Sikandar Bakht, mithaai baante, main wapis nahi aa raha:- Misbah

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Wistful Reminisces, Mar 24, 2015.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. sheikh

sheikh Emerging Player

May 10, 2010
    Correct me if I am wrong....didn't he get out playing an aggressive shot vs AUS? Maybe had he tuk tuked more we would have had atleast 40 more runs to play with... but then again most cricistanis here are to blind/ignorant to see that a team's batting is dependent upon 6/7 players...not just 1. Why don't you start talking about our incompetent batsmen like shehzad, jamshed, yk, akmal, maqsood, afridi?? Yet your criticize the only player who got us runs...It impossible to score "freely" or "aggressively" when you have such consistent failures around you. But then again lets blame misbah, the only guy who scores runs...

2. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Afridi was an aggressive, attacking captain?

If you're implying patting on players buttocks, kissing them on their cheeks is aggressive or attacking captaincy then I'll agree.

I don't think we've had an attacking-minded captain since a long, long time. If anything then Afridi was as defensive as Misbah who is criticised for being defensive all the time.

Patting on people's buttocks, hurling out the standard BCs, MCs can only be a sign of an attacking-minded captain in Pakistan or for people who are completely unaware of what it means to be an aggressive/attacking captain which got a lot to do with the tactical aspect of the game rather than the show-off one.

If anything then the closest we've seen to 'attacking' by a Pakistan Captain for a long time was Misbah-ul-Haq from the UAE match and onwards where he gave his bowlers the clear orders to attack and look for wickets and supported them aptly by setting supportive attacking fields, which is something also Wahab Riaz has spoken of in an interview with Daniel Brettig, Cricinfo's assisstant editor.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 5
    • List
  3. DONhill

DONhill Talented

Feb 4, 2015
    Bottom line, Misbah was the wrong personality for the Kaptaan job.

4. DONhill

DONhill Talented

Feb 4, 2015

I would however say Younis, Malik, and Hafeez are more aggressive in nature compared to Misbah.

5. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Kaptaan

Jul 20, 2012
    Possessing an aggressive personality means shit all when it comes to captaincy which MS Dhoni has proved. You just need to be a good reader of the game(and be well aware of your team's limitations if there are any specific ones), be able to motivate your players and keep them on their toes(have their respect) and if you have a competitive team, you tick all the boxes for being able to challenge for the major trophies.

6. DONhill

DONhill Talented

Feb 4, 2015

Bhai mere, you are not reading what I am saying.

Being aggressive in nature is a precursor to being an aggressive Kaptaan, however, being an aggressive in nature doesn't mean said person is destined to be an aggressive Kaptaan. This is PRECISELY why Saeed Anwar was a timid kaptaan.

No matter what, the common trait with an aggressive kaptaan (and success) is an aggressive nature.

As I have said, I personally believe, in my opinion, Misbah was the wrong personality for the job.

7. DONhill

DONhill Talented

Feb 4, 2015
    Steve Waugh on face value was cooler than being ice, ICE COOL; light years ahead of Dhoni et al. Deep down, when you read his interviews, watch his interviews, and followed his game - Steve Waugh was aggressive as you can get. It is no surprise he epitomized Australian grit.

Point being - describing how something looks doesn't explain how something works. Deep down you have to be aggressive to succeed.

8. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
    Great servant of Pakistan Cricket. Pity he had bunch of loser players in his line up like Umar, Shehzad, etc.
    If they had shown the fight that Misbah/Wahab and to a certain extent Sarfraz showed, the outcome may have been different.

The void he left will be hard to fill.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
    • List
  9. Kray_Jackson7

Kray_Jackson7 Youngsta Beauty

Feb 24, 2015
    Good on Misbah firing back, a lot of unneccasary things were said about him and nice to see him respond.

That being said, Misbah has had since 2011 to rebuild the side. People complaining about Shehzad, Umar and Afridi perhaps a reminder to the 2013 CT when we played ever worse than the world cup (Shehzad, Umar and Afridi were all absent so no scapegoating :( ). How people can turn a blind eye to that and focus on targetting Shehzad and Umar is beyond me.

Whether our middle order failures were due to pressure from the opposition or pressure from Misbahs style of batting remains to be seen and the performances of the top and middle order will be under the scope for the next few series at least.

• List
  10. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
    The difference in 2013 CT was that Malik, Kamran, Farhat, Amin and Shafiq were in the side and obviously the three listed are better than them.

