Steyn is no Waqar

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Patriot, Mar 24, 2015.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

1. Patriot

Patriot Kaptaan

Oct 8, 2014
    A lot of comparison has been made in past.

Same ground, same opposition.

But This is why I have utmost respect for Waqar Younis for what he had done and what he was capable of, and don't value criticism against him that he's a bad coach on the opinion of worthless experts.

2. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    He is a choker, in tests and ODIs.

3. ASLI-PATHAN

ASLI-PATHAN Cricistan Khan

Apr 26, 2011
    Steyn is very different & excellent bowler in Tests not so in ODIs.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 6
    • List
  4. Wistful Reminisces

Wistful Reminisces Banned

Sep 21, 2012
  5. DONhill

DONhill Talented

Feb 4, 2015
    No one is Waqar.

Anyone catch the commentator comments when the camera was panned towards Waqar during the QF?

6. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    No?

7. s2k

s2k Tracer Bullet

Mar 23, 2012
    I disagree.Waqar got hammered by Jadeja.

Plus Steyns Odi record is pretty good not outstanding as his test record but pretty goodm

8. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    He's a choker.

9. s2k

s2k Tracer Bullet

Mar 23, 2012
    Waqars WC record isnt great either.

10. DONhill

DONhill Talented

Feb 4, 2015
    Pigeon holing has begun. It's not just about WC stats or whether he was hammered on a bad day at the office. No one bowls or reverses the ball like Waqar. His inswinging yorkers are folklore in Cricket. He's the yardstick of lethal yorkers - something that is lacking in modern day death bowling.

11. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    Steyn is a brilliant Test bowler (better than Waqar), one-dayers Waqar beats him hands down. No disrespect to Steyn but he's not even the best one-day bowler in his team, that's Morkel

12. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    He's not better than Waqar. Just pads his stats against weak batting sides.

• Legacy Likes Legacy Likes x 2
    • List
  13. 1137moiz

1137moiz Tracer Bullet

Jun 30, 2011
    Arguable. I meant in terms of versatility etc. But anyway it's pretty close in Tests imho. In one-dayers, Waqar yorks Steyn

14. Invictus

Invictus Talented

Feb 15, 2010
    Steyn's stats are phenomenal is Test better then Waqar's. That's in a decade when batting stats and batsman have been destroying attacks and records like no tomorrow.
    Batting averages are going up, pitches are more batting friendly, bats are better. Look at the stats of Steyn and his contemporaries and compare the difference. Steyn is a phenomena. One bad ODI doesnt change that for me. Waqar had atrocious games too. Its happens to every bowler.

15. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    Omg! Steyn is the best. Wowzorz. Waqar played on green wickets all his life, lmao. Another stats guru.

16. MR__KHAN__JI

MR__KHAN__JI Talented

Sep 5, 2010

I'd say "up there" with Waqar in tests - and way below Waqar in ODIs....

• List
  17. Choi Saab

Choi Saab Smooth Operator

Oct 4, 2014
    Without realising Steyn hasn't bowled to the best of his era; AB, Amla etc. Even then we've seen the likes of Warner, Kohli take him on with ease.

Whereas Waqar would fed on his line up if he got the chance. Cheap wickets went amiss in a way.

Yeah I rate Steyn but Waqar was better and always will be.

• List
  18. Alchemy

Alchemy Smooth Operator

Oct 8, 2014
    Also we need to keep in mind the fact that steyn is aided by a good fielding side. Waqar is better than steyn in ODIs for sure. Might be equal in tests.

• List
  19. Disco Lemonade

Disco Lemonade Design Artist

Dec 17, 2009
    Nobody can be Waqar when ball is reversing, there is absolutely no comparison. Closest to him in death bowling is probably Malinga.

Waqar being hammered by Jadeja was a one off, Waqar was not at his peak either. After that match, whenever india played pakistan, waqar got jadega out cheaply. Someone dig the stats please.

20. Invictus

Invictus Talented

Feb 15, 2010
    Not really. I have never been a stats guy. I didn't even imply I like Steyn better. Waqar is my favorite bowler by far. But that doesn't mean I have to shit on Steyn.
    Steyn wins South Africa series. He is heads and shoulders above his colleagues in the age of batting. That makes him special. Steyn is a pretty special bowler and a phenomena in this day and age. Pretty much conquered every batting line-up in every condition.

21. Rhythm

Rhythm Cornered Tiger

Nov 27, 2014
    Such a great bowler averages 27 and 32 against Australia and England, the only two reasonably strong test teams in this era. Warner shitted on him in the recent series and he had no reply.

He's played majority games in SA, I don't know if they can make flat tracks even if they tried. The balls always seams or swings there.

Every time he bowls against strong batting teams, he gets shitted on. Pads his stats against weak batting lineups. He had three ATGs and one great bat in his team so he always enjoys scoreboard pressure.

Now let's compare with Waqar:

Bowled on pitches with knee high bounce.

Atrocious fielders, slip cordon dropped at least 150-200 catches. Still averages 23 and a SR of 43! Now that is bloody impressive.

Batting always collapsing, so rarely enjoyed scoreboard pressure.

Dealt with two back surgeries, was never the same after 96 or so.

Saying all that, Steyn is an ATG but below Wasim or Waqar.

22. Invictus

Invictus Talented

Feb 15, 2010
    The bold part was the point I was making. Above and below Wasim and Waqar is subjective. People like different things in bowlers. So they ranked them accordingly. But Steyn is the ONLY one in the last decade to stake a claim to be a ATG with his performance. No need to shit on him in order to make Waqar look better.
    You don't need to make player A look bad in order to make player B look better. Waqar was a force of nature I love his bowling. But if someone brings up Steyn I wont shit on Steyn to prove my point. They are a handful of fast bowlers going around. This game is now designed to kill off true out and out pacers. Back them, they need it.