Cornered Tiger

Oct 6, 2014
    Sharjeel must have been involved in fixing for quite some time since he was a nobody and once you get into such stuff, you can't get out of it. At this stage of his career, fixing would probably more due to blackmailing rather than greed.

14. cricketrulez

cricketrulez Banned

Feb 1, 2010
    that makes sense.

15. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    Good point brother.

16. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    Jamshed must have been doing it as well for long time if he was that close with the bookie. I wonder who else knew that bookie.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

17. The Juice

The Juice Banned

Apr 6, 2015
    Even Imran Farhat knew the bookie

18. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Tracer Bullet

Jun 18, 2012
    What's your source?

19. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Ignore him man lol

20. The Juice

The Juice Banned

Apr 6, 2015
    There was a picture of him with that bookie

21. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Tracer Bullet

Jun 18, 2012
    Care to share actual proof (i.e.: A pic) or will you keep shooting blanks?

22. The Juice

The Juice Banned

Apr 6, 2015
    [​IMG]

23. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Tracer Bullet

Jun 18, 2012
    Interesting. Wonder why Geo cropped Imran Farhat out of the picture in the video in the OP. It seems to be the same picture. Possibly fearing Imran Farhat suing them for implying he's linked to the fixers without substantial proof.

24. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    @The Juice Arabs dont watch Samaa New channel :D

25. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Looool saw aliasad post on pp saying sharjeel was going to be an odi great. Lol wth man. Some of our fans really hype our players.. odi great lol

26. Express Pace

Express Pace Cornered Tiger

May 11, 2012
    He still can be an ODI great. In the prison team.

27. Del

Del Cornered Tiger

Dec 21, 2016
    Sharjeel is done and dusted for good. Even though I was excited about his progress and after a long, long time we had an opener who belongs to today's cricket but he threw it away - so I'll its a good riddance.

And if memory services me correctly, then wasn't a video surfaced few months ago where he looked panicked and agitated and refused any kind of fixing claims against him?

I don't know why I suspect he was into this thing from a long time.

28. zkhan427

zkhan427 Smooth Operator

Oct 2, 2012
    theyre going to remake the longest yard movie

29. Alchemy

Alchemy Smooth Operator

Oct 8, 2014
    Only has himself to blame. Life ban, nothing short. Do away with these criminals.

30. cricketrulez

cricketrulez Banned

Feb 1, 2010
    If this is true, pak cricket might be a lot more trouble than anyone realizes!

The question then becomes what is not of the table to satisfy the blackmailers? The answer at this point is nothing is of the table!

Scary thought!

31. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    I think v shud balance our resources and invest equally in other sports as well.

32. taqvi

taqvi Emerging Player

Feb 5, 2011
    man this is sad... After so long, I started enjoying watching a pak opener blitz N flare ... he needs to be banned for life

33. Mohan

Mohan Formerly 'Captain Clutch'

Nov 4, 2014
    You cannot deny he is a very clean hitter. Had the potential to be the next Sehwag but sad he threw it away. What a waste.

34. Mohan

Nov 4, 2014
    I have always wondered why saint Amir was cheered back into the team as soon as his ban period came to an end while fans demand nothing short of a life ban for other fixers.

Strange reactions.

35. Mohan

Nov 4, 2014
    Two centuries in three games in that 2013 India tour. No he is not a ghaddar.

36. Don Quixote

Nov 13, 2015
    He didnt have the potential to b the next Sehwag coz Sehwag averaged almost 50 in FC. While Sharjeel averages below 40. No comparison dude. Yes he was a clean hitter , but cud have surpassed Sehwag in LOIs though.

37. harsha

harsha Youngsta Beauty

Nov 17, 2013
    Not excusing Amir who i felt had to be banned for life. But to be honest , Amir fixed to bowl a no ball whereas Sharjeel fixed to throw away his wicket.

38. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Sultan of Swing

Aug 31, 2011
    The track has gotten much slower

Man I am loving the use of Khumariyans Tamasha for the highlights. Aamer and Farhan will be happy dudes tonight

39. Desi_Joker

Desi_Joker Tracer Bullet

Jun 18, 2012
    No, Sharjeel fixed to block his first two balls.

40. harsha

harsha Youngsta Beauty

Nov 17, 2013
    Seeing as how he got out. No batsman in a reasonable amount of form would have played that shot.