1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Shoaib shines on comeback as Pakistan compile 286 on Day One.

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Ahson8, Oct 13, 2015.

Shoaib shines on comeback as Pakistan compile 286 on Day One.

by Ahson Afzal
Oct 13, 2015 at 5:13 PM
  1. Ahson8

Ahson8 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 9, 2012
    Review of the first day's play from the 1st Test between Pakistan & England.

shoaib-malik-pakistan-england-2015-t1d1a.png
    At stumps: Pakistan 286 for 4 (Shoaib 124*, Hafeez 98) v England

Shoaib Malik marked his comeback to Test cricket in grand style as he scored 124 runs off 230 deliveries on the first day of play between Pakistan & England. Included on the back of his good form in limited overs cricket and because he provides an extra spin option, Malik didnot disappoint. He batted the No. 3 spot in the absence of the unfit Azhar Ali. Malik came in to bat as early in the third over of the day and did well to stay not out by the end of the day although he did get a reprieve on 40, when he edged a Stuart Broad delivery to gully off a noball.

Earlier in the day, Pakistan received a blow as legspinner Yasir Shah was ruled out for the first test. To add insult to injury, Zafar Gohar did not receive his UAE visa in time, which meant Pakistan was forced to play three pacers. Misbah-ul-Haq won the toss and elected to bat first, and while Pakistan lost an early wicket in Shan Masood, Shoaib Malik and Mohammad Hafeez put up a 168 run partnership for the 2nd wicket, justifying the decision.

Shan was out in the third over of the day's play to James Anderson, stepping out of his crease to play the bouncer but not playing it after all. The ball bounced off the grill of his helmet and onto the stumps to hand Pakistan an early blow. Anderson could have had a second wicket two overs later when Mohammad Hafeez, batting on 7, edged a delivery to Ian Bell, only for it to be dropped. Hafeez made full use of the chance and went on to score 98, before falling leg before wicket to Stokes at the stroke of tea. He started slowly, but opened up vs Adil Rashid, the England legspinner on debut, scoring 43 off 39 vs him.

Younis Khan came on to bat after Hafeez was dismissed and scored 38 off 57, in the process overcoming Javed Miandad's record of highest runscorer with a six off Moeen Ali's bowling. He however fell to Stuart Broad, hitting a shot straight to Alastair Cook at midon. Misbah-ul-Haq came in next but his stay was shortlived as he flirted with an Anderson delivery outside offstump. The umpire did not deem Misbah to be out, but England were convinced and decided to go for a review. There did not seem to be enough evidence to overturn the decision - there was a sound as the ball went past the bat, but there was daylight between bat and ball. However, third umpire S.Ravi thought otherwise and sent Misbah packing.

Shoaib Malik & Asad Shafiq made sure there were no more dismissals and Pakistan ended the day at 286/4, although Shafiq got a life when he edged an Anderson delivery to Ian Bell who once again failed to take the catch.

What tomorrow holds:

It should be another fascinating day of Test cricket. England will hope they can snaffle early breakthroughs with the second new ball and will be hopeful of limiting Pakistan below 350, while Pakistan will hope for Shafiq & Malik to survive against the new ball and Sarfraz to cause damage with his explosive batting later. They should be aiming for a score of atleast above 350, if not 400.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2015
The author is a medical student and an avid fan of Pakistan cricket.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

1. CricketFan96

CricketFan96 Smooth Operator

Aug 4, 2012
      Malik and Hafeez played good cricket today, Hafeez was unlucky in the end to miss out from the centurion. Oh well.

Malik, is doing quite good and proving himself as a force, if he can do this consistently then way to go!

2. Dare2Dream

Dare2Dream Talented

May 4, 2010
      Ironically, these two guys have been so undependable in Test matches and have wasted spots in the past. Let's see how long this lasts, the key is playing good innings regularly, not just hogging a spot.

3. Passionate Pakistani

Passionate Pakistani Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Jun 10, 2011
      wont last long lol.. next few series are in NZ, Aus and England. Can you imagine Hafeez as opener and Malik as onedown against Boult,Southee, Starc, Johnson, Andereson on those pitches lol.