11. Kray_Jackson7

Feb 24, 2015
    Misbah had his chance to rebuild. Not sure how much influence he had in those decisions, but he had more influence recently if the reports before the WC were to be believed. Point is he did have 4 years to build the line up around him that he desired. He went into 2 major tournaments with 2 different line ups and both times the line ups failed. Either he can't pick very well or the talent in Pakistan is well and truly dried up. Only time will tell.

12. P.B

P.B Smooth Operator

Sep 16, 2012
    Yeah, time will indeed tell. But for us fans sake I hope it's finally a turn around and Pakistan Cricket goes forward. We've had too many of this rebuilding crap going on since 2003 and since then we ALWAYS end up on the same spot.

Hoping this time it's different.

13. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    Misbah was captain for 4 years. He got all the support from the board but he could not form a decent team. We were experimenting with our batting line up in the World Cup. We played a different set of players in the UAE series with NZ and Aus and selected different group of players for the WC. First 4 games we played without a regular keeper of which we lost 2. Against WI we played with 4 regular bowlers and Misbah applied defensive tacticts by bowling out Harris Sohail instead of taking wickets allowing WI to pile up runs in the final 10. After all the noise from media he finally went with 5 bowlers and selected Sarfraz the match winner against SA and Ireland. After all these obvious mistakes if Misbah still thinks that he should not be criticized then he must be living in a different world. Now comparing to Afridi in 2011, I don't remember Afridi making any obvious mistakes as a captain that an ammature like me could easily identify.

• List
  14. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    So sad to hear this Bro. May Allah give u health.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 6
    • List
  15. AmmarAshraf

AmmarAshraf Talented

Jun 12, 2012
    Or may be having a chat with bowler before every delivery is known as "Attacking Captaincy"

16. Energy

Energy Cornered Tiger

Apr 22, 2012
    Don't really understand why we're throwing out the blame now, as far as I know most of us very happy when the squad was announced? Except the exclusion of Fawad the squad was pretty much spot on? It is not Misbah's fault when the other players (both seniors and juniors) failed to take responsibility.

Except Sarfaraz and Riaz no other player stepped up their game and they know it very well.

Some comments below that were made when the squad was announced:
    • Asli Pathan: Not a bad squad I must say.
    • Ahson Afzal: Happy with the squad. No Shafiq & U. Akmal and Maqsood are in there. Sad to see no Fawad but that was expected anyway.
    • Cani: Good squad overall..
    • Choi Saab: Not too shabby tbf, a decent squad considering we haven't really groomed any youngsters to take over.
    • Kingofdoosra: Decent enough squad.
    • hussain.r97:Thank god, it's a decent squad!
    • Nauman: Overall I am happy with the squad but can't really understand Sohail Khan's selection.
    • Waqared: On the whole I think that is a pretty decent squad
    • ElRaja: not a bad squad at all, im glad theve gone for pace over bits and pieces players.
    • Pakistani_Legend: I don't mind this squad at all.
    • ComradeVenom: Good squad. Unsure about Sohail Khan but hope he will come good if needed.
    • Don Corleone: Ah well, atleast it's much better than what was expected.
    • London_Lahori: Is anyone else pleased with the squad as well?
    • Questioner: Better than expected, although Fawad Alam should've been selected like other posters have stated.
    • SOPL: Surprisingly, this is certainly an acceptable squad overall.
    • Shahzebayub: Not bad squad so please try to understand no rona dhona again please
    • PakistanZindabad!: This could've been so much worse, thank God
    • Pakistan97: It's good squad
    • Fallen King: Overall, this is good squad.
    • 96NotOut: As for the rest of the squad, apart from the glaring omission of Fawad and the illogical inclusions of YK and Hafeez, I'm pretty much satisfied.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 7
    • List
  17. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014

I know I was right all along :shrug

• List
  18. Kray_Jackson7

Feb 24, 2015
    Perhaps not, but Afridis record as captain speaks for itself as does Misbahs, compare the two and you will notice a considerable difference.

This world cup for us was sketchy from the off, the last world cup we flew through to the semi-finals, beating Aus along the way.

Afridi was the captain in charge of the ODI side after the spot fixing and it was him who got us through the mess and fighting through the WC but he isn't given any credit. Yet we see Misbah being praised and worshipped because a picture of him with half teary eyes, after reaching the QF, is posted :lol

19. Choi Saab

Choi Saab Smooth Operator

Oct 4, 2014
    My comment still stands as I'm not imparting any World Cup selection blame on Misbah like some here were claiming or even blaming all our issues on Misbah, what I'm simply putting out in my post here is that if there is a structural blame it lies with a lot of different people and why.

It's deplorable to just shove a systematic blame on Misbah like some were doing here.

Yes there are some things he has to take criticism for and I've mapped that out but the way he was being taken out for everything literally everything was wrong and unjust.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 3
    • List
  20. Pakistani4Life

Pakistani4Life Youngsta Beauty

Feb 15, 2015
    Yeah his blistering average of 23.57 led us straightway to safety.

21. Kray_Jackson7

Feb 24, 2015
    His 'blistering average' has been the same for 20 years. Infact i believe it was over 25 while he was captain!!! :rofl

I was talking about captaincy and the fact remains Afridi has a better win/loss record than Misbah, so whether he was patting the players on the backside or taking selfies with the opening batsman, something was right and the results show that.

22. Pakistani4Life

Feb 15, 2015
    Can you provide the evidence from this statement? Don't Waqar Younis and Wasim Akram have better averages (correct me if I'm wrong) than Imran? Does that mean they're better captains than Imran Khan?

23. XYZ

XYZ Banned

Sep 11, 2013
    Sikander Bakht strikes back - with MoYo and Ramiz Raja.

Sikander Bakhat: There is nothing personal between me and Misbah. I only criticized his wrong decisions, captaincy style and selection policy of the playing XI.

Shoaib Akhtar: Misbah was a coward captain. If he is not accountable for the defeats, then who is?

Mohammad Yousuf: Misbah can not fool the fans by claiming that he did not have any say in selection matters. Is he admitting he was a dummy captain?

Ramiz Raja: When we used to play, we had our eyes/ears/minds toward bat and ball - not to the TV as to who is saying what. If I was batting at the other end with Misbah, I would be so frustrated that I would be pulling my hair!

dashing_man Wistful Reminisces
    You got 4 more haters but what do they know!!! :p

3-25-2015 10-27-47 AM.jpg

24. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
    That's a lie, there were personal attacks
    Meh, another Personal attack. Kami summed it up brilliantly, how Shoaib can say all this stuff when he did nothing in the WC and was thrashed by Ross Taylor in his final match is baffling. As Kami summed up, Shoaib was destroyed by NZ and had no chance of getting a wicket, and was rightly dropped and is still angry

Yes

Okay, this is true, but not about captaincy and not relevant to OP

• List
  25. Pakistani4Life

Feb 15, 2015
    I thought Ramiz was a large supporter of Misbah? Two-faced much. Patethic how some Pakistani ex-players try to gain all this media attention by bashing other players. Specially without any facts to back it up, but rather hatred towards the person.

Also XYZ, you're quoting Ramiz Raja, but weren't you the one who said we should mute our TV's when he comes on? And said you hated his commentary? You're willing to use quotes from people you hate/disagree with to back up your point?

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 3
    • List
  26. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    Difference between Misbah's attacking and defensive captaincy can be seen by looking at his tactics and strategies in India / WI game vs Post Zimbabwe games. Against Zims and later they went with 5 bowlers, kept slips through out even for Afridi and were able to get 10 wickets in various game. After severe criticism selected Sarfraz who is not a regular opener but was regarded as match winner by most of the experts. If the captain doesn't know who his match winners are then what else to say. The most defensive thing that Misbah did as a captain was against WI when he demoted himself to 3 down as the wickets were going down and the ball was moving. If you consider yourself as a top batsman and the leader then you need to lead from the front and not to expose new comers like Harris to face the music

27. Pakistani4Life

Feb 15, 2015
    Sarfraz is a fantastic player. But failed us when we need him. They tried regular opens (Jamshed) because they've had brilliant moments in their careers, so it was worth the try.

Haris Sohail always plays at 3. He came in at 4 that game so Younis Khan go in. Haris Sohail was used to play new ball anyway.

28. AmmarAshraf

AmmarAshraf Talented

Jun 12, 2012
    Comparison of 2011 and 2015 WC. Where one was played in home conditions. Where ODI rules and regulations were completely different.

I am one of the critic of Misbah but blaming him for everything is not justice

29. shahbaz

shahbaz Banned

Oct 4, 2012
    Misbah wasn't that bad .. When your whole team sucks big time then Misbah has to do the tuk tuk ..he was the most reliable batsmen in your lineup.He was the player who always scored for you our team ..get over it man.If yu wanna abuse ,abuse that advertisement guy afridi who have played for 20 years and still he doesn't know how to tackle the bowler .. He always played like a aroth ..throw these kinda smbags from team.

30. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    That is rich! You couldn't make this up! Kamran Akmal is complaining that Shoaib got thrashed by Ross Taylor? Can someone ask this corrupt pile of crap (sorry mods, someone's gotta say it) why Ross Taylor was at the crease when he thrashed shoaib? Who dropped Ross twice in an over?

You can't say Shoaib did nothing in the world cup. He was an integral part of the 99 team that reached the world cup final. Shoaib was man of the match in the semi final. Misbah also got to a semi (Mohali 2011), far from being the man of the match, he was instrumental in the loss.

Was Shoaib disappointing in 2003 - yes, no doubt about it. Did he have a bad 2011 (at the end of his career)? Yes. But he achieved more in the 99 world cup than misbah can imagine and kaman can only dream about!

31. iZeeshan

iZeeshan Whispering Death

May 22, 2012
    I think he was being sarcastic.

32. Sultan Yusuf

Sultan Yusuf Talented

Sep 1, 2010
    Ohh ok. Anyway gave me an opportunity to blast akmal

• List
  33. XYZ

XYZ Banned

Sep 11, 2013
    Which rule book says, you can not criticize somebody you support?
    Misbah is not Ramiz Raja's son that he will support him even Misbah commits a murder.

Do you have anything to say about Ramiz Raja's comment - as to what he actually said? At least he is making an extremely valid point. What is your point?

If a person utters rubbish, does not mean that person utters rubbish all the time.

I am not blind, stupid or idiot that if I criticize somebody then I will criticize everything about that person.
    I am not blind, stupid or idiot that if I praise somebody then I will praise everything about that person.
    Only 10-year old teenagers (specially girls) have that type of love/hate for the celebrities where if they love somebody, they will blindly love everything about that person or if they hate somebody, they will blindly hate everything about that person.

The is a huge misconception that I "hate" Misbah but I only criticize Mibsah the ODI batsman and the ODI player. I love/respect/praise Misbah the test batsman. Are you going to call me two-faced like you called Ramiz Raja?

34. sheikh

sheikh Emerging Player

May 10, 2010
    Mhmm he definitely was... remind me how did hafeez, umar akmal, afridi, razzaq lose their wickets chasing a MAMMOTH total of 263? Stop dreaming for a "STAR MAN" performance to take you over the line. Its about teamwork, and the team is responsible for the loss not one man. Please get this filthy mindset that ONE man has to win a game for ELEVEN players

• List
  35. XYZ

XYZ Banned

Sep 11, 2013
    As brilliantly as his keeping?

Kamran should be the last person in this world to talk about Shoaib's performance in that match. He freaking dropped Ross TWICE in one over on Shoaib's bowling!

36. XYZ

XYZ Banned

Sep 11, 2013
    Wrong. We are talking about filthy mindset where a lot of people preach that Misbah is a "STARMAN" but expect other players/batsmen to do all the work.

37. Kray_Jackson7

Feb 24, 2015
    Misbah was a poor captain. His batting, while poor compared to other teams, is said to have been only because of the failures of the line ups he selected. We will have to see what Pakistan can manage without Misbah .

38. Kray_Jackson7

Feb 24, 2015
    Hafeez had a good start but threw it away. Misbah and YK sucked up all the momentum and killed any positive intent from our batsmen and giving the indian bowlers confidence and momentum. YK got out, while Misbah kept blocking his way to a good score, for himself of course. Akmal tried accelerating, but everytime he had a good over Misbah would put the pressure back on Akmal by blocking the next over out. Razzler, choked under the pressure and Afridi tried blasting his way out of trouble as usual. Yet 'starman' couldn't get us over the line.

Most players when firing can win you a match. Misbah will give you a 50-60 and say he did his job.

No one expected 'star man' to win the match, he is always a side player and not good enough to do the job. That is proven by his record, all them 50s but never a hundred. Ridiculous.

Misbahs strike rate at Mohali at each wicket-loss.

YK: 1 (3) (33 s/r)
    UA: 8(24) (33 s/r)
    AR: 12(34) (35 s/r)
    SA: 26 (50) (52 s/r)

Misbah might back himself to make up for his poor starts but the others feel the pressure and cannot sit around waiting for 'Star man' to put in his big match performance. With 77 required off 44 there is no reason Misbah still couldn't take us over the line, other than him not being good enough.

39. iho

iho Smooth Operator

Aug 7, 2010
    XYZ by posting Akmal's pathetic performance you have reminded us of all the miseries we went through as a cricket fan all those years :(

40. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
    Err... sorry to disappoint you but Akmal actually did say that at ARY. Will try to find the video