Shoaib Akhtar returns to competitive cricket

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Feb 4, 2010.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    Shoaib Akhtar returns to competitive cricket

by Abdul Habib
    4th February 2010

shoaib_akhtar_pakistan_cricket_fastest_bowler.png

Speaking exclusively to Cricistan.com, KRL fast bowler Mohammad Irfan revealed that Shoaib Akhtar is currently in training with the KRL squad. Akhtar has been recovering from a liposuction operation but he's now fully fit and will be playing in the upcoming RBS ODI tournament to prove his fitness ahead of the T20 World Cup.

Irfan said that Akhtar looks to be in very good shape and has been bowling in the nets for the last two days. Akhtar remembered the 6'10 Irfan from their meeting at the Lahore NCA and he commented on how much Irfan had improved since then.

Despite Akhtar being focused on his own training he still had time to answer questions from Irfan and for an impromptu coaching session. Irfan told Akhtar that he was working on his outswinger and would appreciate some tips, so Akhtar gave him some advice and watched him put it into practise in the nets. Irfan managed to get the ball moving out and Akhtar was impressed with how quickly he picked it up. Irfan said he'll keep practising with the tips that Akhtar gave him.

Irfan is really excited about bowling alongside Akhtar during the upcoming RBS ODI series. KRL now boasts the world's fastest bowler and the world's tallest bowler in the same team, it'll be interesting to see how the other sides cope against these two bowlers.

2. Khurram

Khurram Youngsta Beauty

Feb 4, 2010
    Its really good news that Shoaib has started bowling again. I want to see him in national team soon.
    Good luck to Shoaib Akhtar

3. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    I have long given up on Akhtar. If he does make a come back I really hope for his sake he is able to play more then handful of games. He hasn't got a thing to prove to me or anyone within world cricket that he is one of the very best bowlers when he plays.

Most people consider him to be a fast bowler I consider him to be a smart bowler. Unless I am wrong its mostly due to Akhtar that slower balls came back into fashion.

If he got the surgery for the right reasons and he is putting in the right amount of work into his fitness for the right reasons....I believe he is still pretty good for least two years.

4. Omar

Omar Cricistan Moderator

Jan 27, 2010

Absolutely my sentiments aswell!

5. iDone

iDone Youngsta Beauty

Jan 25, 2010
    I wish him all the best for his future with national team. And I really hope that Irfan should learn something positive from him, and should not learn something other than cricket. :)

6. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    What a fighter.

7. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    I've always been an Akhtar fan but I don't think we should have played him after 2006. By then he was already too overweight and unfit to last a full match. Sure he had a few decent performances but he was never able to keep up the pressure because he was out of breath by the 3rd over he bowled.

I'm still not convinced that he's match fit, losing weight and match conditioning are two totally different things. I guess we'll have to wait till 10th February to see if he can last the 10 overs of a one day game but a return to the national team? I hope we dont see that, he's had his time and I dont see him bringing anything other than disruption and infighting.

With the current turmoil in the team, I wouldnt be surprised if he makes one last push for captaincy before he hangs up his boots and that's the last thing we need.

8. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    The other Shoaib brings disruption and infighting but no one dares dropping him but one with far more talent should be kept out?

9. Qazaa

Qazaa Youngsta Beauty

Jan 20, 2010
    The man has had too many chances for my liking.

Wish him luck but i hope he has returned with a better attitiude.

10. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    He can be a handy bowler in t20 even with his fitness level but if he can just hang around the field a bit. so i think if he is fit enough to bowl 4 overs he can be in out t20 team. but do we need him is the question, or leave him and select a budding fast bowler.

11. sohaib-789

sohaib-789 Emerging Player

Mar 11, 2010
    bump
    6 wickets today from the legend.

12. Kashif

Kashif Pehlwaan

Dec 27, 2009
    This guy refuses to quit! Just seen highlights of his bowling today. Some excellant trademark inswinging yorkers. He will inevitably breakdown but I admire his tenacity.

13. Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar

Mutazalzaluzzaman Tarar Emerging Player

Mar 18, 2010
    why does he even want to play any more? when he was young and the team needed him, he behaved like a retard. well, now he's old and washed up and the team doesn't need him, he seems to be trying hard.

this is what you call fate. all these players think they're bigger than the game and behave like gods. but they forget that players (no matter how great) come and go... but the game will always be there.

14. the_game

the_game Youngsta Beauty

Dec 23, 2009
    What a beast. And he looks fitter too, might be too late for him though.

15. zeenix

zeenix Administrator

Dec 17, 2009
    A tale of too little too late

16. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    You never know! If Irfan can be dropped at the last minute, then Akhtar could be on the plane to England because of similar idiotic type of decision by our dynamic leader on PCB!

17. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    Still the fastest bowler in Pakistan. Long live this fighter. Compare him to all the people who retired or joined ICL as soon as they were dropped. This guy loves playing for Pakistan. And stands up to Australia, South Africa etc. when others' modus operandi is to have 9 people on the boundary. No one else could ever even dream of dismissing Ponting, M.Waugh, S.Waugh in 4 balls.

Some people are quick to insult him even when this guy takes 6 wickets. Yeah we all know the negatives, and we've discussed them to death. But when its time to give him credit for his fighting spirit at this age, why change the topic and whinge about the past for the billionth time.

18. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    No. This guy does not love to play for Pakistan. If he did, he would not be involved in as many controversies as he did ... knowing that he would be dropped, banned or punished. He always thought he was bigger than the game of cricket. When played his last match for Pakistan, he had only played in about 45-49% of the possible matches that he could play for Pakistan ... meaning he missed more matches than he actually played. So, no... Shoaib never loved playing for Pakistan and he never will.

Let me clarify that I am not a Shoaib-hater becuase pointing out flaws does does not mean you hate somebody!

19. wik_rko

wik_rko Youngsta Beauty

Feb 16, 2010
    bad news

its bad news for akhtar's haters coz he is back
    nomatter how bad u guys criticised, u guys lost
    he has bowled good in 1st match in pantaguler cup nd second one was the best wen he picked up 6 WICKETS...
    nd jus to tell u guys, for of those wickets were REVERSE SWING MIDDLE STUMP BOWLED...
    the pitch wasnt supporting the bowlers at all, but still he managed 6 wickets...
    shame on u guys who r against this guy who soo much better than us...

20. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    With all those warts, drug scandals, fights with fellow player and other things ... he may be better than you but he certainly not better than me! :p

21. Feather

Feather Head Surfer

Dec 19, 2009
    Thank you! He might bowl faster then me and most others. He might be a brilliant bowler when fit however that too is a rare sight. He has no one else to blame but himself. End of the day he owes us rather then us as we are the ones who placed faith in him over and over again for him to only to fail us one more time with a promise to perform the next time.

If anyone thinks that Akhtar has won the battle or a fight...all I can say LOL!!

22. Wasim

Wasim Smooth Operator

Jan 20, 2010
    Yeah you sure aren't a Shoaib-hater:confused:

I think you forgot to read my last paragraph.

Some people are quick to insult him even when this guy takes 6 wickets. Yeah we all know the negatives, and we've discussed them to death. But when its time to give him credit for his fighting spirit at this age, why change the topic and whinge about the past for the billionth time.

Criticism is valid. He lacked discipline. and all the blah blah that some people dont get tired of talking. But when you dont give him credit for 6 wickets he took yesterday but complain about his past mistakes like a broken record, you appear to be a hater.

Husker, you also did not comment on the rest of my first para. No ICL..No retirements..No giving up to tough oppositions.:D

23. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    I the biggest fan of bowling when he could bowl at his peak! One more time, I am not a Shaoib-hater but totally condemn the type of career he had for Pakistan... but you don't have to believe me!

If somebody slaps you one time, then another time, then another time .... wouldn't you be afraid to get slapped when you see him next time? Past history DOES count in these type of cases. Shoaib may have disappointed us with his bowling sometimes but he has NEVER failed to disappoint us when it comes to controversies.

This is not the first time he has taken 6 wickets. So what's the big deal? Zulfiqar Baber took 6/10 in 8 overs against Punjab today. Should we put him on the plane to England also?

What there is comment? I loved to see bowl but if you are calling NWFP a tough opposition then I would have to question your knowledge of cricket or you are just in love ... as oppose to hate ;) .... with the Shoaib.

24. Rizzy

Rizzy Talented

Mar 1, 2010
    We need someone LIKE shoaib, not shoaib himself (due to excess baggage that comes with him). We dont have any genuine quicks (90mph+) in the side apart from Aamer.

Gul, Asif and Razzaq who all open the bowling for pakistan all have a good line and length and are great bowlers but haven't got that extra bit of pace like shoaib had in his day. Selectors need to try and fine a genuine pace bowler for a more balanced attack.

How fast does Irfan bowl? with his bounce and if he is fast we have got a deadly combination.

25. Observer

Observer Emerging Player

Feb 27, 2010

I don't think PAK team should focus too much on speed only. You need to have more than speed to become a great bowler. I am not saying that Shoaib wasn't good bowler (in the past). Just like you I don't want to see him back in the team to play havoc with the team. We have relatively young team and must notice that he (Shoaib) is no longer a junior member of the team and thus can do great damage by just being there with his "baggage" of issues.

Personally I think Aamer and Irfan could be a good combination. An Aamer with speed and movement in combination with Irfan's less speed, movement and extra bounce can make it difficult for the opposition provided both bowlers are able to consistently deliver line and length.

26. HuskerFan

HuskerFan Talented

Jan 30, 2010
    How many names from those 6 wickets do you even recognised ... beside Imran "walking wicket" Nazir?
    Code:
    Imran Nazir  	 		b Shoaib Akhtar  	12
    Rafatullah Mohmand c †Naeem  	b Shoaib Akhtar 	 5
    Ahmed Said† 			b Shoaib Akhtar 	46
    Zohaib Khan 	c Umair Khan 	b Shoaib Akhtar 	47
    Yasir Shah 			b Shoaib Akhtar 	 4
    Sohail Khan 			b Shoaib Akhtar 	 5
    BTW, Zohaib, Yasir and Sohail batted at #7, 9, and 10 respectively.

27. sohaib-789

sohaib-789 Emerging Player

Mar 11, 2010
    Never mind who he got out,
    the balls were simply unplayable even ponting and kallis wouldnt have survived.

28. Rizzy

Rizzy Talented

Mar 1, 2010
    lets just hope he is fit enough for the next game and hasnt got injured