Its disappointing that we are still stuck with these guys, i bet even Kami will score on these pitches, does that mean we should play him as well ? Teams move forward, build for future and we recall politicians like Malik who was extremely lucky even on this pitch.

4. Ahson8

Jun 9, 2012
      Think Malik is here to stay. He is determined to make it count this time.

5. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
      yeah Misbah Part 2. Enjoy Pakistan cricket with him. i have already given up on these clowns.. there was a sign that we were moving forward with induction of new blood but slowly all these guys are back. cant be bothered with them

6. Ahson8

Jun 9, 2012

Do you expect us to play XI youngsters. It has to be a mixture of youth and experience. The kind of form Malik is in, not a bad thing at all to play him (atleast in limited overs). I really think Hafeez should not play ODIs anymore though. He just blocking out guys like Babar & Haris.

7. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
      Malik is in splendid form since April 2015. He can easily play couple of more years of good cricket.

8. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
      xi youngsters ? are you having a laugh ? who is youngster in this team ? only shaan ? who will also be dropped in next match to accommodate malik. and what malik form, he bashed kids on flat pitches, does that mean you include him in tests ?

and coming to odis.. Hafeez, malik, azhar, asad all are odis.. none of them is a youngster.. even sarfraz isnt a youngster.. only youngster in that batting order is rizwan tbh and you are talking about a XI youngster.

these guys like malik, hafeez had their chances and we need to move on from them.. do you really see malik and hafeez prospering against quality attacks on pitches with little help for bowlers ?

might as well recall taufeeq umar and kamran akmal.. tired of this shit and these nonsensical excuses and logics of fans. and then these fans have the audacity to criticise selection committee and team management,

9. ComradeVenom

ComradeVenom Tracer Bullet

Jul 24, 2012
      I was wanting his inclusion in the Test Series and he has justified my faith. A perfect selection for these conditions.

10. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
      so we will have two teams.. one for these conditions and one for tough conditions on away tours ? why not give chance to youngster to boost their averages on these pitches rather than playing these guys ?

shaan scored a brilliant century in last inning but now he will be dropped in next match to accommodate malik ? i seriously dont know what kind of progress is this.

11. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
      No harm playing two teams. Use ODIs to blood in youngsters. If there is a spin bowling allrounder in Pakistan domestic who is as good as Malik then get him in the side. Otherwise with no Test world cup or Test championship there is no need to bleed in youngsters in the UAE as only immediate results matter.

I see the inclusion of a spin bowling allrounder like Malik as justified on these pitches, just like England will have two teams for home and in Asia why can't Pakistan? The won't play 2 spinners at home but they do away. Its quite similar. The goal is to win test matches right now not in 4 years time ( which is the goal for ODIs).

12. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
      england are playing the same team as they played in ashes.. except moeen is replacing lyth who failed as a batsman. they are still playing 4 genuine pacers.

13. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
      Can't wait for Malik to fail and get dropped, what a poor and backwards selection it was. It might have worked but should never have been made, he's 34.

14. ComradeVenom

Jul 24, 2012
      Rashid didn't play the Ashes. They have dropped a batsman and replaced with a spinner due to conditions.

15. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
      lyth wasnt dropped for rashid. he was dropped because he was poor and failed. rashid and moeen both are all rounders and cover for lyth absence. i understand your point of playing team according to pitch requirement but our 4 bowlers are more than enough to win us games. we have won in past with 4 bowlers on these pitches with little or no contribution from hafeez.

now if you play hafeez and malik both on these pitches to boost their averages while expose youngsters on tough away tours isnt fair. Like last time we played Jamshed on away tour against SA, he failed and that was it for him but these guys will always be part of team courtesy of scoring bulk of runs on such pitches.

16. Ahson8

Jun 9, 2012
      I wasn't talking about this XI yar.

I also agree in Zimbabwe ODIs, there were too many seniors, which was disappointing & pathetic. But don't think we should target Malik at this stage because he is scoring runs and has a deserved selection. There are 10 other spots which youngsters can occupy.

Malik's scored runs everywhere in recent times - Pentangular Cup, CPL, World Cup, etc. so he deserved a go, and now he's scoring in international cricket so I don't get the fuss. It's not as if we have plethora of youngsters to replace him. Apart from Babar Azam, Fawad Alam, Haris Sohail & Umar Akmal tell me which youngster is capable of replacing him in the XI ?

17. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011
      which world cup ? he didnt play in worldcup because he didnt want to get early retirement.. him and hafeez not playing world cup was a blessing in disguise for them.

so babar, fawad, haris, akmal, maqsood are not enough name ? you are talking as if he led us to some historic win against southafrica that he is irreplaceable.. what a joke.

18. Ahson8

Jun 9, 2012
      My bad, not the World Cup... I think I meant to write domestic T20 (obviously nowhere near the WC lol)

As I said, there are 10 other spots in the team. If these youngsters are so good they will make it in the team. I know for a fact that Babar and Haris are excellent and will make it in ODI XI soon (and eventually in tests too). Fawad has obviously fallen down the pecking order in ODIs after poor performances vs Aus & Bangladesh, but he is already in test squad, and one of him or Haris will probably replace Misbah in the test XI.

Akmal & Maqsood have talent but they have serious temperament issues - they could never play innings like Malik's 96* vs Zimbabwe - you have to plan for future and play youngsters obviously but you also have to play your best XI and make sure that you're doing well in present otherwise you will just slip down the rankings.

19. Passionate Pakistani

Jun 10, 2011

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Akmal and Maqsood can never play inning like Maliks 96 against zimbabwe.. against zimbabwe

you are worse than shahzad.firdous man.. cant believe you said that..

anyways there you go

Pakistan chasing 276 in 45 overs against Srilanka.. are 106/5 after 23 overs
      http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/745159.html

and that was pre-world cup srilanka.. check their bowling line up as well.

And Akmal.. i think this was his first series.. scored 100 off 70 balls
      http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/403373.html

same akmal nearly scored a century in t20 worldcup against australia.

You must be having a great sense of humor if 96* against zimbabwe is a bench mark for you and apparently our youngsters can NEVER score like that in their entire career. Jokes.

20. Fireworks11

Fireworks11 Fantasy Draft Wins: 1

Sep 22, 2012
      Not like our kids have taken their chances in UAE. Malik although got in through contacts, he is delivering and is in the best form of his life

21. Ahson8

Jun 9, 2012
      *Current Akmal and Maqsood can not score innings like that.

It was Zimbabwe, but we were 76/5 with plenty of overs left. In that scenario Malik had to pace his innings, make sure he was there till the end and launch an assault at the right time.

I am well aware Umar has played some very good knocks in the past, but look at how he performed in the WC and in recent past. Let's not talk about T20's atm because nobody is doubting Akmal's ability in T20's; I'll go on to say he's our best T20 batsman, because in that format, a few big shots can make up a very good innings. Akmal has problems pacing his innings, which is why he struggles in ODIs - (maybe opening can sort him out) I doubt in current form, he can take us to victory from 75/5. His only innings that come close are the one vs Afghanistan in the Asia Cup (even there he was dropped) and the one vs SA in T20 WC 2012 where he & U. Gul took us over the victory line (it was a T20, but we were in dire dire straits).

I will be very surprised if in current form he can play an innings like that.

Same with Maqsood, he doesn't have the temperament to survive the hard period and then cash in later (that SL innings was good, but apart from that an his first few knocks, Maqsood hasn't really shown too much pressure).

And none of those two (currently) can be as consistent as Malik has been in last few days.

I think if he sorts his stuff out, Akmal can still have a good career for Pakistan.

22. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
      Malik's performance is being degraded as if it was a piece of cake. Against Zimbabwe we were 86/6 and he took us to a winning position and even today's knock is more than valuable. 3 out of top 5 failed to score significantly today. Its not that every one scored century today so literally discrediting Malik for his success is senseless and ridiculous.