Sharjeel, Latif charged for alleged corruption [Update: Post#413]

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Munna, Feb 10, 2017.

Sharjeel, Latif charged for alleged corruption [Update: Post#413]

by Munna
Feb 10, 2017 at 2:41 PM
  1. Munna

Munna Kaptaan

Oct 4, 2014
    Sharjeel Khan and Khalid Latif provisionally suspended by PCB

i.jpg

The Pakistan Cricket Board have today provisionally suspended two players under its Anti-Corruption Code as part of an ongoing investigation into an international syndicate which is believed to be attempting to corrupt the Pakistan Super League which started in Dubai yesterday.

Sharjeel Khan and Khalid Latif have been suspended and the rigorous and wide-ranging investigation by the PCB supported by the ICC will continue as part of collective efforts to protect the integrity of the sport.

Najam Sethi, Chairman of the PSL said: “It would not be appropriate to comment on the specifics of the case, however this investigation is a clear demonstration of our determination to drive corruption out of our sport. We will not tolerate any form of corrupt activity and as this investigation proceeds we will not hesitate to take further decisive action as appropriate.

“The investigation of the PCB Anti-Corruption Unit backed by the ICC ACU has been effective in dealing with this case to date and we will continue to work in the closest collaboration as the investigation proceeds. We are all absolutely committed to relentlessly pursuing anyone who would seek to damage the integrity of our sport.”

Chairman PCB, Mian Shaharyar M. Khan said, “I must remind all players of their responsibilities in the fight against corruption. They must understand that if they even think they may have been the subject of a suspicious approach, it is their obligation under the PCB Anti-Corruption Code to report it to an appropriate anti-corruption official as a matter of urgency.”

“Under no circumstances will the PCB condone actions of a few individuals to bring disrepute to the game of cricket or taint the image of Pakistan.”

The PCB and the ICC will not make any further comment in respect of ongoing investigation.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2017
Munna puts his talent of making up stuff to good use for writing boring articles and reports on Cricistan, though he once won the Most Cheerful Poster of Cricistan award.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

1. The Juice

The Juice Banned

Apr 6, 2015
      PCB actually pays alot of money and including sponsors.They can easily make something like 1 million

2. Shaz130

Shaz130 Talented

Dec 29, 2016
      He was no Inzimam. However he was an opener we needed at the start. His power game was something we were missing for a while. He also looked like a hardworking player who evolved his game every tour. So he was no Imran Nazir or Afridi. He was becoming more like Chris Gayle mold.

3. Mohsin

Mohsin Sultan of Swing

Feb 21, 2010
    4. The Juice

The Juice Banned

Apr 6, 2015
      20 years ban for attempting to fix a match........That looks scary and going by Najam words I think they both did the same thing

5. Shaz130

Shaz130 Talented

Dec 29, 2016
      Whose getting banned for 20 years?

6. The Juice

The Juice Banned

Apr 6, 2015
      Gulam Bodi was banned by CSA.

7. Shaz130

Shaz130 Talented

Dec 29, 2016
      If he was a youngster it would have effected him more. On Wikia it says he's 38. Looks like he wanted to retire from cricket with a bang.

8. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
      this is also Misbah's fault

9. Alchemy

Alchemy Smooth Operator

Oct 8, 2014
      Sharjeel Khan has not only robbed himself but he has robbed the nation and the team because many saw him as our opener for a considerable time. He has humiliated everyone including himself. Theres no coming back from this. What a retard! Hurts to type this. This all. It hurts.

10. Shaz130

Shaz130 Talented

Dec 29, 2016
      Sharjeel was just getting popular around the world. If he did this with less popularity who would have known what he would do when he got more popular? I am very impressed by the PCB on this. I hope justice prevails.

