1. Hi Guest we're sorry for the downtime but the site should be up and working now...

Click here

Sikandar Bakht, mithaai baante, main wapis nahi aa raha:- Misbah

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Wistful Reminisces, Mar 24, 2015.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. XYZ

XYZ Banned

Sep 11, 2013
    He is still test match captain!

That type of language does not suit an "educated" captain the national team!

There is difference between me and Misbah. When he speaks the whole country/world listens.
    I just troll less then 100 Misbah-ODI-player-fans here! :p

2. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
    What good players? Who do we have that is way better? People were mostly happy with this squad

No, the captain can't make players good, the players have to have some talent

Does Misbah tell Umar Akmal to play straight to the fielder? Does Misbah tell Shehzad not to move his feet?

3. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    Yes, he is

I did think some of it was a bit off, considering he is still test match captain. He obviously didn't dare criticise any player because of that and held back

I'd wait for his test retirement for the real gossip, tbh

But he did attack the anchors who attacked his captaincy. And he did it in an educated way. He destroyed their arguments, and did not stoop to personal attacks

4. XYZ

XYZ Banned

Sep 11, 2013

So you are saying it does not matter who the captain is?

5. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011

You are such a troll. Weren't you the one who was criticising Misbah before the WC? And now defending him lol.

No sir I won't take your bait, check your trolling on someone else.

6. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    This is an unnecessary sarcastic comment. Everyone knows that the captain is the blood and soul for the team. He sets the vision, passion, and direction for the team and we all know Misbah failed at that. He had 4 years to establish a batting order and couldn't do it. He refused to be imaginative and even change his poisition to figure something out. He refused to kick out the losers (Shafiq) or motivate/kick out the talented ones as well (Umar). He refused to fight for the good ones (Fawad).

Even at this point, I'd kick out Shehzad and Maqsood before Misbah, but you can't argue that Misbah being captain for 4 years and was unable to get a batting order together.

Btw, I believe that CS should bleep out the words Misbah and Afridi Mercenary

7. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah right, you just won't reply to these questions. I still think Misbah's captaincy is terrible, but players wise, who the heck did he have who was any better?

Captaincy of Misbah:- Not good
    Way it was criticised:- Unfair, and Misbah had every right to respond
    Selections:- Sarfraz one was not a good one, other than that, there was no one else who could have been taken, either too raw or not good enough

8. DONhill

DONhill Talented

Feb 4, 2015
    Laughing at users who think Misbah the kaptaan should be vindicated of all blame.

The Kaptaan is EVERYTHING in a Cricket team, and match.

9. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    Then you'd open Cricket Talk to find:-

***** the problem?

***** tuk tuk?

***** and *****?

***** is plotting for captaincy while ***** is

10. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    Then Afridi lost us the 2011 WC, Inzi in 2007, Waqar in 2003, in 1999....

11. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012
    :rofl I'm so sick of seeing both their names and I'm sick of myself bashing Misbah. I don't even care to defend Afridi anymore - he was such a turd this world cup. Thanks for the good times bro.

12. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    Pakistan would have never won the 1992 WC if Imran was not the Captain. Captaincy is very important in Cricket.

13. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    Same Imran also said system was to blame for this WC debacle

And I agree, why are we not producing batsman on par with other countries? That is a question that needs answering. None of our batsman look half as accomplished as others do on debut

Look at Russow, look at Smith, look at Williamson, they look calm, mature and have good shots, this isn't something a captain can do

In 1992, talent was more important. Now with fielding, etc, improving, we are left way too behind. Natural talent alone can only take you so far

14. Donal Cozzie

Donal Cozzie Tracer Bullet

Nov 4, 2014
    You're pretty spot on tbh.

Misbah was always a pretty ordinary captain, but bottom line is IMO he was the best batsman in your team and the only one who had the bottle to grit out an innings and not throw it away. He is in no way the sole harbringer of Pakistans ODI failings like some here would have you believe and the way he especially is victimised while others escape criticism annoys me. Too much bias from some here.

Next 2 years will probably decide how Misbah is viewed. If Pakistan continue to suck people will miss him and credit him more, if Pakistan do better he'll probably be seen as someone who should have quit in 2013.

15. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    This, I agree with overall too. I just believe that people here are too blind to separate his captaincy failings, with the general failure of our domestic system, the quality isn't there, and it needs to be seen why. Also, the lack of concern shown towards the fielding from the bottom must change. It is a vital part of the game

16. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    This is one of those very rare moments when Wistful isnt trolling folks, I suggest we all enjoy it while it lasts :lol

17. Pakistani4Life

Pakistani4Life Youngsta Beauty

Feb 15, 2015
    How about we get some 10 year old school boys and have any captain you wish. They still won't be good. I agree with you though that its a very important position, but why do you act like the captain is some mystical position that controls all of Pakistani cricket.

18. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    lol, I was just going to say this

19. DONhill

DONhill Talented

Feb 4, 2015

You do not get it.

An aggressive kaptaan will have an aggressive effect on his team. This is why with Afridi, Pakistan reached the SF of the WC in 2011. In 1999 we got to the final. 92, won the cup. There's a common theme, the Kaptaan.

What effect has McCullum on NZ?
    What effect did Ganguly have on India?
    What effect did/has Cook on England?

Kaptaan is the nucleus of a team.

20. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    Spot on!

You can blame the captain if some deserving talent is not being picked, but here, other than Fawad, who else was there? There is no way Fawad was winning us that game anyway, mind

21. ASLI-PATHAN

Apr 26, 2011
    He is trolling believe me.

22. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    So all Bangladesh lack is an aggressive Kaptaan? What about Ireland? Zimbabwe?
    Hold it right there. We got West Indies in the QF, and not just West Indies, a Windies that couldn't buy a win if it tried
    With a team full of ATG's, I don't see this team anywhere near close to it
    No, there's a common theme, a brilliant team

Not very when he has to play in the Subcontinent, unless he plays a blinder himself
    In India, a lot, due to the fact that his bowlers and his own batting thrived there

Abroad?

23. Pakistani4Life

Feb 15, 2015
    Why don't we all just realize that everything needs to improve.
    Fielding was horrid.
    Batting failed in every way possible.
    We have our better bowlers coming back soon, so we should be even better in this regard. I think Muhammad Amir and Junaid Khan could be a stunning duo.

But at least in this world cup, captaincy was not the fault. We saw very aggressive fielding positions coming from Misbah. Not sure how he could have changed the batting lineup anymore. Everyone always suggests he makes some crazy changes to the batting line up, but it's almost impossible to actually do. It would be a joke to make Umar Akmal an opener.

We need to raise new batsmen in the next few years.

24. DONhill

DONhill Talented

Feb 4, 2015

Then it seems most people here do not understand the role of a kaptaan in Cricket.

Compare a football Kaptaan to a Cricket Kaptaan. In Footy, a kaptaan doesn't have his say on who is picked, who plays in what position, has zero say on tactics and strategy - all he does is motive his players on the field.

In Cricket, it's the total opposite, the kaptaan is responsible for everything - the buk stops at the kaptaan.

It's not just about Pakistan cricket, it about the role a kaptaan plays in Cricket.

25. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    Huh?

The tactics are nowadays decided by coaching staff and the captain in tandem. We had a selection team in Australia for selecting the XI.

Ironically, the football thing is not true. Just check Arsenal, people blame the Kaptaan for not organsing the defence, for not being pro-active, encouraging the players, getting them motivated, etc

26. DONhill

DONhill Talented

Feb 4, 2015

Irrelevant who we faced in the WC etc. Your beloved Misbah, most clam, experienced, etc - decided to go agressive when Pakistan lost 2 matches.

Can't believe you do not see what Ganguly did for India. He had rubbish bowlers at his disposal but instilled aggressiveness in the team.

27. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    Once again, to be clear

What captain was winning us this WC?

We were absolutely annihilated by India, West Indies and Australia. We can put WI down to poor captaincy but the other two? The gulf in class was obvious

28. DONhill

DONhill Talented

Feb 4, 2015
    You must be watching some other form of Cricket.

On the pitch - Who decides who bowls? Who places the fielders? The water boy?

29. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    We're talking results here, not instilled aggressiveness

So did Misbah do the same with Wahab? Nope

Did Misbah do it with Sarfraz? Nope

Our batsman lack nerve, talent and the right mindset.

Misbah's captaincy was pathetic at times, but we didn't lose because of that. We lost because our squad was not good enough, and the buck for that does not stop with Misbah. It's the problem in our structure, and it's getting bigger and bigger. Lack of professionalism, terrible pitches and terrible quality in domestic is the biggest reason, and unless it's rectified, this will only get bigger

30. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    The captain.

Tell me, what should Misbah have done to win us the Quarter Final?

31. Pakistani4Life

Feb 15, 2015
    Agreed. But the captain's job is not to be a coach.

Its kind of like when the BP oil spill occurred and everyone suddenly blamed Obama. What do you expect him to do? Cup the oil with his own hands?

Same with being a captain. If there is no talent/no drive it seems from the batsmen that were selected, BY A SELECTION COMMITTEE, you might as well expect mediocre results.
    My personal belief is remove all these guys who are supposedly talented yet have terrible shot selection. (Umar Akmal, that's you) Raise some youngsters who are actually driven in the middle.

32. iZeeshan

May 22, 2012

Yeah, not the sole harbinger. It's hard for me to imagine that even if Misbah is preaching some sort of "aaraam se" attitude, that these grown men aren't smart enough to be like, "yo screw the captain, I know how to score, I'm gonna do it." But it's also hard to do that when you don't have the confidence and are afraid of getting kicked out. To be honest, the whole system is screwed up.

I do blame Misbah for a lot of it though. He did ruin what Pakistan cricket is famous for (unpredictable brilliant-ness) and you can't even argue that with this "new, safe" approach that Pakistan won more games, because we were absolute shit in 2014.

Nevertheless, I have to disagree with your last point. It's pretty obvious that the team will suck for 2 years. Misbah has left it in a bad shape - there has been no plan, no captain groomed, and the entire team requires an attitude shift. New players will come and go (hopefully). So I don't think I'll Misbah ever, nor will anyone.

As there is complete bias against Misbah, I've also seen too much bias for Misbah. This notion that the Pakistan team would be bundled out for 50 or 100 or whatever without him is absolutely incorrect.

Fair.

33. DONhill

DONhill Talented

Feb 4, 2015

For sure, I am not saying that Misbah should coach, but as any kaptaan, he can give tips, but more importantly he as a kaptaan he should guide and influence his team. All I was asking, like any other Pakistan fan, was for Misbah to instill aggression.

You cannot say we do not have talent. When the Spot Fixing scandal broke, we just lost one batsman, Butt, for Misbah. the rest is history. One man had such a pacifist effect on the team since then.

34. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    Which he did in the last few games, ironically, including the one we lost

35. DONhill

DONhill Talented

Feb 4, 2015

And here lies the point - it was too late.

36. Donal Cozzie

Nov 4, 2014
    From a neutral POV I actually thought Misbah was excellent with his field settings and bowlers after the first 2 games. Left it too late though

37. Wistful Reminisces

Sep 21, 2012
    True, and I'm not denying that

Like I said before, pathetic captaincy at times, and lost us the WI game. But.... there's no denying the quality batsman are just not there, and that's the fault of domestic. We all saw how brilliant (Sarcasm) our batsman were when they tried aggression

38. Pakistani4Life

Feb 15, 2015
    Talent without drive and execution is so worthless. Umar Akmal is such a perfect example of this. So hyped up, and then completely inconsistent when we need him.
    So just list out a lost of at least 6 talented batsmen we have available. Please and thank you.

39. DONhill

DONhill Talented

Feb 4, 2015

Yes, and unless a team is aggressive, results are few and far between. Oh wait, that's exactly what happened with Misbah at the helm.

If Misbah was just some #4 batsman, no one would give a monkeys, but because he is/was kaptaan, everyone gives a monkey.

40. s_h_a_f

s_h_a_f Whispering Death

Dec 26, 2011
    Yes I know the meaning of building. You are saying as if bowlers like Ajmal grow on trees and are easily replaceable.

And [email protected] Inzi our best ODI bat. That crown belongs to Anwar easily.