Shoaib Malik to step down as Karachi Kings captain

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Passionate Pakistani, Feb 19, 2016.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani The Don

Jun 10, 2011
    @JaagAlerts: Just in: Shoaib Malik decides to step down as captain of Karachi Kings #PSL

Bopara will lead team tomorrow.

2. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    Once used to be the best t20 captain... shrug

3. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
    That escalated quickly

4. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    What's the reason for this?

5. Choi Saab

Choi Saab Smooth Operator

Oct 4, 2014
    What timing lol. Big game tomorrow and he steps down now.

Not that it really matters in T20 leagues really, but still with a huge game tomorrow and his team blowing hot and cold, would have been better served if he stayed on.

6. Fawad

Fawad Sultan of Swing

Sep 1, 2010
    And that's the guy some fans wanted leading the national side after Afridi.

EDIT:

What's Bopara's motive for this dressing room skirmish? Get paid, play and get out of there. Its not like his contract will be boosted if he's the captain. No one is blaming him for Karachi's losses. Malik shouldn't have allowed him to take over the team, even with 2 wins out of 8.

I have felt a bit guilty about captaincy being taken away from him prematurely in 2008, but antics like avoiding a sinking ship, allowing teammates to challenge him are sign of a weak leadership.

All in all, I'm disappointed. Karachi fans deserved the Malik who was a domestic champion with Sialkot, not this weak version.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
  7. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    I'll put my hand up and admit I wanted Malik to lead instead of Afridi and Sarfraz. But in all fairness, the people who wanted Malik to captain -- their wish wasn't unwarranted. He was a good captain when was selected 8 odd years ago and he's done extremely well in domestic.

But this. This is a selfish move IMO.

8. Prince Pathan

Prince Pathan Sultan of Swing

Aug 31, 2011

It was selfish to select his buddies and bench some decent players, Fawad Alam being one of them

9. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Moderator

Dec 26, 2011
    Well well this is interesting. I wonder why hmm.

10. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    fawad alam in t20s ? okay then.

11. raamishasadraza

raamishasadraza Talented

Feb 25, 2014
    fawad in t20s is questionable. but he did sit out sohail khan for many matches, nauman anwar was given a little too many chances , shahzeb hassan wasnt played till later. mir hamza was not given an over although he was playing, and then dropped the next match. So yeah he chose his team by nepotism.

12. saiyan0321

saiyan0321 Cornered Tiger

Oct 5, 2014
    Lo jee. Kaaptan sahab ran away with his tail between his leg. Disgusting. One match and an all important match abf you decide to quite without taking the responsibility of seeing your team through. It means he knows his team will fail and he doesn't want to take responsibility nor the media pressure for such a pathetic performance. Psl has exposed malik's captaincy in a horrible fashion and its been down right shocking.

13. KingOfDoosra

KingOfDoosra Sultan of Swing

Jun 8, 2012
    Malik didn't really look committed to the side from the first game tbh

14. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    There has got to be more to this. Just before a massive game he gives up the captaincy? Doesn't sit right with me!

15. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
    I think bopara criticised his decision of batting first in last match..

16. chandtara

chandtara Mr Cricistan

Jun 18, 2011
    I was reading up a report earlier saying something similar -

17. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
    If that is the reason, then one would expect the captain to talk to his players about his decision and have confidence in it instead of quitting right before the biggest game. Is he really that thin skinned that he can't take criticism even in one game in a T20 league?

18. Raf Pragmatic

Raf Pragmatic Banned

Jan 7, 2013
  19. raamishasadraza

raamishasadraza Talented

Feb 25, 2014
    and this is why malik shud never be captain.

20. saiyan0321

saiyan0321 Cornered Tiger

Oct 5, 2014
    Well bopara seemed unhappy with a few calls and even if the management or the owner were involved it doesn't mean that you quit bcz frankly yar there is nothing I hate more than a captain who quits during s tournament, series or competition. It highlights his cowardice and weaknesses than anybody elses and if a few back remarks of bopara and the owner telling him off is all what took him to quit then he was never good enough for captaincy and thanks to PSL it was revealed that he cannot lead Pakistan team as well which is filled with involvement and peeved off players...

With a big game today malik most probably became glad that he won't be the one who will today and contemplated quitting... First edition PSL and our own chosen captain buckles under the pressure. This really is Pakistan super league. :p :p :p :p

21. Shahzebayub

Shahzebayub Smooth Operator

Feb 3, 2012
    wth is wrong with owner,
    http://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-news/78110/shoaib-malik-steps-down-as-captain-of-karachi-kings

22. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Kaptaan

Sep 22, 2012
    Quite odd to step down mid series, something must have happened in the dressing room

23. Shahzebayub

Shahzebayub Smooth Operator

Feb 3, 2012
    it is certain that Salman forcing them to win, lol win is not always in your hand

24. Munna

Munna Moderator-e-Aala

Oct 4, 2014
  25. Fawad

Fawad Sultan of Swing

Sep 1, 2010
    Btw, does... does that mean Lahore didn't have the worst captain? Asking for a friend.

26. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Moderator

Dec 26, 2011
    Out for a duck. Oh dear.

27. XYZ

XYZ Banned

Sep 11, 2013
    He needs to step down as a player also. Not only from KK team but also from Pak team!