11. The Juice

The Juice Banned

Apr 6, 2015
      Sharjeel is in dig deep trouble.He did what Butt did and paid the consequences

12. The Juice

The Juice Banned

Apr 6, 2015
      Actually when I heard about two players suspened during the match I thought it would have been some lower case players but never thought about Sharjeel btw Khalid's drop from playing XI looked suspicious

13. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
      heard he was crying on the plane [​IMG]

14. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
      PSL was supposed to unveil new talent instead it is unveilng match fixers.

Name of Pak cricket being dragged through mud yet again.

15. The Juice

The Juice Banned

Apr 6, 2015
      So? should that mean he should be allowed back without a punishment and that pretty much confirms that he did the crime

16. The Juice

The Juice Banned

Apr 6, 2015
      Every league does that lol

17. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
      :facepalm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
      Yes. Don't need a lesson from you thanks.

19. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
      Azharuddin was the Captain of India and banned for life. Ajay Jadeja was banned for five years.

Didn't stop some players from fixing in last year's IPL.

Some people are going to make it sound like allowing Amir back played a part in this, but tell me again, what dumbasses would risk 5 years or their entire career + dropping the soap in jail for a few extra bucks? You know, like Amir, Butt and Asif did.

You won't unless you're extraordinarily stupid.

20. The Juice

The Juice Banned

Apr 6, 2015
      Maybe some players are not interested in cricket anymore and just want to leave the game with some money.Khalid Latif looked like a disinterested fella

21. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
      Well if it includes Islamabad united, the captain should be banned for life too. Impossible for him not to know

22. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
      I'm amazed to see the logic of people who claim to be experienced and 'elders' sometimes.

So a bookie tells me to play three dot balls in the first over of a T20 and a captain absolutely have to know about it? How so?

Last I checked Sharjeel was a batsman with a fixed batting position. Not a bowler which the captain chooses when to bowl.

23. SOPL

SOPL Talented

Jun 4, 2013
      Was shocked after opening Cricinfo after a mate told me to do so earlier. Really depressing stuff, especially Sharjeel who was slowly becoming a household name.

IMO, he was the only player along with Sarfraz that Pakistan fans had invested faith in. Turns the stomach if he has just decided to spit on their faces.

But nothing has been confirmed yet AFAIK. It could arguably be the PCB taking a very harsh stance post-2010.

24. Bilal123

Bilal123 Tracer Bullet

Dec 11, 2010
      PCB is working so hard to bring cricket back to Pakistan and keep interest alive yet these idiotic players are ruining the image with scum bag behaviour.
      They're so selfish and unpatriotic. They need to be banned for life if found to be cheaters. This has gone too far

25. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
      For a match to be fixed yeah the captain maybe knows. Especially if its for a period of time.

For spot fixing its not necessary. Dont let your hatred cloud your judgement and label innocent men as guilty. Have some decency bruh.

26. Donal Cozzie

Donal Cozzie Tracer Bullet

Nov 4, 2014
      @iZeeshan made a post a week ago accusing Umar Akmal of being dodgy af during the Aus series.

Obviously I'm not making an accusation, but if it turns out he's involved Zeesh I'll be PM'ng you my paddy power account and granting you access to my bank account to bet as much as you like lol.

27. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
      Clearly Sharjeel's bookie partners drugged the entire Ireland team's drinks with horse tranquiliziers so he'd score big and we'd lose in August. I demand 100 million in compensation from the PCB.

28. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
      I dont mean to deflect from our players who may be guilty and some have been proven guilty in the past.

However its incredibly naive to think bookies just sit and wait for Pakistan to play. I reckon almost every T20 league has elements of fixing. Its just far too easy and I doubt many players have loyalty to the brand that they play for.

29. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
      Also incredibly unprofessional statements from PCB chairman. These guys just love being in the limelight with their vague comments.

Just shut up and say an investigation is underway.

I reckon a lot of text messages are being hurriedly deleted from a lot of phones at the moment!

30. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
      Fair point, dont think its the case in the IPL/BBL or even the CPL due to the island's being nations, but the BBL, Masters League and in the past SLPL were likely rife with fixing

31. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
      IPL didnt sreesanth and co get done also some teams??

