Talha and Irfan in targeted training at the NCA

Discussion in 'Cricket Talk' started by Mercenary, Jan 18, 2010.

Talha and Irfan in targeted training at the NCA

by Abdul Habib
Jan 18, 2010 at 9:24 PM
  1. Mercenary

Mercenary The Lone Wolf

Dec 17, 2009
    mohammad-talha-domestic.png

I just spoke with Irfan to get an update on what he's been upto. Irfan said that at the moment he and Mohammad Talha are being trained together daily and that a lot of attention is being paid to the development of both bowlers. They have two intensive bowling sessions per day where they bowl 15 overs at full tilt in each session. He said this is really helping them work up a rhythm and implement the things they're being taught.

With Irfan in particular, a lot of work is going into his yorker. Irfan said he's working really hard on getting the trajectory right and in bowling it in the right areas.

When I asked him about his speed he said that he was clocked last week and it had improved slightly. This time he clocked 132k as his highest speed which is an improvement of 4k over the 128k he was clocking when he arrived at the NCA. Irfan said that he is feeling a lot stronger and that this is a direct result of the fitness training and conditioning that he's receiving at the NCA. He realises that there is a long way to go as far as his speed is concerned but is hoping it will keep picking up as he gets stronger.

He also said that he's waiting on a pair of spiked bowling shoes to arrive which is hindering his ability to bowl at full stretch. This is because without the spikes there is a danger of him slipping in his action and twisting or stretchingsomething so he's been advised to bowl within himself till they arrive.

Irfan also mentioned that he got a call from Mohammad Bilal who is a legspinner that he played with at AOCC club in Karachi. Bilal is currently in the UK and called Irfan to tell him that he'd seen Irfan featured in a UK magazine (SpinMagazine). So Irfan related the story about how I discovered him.

I asked Irfan if he'd been watching the Pakistan series in Dubai and he said that whenever he wasn't at the NCA he's been watching the games. Irfan agreed with me that the batting was the problem and that the bowlers had been doing their jobs to a good standard. He felt the pitches weren't condusive to the huge scores we're used to in the modern game but that was no excuse as both teams were batting on the same surface.

Habib conducts player interviews and writes articles for Cricistan.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments