Stadium should be built at Wagah border says Zaheer Abbas; Gives views on Pak vs WI

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Markhor, Apr 18, 2011.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Markhor

Markhor Talented

May 9, 2010
    Zaheer Abbas gives views on a number of topics,Wagah border stadium,whether he would become a batting coach and the series against the West Indies.

Link - Associated Press Of Pakistan ( Pakistan's Premier NEWS Agency ) - Stadium should be build at Wagha border says Zaheer Abbas

2. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    It's a fantastic concept and I guess it would be relatively simple to seal off the two halves of the seating area of the stadium to ensure that Indian citizens stayed in their side and Pakistani citizens in their side.

But unfortunately the practicality of such an initiative isn't so fantastic. They may as well paint a big target over the pitch and invite terrorists to explode their weapons right there.

3. Major

Major Cornered Tiger

Apr 28, 2010
    what? Are you allowed to build a stadium at no man's land????

4. sohaib-789

sohaib-789 Emerging Player

Mar 11, 2010
  5. khana

khana Youngsta Beauty

Jul 27, 2010
    interesting idea but don't know how practicle.

on the another note zaheer was famous for his square cut on back foot and now he is asking current batsmen to play on front foot.

6. Aditya Khanna

Aditya Khanna Youngsta Beauty

Mar 4, 2010
    It's a rubbish concept. Expectedly, coming from an old retiree, it's high on sentiment and short on pragmatism.

Would this stadium be used exclusively for Indo-Pak encounters. Being miles away from the nearest urban center, who'll bother turning up for matches not featuring the two teams? Maybe spectator comfort is of no consequence to Abbas sahib. :)

Sprucing up the existing venues for enhanced spectator comfort is where the money needs to be spent. I am not entirely sure about the shape of venues in Pakistan but the one in Karachi looks pretty dilapidated to me.

Indian venues were pretty much the same till 5 years ago but the recent cash infusion from IPL and elsewhere has done a world of good for Indian cricket lovers. Eden Gardens, Nagpur VCA, Wankhede, Chepauk at Chennai, Hyderabad, Firozshah Kotla, Mohali etc. can finally be called world class. I went to a few this WC (Wankhede, Nagpur and Eden) and it was beautiful. Even the toilets. :)

7. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    @aditya

Agreed. Like I said there's no practicality to it.

The only way to make it work would be to build it as a multi-purpose stadium which could house regular bilateral fixtures all year round. It could be marketed as a peace initiative of sorts and God knows I'd rather both sides were spending money on something like this instead of on amassing more weapons.

You could use the stadium for Pakistan v India cricket, football, hockey matches. You could hold mixed concerts where Pakistani and Indian artistes headline the same show.

You could even use it to promote bilateral business in the form of trade fairs and things like that.

The concept is unique and the possibilities are endless but for something like this to work, both sides would need to be fully committed to resuming and strengthening relations. It'll never work if either side breaks off relations every time there's an attack by those who dont want there to ever be peace between Indian and Pakistan.

8. nirma1230

nirma1230 Youngsta Beauty

Jun 13, 2011
    great information you share, really nice and use full, appreciated for such a great sharing,