CPL is located in/near nations where mafia runs rife.

Anyway for fixing to take place it just needs a few shady players. Its not inconcievable that someone recruited in SLPL is then pressed further when he moves to another league.

32. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
      Mohali, endless unnecessary tuk tuks (how many maiden overs is that in a career), now this.

1+1=2

I'm joking by the way - he's not really good enough to fix

33. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
      Irfan on a flight back to PK too?? Seeing it on facebook any confirmation??
      @Mercenary you heard anything.

34. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
      Iam not generalising but you must have witnessed it yourself as well by interacting with ppl here that it is just not sports but in every field our ppl are more greedy and financially insecure and involved in dodgy or corrupt activities.

May be its the third world mentality or fear of nor having enough money for your future and for your children that we are always involved in such things one way or another.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

35. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
      Just read this too

Mohammad Irfan being sent back to Pakistan, his phone seized by anti-corruption unit over match-fixing allegations, local media reports

36. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
    37. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
      Yes seen that on Twitter. Apparently another player has been named on social media too. Anyone know.

I'm hoping for kakmal, junior, malik, hafeez and Misbah - get rid of the dead wood

38. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
      Messed up thing about Pakistanis are that those who can provide for their kids and have healthy finances are the biggest theives

39. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
      Meh I wouldnt hope it for anyone just coz I dont like them.

But hey thats just me.

40. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
      Ramiz Raja recommends total ban on players if found guilty

DUBAI: Frustrated at the shameful incident of two Pakistani cricketers being suspended and investigated for alleged links with an international syndicate of corrupt practices, the former captain and commentator Ramiz Raja has questioned the upbringing of such cricketers.

Talking exclusively to geo.tv in Dubai on Friday, Raja said that he was saddened and frustrated to hear the news that players were caught in attempts to corrupt the Pakistan Super League.

“It will also hurt PSL and people would start questioning the credibility of PSL. We have worked really hard to lift this league up and I am very hurt to see all these happenings,” Ramiz said.

The Pakistan Cricket Board on Friday announced that two players Khalid Latif and Sharjeel Khan were provisionally suspended and an inquiry was initiated against them for their alleged links with an international syndicate trying to corrupt Pakistan Super League.

Although, the PCB didn’t elaborate further on the events, but sources have confirmed that players were seen connecting with suspected bookies on the day when PSL’s second edition was formally kicked-off in Dubai, following the development both were sent back to home.

Ramiz, who’s also a brand ambassador of Pakistan Super League, question the upbringing and teaching of cricketers who’re attempting to corrupt an event of cricket.

“I fail to understand that why can one even think about such activities, I have no option but to believe that it has to do with their upbringing because they haven’t learnt anything and haven’t improved their horizon even after witnessing and experiencing the world,” he said.

“Sometimes players start considering themselves larger than the life and in such scenario they just get on wrong path… this is mostly because they were not properly taught while brought up on how to remain honest,” commented Raja while expressing his frustration on the development.

The former captain further demanded that both the players, if found guilty, should be banned forever and shouldn’t be pardoned for the sin they committed. Raja said that PCB must impose a “zero appearance” policy on such cricketers and they should never be allowed to comeback.

“I would recommend a total ban on them if they’re proven guilty, they have nothing to do with cricket, they don’t want to learn and every time hang our head in shame.

Yesterday they were standing for Pakistan anthem, taking oath of remaining honest and the next day they were caught… this is not acceptable. We must not forgive such people, they don’t deserve being pardoned,” Raja said.

Ramiz, however, praised the Pakistan Cricket Board for the prompt and transparent approach in dealing with the case involving Sharjeel Khan and Khalid Latif.

“The good point there was that PCB reacted promptly and didn’t hide anything, kept everything transparent to disengage those players from everything,” he concluded.

https://www.geo.tv/latest/130691-Ramiz-Raja-recommends-total-ban-on-players-if-found-guilty